Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 8257 Old 04-03-2009, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug G View Post

I was planning this same thing until I learned how difficult it can be to properly set up analog connections even with bass mgmt and delay settings in the player. Bass mgmt here is less than optimal (IMO) with a 100Hz rolloff. There are also LFE level issues using the analog connections that need to be accounted for in the receiver so setting the proper LFE level can be a challenge. I decided I could live with the full rate core DD/DTS (640k/1.5M respectively) until I upgrade my receiver to one with HDMI capability in a few more years. I can tell you from experience these core tracks are far superior to the bitrate limited ones offered on DVDs today (448k/768k respectively.) Direct impression from my screening of MIB alone (640k DD) was that the sound was vastly superior to anything on DVD. Also, there have been comments by many that the HD "lossless" soundtracks aren't all that much better in many cases, its really dependent on the mastering which can vary widely from title to title just as with video quality.

Doug, so are you just using a TOSlink optical cable from the BD60 to get the core DD/DTS to your non-HDMI A/V receiver?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 8257 Old 04-04-2009, 01:42 AM

Is the lack of DIVX in the 60 model important?

If I can find one ...... I plan on hooking it up to my 42 inch Panny PZ 85U with HDMI cable. I don't have a home theater system. Is this the best way to go ?

How is it with the internet ? I have not seen much about that here.

Many thanks in advance.
post #333 of 8257 Old 04-04-2009, 02:48 AM
AVS Special Member

post #334 of 8257 Old 04-04-2009, 05:15 AM

I'm about to buy the BD60 from Amazon, and the only thing holding me back is the convenience of Netflix streaming. However, I just read here that Netflix only streams in stereo Audio. Is this true?? This negates the benefit for me, unless they eventually plan to stream in 5.1.

Does anyone know if this will ever happen? Or if the current Netflix BD players (like the Samsung BD-P1600) can even support a "future" 5.1 stream?

Thanks
post #335 of 8257 Old 04-04-2009, 05:19 AM

I tried this and was very disappointed in the audio. Stereo doesn't cut it so I cancelled the service. Picture quality was great on their HD offerings but there were not enough of them to justify the cost.

I'll wait for a product that gives me better audio.
post #336 of 8257 Old 04-04-2009, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Rash View Post

Since the Amazon third party retailer was located only 70 miles from me (unkown to me when I ordered) my 3-5 day standard shipping only took 2 days. Instead of waiting until next for it to arrive week I'm now the proud owner of a BD80 this week.

My only other HD optical media experience is from my HD-DVD drive for my Xbox 360. My TV is a 52" 120hz Samsung LCD (LNT5271F). My initial impressions of the Panasonic...

1) I love the 1080p24. No more judder even with standard DVDs.

2) Upconversion seems good enough for me.

3) No hassle set up with my older D-link wireless router which is located very near my TV stand so it was basicly plug and play.

4) Firmware upgrade from 1.1 to 1.5 took about 10 minutes. I haven't tried BD Live yet.

5) Command response from the remote is a tad on the slow side. I can live with it.

I'll eventually get around to playing with the VieraCast and see how that is. I went with the BD80 for the analog outs so someday I'll have to fiddle with setting that up but for now I'm using the digital coax.

I'm going back to play with it some more. I love new toys.

I look forward to hearing more from you about your experience.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #337 of 8257 Old 04-04-2009, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bancroft View Post

I tried this and was very disappointed in the audio. Stereo doesn't cut it so I cancelled the service. Picture quality was great on their HD offerings but there were not enough of them to justify the cost.

I'll wait for a product that gives me better audio.

Thanks - did a little more research, and it looks like there are no aspirations to do 5.1 streaming quite yet. And the HD titles are still only 720p.

No wonder the higher end BD players aren't including Netflix streaming - it's really not something an audiophile would use, except maybe in emergencies to keep kids entertained
post #338 of 8257 Old 04-04-2009, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalG View Post

Doug, so are you just using a TOSlink optical cable from the BD60 to get the core DD/DTS to your non-HDMI A/V receiver?

