Advertisement

post #542 of 8256 Old 04-14-2009, 06:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandan123 View Post

Why do all blu ray players look cheap and plasticy ?

I was hoping the BD80 would look better but unfortunately no.

Try the Denon players.
post #543 of 8256 Old 04-14-2009, 08:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHXBR View Post

I already tried this as it seemed like a logical fix.
Unfortunately it makes no difference on or off.
Still changes the 7.1 sound setting every time the unit powers off.
I am totally bummed that this is not working correctly, as blu-ray picture quality on the Panny 80 is much better than my previous Sony S550.
At this point I am going to send it back, and give the New Oppo 83 a try.

You should at least contact Panasonic to report the problem first. Is there a specific Blu-ray title that you can reproduce the problem with? If you let me know specific titles and chapter or time marks into the movie where the problem is most obvious after turning the player on and off I can try to test this myself on our BD80 (assuming I have the title) to see if I see/hear anything similar. If not, then you may just have a bad unit that needs to be replaced (most likely scenario).

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #544 of 8256 Old 04-14-2009, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Boylan13,

I remember an issue involving Panasonic's BD35/55 players and Onkyo receivers. I believe it was something related with 7.1 LPCM soundtrack if I recall correctly. I remember you telling us that Panasonic was working with Onkyo on this issue. Do you know if anything happen?
post #545 of 8256 Old 04-14-2009, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Sorry, but I don't think I can be of further assistance. Perhaps someone else can help.

I appreciate your effort but this in not something that I can get from a manual or from someone's logic. I would guess that someone will have to have had this issue, resolved it and then provide the answer. Perhaps I will resolve it then I can post it here for future assistance. Again thanks!!
post #546 of 8256 Old 04-14-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Logan View Post

Click on the you tube video and it will fill the screen

Thanks,

I'll try it when I get home tonight.

If I get a hdmi / dvi cable....is that what I need to use the tv as a computer
monitor?
post #547 of 8256 Old 04-14-2009, 05:16 PM

I'm curious. I've got the BD-60 but I see many mentions of the DMP-BD605. What is the difference?
post #548 of 8256 Old 04-14-2009, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger_M View Post

I'm curious. I've got the BD-60 but I see many mentions of the DMP-BD605. What is the difference?

BD605 is only sold at Costco/Sam's Club. No difference.
post #549 of 8256 Old 04-14-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

BD605 is only sold at Costco/Sam's Club. No difference.

It comes with a short HDMI cable in the box. I'm not sure if the BD-60 comes with one.
post #550 of 8256 Old 04-14-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjosevilla View Post

It comes with a short HDMI cable in the box. I'm not sure if the BD-60 comes with one.

The regular BD60 (BB, Cruchfield) does not bring and HDMI cable, just a set of analog cables.
post #551 of 8256 Old 04-15-2009, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

Look, there are a bunch of old family tapes, etc., and I'm not going to the hassle of converting them all to cd. And it would be more convenient to have a tape player in the Panny BR than finding an old separate box on Ebay. Provided, of course, that having the VHS player in the BD-70 doesn't in some way degrade the BD performance; but from what I hear the BD-70 is identical to the 60 except for the addition of the tape player.

I would like to know if anyone has tried this one out also? I have a ton of VHS tapes that I was thinking of converting to disk. But the copy-writing issues has been my hold-up.

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
post #552 of 8256 Old 04-15-2009, 07:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post

I would like to know if anyone has tried this one out also? I have a ton of VHS tapes that I was thinking of converting to disk. But the copy-writing issues has been my hold-up.

On any inquiry to Panasonic, their reply was that the 70 will be available in May.
post #553 of 8256 Old 04-15-2009, 07:38 AM

My audio cables will be delivered today so I'll be able to hook up and play around with the 5.1 analog later on. My old H/K av receiver does not do the 10-15db sub boost so I'm sure I'll be doing a lot of fiddling around with the settings to get it to sound good. At least I have a lot of headroom to go up from my normal setting on my Klipsch sub. I'll just have to remember to turn it back down when I'm done.

If I can get the analog set up correctly I'll use it when I'm watching a movie. If the rest of the family uses my BD80 I do have the remote set up with coax digital as the default.

"If you know everything, you must be misinformed"
^ old Japanese proverb ^
post #554 of 8256 Old 04-15-2009, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Rash View Post

My audio cables will be delivered today so I'll be able to hook up and play around with the 5.1 analog later on. My old H/K av receiver does not do the 10-15db sub boost so I'm sure I'll be doing a lot of fiddling around with the settings to get it to sound good. At least I have a lot of headroom to go up from my normal setting on my Klipsch sub. I'll just have to remember to turn it back down when I'm done.

If I can get the analog set up correctly I'll use it when I'm watching a movie. If the rest of the family uses my BD80 I do have the remote set up with coax digital as the default.

