Forum Jump: 

post #2641 of 3252 Old 08-06-2010, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post

Now comes my problem... 2.09 works fine for me. Do I revert back to 2.07? Kind of the opposite of what we normally go through, as in, old version works for me, should I upgrade to new version.

I can tell you this -- if at any point I get my Samsung to stream Netflix consistently and play Blu-Rays more often than not, I won't touch one setting after that. If I were you, I'd stay put, for sure, unless new issues surface with your 2.09. When you're on the outside, looking in at people who are actually able to use their Blu-Ray player with streaming wi-fi capability, you have a different perspective.

Trying to download 2.07 again this morning, using two different laptops, one connected directly to my modem. Will take three hours, if it downloads it completely, according to the download indicator. Glad to hear some here were able to download the firmware from their site. Gives me a dim ray of hope that maybe their posted version of 2.07 will work for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2642 of 3252 Old 08-06-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBeFrank View Post

That's what I use. I've never had any streaming problems (other than with certain earlier firmware versions). I've never attempted to use the wireless networking of the 3600.

ToBeFrank -- what brand/model of power line are you using? I see there's a set of ActionTec for about $65 online. If I'm EVER able to download this 2.07 firmware from the Samsung site, I'm going to attempt to install it first, before pumping more $$ into this. But if 2.07 doesn't install, or doesn't fix, then I'm going the power line route. Thanks again for your input ...
post #2643 of 3252 Old 08-06-2010, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsunged View Post

I can tell you this -- if at any point I get my Samsung to stream Netflix consistently and play Blu-Rays more often than not, I won't touch one setting after that. If I were you, I'd stay put, for sure, unless new issues surface with your 2.09. When you're on the outside, looking in at people who are actually able to use their Blu-Ray player with streaming wi-fi capability, you have a different perspective.

Trying to download 2.07 again this morning, using two different laptops, one connected directly to my modem. Will take three hours, if it downloads it completely, according to the download indicator. Glad to hear some here were able to download the firmware from their site. Gives me a dim ray of hope that maybe their posted version of 2.07 will work for me.

Just to have v2.07 I did download it, but probably will not install it just yet. As an FYI, when I first downloaded it, it indicated it would take 3 hours to finish. I stopped that download and immediately tried again, and it downloaded in 30 seconds. Maybe try that?
post #2644 of 3252 Old 08-06-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:

Just to have v2.07 I did download it, but probably will not install it just yet. As an FYI, when I first downloaded it, it indicated it would take 3 hours to finish. I stopped that download and immediately tried again, and it downloaded in 30 seconds. Maybe try that?

Thanks - I have tried that a few times. Mostly because it will just stop itself, even with the PC connected directly to the modem. I usually get to around 15-20 MBs downloaded, and then it'll just stop. I delete the old attempts, I re-direct the download to another folder so it doesn't try to overlap the previous download, etc. I'll keep at it. I download zip files every day -- seems to be the load at the Samsung site right now. But even when I downloaded 2.09 from the site a week ago, it took more than two hours. I think I need your Internet connection ...

I might try to download it through my Android phone. I'll try anything at this point.

UPDATE: Actually downloaded the .zip file through my phone and then unzipped, moved the .ruf file over to the newly re-formatted (to basic FAT) USB, re-set the machine and tried this 'new' 2.07 file (which was exactly the same size as those here on the forum posted last week), and same issue -- error in update data. It's the machine. Just to be sure, I deleted the 2.07 .ruf file from the USB, copied the 2.09 .ruf file over to the USB, re-set the machine, and it installed the 2.09 firmware. It's not the file, not the USB - it has to be the machine. I've already gone the CD route, and have tried 2.05. Made most of these attempts using two USB sticks, to be sure.

Looks like I'll go through Samsung tech, get frustrated, hang up or stop the chat, and then wait for 2.10, and hope that the machine will allow that update.