Yes, luckily I still had a decent 1m optical cable lying around so I was able to connect it right up. I was somewhat disappointed to have to give up my coax digital connection which is superior (timing recovery, jitter) to consumer grade TOSlink, but its still livable until I can get an HDMI capable receiver in a few more years. (I had literally just spent $200 to add the 2ch matching amp to get the rear channels for full 7.1 EX/ES so I'm in no hurry to ditch this setup.) Like I said, I found the core DD sound on MIB to be far superior to normal DD and to me even sounded considerably better than the typical low bitrate DTS tracks on most DVDs. I only have one full rate DTS DVD (Dances with Wolves) I would say the sound from this one was most comparable, although these two soundtracks are vastly different so comparisons are somewhat difficult. There are only a handful of full rate DTS DVDs and most have been discontinued. (The studios now prefer to use the space for useless extras - boo, hiss.)

A friend with a dedicated theater who uses Meridian processors/amps (with SPDIF interfaces to his BD51) and Ariel/M&K speakers said that most of the HD soundtracks don't sound appreciably better than the high bitrate DD/DTS core tracks and his setup is high end enough to reveal the differences. I read an article recently which stated that the full rate DTS core was indistinguishable from the HD lossless formats in controlled listening tests and the core DD wasn't far behind. Based on all this I decided to core soundtracks would still be a considerable upgrade even with my legacy receiver and I've not been disappointed yet! Setting up the analog connections properly can be difficult so I decided it wasn't worth the trouble and extra expense (for BD80 plus 7 decent cables.)
post #339 of 8257 Old 04-04-2009, 06:52 AM

Need help. Bought Panasonic BD60 (dissapoint no DviX by my mistake, still have little 20 days to return) using hdmi cable to Sony 46" XBR4, optical to Denon AVR-1705 (no HDMI input, wife is using this for karaoke). Should I buy HDMI input receiver for BD60 to get better sound and picture quanlity? Also, what is the better economy receiver that money can buy other than AVR-1705?
Thanks advance.
post #340 of 8257 Old 04-04-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

I look forward to hearing more from you about your experience.

Give me some time. I'm not as well versed (or equiped for that matter) on this hobby as some of you are. I can say I'm very happy with the player so far.

Quote:

I was somewhat disappointed to have to give up my coax digital connection which is superior (timing recovery, jitter) to consumer grade TOSlink, but its still livable until I can get an HDMI capable receiver in a few more years...

...Setting up the analog connections properly can be difficult so I decided it wasn't worth the trouble and extra expense (for BD80 plus 7 decent cables.)

Would it have been worth about an extra $70 for the upgrade to a digital coax output on the BD80? One of the reasons I bought the 80 is that if setting up the analog outputs became a hassle it still has that digital coax out that I can fall back on. However my reason is that my receiver is just plain out of optical inputs on the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchmarkjoe View Post

Bought Panasonic BD60 (dissapoint no DviX by my mistake, still have little 20 days to return)

The BD80 supports DivX.

"If you know everything, you must be misinformed"
^ old Japanese proverb ^
post #341 of 8257 Old 04-04-2009, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Rash View Post

Would it have been worth about an extra $70 for the upgrade to a digital coax output on the BD80?

I didn't realize the BD60 only had an optical output when I bought it. It was a bit of an impulse purchase. I had gone to BB to pick up another XDE for $79 but they had none, nor did any of the closest stores. I needed something and decided I'd finally have to suck it up and go blu-ray (I had been holding out due to BD cost/availability and most importantly the poor upconversion in most players) so when I saw the stack of BD60s and knew the upconversion was decent and offered 24p for DVD I just grabbed it. At that point I had already resolved myself to the core soundtracks, so it wasn't a huge leap, actually.

They had no BD80s, but even if they did and I knew it had a coax (and the 60 didn't) there's no way I could have justified the extra $100 just to get a coax output.

I've been perfectly satisfied with the core sound over the TOSlink so far. Like I said, it sounds better than my old DVD player over coax. In 2-3 years I'll be upgrading my DTR-7.2 to something with HDMI, so its only temporary anyway.
post #342 of 8257 Old 04-04-2009, 09:08 AM

Got my BD60 yesterday, really like it.