Even without a specific SW boost in your AVR, you may be able to set up your receiver to work for both analog and digital without needing to change the sub volume when switching back and forth. After increasing the sub volume to provide the boost for analog, try re-calibrating the digital side. That will likely mean lowering the digital sub output by the same amount you increased it at the sub.
post #555 of 8256 Old 04-15-2009, 09:42 AM

Has anyone had a problem with the BD80 whereby a DVD+RW or DVD+R created with the AVCHD is coming back with 'This disk is incompatible' - THe supplied SD-DISK with the unit plays AVCHD files OK.

I used tsMuxeR_1.9.1 to create the structure from a .mkv file and then used ImgBurn 2.4.4.0 to write to the disk. I tried both Create ACCVD and Create Blu-Ray in the tsMuxR and this darned error message consistently comes back.

I feel I am just not carrying out one simple step ?? Maybe one of you also had this problem and found a magic moment of EUREKA that you might like to share ;-)

Cheers,

Desmond.
post #556 of 8256 Old 04-15-2009, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I purchased a BD60 last night, and I need to know if their is an way to force 24p playback from it. It will not pass on a 24p signal to my receiver, even though my PS3 and HD-DVD player have no issues doing so.
post #557 of 8256 Old 04-15-2009, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcassidy View Post

Has anyone had a problem with the BD80 whereby a DVD+RW or DVD+R created with the AVCHD is coming back with 'This disk is incompatible' - THe supplied SD-DISK with the unit plays AVCHD files OK.

I used tsMuxeR_1.9.1 to create the structure from a .mkv file and then used ImgBurn 2.4.4.0 to write to the disk. I tried both Create ACCVD and Create Blu-Ray in the tsMuxR and this darned error message consistently comes back.

I feel I am just not carrying out one simple step ?? Maybe one of you also had this problem and found a magic moment of EUREKA that you might like to share ;-)

Cheers,

Desmond.

If I'd take a guess, your authoring tool does not create correct AVCHD structure. Most early software tools create wrong type of 'AVCHD' which is actually 'BD on DVD', not AVCHD. Most players now no longer support BD on DVD type disc, only the true AVCHD disc which has the different directory structure. There is a link to a web site explain the diferences posted early in this thread. Do a search.
post #558 of 8256 Old 04-15-2009, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Since I will be using HDMI for audio and video, I have been thinking that I would go for the BD60, since the only thing the 80 seemed to offer over it was 7.1 analog audio, which I will not use.

However in looking at the User Manual, there is one feature the BD80 has, that the 60 doesn't, which seems like it might be useful: 'High Clarity Sound'. This is an option to turn off the power to the analog video circuits (i.e., the Component video output) if one is using HDMI, and this is said to produce less interference for the audio channels, and produce a higher quality audio.

I would be very interested if those of you with the BD80--and use HDMI connections--would try out this feature; i.e., listen to the audio with the 'High Clarity Sound' option 'on' and with it 'off', to see if you can perceive any difference. Would greatly appreciate it. If there's no diff, I will stay focused on the BD 60, but if there is a significant improvement I might consider the 80. TIA!
post #559 of 8256 Old 04-15-2009, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

However in looking at the User Manual, there is one feature the BD80 has, that the 60 doesn't, which seems like it might be useful: 'High Clarity Sound'. This is an option to turn off the power to the analog video circuits (i.e., the Component video output) if one is using HDMI, and this is said to produce less interference for the audio channels, and produce a higher quality audio.

I think you looked at it from the wrong perspective. What I got from this is that if you use HDMI for video and analog 7.1 for audio, turning off analog video circuitary may potentially benefit analog audio quality.

If you also use HDMI for audio, the interference from analog video circuity will not have much impact on digital audio at all. That's why it is not available on BD60.
post #560 of 8256 Old 04-15-2009, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by methos75 View Post

I purchased a BD60 last night, and I need to know if their is an way to force 24p playback from it. It will not pass on a 24p signal to my receiver, even though my PS3 and HD-DVD player have no issues doing so.

The Panasonic players will not force 24fps. This option will only be available to select in the player menu if the display/projector advertises its capability via EDID.
post #561 of 8256 Old 04-15-2009, 11:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

I think you looked at it from the wrong perspective. What I got from this is that if you use HDMI for video and analog 7.1 for audio, turning off analog video circuitary may potentially benefit analog audio quality.

If you also use HDMI for audio, the interference from analog video circuity will not have much impact on digital audio at all. That's why it is not available on BD60.

Ah, thanks Foxbat! What you say makes a lot of sense. I had wondered how current in the analog video circuitry could affect the digital audio output ("it's all just 0's and 1's"), and your explanation points out that it really wasn't referring to this.

So this simplifies my choice, to just focus on the BD60.
post #562 of 8256 Old 04-15-2009, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisjan View Post

The Panasonic players will not force 24fps. This option will only be available to select in the player menu if the display/projector advertises its capability via EDID.

