post #3031 of 8257 Old 08-15-2009, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpdp View Post

Got a question about Amazon video-on-demand on BD80: How do I enable caption? Thanks.

IIRC from using Amazon on Tivo, closed captions aren't supported.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3032 of 8257 Old 08-15-2009, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I encountered a quick half second freeze when playing the old Jurassic Park DTS dvd. Again, the freezing doesn't really bother me that much. Just look at it as if it were a "layer change". But if/when I buy a 2nd BD player I'll make sure to choose one that doesn't do this (e.g. Oppo's current BD player or their next).
post #3033 of 8257 Old 08-15-2009, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDD888 View Post

I encountered a quick half second freeze when playing the old Jurassic Park DTS dvd. Again, the freezing doesn't really bother me that much. Just look at it as if it were a "layer change". But if/when I buy a 2nd BD player I'll make sure to choose one that doesn't do this (e.g. Oppo's current BD player or their next).

As we have said several times, "the freeze" only happens on BD disks, not DVDs. Your freeze is not the same we have been talking here.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #3034 of 8257 Old 08-15-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:

I encountered a quick half second freeze when playing the old Jurassic Park DTS dvd. Again, the freezing doesn't really bother me that much. Just look at it as if it were a "layer change".

That's exactly what that was.
post #3035 of 8257 Old 08-15-2009, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

watched my 12 th (or is it 11th?) BD without freezes since getting the BD60. (FW 1.5)

The movie was "Grand Torino" ;
i have a "?" for those who have seen this BD: in the audio menu of the BD, there was an option called "button audio". what the heck is that? i have never seen an option like that ...it prob. didn't matter since i only have 2.1 ch setup, but still i'd like to know what the heck "button audio" is... engaging/disengaging didn't seem to make a difference.
thanks.
post #3036 of 8257 Old 08-15-2009, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It controls the beep produced when you press a menu button.
post #3037 of 8257 Old 08-15-2009, 10:44 PM
Advanced Member

LOL! thanks, man.
( i guess that's why all the menu selections made beeps and hissing noises!)
post #3038 of 8257 Old 08-16-2009, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackGuyver View Post

I was bummed about this, too, but after watching a number of DVDs using the 24p option, I noticed some odd motion when it was enabled and think you're better off letting it play without the 24p setting. If you put in a movie with people walking around, you'll see - it's like it seems a bit sped up for a split second and then it's normal. I've been watching BDs on my TV at 24p for a few years and worked as a projectionist for nearly a decade, so I'm not talking about the usual "getting used to 24fps thing" here. The 24 setting just isn't natural and the 3/2 pulldown works just fine.

Never had that problem with DVD's.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #3039 of 8257 Old 08-16-2009, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
never had a problem with the 24 either.

Jacob
post #3040 of 8257 Old 08-16-2009, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

...after watching a number of DVDs using the 24p option, I noticed some odd motion when it was enabled and think you're better off letting it play without the 24p setting. If you put in a movie with people walking around, you'll see - it's like it seems a bit sped up for a split second and then it's normal. I've been watching BDs on my TV at 24p for a few years and worked as a projectionist for nearly a decade, so I'm not talking about the usual "getting used to 24fps thing" here. The 24 setting just isn't natural and the 3/2 pulldown works just fine.

Video at 1080/24p from my BD60 is the most natural looking thing with *my* setup, which includes a Panny 50V10 that has a 96Hz refresh so the 1080/24p signal from the DB60 displays just fine. Really. I find that letting the PDP refresh at 60Hz which forces 3:2 pull down looks... odd. The resulting judder during smooth pans bothers me, where the 24fps flicker from 4:4 pull down looks natural. To me anyway.
post #3041 of 8257 Old 08-16-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:

I was bummed about this, too, but after watching a number of DVDs using the 24p option, I noticed some odd motion when it was enabled and think you're better off letting it play without the 24p setting. If you put in a movie with people walking around, you'll see - it's like it seems a bit sped up for a split second and then it's normal. I've been watching BDs on my TV at 24p for a few years and worked as a projectionist for nearly a decade, so I'm not talking about the usual "getting used to 24fps thing" here. The 24 setting just isn't natural and the 3/2 pulldown works just fine.