One issue I do have, I can't figure out how to change the color of the pillar boxing (in 4:3 video) from gray to black... it starts out black, but jumps to gray after less than a second and stays that way.

Am I missing something in the menus or am I stuck with this?(I don't want to stretch the image)

Thanx
post #343 of 8257 Old 04-04-2009, 09:08 AM

Liked: 11
Can you stream Pandora vis the BD-60? I got the Viera-cast working but dont see how to add other services?
post #344 of 8257 Old 04-04-2009, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by vconqwst View Post

Got my BD60 yesterday, really like it.

One issue I do have, I can't figure out how to change the color of the pillar boxing (in 4:3 video) from gray to black... it starts out black, but jumps to gray after less than a second and stays that way.

Am I missing something in the menus or am I stuck with this?(I don't want to stretch the image)

Thanx

Turn off the screen saver

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #345 of 8257 Old 04-04-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:

Yes, luckily I still had a decent 1m optical cable lying around so I was able to connect it right up. I was somewhat disappointed to have to give up my coax digital connection which is superior (timing recovery, jitter) to consumer grade TOSlink, but its still livable until I can get an HDMI capable receiver in a few more years. (I had literally just spent $200 to add the 2ch matching amp to get the rear channels for full 7.1 EX/ES so I'm in no hurry to ditch this setup.) Like I said, I found the core DD sound on MIB to be far superior to normal DD and to me even sounded considerably better than the typical low bitrate DTS tracks on most DVDs. I only have one full rate DTS DVD (Dances with Wolves) I would say the sound from this one was most comparable, although these two soundtracks are vastly different so comparisons are somewhat difficult. There are only a handful of full rate DTS DVDs and most have been discontinued. (The studios now prefer to use the space for useless extras - boo, hiss.)

A friend with a dedicated theater who uses Meridian processors/amps (with SPDIF interfaces to his BD51) and Ariel/M&K speakers said that most of the HD soundtracks don't sound appreciably better than the high bitrate DD/DTS core tracks and his setup is high end enough to reveal the differences. I read an article recently which stated that the full rate DTS core was indistinguishable from the HD lossless formats in controlled listening tests and the core DD wasn't far behind. Based on all this I decided to core soundtracks would still be a considerable upgrade even with my legacy receiver and I've not been disappointed yet! Setting up the analog connections properly can be difficult so I decided it wasn't worth the trouble and extra expense (for BD80 plus 7 decent cables.)

Thanks for the feedback. I thought about getting the BD80 and using analog outs to my 5.1 non-HDMI A/V but decided I might as well get the BD60 and save the difference for the A/V upgrade later. I can live with DD core til then. I already bought a BD60 and it's still sitting in the box. Now I can open it!
post #346 of 8257 Old 04-04-2009, 10:12 AM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

I wonder if the BD80 will do the rear surround duplicating that the BD55 did with 5.1 to 7.1 for DTS soundtracks when you are setup for 7.1.
post #347 of 8257 Old 04-04-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

Turn off the screen saver

S~

That did it, Thanx!

Mitch
post #348 of 8257 Old 04-04-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:

I didn't realize the BD60 only had an optical output when I bought it. It was a bit of an impulse purchase. I had gone to BB to pick up another XDE for $79 but they had none, nor did any of the closest stores. I needed something and decided I'd finally have to suck it up and go blu-ray (I had been holding out due to BD cost/availability and most importantly the poor upconversion in most players) so when I saw the stack of BD60s and knew the upconversion was decent and offered 24p for DVD I just grabbed it. At that point I had already resolved myself to the core soundtracks, so it wasn't a huge leap, actually.

They had no BD80s, but even if they did and I knew it had a coax (and the 60 didn't) there's no way I could have justified the extra $100 just to get a coax output.

I've been perfectly satisfied with the core sound over the TOSlink so far. Like I said, it sounds better than my old DVD player over coax. In 2-3 years I'll be upgrading my DTR-7.2 to something with HDMI, so its only temporary anyway.