Ah that sucks, I know my receiver can pass 24p no problems because my other devices do it, the Panny just will not though for what ever rerason.
post #563 of 8256 Old 04-15-2009, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

If your receiver is an Onkyo, it is a known issue (for Onkyo) and there is a way to work around it by turning off OSD from receiver IIRC.
post #564 of 8256 Old 04-15-2009, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

No its a Sony ES5200
post #565 of 8256 Old 04-15-2009, 01:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rveras View Post

Boylan13,

I remember an issue involving Panasonic's BD35/55 players and Onkyo receivers. I believe it was something related with 7.1 LPCM soundtrack if I recall correctly. I remember you telling us that Panasonic was working with Onkyo on this issue. Do you know if anything happen?

Yeah, Panasonic told me Onkyo had a fix for it and that they (Onkyo) would contact me about it directly. That was 5 months ago.

The issue was that the BD35/BD55 would output 7.1-ch PCM soundtracks as 7.1-channel PCM (correct behavior), but the Onkyo xx5 series receivers (and their Integra counterparts) would omit the rear speaker information (the rear two channels of the 7.1-ch mix would be silent). Panasonic determined that they were sending a valid PCM bitstream but the Onkyo receivers were not decoding it properly. It only affected actual native PCM 7.1 soundtracks (like "3:10 to Yuma") and I think it was fixed in Onkyo's xx6 model line (e.g., works fine in the 606, 706, etc.). Also, there was a work-around - if you turned off 24p output (in the player), the rear speaker sounds magically re-appeared!

I didn't test this with the BD80 to see if it still occurs (I expect it does), because I no longer have the 605 receiver in my review system. I have no idea whether Onkyo has made any kind of fix available for owners who want to ship their receivers in for an update. The Onkyo site seems to still only be mentioning that early firmware upgrade for the 605 to support DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD decoding (old news!).

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #566 of 8256 Old 04-15-2009, 01:41 PM

I spent some time this afternoon setting up the analog and while I need to tweak it some more I can say I'm pleased with the results. There doesn't seem to be much of a difference in quality but the analog is better than the core DD/DTS. I notice a bit better separation and an overall cleaner sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Even without a specific SW boost in your AVR, you may be able to set up your receiver to work for both analog and digital without needing to change the sub volume when switching back and forth. After increasing the sub volume to provide the boost for analog, try re-calibrating the digital side. That will likely mean lowering the digital sub output by the same amount you increased it at the sub.

I didn't think of that and I'll give it a go. Thanks.

"If you know everything, you must be misinformed"
^ old Japanese proverb ^
post #567 of 8256 Old 04-15-2009, 02:01 PM

I've had the opportunity to run the BD80 through its paces lately including a number of recent blu-ray titles and everything has been spot-on perfect. Recently released discs included "Slumdog Millionaire" and "The Day the Earth Stood Still." Flawless performance. I'm particularly pleased with this player's sound and color rendering, too. I could swear that reds, in particular, are more vivid when compared to the BD30 and my Tosh XA2. I'm sure it's all in my mind, however. Probably an example of post-purchase justification! Still, this is a very good BD player, I think.

In all, a good Profile 2.0 upgrade from the BD30. And I was very happy with the 30!

BTW, I'm using a firmware-updated Yamaha 1800 (w/Sony sub and a combination of Michael Green and Yamaha speakers) and a Sony KDS55A2020. Everything via HDMI to the Receiver and on to the TV.
post #568 of 8256 Old 04-15-2009, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carledwards View Post

I've had the opportunity to run the BD80 through its paces lately including a number of recent blu-ray titles and everything has been spot-on perfect. Recently released discs included "Slumdog Millionaire" and "The Day the Earth Stood Still." Flawless performance. I'm particularly pleased with this player's sound and color rendering, too. I could swear that reds, in particular, are more vivid when compared to the BD30 and my Tosh XA2. I'm sure it's all in my mind, however. Probably an example of post-purchase justification! Still, this is a very good BD player, I think.

In all, a good Profile 2.0 upgrade from the BD30. And I was very happy with the 30!

BTW, I'm using a firmware-updated Yamaha 1800 (w/Sony sub and a combination of Michael Green and Yamaha speakers) and a Sony KDS55A2020. Everything via HDMI to the Receiver and on to the TV.

Very nice! Any comments yet on pq of unconverted dvd?

PS Question: if you connect everything via HDMI, can you say why you got the 80 rather than the 60?
post #569 of 8256 Old 04-15-2009, 03:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I am nearly done with "my take" on the BD60. Will post it shortly...

Build your own Concession Stand Counter for cheap! Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #570 of 8256 Old 04-15-2009, 03:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I am nearly done with "my take" on the BD60. Will post it shortly...

Super! Will be particularly interested in any comparative comments re the Oppo 83 you have played with, if you are so inclined. (BTW, your help last year with the Onkyo 805 was life-saving for me; not sure I've ever really thanked you sufficiently!)
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Panasonic Dmp Bd80k Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd60 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Panasonic

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page