I haven't noticed anything of that sort but now guess what, I'll be watching for it all the time (not really). On my set (Samsung pn50b560 with CinemaSmooth), 24p playback just seems so even and steady. Nothing wrong wiith 3/2 pulldown at 60 Hz, but I prefer 24p (at 96 Hz of course) when I can have it. If it looked worse, I sure wouldn't care to go through the routine of manually setting it every time ...
post #3042 of 8257 Old 08-16-2009, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I should add that my tv does the 120 refresh rate.

Jacob
post #3043 of 8257 Old 08-17-2009, 02:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Some DVDs violently vibrate on the BD60 but don't on my other player. It has only been happening on a few disks in the complete X-files series I've been watching for the last 9 months but I assume no disk is immuneI can't say for sure because I've haven't looked at much else except some BD from Netflix. I thought it was a problem with the disks but one day I gave the BD60 a good smack and the horrible noise stopped.

Also, one disk in the series was unwatchable because it froze too much. I called Amazon (they're great) and they sent a replacement 9 months after I bought it. The damn disk still freezes in the same spots, and it vibrates like crazy too.

I'm at a loss - I can't figure out if it's the disk of the player. It seems very unusual that the replacement would freeze in the same spot as my original disk. I'll have to check into it more to see if it's the exact same spots and if they both run on my other player but I'd just like to know if anyone else has a similar problem with this thing. When a DVD freezes the only way to recover is to unplug the thing so I can start over.

This is my first BD player and I'm kind of annoyed by it.
post #3044 of 8257 Old 08-17-2009, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18 Brumaire View Post

For me, and I am sure, some others, this is non-applicable. My TV only does 1080i, and I have never set my player to 24p. Yet, I have the freezes nonetheless. It may be a factor in you Vanishing Point disc, though.

Next?

Saturation has had pauses with 24p turned on but hasn't tried 60i by the sounds of it.
Brumiere has his at 60i only and has had pauses.
So my 24p theory isn't perfect.
Perhaps it's a more complex fault that shows up certain instances when set to 24p.
The only way is for me to set my player to 60p and wait. I'll have a really long wait if it does pause on both 60 & 24p setting.
Where do we go from here?
I suppose I'll send a message to my local Pana agent and hope it adds to the chorus of discontent.

Regards,
moggy
post #3045 of 8257 Old 08-17-2009, 11:44 AM

Earlier in this thread I asked about Netflix being available on this player. I emailed Panasonic and thiswas the response for those intrested.

Thank you for your inquiry.

There are no plans right now to have Netflix but it may be added in the
future. It does have Amazon on Demand which is available with a firmware
update.

Thank you for contacting Panasonic.

Thank You,
Panasonic Consumer Support
post #3046 of 8257 Old 08-17-2009, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSUCHY View Post

Earlier in this thread I asked about Netflix being available on this player. I emailed Panasonic and thiswas the response for those intrested.

Thank you for your inquiry.

There are no plans right now to have Netflix but it may be added in the
future. It does have Amazon on Demand which is available with a firmware
update.

Thank you for contacting Panasonic.

Thank You,
Panasonic Consumer Support

That's a bummer. I was hoping they would add it so I could dump my BB membership. Oh well, I guess I will have to invest in a RoKu or another BR player.
post #3047 of 8257 Old 08-17-2009, 12:25 PM

I have a Panasonic DMP-BD80 bluray player hooked to an Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver through a Monster THX certified ultra high-speed HDMI cable. I'm outputting from the receiver to a Sony KDS-60A3000 HDTV with the same type of cable. Movies are great. Sound is great. I believe all settings are what they need to be. Here's my problem: When I go to listen to an audio CD (no picture) The BD80 will not play anything unless my TV is turned on. This makes no sense to me. With the TV on, the player will play the CD with no problems. I can turn the TV off and it'll continue to play for an additional 2 minutes until the TV's fan shuts off. Once the TV 'clicks' and the fan quits running, the CD no longer plays. What's wrong? What do I need to check/change? Any suggestions?!? I'm baffled.