LATEST UPDATE: Spent 20 minutes on a live tech chat with Samsung. Nothing surprising, other than the person said it was impossible to 'downgrade' back to 2.07 from 2.09. I told her that several people on these helpful forums have done just that -- that it's possible -- and she said it wasn't. Then made the call to a 'tier 2' technician, and after describing all of my attempts, she gave me the info if I wanted to get it repaired by Samsung. Two things of note here -- first, my unit evidently was made in Canada, so it further complicates the repair process (according to them), and second, when on the phone with the rep, I needed to check the serial number. Looked at the back, and it was stamped out. There was another sticker on the side of the unit, that started with "CD xoxoxo." The rep said she'd never seen that before. I got the refurbished unit from buy.com, but it was sold through "Click, Go and Buy." I've never had an issue with buy.com, or it's re-sellers before. Still not sure I want to ship this off just yet -- am hoping against hope that 2.10 will be available soon enough that I can try that before shipping the unit away. I have about 80 days before the warranty ends. Both the live chat and the phone rep both said there was no estimated time for delivery of the next firmware. To say this has been a hassle, ever since I plugged it in, is a major understatement.
post #2645 of 3252 Old 08-06-2010, 06:26 PM

anybody have any trouble connecting to your wireless network? my adapter will locate networks but wont connect. help please!
post #2646 of 3252 Old 08-06-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnzy View Post

anybody have any trouble connecting to your wireless network? my adapter will locate networks but wont connect. help please!

I've generally had trouble connecting to my network, but I just keep trying, usually turning off the unit each time, and eventually it connects. You have to make sure you're inputting the right security code, etc. Has this been working and suddenly it's not? You're sure you have an Internet connection at the modem/router?
post #2647 of 3252 Old 08-07-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:

I've generally had trouble connecting to my network, but I just keep trying, usually turning off the unit each time, and eventually it connects. You have to make sure you're inputting the right security code, etc. Has this been working and suddenly it's not? You're sure you have an Internet connection at the modem/router?

ive tried that and i know the password is good. Its never worked tho. and when i chated with a samsung rep lastnite he said that my antenna (certain model #) that came with it doesnt work period. so shouldnt that be like a recall? since i did purchase that model because it came with the wirless antenna.
post #2648 of 3252 Old 08-08-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post

Not everyone is having issues with 2.09 on the 3600. I have not had any playback or streaming issues on this firmware.....

Thanks for the feedback
post #2649 of 3252 Old 08-09-2010, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have watched very few blu ray movies, Green Zone probably my third one. I decided to start watching blu ray movies because I upgraded my receiver to a Onkyo Sr608 and can have the HD sound codecs. Anyway, I tried watching the movie and it gets to the Universal logo screen(I think it was Universal), then the player hangs. The only way I get the player to respond in by physically pressing the power button on the unit, it won't let me eject the movie and it has been restarted. I tried leaving the movie in the player, with power off, and then hitting "play", but the same thing happens. I contacted Samsung "support" and was told to do this: To reset your BD Player, with the power on and with no disc in the player, press and hold the FF button on the front panel for five seconds. The language screen will appear and all settings will revert back to factory settings. Anyone else have any problems like this? I don't stream on this player or play netflix, I use my xbox360 for that stuff. I saw somethere that unplugging the wireless dongle might allow the movie to load, but I have not tried that.

Xbox LIVE gamertag: red71rum
post #2650 of 3252 Old 08-09-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red71rum View Post

I have watched very few blu ray movies, Green Zone probably my third one. I decided to start watching blu ray movies because I upgraded my receiver to a Onkyo Sr608 and can have the HD sound codecs. Anyway, I tried watching the movie and it gets to the Universal logo screen(I think it was Universal), then the player hangs. The only way I get the player to respond in by physically pressing the power button on the unit, it won't let me eject the movie and it has been restarted. I tried leaving the movie in the player, with power off, and then hitting "play", but the same thing happens. I contacted Samsung "support" and was told to do this: To reset your BD Player, with the power on and with no disc in the player, press and hold the FF button on the front panel for five seconds. The language screen will appear and all settings will revert back to factory settings. Anyone else have any problems like this? I don't stream on this player or play netflix, I use my xbox360 for that stuff. I saw somethere that unplugging the wireless dongle might allow the movie to load, but I have not tried that.

Re: the Universal movies, I had problems with 'The Wolf Man.' Same thing -- the Universal logo appeared, then it would lock the machine, etc. I eventually was able to watch that movie after changing the BD Live setting (in Network setting) to "all." For whatever reason, I need to change it back to "Prohibit" if I want to try to stream Netflix.
post #2651 of 3252 Old 08-09-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:

back to factory settings.[/b] Anyone else have any problems like this? I don't stream on this player or play netflix, I use my xbox360 for that stuff. I saw somethere that unplugging the wireless dongle might allow the movie to load, but I have not tried that.

