Official Panasonic DMP-BD60/80 Owners Thread - Page 121 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-18-2009, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the BD60 tagged with a Planar 7060. I can not get the BD60 to accept 24fps for my projector. When I go into the menu the 24 option is grayed out. Is there a trick for this ? My projector accepts 1080/24.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2009, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 60. Have yet to slip in a SD card. Is there a limit as to the size the player will recognize? I know 1GB is recommended. That some of you are using I think 2 cards. Or is it "the more the better"? I'm deciding between a 2GB and 4GB Kingston SD card. Only $1.00 difference.

I do have a ethernet cable hooked up though. Just can't take full advantage of BD-Live yet.

And on another topic...since upgrading to firmware 1.9 I've had no freezing. I've played over 15 BD's. Hopefully it remains this way. Maybe 1.9 is the fix for the freezing issue that Panasonic isn't admitting to. So now it's one terrific BD player. Great video quality.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gel View Post

Yes. I use Stuffit Expander to unzip and then burn the firmware file to CD. No problems.

Thanks for the help
Old 09-18-2009, 09:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDD888 View Post

And on another topic...since upgrading to firmware 1.9 I've had no freezing. I've played over 15 BD's. Hopefully it remains this way. Maybe 1.9 is the fix for the freezing issue that Panasonic isn't admitting to. So now it's one terrific BD player. Great video quality.

I believe there are plenty of posts about freezing on 1.9.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Just in case it was a memory related issue [ such as not being able to play BD-Live without an SD card in the slot] I left a 32 MB SD card in the BD60. I just had the card lying around that was too small for my cameras.

So far, no more freezing in over 100 hours of additional play far beyond those I reported earlier.

Not that this is the solution, but it can't hurt to leave a card in there, and I'm surprised 32MB works for BD-Live, such as with Starship Troopers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boylan13 View Post

Panasonic is aware of the issue, but this does not mean they understand the cause or have a solution. No one at Panasonic (at least no one that I've talked to) is thinking that it is a hardware issue so a swap won't help, nor will it likely even be authorized. You can play return roulette with the dealer you buy it from and hope that a player will behave differently (but there is no hard evidence to suggest that it will).

It's true that we had a BD80 for almost 3 months and never saw the freeze, but as this is a random problem that is impossible to consistently reproduce, we may have just gotten lucky during the review period. It doesn't prove that it's a hardware issue.

Best bet is to buy it, live with it and hope for a fix or simply buy a different brand player or wait for next year's Panasonic models. My best guess at this point is that it's a buffering problem, but I honestly have no idea whether it can be fixed in a firmware upgrade. But although I do sometimes speak *TO* Panasonic, I definitely do not speak *FOR* Panasonic, so take my opinion for what it is - an opinion.

-CB

Old 09-18-2009, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phussey View Post

I have the BD60 tagged with a Planar 7060. I can not get the BD60 to accept 24fps for my projector. When I go into the menu the 24 option is grayed out. Is there a trick for this ? My projector accepts 1080/24.

There are two 24p modes, BD and DVD. Both require the 24p Output mode be set to ON in the HDMI menu. Once set, for BD if your display is capable it will use 24p for any sources using this rate.

For DVD, I believe the 24fps option is only available when the player has detected film-based content on the disc. You can't set it without a disc or if the current content is video-based. I have a macro I use from my Pronto to set 24p for DVDs and occasionally I've hit it too soon while the intro (studio, production co, etc.) trailers are playing (which are video mode titles) and the 24p in the display menu will be grayed out. I have to wait until the actual title starts so the player knows its film based and then I can set it.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:07 AM

Well, I can only speak from my own experiences so far since upgrading to 1.9. That I've watched over 15 BD's and there was not one instance of freezing. Maybe up to 20 BD's or more. Don't recall the exact number.

Before I upgraded I had freezing with almost every other title.

So whether it only fixed my machine I don't know. Maybe it's a coincidence that I haven't had one case of freezing in over 20 titles. Will post again after I buy another 20 BD's. Though, I think it's almost safe to assume that if I haven't had freezing in over 20 titles it shouldn't rear it's head on the 38th BD. Could be wrong.

As for upgrading firmware with CD's...why not just use the ethernet port? I only used a disc because I had yet to install my internet in my new home. Otherwise I would be upgrading online.