Thanks
post #3048 of 8257 Old 08-17-2009, 01:13 PM

Liked: 12
yort265, I do not use my Blu-ray player for CDs, so I have never encountered this. I wonder if in your setup on the Onkyo receiver, do you have the HDMI set to output sound to the TV? I have the Onkyo 606, and my TV sound is off.
post #3049 of 8257 Old 08-17-2009, 01:37 PM

I got a BD80 from Amazon last Friday. While setting it up I found I cannot set the Audio 24P option to "ON". It is greyed out. My Sony LCD rear projector TV supports 24P so I'm wondering if there's some other setting I must change to enable the 24P option. I set the player to use Bitstream and turned off the HDMI Audio output since I have my audio signal going out through an optical cable and want the HDMI to be dedicated for video only. Maybe this is the problem but I'm not sure. The manual is a bit dense with information.

Does anyone here have any experience with this setting?
post #3050 of 8257 Old 08-17-2009, 04:50 PM

I can't get this turned on in the TV/Device Connection...HDMI Connection...24P Output in Settings. Does anyone know anything about this player that can help? I read a couple reviews but they all talk as if there's nothing unusual about turning 24P on and off.

I have a 24P capable TV (Sony KDS60A-3000) so I don't think that's the issue.
post #3051 of 8257 Old 08-17-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapser View Post

I got a BD80 from Amazon last Friday. While setting it up I found I cannot set the Audio 24P option to "ON". It is greyed out. My Sony LCD rear projector TV supports 24P so I'm wondering if there's some other setting I must change to enable the 24P option. I set the player to use Bitstream and turned off the HDMI Audio output since I have my audio signal going out through an optical cable and want the HDMI to be dedicated for video only. Maybe this is the problem but I'm not sure. The manual is a bit dense with information.

Does anyone here have any experience with this setting?

Most LCDs are not rear projectors. I suspect you have a SXRD rear projector. Most Sony SXRD rear projectors do not support 24p. If 24p is grayed out, your display is sending EDID information to the BD80 that is does not support 24p. There are no settings you can change to output 24p.
post #3052 of 8257 Old 08-17-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcushman View Post

Most LCDs are not rear projectors. I suspect you have a SXRD rear projector. Most Sony SXRD rear projectors do not support 24p. If 24p is grayed out, your display is sending EDID information to the BD80 that is does not support 24p. There are no settings you can change to output 24p.

Thanks for your reply. Yes it is an SXRD rear projector that supposedly has three small LCD transparent chips for each of the colors. If it does not support 24p why did it have the sticker on the box, TV, and manual? I also tried playing a Blu-Ray movie and opened the player's display information on screen while the movie was playing. It shows 1080/24p and the data transfer rate which fluctuates. This is confusing me now. Information that contradicts what the manufacturer supplied. Wonderful.

I tried to post this question as a thread but it got moved (buried) here. I hope enough people see it to help me out...otherwise I guess I will have to try and talk to Panasonic and Sony to get an answer.
post #3053 of 8257 Old 08-17-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapser View Post

Thanks for your reply. Yes it is an SXRD rear projector that supposedly has three small LCD transparent chips for each of the colors. If it does not support 24p why did it have the sticker on the box, TV, and manual? I also tried playing a Blu-Ray movie and opened the player's display information on screen while the movie was playing. It shows 1080/24p and the data transfer rate which fluctuates. This is confusing me now. Information that contradicts what the manufacturer supplied. Wonderful.

I tried to post this question as a thread but it got moved (buried) here. I hope enough people see it to help me out...otherwise I guess I will have to try and talk to Panasonic and Sony to get an answer.