I have to admit that the core sound of both DD and DTS on Blu Ray sounds great over coax. I rented Horton Hears a Who for my kids this morning and the DTS core knocked my socks off.

"If you know everything, you must be misinformed"
^ old Japanese proverb ^
post #349 of 8257 Old 04-04-2009, 01:17 PM
Ein
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 View Post

Not sure what you mean about the rain. 24fps surely can capture rain, as can 12fps and even 1fps (ever seen a still photo with rain in it?). It's the shutter speed that will determine how much of it you see. Not the frame rate.

For a movie camera, isn't frame rate directly related to the shutter speed when it's recording? You can't change the shutter speed without changing the frame rate.

Ever tried to take a picture of rain at 1fps (that's a one second exposure)?
post #350 of 8257 Old 04-04-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post

Is the lack of DIVX in the 60 model important?

If I can find one ...... I plan on hooking it up to my 42 inch Panny PZ 85U with HDMI cable. I don't have a home theater system. Is this the best way to go ?

How is it with the internet ? I have not seen much about that here.

Many thanks in advance.

Also, if the BD60 only supports 5.1 will it diminish the output of a 7.1 theater system if I decide to get one in the future? Or is the DIVX and the 7.1 capacity worth the extra 100 bucks? BTW, it the DIVX feature worth it ? Or is it a gimmick?

I was honestly looking at the new Panny home theater system that they have coming out soon. It is the wireless one with 4 tall slim speakers. It looks good and compact, as long as it is not too $. I read the reviews and it says it is a 4.1 but sounds like a 7.1.

Also, after reading numerous replies in here...am I correct to say that some people use optical cables instead of HDMI ? Or are they using optical cables in addition to the HDMI. I always thought that HDMI was the newest upgrade.

Sorry for the lame questions, but I am rookie to home theater.
post #351 of 8257 Old 04-05-2009, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ein View Post

For a movie camera, isn't frame rate directly related to the shutter speed when it's recording? You can't change the shutter speed without changing the frame rate.

Ever tried to take a picture of rain at 1fps (that's a one second exposure)?

There a few technologies used for movie camera shutters, but the most popular is a spinning disk with V cut out. The film is pulled when the disk blocks the light and steady for the open part (i.e. the exposure).

To change the shutter speed, you change the angle of the V opening.

Panavision cameras use a two prong fork attached to a spinning cam that pulls the film between the exposures. It is a very simple technology and why it so popular. Rarely does anything go wrong with it.
post #352 of 8257 Old 04-05-2009, 06:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:

Also, if the BD60 only supports 5.1 will it diminish the output of a 7.1 theater system if I decide to get one in the future? Or is the DIVX and the 7.1 capacity worth the extra 100 bucks? BTW, it the DIVX feature worth it ? Or is it a gimmick?

If you have to ask this question, DIVX is not important for you. DIVX is for ppl that aleady downloaded converted tons of movies in DIVX format. Not sure if BD80's DIVX capability supports HD DIVX or not (majority of the players don't support HD DIVX). But I suspect DIVX won't have much future in the living room. For home movies, AVCHD (which BD60 already support) is the way to go. For HD movie download, my friends already started doing mkv conversion to AVCHD.

As for 7.1 analog, it depends on your AVR. If you currently have a decent AVR that does not have HDMI input for audio or does not decode TrueHD or DTS-HD MA, but do have 7.1 analog input, BD80 will allow you to enjoy HD audio wihout upgrade your AVR. Otherwise, a new AVR paired with BD60 is the best way to go.
post #353 of 8257 Old 04-05-2009, 07:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post

I wonder if the BD80 will do the rear surround duplicating that the BD55 did with 5.1 to 7.1 for DTS soundtracks when you are setup for 7.1.

The BD80 amplifies DTS-HD 5.1 and 6.1 to 7.1 PCM or analog output just as the BD55 did. "It's a feature." Does not affect bitstream output of course.

