post #451 of 8256 Old 04-10-2009, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad uskfor View Post

Help!! I can't decide between the Panasonic BD80 and the Sony PS3. I have an older Denon 3805 receiver with Paradigm Studio speakers, Rotel 1080, and I love listening to music DVD's, so the lossless audio on the panasonic would benefit more.

Re: Audio - I have BD55 hooked up to a Denon 3805 with analog and coax. I don't hear much difference between lossless and the maximum bitrate legacy encodes on Blu-ray. If you have a halfway decent AV shop in your area, I'd recommend paying a visit to compare the audio for yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 8256 Old 04-10-2009, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Okay, silly question that might have already been answered.

I was previously leaning toward the Sammy 2550 (Reon and internal HD audio codec decoding), but those are not getting scarce, so I'm widening my options to include the new Pannys.

Is either the 60 or the 80 capable of internally decoding Dolby TrueHD and DTS MA? If so, can either of them do so via Optical or Digital Coax to a non-HDMI equipped AVR?

post #453 of 8256 Old 04-10-2009, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] View Post

Okay, silly question that might have already been answered.

I was previously leaning toward the Sammy 2550 (Reon and internal HD audio codec decoding), but those are not getting scarce, so I'm widening my options to include the new Pannys.

Is either the 60 or the 80 capable of internally decoding Dolby TrueHD and DTS MA? If so, can either of them do so via Optical or Digital Coax to a non-HDMI equipped AVR?

the 60 and 80 will decode true hd and dts ma but not over optical or coax,so you would want the 80 for the anolog out
post #454 of 8256 Old 04-10-2009, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNT3 View Post

the 60 and 80 will decode true hd and dts ma but not over optical or coax,so you would want the 80 for the anolog out

Okay, never done an analog-out like that before, can you walk me through what that looks like, specifically what the requisite inputs on my AVR will look like?

post #455 of 8256 Old 04-10-2009, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 24
"the 60 and 80 will decode true hd and dts ma but not over optical or coax..."

Just a quick comment. No blu-ray players do so over any digital coax/optical output.

It has to be either analogs or hdmi.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #456 of 8256 Old 04-10-2009, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Okay, never done an analog-out like that before, can you walk me through what that looks like, specifically what the requisite inputs on my AVR will look like?

Look at the back of your audio reciever..........they will just look like RCA inputs. You should see 6 or 8 inputs labeled "multichannel inputs" They should be labeled (L and R) Front, (L and R)rear, center and subwoofer. You may have to look in your owners manual to see the exact configuration. Then you attach audio cables (good quality RCA or even red, green, blue component cables as they are great audio cables as well) from the back of your player to the corresponding inputs in the back of your reciever. If you hit multichannel (or something similar) on your audio receiver remote, it should default the audio to those inputs. You will then go to the menu on the BD player and configure it to output audio over the analog outs. There it will prompt you to set speaker distance and etc. You will be shocked how great it will sound!
post #457 of 8256 Old 04-10-2009, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here's an explanation of multichannel hookups at the BigPictureBigSound website:

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Ho..._And_Why.shtml
post #458 of 8256 Old 04-10-2009, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob View Post

Look at the back of your audio reciever..........they will just look like RCA inputs. You should see 6 or 8 inputs labeled "multichannel inputs" They should be labeled (L and R) Front, (L and R)rear, center and subwoofer. You may have to look in your owners manual to see the exact configuration. Then you attach audio cables (good quality RCA or even red, green, blue component cables as they are great audio cables as well) from the back of your player to the corresponding inputs in the back of your reciever. If you hit multichannel (or something similar) on your audio receiver remote, it should default the audio to those inputs. You will then go to the menu on the BD player and configure it to output audio over the analog outs. There it will prompt you to set speaker distance and etc. You will be shocked how great it will sound!

Awesome! I had resigned myself to thinking that my POS Yamaha HTIB receiver would leave me SOL when it came to Lossless Audio, but I'll be damned if those 6 channel inputs weren't there, labelled just as you said.

Now, question. How will this affect the audio setup I already have for the DTV set-top box? Is it input-agnostic? What to do with the one sub cable when I switch inputs?

Nevermind about the sub - I answered my own question. There are two sub inputs on the back of it, a L (main) and R secondary.

post #459 of 8256 Old 04-10-2009, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad uskfor View Post

Help!! I can't decide between the Panasonic BD80 and the Sony PS3. I have an older Denon 3805 receiver with Paradigm Studio speakers, Rotel 1080, and I love listening to music DVD's, so the lossless audio on the panasonic would benefit more. Although the PS3 has gaming capabilities which would also get used. Is there a very noticeable difference in sound and vision quality between the two units? If not then I would opt for the PS3 and use fiber optics for the audio. Oh, I have an older Mitz. 62" DLP with only 1080i/720p output. Any comments are greatly appreciated.