When looking at the BD80 information window, the top line should show 1080p/24 (the disc format), but the HDMI output (the last line) will probably show 1080p/60. If it shows 1080p/24 you were successful enabling 24p. The EDID information is normally contained in a hardware chip. Sometimes manufacturers change firmware to allow 24p but do not revise the hardware. In this case the BD80 will be told that the display cannot accept 24p and the 24p choice will be grayed out in the menu.
post #3054 of 8257 Old 08-17-2009, 07:36 PM

Scrapser, KDS60A3000 specs show that it accepts 24p thru HDMI. The XBR2 SXRD sets did not accept 24p. The Playstation 3 allows forced 24p, but the BD80 does not. The BD80 must receive correct EDID information or 24p will be grayed out. Even if you connect the BD80 to a display where the 24p is not grayed out and turn it on, when you hook it up to your display it will probably not show 1080p24 in the third line of the information window. The EDID information received by the BD80 during the HDMI handshake MUST indicate that the display accepts it or else the HDMI resolution will not change to 24p.
post #3055 of 8257 Old 08-17-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcushman View Post

Scrapser, KDS60A3000 specs show that it accepts 24p thru HDMI. The XBR2 SXRD sets did not accept 24p. The Playstation 3 allows forced 24p, but the BD80 does not. The BD80 must receive correct EDID information or 24p will be grayed out. Even if you connect the BD80 to a display where the 24p is not grayed out and turn it on, when you hook it up to your display it will probably not show 1080p24 in the third line of the information window. The EDID information received by the BD80 during the HDMI handshake MUST indicate that the display accepts it or else the HDMI resolution will not change to 24p.

First, let me sincerely thank you for taking the time to help me out here. I believe you have described the situation accurately. The display shows the 1080/24p on the first line and 1080p/60 on the third line. I guess the question now is can anything be done to correct the EDID information on the chip. I know Sony has sent out firmware updates in the past on a thumb drive since I received one. Do you think that would be the way to achieve it if Sony is going to make an update available?
post #3056 of 8257 Old 08-17-2009, 08:32 PM

I resolved the 24p issue using Sony's online chat feature. It turns out that because I have my Blu-Ray player hooked into a Bose home theater system, it was not recognizing the TV supports 24p. Once I hooked it up directly, I was able to turn it on. Thanks again Bill for your time. It was helpful.
post #3057 of 8257 Old 08-17-2009, 08:43 PM

I have my BD60 hooked up to my Pioneer Elite SC07 then to my Pioneer Elite Signature plasma. Every time I play a BD my 60 tells me I have 24p on. Odd it wouldn't work when the signal is being passed through a Bose system. Well maybe not so odd since it is a "Bose system" (wink).
post #3058 of 8257 Old 08-17-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:

I have my BD60 hooked up to my Pioneer Elite SC07 then to my Pioneer Elite Signature plasma. Every time I play a BD my 60 tells me I have 24p on. Odd it wouldn't work when the signal is being passed through a Bose system. Well maybe not so odd since it is a "Bose system" (wink).

Yeah I hear comments about Bose all the time. I guess you can feel good you have your Pioneer system now. Just like I do with my Bose. And now we can both go about our business enjoying our choices...right?
post #3059 of 8257 Old 08-18-2009, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My friend owns a bd-60 and it is reading BD discs and then displaying "stop" we have tried multiple brand new BD discs non have worked, but DVD's will play on it fine. He has it connected to the internet, and has the latest firmware installed. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks a bunch, just want to enjoy some zombie movies .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3060 of 8257 Old 08-18-2009, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yort265 View Post

I have a Panasonic DMP-BD80 bluray player hooked to an Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver through a Monster THX certified ultra high-speed HDMI cable. I'm outputting from the receiver to a Sony KDS-60A3000 HDTV with the same type of cable. Movies are great. Sound is great. I believe all settings are what they need to be. Here's my problem: When I go to listen to an audio CD (no picture) The BD80 will not play anything unless my TV is turned on. This makes no sense to me. With the TV on, the player will play the CD with no problems. I can turn the TV off and it'll continue to play for an additional 2 minutes until the TV's fan shuts off. Once the TV 'clicks' and the fan quits running, the CD no longer plays. What's wrong? What do I need to check/change? Any suggestions?!? I'm baffled.

Thanks

What's your 805 HDMI firmware version? I've got BD60 going through 805 and have no problems playing CDs while TV is turned off.

If you find your HDMI firmware less than 1.02, head to the Onkyo firmware threads and get the firmware updated. Other than that, not sure what it could be.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Panasonic Dmp Bd80k Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd60 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Panasonic

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page