Forum Jump: 

post #5941 of 8256 Old 01-09-2010, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Franklin View Post

Yes but the Amazon VOD performance has not been satisfactory. Perhaps Panasonic has improved things with the 2010 models and does not want comparisons of its Netflix performance with Samsung and LG on 2009 models.

I don't agree. With a speedy internet connection, the HD movies are quite good. The picture is not BD quality, but for movies I'm pretty sure I won't buy, but want to see anyways, it has worked well for me. I'm rocking an old wireless "G" bridge to my "N" router and have no issues with buffering and such. I try to turn off all of my other PCs and have the bridge set to priority 1 in the QoS settings on my router, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5942 of 8256 Old 01-09-2010, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo1 View Post

Wow thats a very dissapointingly short list. I thought the majority of stuff on bluray was going to be 7.1. I hope it goes that way in the future. I'm also dissappointed that TrueHD doesn't always mean 7.1. Guess I was wrong on that. Thanks for clarifying.

As far as the receiver doing the upmixing, I don't have HDMI inputs on my reciever. So I'm using the 7.1 analgue inputs. Using the 7.1 analgue inputs on my reciever bypasses all the recievers processing. So I'm stuck with whatever the BluRay sends it. So I would have to use optical or the digital coax input to let the reciever matrix it to 7.1. In which case I would loose my lossless audio. So since I'm using the 7.1 analogue it seems I have to choose between lossless 5.1 or lossy 7.1 matrixed by the receiver. Unless someone knows how to set the BD8 to matrix to 7.1.

Your understanding here is correct. You cannot process 5.1 analog in your receiver to produce 7.1 and the player lacks the needed DSPs to do the matrixing itself. So, with TrueHD and PCM sources, you have to choose between lossless 5.1 and lossy matrixed to 7.1. But, since the lossy tracks on BD are encoded at such high bitrates, you may find there's little or no loss of quality going the digital route in order to get 7.1

DTS is a different matter, however. The BD80 expands all DTS 5.1 sources on BD to 7.1 by duplicating the surround channels to the rears. So, you will always get 7.1 with DTS on Blu-ray.
post #5943 of 8256 Old 01-09-2010, 10:21 AM

hey guys, i just purchased the BD60 and need some guidance on the setup. i have a onkyo 506 receiver which is HDMI pass thru only. i have the HDMI running straight to my panny 50X1 from the BD60. i am confused as to what the settings should be in the BD60 in order to get the DTS-HD master audio thru the onkyo. also should the settings be changed when playing a regular DVD or does the player auto adjust them? i appreciate any help you could give me. thanks
post #5944 of 8256 Old 01-09-2010, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf0656 View Post

hey guys, i just purchased the BD60 and need some guidance on the setup. i have a onkyo 506 receiver which is HDMI pass thru only. i have the HDMI running straight to my panny 50X1 from the BD60. i am confused as to what the settings should be in the BD60 in order to get the DTS-HD master audio thru the onkyo. also should the settings be changed when playing a regular DVD or does the player auto adjust them? i appreciate any help you could give me. thanks

Your receiver doesn't support DTS-HD Master audio nor Dolby True HD. You will have to run an optical cable from the 60 to your receiver to get the core audio tracks. Then in the player, set both DTS and Dolby to bitstream and secondary audio to off.

Edit: If you don't want audio to your TV, set the Audio to Off in your HDMI connection.
post #5945 of 8256 Old 01-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:

You won't with the 60. You will need the 80 that has the multichannel outputs.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #5946 of 8256 Old 01-09-2010, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post

Your receiver doesn't support DTS-HD Master audio nor Dolby True HD. You will have to run an optical cable from the 60 to your receiver to get the core audio tracks. Then in the player, set both DTS and Dolby to bitstream and secondary audio to off.

You can leave secondary audio on. It only needs to be off for lossless audio, which is not possible with an optical connection.
post #5947 of 8256 Old 01-09-2010, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Please note, my setup is an Integra 8.2 receiver with 7.1 inputs and the 80 with of course the 7.1 outputs. If a Blu Ray is 7.1 and you only have a 5.1 set up which at the moment I do, wouldn't it just play at 5.1 whether it's Dolby True or DTSHD? I check the audio on the Blu Ray and it says Dolby True or DTSHD and the receiver front panel says multi channel.