Speaking of which...back to my quesiton...is there such thing as too much memory for the SD card we're to slip into our BD players? Will it not recognize 8GB SD cards?
Old 09-18-2009, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I have a 60. Have yet to slip in a SD card. Is there a limit as to the size the player will recognize? I know 1GB is recommended. That some of you are using I think 2 cards. Or is it "the more the better"? I'm deciding between a 2GB and 4GB Kingston SD card. Only $1.00 difference.

If you check, the 4GB should be a SDHC vs the 2GB SD card. The SDHC is faster for what it's worth and I would go for that.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:30 AM

It's recommended that we get a SDHC 4GB over a standard SD card? Why? I mean we know they're faster but is it necessary for BD-Live?

And since some one here is using a 32GB without problems for over 100 hours. I just might get a cheap 8GB. And if I go with an 8GB is it also recommended to get a SDHC?
Old 09-18-2009, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It's recommended that we get a SDHC 4GB over a standard SD card? Why? I mean we know they're faster but is it necessary for BD-Live?

There is no reason. BD-Live only mandates 1GB minimum. Larger cards let you store more garbage without the need for cleanup.

Quote:

And since some one here is using a 32GB without problems for over 100 hours. I just might get a cheap 8GB. And if I go with an 8GB is it also recommended to get a SDHC?

Standard SD card tops at 2GB. Anything 4GB to 32GB is called SDHC and doesn't necessary mean faster speed. SDHC cards are rated with class numbers. Most are slower class 2 cards (2MB/s), same as normal slow SD cards.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD will only be downgraded to DTS core and Dolby Digital companion track if the specific Blu-ray title has menu sound effects or if the BD-Secondary Audio track is active. Otherwise DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD will be maintained in full quality and extracted to PCM in the player, routed to the TV and passed through to the receiver in two-channel (again, this is how it *should* work, but this relies on the TV correctly identifying itself in the EDID/HDMI handshake as a two-channel device).

But yeah, it's always safer to set BD-Secondary Audio OFF so you won't have to worry about discs with menu sound effects forcing the lossy audio.

As to whether it would sound better for the player or the receiver to decode the extracted PCM to 2-channel audio, that's anyone's guess. Probably the Panasonic player's DAC would sound better, but using this is contributing toward a lip sync problem reported by the OP.

-CB

Lol it's either this, or if it's a low level Sony amp he has he could try a Onkyo SR607, which isn't much more than this item.

http://www.lipfix.com/cln_000001_lip_sync_error_.html

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
Old 09-18-2009, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Only recommended by me and it was because of the speed. Since BD-LIve is Java my feeling is that anything you can do to help speed things up is a plus.

The only thing necessary for BD Live is 1 GB of free space on whatever card you throw in there.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:24 PM

Ok thanks guys. I'll probably pickup a 4GB SDHC card by Kingston. Didn't want to spend too much. The 16GB cards I've seen are almost $100.00! That's a little less than 1/3 the value of my BD player. Never mind looking at the 32GB cards at roughly $130.00 CAD at www.amazon.ca.

Besides, I don't think I'll be using BD-Live that much. I haven't had that dying urge to check it out yet. But am a little curious.

Which BD's in your opinions have the most interesting BD-Live content?
Old 09-18-2009, 02:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Im using a 256mb card from a camera, got Crank 2 to function right. I don't have any freezing and didn't have any with 1.7 either, 1.9 now.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
Old 09-18-2009, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone been able to play DVD+R discs on this player? Mine won't play them, tho it will play DVD-R. Actually, now I'm not sure, it may have been the other way around, but it will play one but not the other. Firmware upgrade maybe? What's the deal.

edit: tried to search for dvd+r but the search function keeps changing it to dvd, which obviously does me no good.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:30 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sievers View Post

Has anyone been able to play DVD+R discs on this player? Mine won't play them, tho it will play DVD-R. Actually, now I'm not sure, it may have been the other way around, but it will play one but not the other. Firmware upgrade maybe? What's the deal.

edit: tried to search for dvd+r but the search function keeps changing it to dvd, which obviously does me no good.