Consider downgrade to 2.07. Go to Samsung support site to download the file.
post #2652 of 3252 Old 08-09-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:

Re: the Universal movies, I had problems with 'The Wolf Man.' Same thing -- the Universal logo appeared, then it would lock the machine, etc. I eventually was able to watch that movie after changing the BD Live setting (in Network setting) to "all." For whatever reason, I need to change it back to "Prohibit" if I want to try to stream Netflix.

Thanks for the info, I will have to try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1701b View Post

Consider downgrade to 2.07. Go to Samsung support site to download the file.

I will consider this if the other options fail. I imagine that Samsung is working on another firmware update. It is disappointing to know that I have friends that have much less feature rich blu ray players, and yet have no problems with any blu ray discs.

post #2653 of 3252 Old 08-09-2010, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Interesting that they still have the 2.09 version on the Canadian site
post #2654 of 3252 Old 08-09-2010, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetCoaster View Post

Interesting that they still have the 2.09 version on the Canadian site

This isn't the first time this has happened. I wonder if there are slight differences in the firmware versions.
post #2655 of 3252 Old 08-10-2010, 05:16 AM

I removed the wifi dongle, the disc made it to the menu, but none of the menu options were available. I then found if I powered off the player and then hit play that the disc made it to the menu, and I was able to go through the menu options and play the movie. Of course I had to let my dog out, I hit pause and came back and there was a Universal screen saver and I was unable to get the disc to play. Green Zone was not that great anyway, but I would like a player that actually could play discs.

post #2656 of 3252 Old 08-10-2010, 07:59 AM

For whatever reason, my BD-P3600 is working pretty much flawlessly right now. I've had consistent connection problems since I got this about two weeks ago, and then had two right out of the chute with two Blu-Ray Netflix rentals that wouldn't work. I've tried everything, and could not get 2.07 (the refurbed unit came with 2.09) to install. Tested everything, and got the go-ahead from Samsung to send in the unit. During the two weeks, I must've re-set the machine 10 or 15 times, and then had difficulty re-connecting it to my wireless network following each re-set.

But then, right when I was about to get my box and pack up the machine, it started working like it's supposed to. I've run about 15 streaming movies through Netflix and two Netflix Blu-Rays. So, I have about 80 days before my warranty expires. Not sure if the 2.10 firmware will be out by then, and even if I'd want to upgrade to it at this point.

I'll check back in next week. Still not sure why it's working now and wasn't last week. Maybe the countless re-sets and re-installations of 2.09 somehow did the trick. But I'm not gonna fiddle with it ...
post #2657 of 3252 Old 08-10-2010, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

I removed the wifi dongle, the disc made it to the menu, but none of the menu options were available. I then found if I powered off the player and then hit play that the disc made it to the menu, and I was able to go through the menu options and play the movie. Of course I had to let my dog out, I hit pause and came back and there was a Universal screen saver and I was unable to get the disc to play. Green Zone was not that great anyway, but I would like a player that actually could play discs.

All universal titles work that way. Hitting the up arrow above the enter key gets you out of the Universal screen saver. My Denon and Panasonic players work the same way.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #2658 of 3252 Old 08-10-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

All universal titles work that way. Hitting the up arrow above the enter key gets you out of the Universal screen saver. My Denon and Panasonic players work the same way.

S~

Strange, I tried all the arrows at the time, I guess I was not that motivated considering I was not that into the movie. I decided to watch The Pacific instead.

post #2659 of 3252 Old 08-10-2010, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

post #2660 of 3252 Old 08-10-2010, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

Saw the multi channel report this morning. I really hope they add to the HD.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...eaking+News%29

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #2661 of 3252 Old 08-12-2010, 05:29 PM

Just got my player back from Sammy after refurb...attempting to watch Invictus...gets to Warner Brothers intro screen, ie rotating cd disks after all of the intro views, and player freezes...powered down and back up...nothing...

Have searched thread with no joy...