If you don't mind the noise or the IR remote challenges of the PS3, its a fine machine IMO.
post #460 of 8256 Old 04-10-2009, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Follow-up query, Scoob. If I choose to do that, any reason why I can't just HDMI straight from the BDP to the TV for video and just mute the tv sound?

Shouldn't be an issue since I'm bypassing the AVR for video.

post #461 of 8256 Old 04-10-2009, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Follow-up query, Scoob. If I choose to do that, any reason why I can't just HDMI straight from the BDP to the TV for video and just mute the tv sound?

You should be ok....................I think. You'll need to give it a try or have someone else confirm since I don't have that specific BD player. There should be a specific audio setup in the BD player that should enable audio output over analogs which I don't think will affect video output over HDMI.
post #462 of 8256 Old 04-10-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:

your good to go,hdmi to tv for video,analog to avr for audio
post #463 of 8256 Old 04-10-2009, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can turn HDMI audio off in the player. Or not. Sometimes the HDMI handshake with the TV will adversely affect other outputs. But, you have to try it and see with your TV and player.

There's nothing you need to do to enable the analog outputs. They are always active with the Panasonic players. Turn off secondary audio in order to get lossless decoding. When secondary audio is on, the player uses the lossy DTS core and companion DD 5.1 tracks instead of the lossless ones.
post #464 of 8256 Old 04-10-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

If it plays from a DVD, it should play it from a card, no difference, just put BDMV into PRIVATE/AVCHD.

That was my premise before I started looking into this and testing. If you have positive results with a non-camcorder/non-digital camera source file, please send me a short clip to test.

I tried exactly what you describe, including renaming the files and matching the camcorder file structure exactly and the SD card function does not even recognize that an AVCHD file exists on the card. I also tried the DVD-R AVCHD file structure without modification on the SD card and that wasn't recognized either.

As I said, I've also found plenty of discussion of others who have been working on this for a while (at least since the BD30 generation). There is a one developer I'm keeping an eye on who has been looking at the file differences in depth, but he hasn't found a working solution yet.

My goal was/is to find a process to convert various files for playback from the SD card, so I can watch them then re-use the card for other videos. Although burning to DVD-R will work, I'm not interested in burning another disc for each video (especially since most of them are already on disc in other formats like avi, mp4, mpg).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

You can turn HDMI audio off in the player. Or not.

Yes, I turned off HDMI audio in the settings since my receiver doesn't support it and I just use HDMI direct to my projector for video.
post #465 of 8256 Old 04-10-2009, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Got my new Panny 80 player setup and updated to firmware 1.5.
The blu-ray picture quality is first rate, and looks amazing on my new Sony XBR6.
Audio is output using the 7.1 analog outputs to my Denon 5803 receiver.
The lossless decoding works great, as long as I don't turn the player off.
Once the unit gets turned off, the sound then goes from my current 7.1 setting, to outputting 5.1 with the surround back speakers as additional main speakers.
The voice dialog comes from the fronts and the two back surrounds.
NOT GOOD!
Checking the 7.1 speaker settings with the test tone, I then get no tone on the back surrounds at all.
Going into the setup up menu and changing 7.1 to 5.1 +2, and back to 7.1 makes it output 7.1 again.
After doing this I get proper test tones out of all speakers including the surround backs.
This is a major pain every time I want to watch a movie, and the player has been off.
I must also say I wasn't to thrilled when I first setup the analog connections, to find that there weren't 7.1 analog plugs grouped together.
There is 5.1 analog plugs in a group, with an additional set of 2 channel plugs in a separate location. Very mousy configuration, IMO.
By accessing the 7.1 settings these 2 channels are then converted into surround back channels.
This is were the problem seems to be occurring.
Contacted Panasonic and they are looking into the problem.
Hopefully there is a fix for this, or this unit is going back.
post #466 of 8256 Old 04-10-2009, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I had the Panasonic DMP-BD60 player hooked up to an Onkyo receiver, it is not HD audio capable but it worked (PCM out). However it was not playing the score in the background during Twilight? The voices and sound effects were working but no music? So I fiddled with the receiver settings (it was either analog to digital or a PCM setting, not sure) then presto I had music in the background. I now have a Marantz SR5003 receiver and the same problem has arrived, I am not nearly as familar with this receiver as the Onkyo so any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

John M.
post #467 of 8256 Old 04-10-2009, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaccool View Post

I had the Panasonic DMP-BD60 player hooked up to an Onkyo receiver, it is not HD audio capable but it worked (PCM out). However it was not playing the score in the background during Twilight? The voices and sound effects were working but no music? So I fiddled with the receiver settings (it was either analog to digital or a PCM setting, not sure) then presto I had music in the background. I now have a Marantz SR5003 receiver and the same problem has arrived, I am not nearly as familar with this receiver as the Onkyo so any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

How are you connected from player to receiver and what are your audio settings on the BD60?
post #468 of 8256 Old 04-10-2009, 06:43 PM

Anyone know if you can turn off that chime when using Viera Cast??? Thanks
post #469 of 8256 Old 04-10-2009, 07:45 PM

I am using a HDMI right now but I had the Onkyo hooked up with a optical? They are just both having the same issue, sound and effects but no sound track/music etc. Thanks.
post #470 of 8256 Old 04-10-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

How are you connected from player to receiver and what are your audio settings on the BD60?