Yes, I can play DVD+R, DVD-R, Dual-layer DVD+R and DVD RAM.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I've played DVD+R's, 16X Fuji's, DVD-R'S, 8X and 4X Fuji's and DVD-RAM's. All these were recorded on a Panny standalone DVD recorder. No Divx or non-standard formats.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturation View Post

Just in case it was a memory related issue [ such as not being able to play BD-Live without an SD card in the slot] I left a 32 MB SD card in the BD60. I just had the card lying around that was too small for my cameras.

So far, no more freezing in over 100 hours of additional play far beyond those I reported earlier.

Not that this is the solution, but it can't hurt to leave a card in there, and I'm surprised 32MB works for BD-Live, such as with Starship Troopers.

I've had 2GB in there all this time and I've now had 1 freeze. If anything, I'd stay with firmware 1.9 as I never had problems until 2.0. But again, I had not reached that magical 20 odd disks which people have reported earlier so doubt mine is caused by firmware 2.0

This freeze happened on a disk which in the beginning when it was loading showed 'connecting to the internet' or something like that. I don't think I've seen this before.. (it's always connected via ethernet).

Either way, what I noticed just before the freeze was that it slowed down little before it froze - like the disk slows to stop and then it comes back in 3 odd seconds.

I did expect the freeze to annoy me more, but it's quite fast I can personally handle.. of course a fix for it would be nice.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:50 PM

Perhaps adding the SD card helped Guitarman. Before I upgraded to 1.9 I assume I was on 1.7. Had a lot of freezing. But as I said after upgrading to 1.9 it hasn't happened once 20 BD's later. Will add some extra "insurance" in the shape of a 4GB or 8GB SDHC card.

Like I said I am curious about BD-Live. Even though I will probably not use it 95% of the time.

When I had my 60 serviced the repair guy actually told me not to upgrade the firmware all the time. If it works just leave it. That he's had lots of people come in as a result of firmware upgrading. Maybe they all used discs and not ethernet? Though some of you have upgraded using discs and report no issues. Though I'm not sure why you would use a disc unless your router isn't near your BD player.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:

Sorry are you using a BD60 or a BD80? The analog set-up menu is only on the BD80 because it's only for adjusting the multi-channel analog outputs. It wouldn't make any sense to put it on the BD60 as it would have no effect.
-CB

BD60, actually. Sorry about that, someone else clarified that for me in an earlier post. It wouldn't have made much of a difference actually.

Quote:

The OP originally had the analog outputs of the BD60 connected to his receiver directly, and video connected via HDMI to the TV. Connecting it via HDMI to TV then fiberoptic out to the receiver was my idea, just to put the audio and video through the same processing path. The OP said it helped but didn't entirely eliminate the problem. Your suggested hook-up is equally valid (Toslink from player to receiver, HDMI video only from player to TV) and worth testing. Another option would be HDMI A/V to TV and then the TV's analog outputs into the receiver (but I would think the TV's DAC is not the best in this chain). At this point, it's looking like the TV may be the culprit here as others do not seem to have audio sync issues with this player even with analog hookups.

-CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

Lol it's either this, or if it's a low level Sony amp he has he could try a Onkyo SR607, which isn't much more than this item.

http://www.lipfix.com/cln_000001_lip_sync_error_.html

Well, I just had an interesting surprise. A couple of programs on a couple of channels exhibited some lip-sync issues, so it's not just the Blu-Ray player after all, although it may be compounding the problem. After some looking up, it seems plasma TVs in general have some syncing issues.

So, I'm going to head over to the plasma forum and see if anybody there knows anything.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:

Selecting PCM using optical output will prevent you from getting discrete 5.1 sound. PCM over optical is limited to 2-channel. Since the OP has a 2-channel system, this is worth trying too but I think the guy you replied to does have a surround receiver so PCM is not his best bet. The best he could get would be matrixed pseudo-surround via PCM.

-CB

That's what I thought too. I was forced to go this route in order to hear DTS-HD blu rays as my receiver doesn't decode DTS. I was hoping I didn't have to do this with TrueHD. Still I'll give it a try to see if it fixes the problem. I'm wondering though if this would also down convert SD DVD Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtracks too?