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #354 of 8257 Old 04-05-2009, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vconqwst View Post

How are you getting this pillar boxing for 4:3 content? I've tried several 4:3 DVDs and none properly pillar-box as the manual states. Did you upgrade the firmware to 1.5 or are you still running 1.1? Is this with a BD or DVD?
post #355 of 8257 Old 04-05-2009, 07:44 AM

I can not see all my videos of my youtube account via the BD60. I can see only 4 of them. All my videos have the same properties. Is anyone having the same issue? Any hint?
Thank you.
post #356 of 8257 Old 04-05-2009, 07:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

If you have to ask this question, DIVX is not important for you. DIVX is for ppl that aleady downloaded converted tons of movies in DIVX format. Not sure if BD80's DIVX capability supports HD DIVX or not (majority of the players don't support HD DIVX). But I suspect DIVX won't have much future in the living room. For home movies, AVCHD (which BD60 already support) is the way to go. For HD movie download, my friends already started doing mkv conversion to AVCHD.

Divx support on the BD80 is up to V. 6, max resolution of 720x576 pixels. Max frame rate of 30FPS. I covered the Divx feature in some detail in my review of the BD80. Better than the BD55, definitely, mostly because now you can do Divx over a USB-connected flash drive. The BD55 had no USB so Divx was only possible from CD-R, DVD-R. Also from what I saw on the BD55, it didn't handle aspect ratios as well as the BD80 does on Divx and Xvid content.

AVCHD is supported in the BD80 from DVD or SD card only (not USB).

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #357 of 8257 Old 04-05-2009, 08:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

How are you getting this pillar boxing for 4:3 content? I've tried several 4:3 DVDs and none properly pillar-box as the manual states. Did you upgrade the firmware to 1.5 or are you still running 1.1? Is this with a BD or DVD?

4:3 DVD content is supported properly on the BD60 and BD80. Make sure in TV /Device connection you set the display to 16:9 (not 16:9 full) and make sure you have not set any ZOOM settings in the sub-menu (Aspect Ratio should be set to "normal").

As long as you've done this, and assuming your TV is not set to any stretch mode, then you should be getting 4:3 DVDs with pillar-boxes. Have you tried all of the above and is this happening with all 4:3 DVDs?

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #358 of 8257 Old 04-05-2009, 08:21 AM

Just got my BD-60 last night and watched Transformers on it. COOL. This is my first bluray player and I like it. I have had no issues as I was only able to watch the one movie so far.
post #359 of 8257 Old 04-05-2009, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:

if the BD60 only supports 5.1 will it diminish the output of a 7.1 theater system if I decide to get one in the future?

The BD60 supports 7.1.

Quote:

Also, after reading numerous replies in here...am I correct to say that some people use optical cables instead of HDMI ? Or are they using optical cables in addition to the HDMI. I always thought that HDMI was the newest upgrade.

It depends on the capabilities of the receiver. People with older AVRs that don't have HDMI use optical instead. HDMI and optical are both digital. HDMI does video and audio and supports the new HD codecs. Optical only does audio and is limited to legacy DD 5.1 and DTS.
post #360 of 8257 Old 04-05-2009, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boylan13 View Post

4:3 DVD content is supported properly on the BD60 and BD80. Make sure in TV /Device connection you set the display to 16:9 (not 16:9 full) and make sure you have not set any ZOOM settings in the sub-menu (Aspect Ratio should be set to "normal").

As long as you've done this, and assuming your TV is not set to any stretch mode, then you should be getting 4:3 DVDs with pillar-boxes. Have you tried all of the above and is this happening with all 4:3 DVDs?

-CB

Yes, I've done all that, no joy. I get stretched picture with every 4:3 DVD title I try (and with young kids I've got plenty of those!) I confirmed with IFOedit that these titles were properly flagged in the VTS as 4:3.

One thing that just occurred to me is that I was using the component outputs to my Elite RPTV when checking this (not the HDMI connection to my PJ) I wonder if that has anything to do with it? That would be surprising but possible, I guess.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Panasonic Dmp Bd80k Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd60 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Panasonic

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page