I am using a HDMI right now but I had the Onkyo hooked up with a optical? They are just both having the same issue, sound and effects but no sound track/music etc. Thanks
post #471 of 8256 Old 04-10-2009, 07:57 PM

is there really no subtitle button on the remote? i found a pic of it on amazon and i don't see it. i've always thought one of the coolest features on dvd/bluray is that you can turn on the subs on the fly if someone mumbles or has an unintelligible accent. i can't believe my bad luck. looks like oppo won't get enough yes votes and now the panasonic has no subtitles button on the remote. it's like my only option left is a friggin sony bluray player.
post #472 of 8256 Old 04-10-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxjulie View Post

is there really no subtitle button on the remote?

You press Display which shows the current audio and subtitles, then you can flip through and change the options while the film is playing (subs on/off, language).

Download the manual here:

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...odel.DMP-BD60K

The Sony is missing at least one basic feature that's on any $30 DVD player: still frame advance. I can't imagine why they left something as basic as that out of the feature set. Anyway, that knocked the Sony out of consideration for me.
post #473 of 8256 Old 04-10-2009, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

For proper calibration with a calibration blue ray (DVE) is it best to leave it at the Normal setting (default) or change it to Cinema?
post #474 of 8256 Old 04-10-2009, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am using a HDMI right now but I had the Onkyo hooked up with a optical? They are just both having the same issue, sound and effects but no sound track/music etc. Thanks

Your player audio settings?
post #475 of 8256 Old 04-10-2009, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:

John M.

There is a known issue with Twilight, I suggest to try another movie and see if you get the same result.
post #476 of 8256 Old 04-10-2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottChez View Post

For proper calibration with a calibration blue ray (DVE) is it best to leave it at the Normal setting (default) or change it to Cinema?

Are you talking about the tv or the player?

Are we suppose to calibrate the Panny blu ray player to the tv as well?
post #477 of 8256 Old 04-11-2009, 03:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHXBR View Post

Got my new Panny 80 player setup and updated to firmware 1.5.
The blu-ray picture quality is first rate, and looks amazing on my new Sony XBR6.
Audio is output using the 7.1 analog outputs to my Denon 5803 receiver.
The lossless decoding works great, as long as I don't turn the player off.
Once the unit gets turned off, the sound then goes from my current 7.1 setting, to outputting 5.1 with the surround back speakers as additional main speakers.
The voice dialog comes from the fronts and the two back surrounds.
NOT GOOD!
Checking the 7.1 speaker settings with the test tone, I then get no tone on the back surrounds at all.
Going into the setup up menu and changing 7.1 to 5.1 +2, and back to 7.1 makes it output 7.1 again.
After doing this I get proper test tones out of all speakers including the surround backs.
This is a major pain every time I want to watch a movie, and the player has been off.
I must also say I wasn't to thrilled when I first setup the analog connections, to find that there weren't 7.1 analog plugs grouped together.
There is 5.1 analog plugs in a group, with an additional set of 2 channel plugs in a separate location. Very mousy configuration, IMO.
By accessing the 7.1 settings these 2 channels are then converted into surround back channels.
This is were the problem seems to be occurring.
Contacted Panasonic and they are looking into the problem.
Hopefully there is a fix for this, or this unit is going back.

Try setting HDMI Audio to OFF in the player and see if this helps. I suspect the player is getting confused by your having HDMI connected to a TV which only supports 2-channel audio. When you turn the player off and on it has to do the EDID handshake again.

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #478 of 8256 Old 04-11-2009, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

so is eveyone saying if use the optical out on the 60 model to your surround sound system..you won't be able to get Doby 5.1

or am I not understand what is being said on here ??
post #479 of 8256 Old 04-11-2009, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErieMarty View Post

so is eveyone saying if use the optical out on the 60 model to your surround sound system..you won't be able to get Doby 5.1

or am I not understand what is being said on here ??

You're not understanding. You won't get TrueHD, dts-MA, or multichannel PCM over optical. But, you will get DD 5.1 and the DTS core, both of which sound great. Most would agree they sound better than the more compressed versions of the same tracks on DVD.
post #480 of 8256 Old 04-11-2009, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 24
You will get non-high def audio via coax/optical. So yes, you can get non-high def Dolby 5.1 or DTS via optical/coax just like on a regular sd-dvd player. On some disks even Dolby EX. Using optical/coax out will give you exactly the same options for audio generally found on any newer sd-dvd players.

It won't sound bad mind you. Just won't sound as good as it could sound with high def audio playback.

I have to think about the "no multi-channel pcm" via optical/coax. If the player decodes dolby/dts won't it send that out via optical/coax multi-channel pcm non-high def legacy codecs?

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Panasonic Dmp Bd80k Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd60 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Panasonic

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page