Jeff
post #5948 of 8256 Old 01-09-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Your understanding here is correct. You cannot process 5.1 analog in your receiver to produce 7.1 and the player lacks the needed DSPs to do the matrixing itself. So, with TrueHD and PCM sources, you have to choose between lossless 5.1 and lossy matrixed to 7.1. But, since the lossy tracks on BD are encoded at such high bitrates, you may find there's little or no loss of quality going the digital route in order to get 7.1

DTS is a different matter, however. The BD80 expands all DTS 5.1 sources on BD to 7.1 by duplicating the surround channels to the rears. So, you will always get 7.1 with DTS on Blu-ray.

Thanks for the confirmation. Also thanks for letting me know about DTS recordings. I'm glad to hear that. It might not be true 7.1 but its likely as good as a Matrixed setup.
post #5949 of 8256 Old 01-09-2010, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronghorn/az View Post

Please note, my setup is an Integra 8.2 receiver with 7.1 inputs and the 80 with of course the 7.1 outputs. If a Blu Ray is 7.1 and you only have a 5.1 set up which at the moment I do, wouldn't it just play at 5.1 whether it's Dolby True or DTSHD? I check the audio on the Blu Ray and it says Dolby True or DTSHD and the receiver front panel says multi channel.

Are you using HDMI or analog? If analog, you need to set the player speaker configuration to 5.1 + 2ch and the player will downmix 7.1 to 5.1. If you are using HDMI, set the AVR speaker configuration to 5.1 and it will do the downmixing.
post #5950 of 8256 Old 01-09-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:

Ahhh. Thanks. I was wondering why I couldn't matrix a BD DTS 5.1 to 7.1 like I could with Dolby TrueHD. Makes sense now.
post #5951 of 8256 Old 01-09-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

You won't with the 60. You will need the 80 that has the multichannel outputs.

S~

so i need the 80 or a receiver that can do the decoding itself, am i right?
post #5952 of 8256 Old 01-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:

If you want lossless audio (TrueHD, DTSMaster), then yes. Otherwise with the optical cable, you are only going to get lossy DD and DTS.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #5953 of 8256 Old 01-09-2010, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post

Yes, I could see multiple reasons that they may not add Netflix streaming support to current generation players, including:

1) Lack of hard drive and limited space in firmware make it difficult to add required client-side codecs that are required for the DRM.

2) Marketing - i.e., want Netflix? Then buy our latest players...not the ones that are being discounted

Scuba

Since the "complete new functionality set" contains Skype, I think it might be confusing the issue.

Due to the enhanced functionality required of the USB port to support a camera and mic, I don't expect (or care about) Skype working on my DB-60.

However, I see no reason why NetFlix will not run on the BD60. There are several BD players and TVs on the market that stream NetFlix, and none of them have hard-drives. NetFlix has been strangely missing from all Panasonic devices but I've read that it has been a business decision as opposed to a technical limitation.

Remember that VieraCast is also in their TVs from 2008 (the 850's) and 2009 (most I think). Customers paid thousands of dollars for these TVs so I doubt Panasonic will just stop updating VieraCast on them. I will be surprised if we don't get NetFlix but I guess we just have to wait and see.

Getting the new players released FIRST will be a good place to start. It's not that big of a deal to me, but I definitely wouldn't worry about it or knock Panasonic until then.

post #5954 of 8256 Old 01-09-2010, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's not a decoding issue in your case. It's the output connection that matters. The BD60 decodes everything. But, the only way to get lossless audio to your receiver is by HDMI or MCH analog. Your AVR lacks HDMI and your player lacks analog. You would need to upgrade one or the other to get lossless audio.
post #5955 of 8256 Old 01-09-2010, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by micro5797 View Post

Help! Bd80
I put mp3 music files on a usb stick and try to play them. My player will only play the even numbered songs. Even if i manually select an odd numbered song it will act like it will play it, then it just skips to the next even numbered song.

I dont put the mp3's into a folder, i will just move one album from my pc to a formatted usb stick.

All the songs play fine from the usb stick in my pc.
Movies (divx) play fine from the usb stick in the bd80.

I have a BD60, but will test it for you. I have a HTPC, so I will probably never really use this functionality, but I've been meaning to test it.