What's kind of irritating is that you'd think they'd include a Dolby Digital 5.1 track on blu rays for backwards compatibility, especially on the DTS-HD only blu rays. It's not like they don't have the space!
Old 09-18-2009, 07:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmt1967 View Post

What's kind of irritating is that you'd think they'd include a Dolby Digital 5.1 track on blu rays for backwards compatibility, especially on the DTS-HD only blu rays. It's not like they don't have the space!

They do. Set your digital out to bitstream for both. You will get DD 5.1 from TrueHD disc and DTS core 5.1 from DTS-HD track when you use optical or coax connection.

To get multi-channel lossless, you will have to use HDMI.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmt1967 View Post

That's what I thought too. I was forced to go this route in order to hear DTS-HD blu rays as my receiver doesn't decode DTS. I was hoping I didn't have to do this with TrueHD. Still I'll give it a try to see if it fixes the problem. I'm wondering though if this would also down convert SD DVD Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtracks too?

The player will output the companion DD 5.1 track instead of TrueHD over connections that do not support lossless audio. Or, if you prefer, you can set the player to output PCM and it will downmix TrueHD (or play an optional embedded stereo mix) for output over optical, coax, or analog stereo connections.

Quote:

Dolby is a required format on DVD, but not on BD. Players are set to output legacy DD 5.1 and DTS tracks for backwards compatibility. But, since DTS is included on nearly all surround systems these days, there's no real justification for including DD 5.1 on every disc.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:

Yes, I am able to play DVD+R DL (same media as DVD+R just different compression); however, I'm still waiting for someone to reply to my problem: www .avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=17194018#post17194018

BD60 will play DVD+R DL, but won't allow me to seek (e.g. fast forward, rewind), only play/pause/resume. I haven't tried enough media formats for full verification (only tested three AVCHD DVD+R DL discs).

--ni
Old 09-18-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:

Ok thanks guys. I'll probably pickup a 4GB SDHC card by Kingston. Didn't want to spend too much. The 16GB cards I've seen are almost $100.00!

I think 2GB or even 1GB is fine for BD-Live, but I picked up my Class 6 16GB card for US $30 after rebate and I've seen similar deals now and then.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody_important View Post

BD60 will play DVD+R DL, but won't allow me to seek (e.g. fast forward, rewind), only play/pause/resume. I haven't tried enough media formats for full verification (only tested three AVCHD DVD+R DL discs).

--ni

I have no problem with seek on AVCHD DVD+R DL discs. All playback functions work. Sounds to me your AVCHD video stream is not properly mastered to AVCHD standard, e.g. not enough I frames for the player to FF or REW.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug G View Post

There are two 24p modes, BD and DVD. Both require the 24p Output mode be set to ON in the HDMI menu. Once set, for BD if your display is capable it will use 24p for any sources using this rate.

For DVD, I believe the 24fps option is only available when the player has detected film-based content on the disc. You can't set it without a disc or if the current content is video-based. I have a macro I use from my Pronto to set 24p for DVDs and occasionally I've hit it too soon while the intro (studio, production co, etc.) trailers are playing (which are video mode titles) and the 24p in the display menu will be grayed out. I have to wait until the actual title starts so the player knows its film based and then I can set it.

Thanks for the reply Doug. Appreciate it.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

When I first got my BD60, it would not playback DVD-R discs. The discs I was using were Verbatims, so they were good quality.

I slowed down the burn speed to half of what the discs were rated at, and now they play fine. So you might want to try slowing down your burn speed.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug G View Post

Hmmm, I don't ever seem to be able to access my BD60's Display menu (the one with the 24p option) from the remote until the DVD program content (movie, anime, etc.) has loaded. From zero, while the player is "reading," the menu doesn't seem to pop up. However, the 24p option is *always* available to turn on or off, never grayed out, once that menu is showing. (My TV is a Samsung B560 with the CinemaSmooth feature set to auto.) Are you sure the player really distinguishes between film and video content?
Old 09-19-2009, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1966 View Post

When I first got my BD60, it would not playback DVD-R discs. The discs I was using were Verbatims, so they were good quality.

I slowed down the burn speed to half of what the discs were rated at, and now they play fine. So you might want to try slowing down your burn speed.

I almost always burn DVDs at half the rated speed. I have had very few problems with any player using Memorex DVD-R media. Older dvd players sometimes have problems but any modern player works great.

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Panasonic Dmp Bd80k Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd60 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Panasonic