Anyone got an idea how to watch this movie...
post #2662 of 3252 Old 08-12-2010, 10:08 PM

Have you tried switching around the BD Live settings? I changed mine to "all" and that helped me watch "The Wolf Man." Good luck ...
post #2663 of 3252 Old 08-13-2010, 04:10 AM

Quote:

Have you tried switching around the BD Live settings? I changed mine to "all" and that helped me watch "The Wolf Man." Good luck ...

Thanks for the suggestion...tried it with no joy...

It still plays thru all the intros without an issue, but when it begins to play the movie, it starts with the intro spinning cd for about 15 seconds, then everything stops...I have to restart the machine to do anytthing...

Help!
post #2664 of 3252 Old 08-13-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrumsp View Post

Thanks for the suggestion...tried it with no joy...

It still plays thru all the intros without an issue, but when it begins to play the movie, it starts with the intro spinning cd for about 15 seconds, then everything stops...I have to restart the machine to do anytthing...

Help!

I was able to play a disc in a similar situation by pushing the skip forward button two or three times before the end of the previews and the transition to the movie load. There are a lot of problems with Warner discs and 2.09, at least as reported on the CNet Samsung boards.
post #2665 of 3252 Old 08-13-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1701b View Post

I was able to play a disc in a similar situation by pushing the skip forward button two or three times before the end of the previews and the transition to the movie load. There are a lot of problems with Warner discs and 2.09, at least as reported on the CNet Samsung boards.

Yep...tried that as well...guess 2.09 is going to win this one...I'll send this back to Netflix and wait a while before I try to watch it again...

Thanx for everyones help...
post #2666 of 3252 Old 08-13-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:

Yep...tried that as well...guess 2.09 is going to win this one...I'll send this back to Netflix and wait a while before I try to watch it again...

I sent a movie, Extraordinary Measures, back to Netflix, too, thinking it was damaged only to learn that the player couldn't play it with firmware 2.09. It plays the intro, but will not play the movie. I had read on the CNET forum for Samsung that the problem was basically with Warner Bros and Universal movies, but this movie was from Sony Pictures. So far, people have mentioned, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, Land of the Lost, Invictus, Sherlock Holmes, Book of Eli, all new Warner Bros and new Universal movies. Many people have tried to reinstall the 2.07 firmware, but it won't install. The 2.09 firmware has been taken off the Samsung site and the 2.07 firmware is posted instead, but many systems won't accept a downgrade. I guess the only thing to do is to wait for another firmware update that will fix the problem. Very frustrating.
post #2667 of 3252 Old 08-13-2010, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandylp View Post

I sent a movie, Extraordinary Measures, back to Netflix, too, thinking it was damaged only to learn that the player couldn't play it with firmware 2.09. It plays the intro, but will not play the movie. I had read on the CNET forum for Samsung that the problem was basically with Warner Bros and Universal movies, but this movie was from Sony Pictures. So far, people have mentioned, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, Land of the Lost, Invictus, Sherlock Holmes, Book of Eli, all new Warner Bros and new Universal movies. Many people have tried to reinstall the 2.07 firmware, but it won't install. The 2.09 firmware has been taken off the Samsung site and the 2.07 firmware is posted instead, but many systems won't accept a downgrade. I guess the only thing to do is to wait for another firmware update that will fix the problem. Very frustrating.

I guess I am lucky with 2.09, as I have played Harry Potter, Land of the Lost, Sherlock and Eli on mine successfully.
post #2668 of 3252 Old 08-13-2010, 03:27 PM

anyone managed to make this player dvd region free yet ?
post #2669 of 3252 Old 08-14-2010, 05:56 AM

Quote:

Found the answer and got it to play! Had to take the player back to 2.07!
post #2670 of 3252 Old 08-14-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:

I guess I am lucky with 2.09, as I have played Harry Potter, Land of the Lost, Sherlock and Eli on mine successfully.

I'd be interested to know if your player can play Extraordinary Measures. I just received Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince and it played on my player, but, I wonder if the manufacturing date made a difference. This copy was from Best Buy and the digital copy offer inside the box expired May 2010. So, I'm thinking it may have been made before Warner Bros changed the code. I've requested Sherlock Holmes from Netflix and I'll try it next week and reply back. What a mystery!
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page