For starters, you might want to read Page 7 in the manual. Pay particular attention to the allowable FAT formatting options. Also, be sure you don't have any strange characters in the filenames. As a test, make them short, simple, and with no spaces.

post #5956 of 8256 Old 01-09-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:

This post belongs in the BD60/80 Owners thread and will likely be moved there (or locked) by the moderators.
Set BD Video Secondary Audio to Off. That's the only setting you need to change from the default. That change is needed in order to get lossless decoding. But, it means you will not get secondary audio (menu clicks and PIP commentary).

Have you done the speaker configurations to set sizes and distances? That's the same work you did with your receiver when you set it up. It needs to be done with the player because the receiver's settings will not be used with analog.

You will also need to boost the analog subwoofer output in your AVR by 10dB. LFE is recorded 10dB lower than its proper playback level and needs to be boosted by the user to get the right bass response.

The player settings are fine and have nothing to do that. There are two issues.

First, PCM tracks are almost always higher quality than the compressed versions found on DD 5.1 and DTS. But, second, PCM stereo is only two channels. You can apply a surround mode such as ProLogicII or DTS Neo:6 in your receiver to matrix sound for the other channels. That's what I do with concerts.

Thank you very much for the help. So, will my speaker booklet tell me what settings I need to use to set up the speaker size/distance correctly? As for the question about the music, since I have it connected to the 6.1 analog connection, it doesn't allow me to change to ProLogicII or DTS Neo:6 on my receiver, at least from what I can tell. Is there something I need to do that I'm not doing?

Sorry if I sound dumb, I'm just not sure about this and want to make sure I'm maximizing what I've got. Thanks!!
post #5957 of 8256 Old 01-09-2010, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bguzman View Post

I believe any matrixing would have to be done by the receiver. Also Dolby TrueHD 5.1 is only 5.1. For 7.1 in your analog set up you will have to find a DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 movie. Here is a list of 7.1 movies, enjoy.
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=91824

bguzman

Most movies are derived from original film sources with 5.1 sound so the sound in 7.1 movies are most likely re-matrixed from 5.1.

The best bet for original 7.1 sound sources are likely the classical concerts.

Narnia Prince Caspian lists 7.1 sound and is also an AVS Tier 0- reference quality rated production:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...67&postcount=2

More of a chick flick but good demo material. Have played this on my 7.1 system

Certified HDTV junkie and AVS addict
U.S. Army FA WWII
post #5958 of 8256 Old 01-09-2010, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallandoates View Post

So, will my speaker booklet tell me what settings I need to use to set up the speaker size/distance correctly?

It probably has a recommendation for setting them to Large or Small. But, use Small unless you have exceptional full range speakers. Small really just tells the player to use bass management to reroute low frequencies from the main channels to the subwoofer. The player has a fixed crossover at 100Hz.

Distances will be based on where you have your speakers positioned.

Quote:

As for the question about the music, since I have it connected to the 6.1 analog connection, it doesn't allow me to change to ProLogicII or DTS Neo:6 on my receiver, at least from what I can tell. Is there something I need to do that I'm not doing?

You are right that you can't apply a DSP to the MCH analog inputs. I suggest you run a separate optical or coax connection for stereo sources. I use coax for stereo and for DVD playback because the digital connection allows me to use the processing power of the AVR.

Quote:

Sorry if I sound dumb, I'm just not sure about this and want to make sure I'm maximizing what I've got. Thanks!!

No problem. Audio can get complicated. Happy to help.
post #5959 of 8256 Old 01-09-2010, 04:48 PM

Don't the device manufacturers get a royalty on NetFlix use (or per enabled device)? That would surely motivate panny to release the firmware update to as many customers as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

...However, I see no reason why NetFlix will not run on the BD60. There are several BD players and TVs on the market that stream NetFlix, and none of them have hard-drives. NetFlix has been strangely missing from all Panasonic devices but I've read that it has been a business decision as opposed to a technical limitation.

post #5960 of 8256 Old 01-09-2010, 04:56 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLittleTimeZZZ View Post

Don't the device manufacturers get a royalty on NetFlix use (or per enabled device)? That would surely motivate panny to release the firmware update to as many customers as possible.

Why not simply get a Roku box and stream from any source you like and use the Blu Ray player for its' intended purpose . . . play Blu Ray disks?

http://www.roku.com/?utm_source=goog...FRmfnAodqlyu_w
post #5961 of 8256 Old 01-09-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:

It's not a decoding issue in your case. It's the output connection that matters. The BD60 decodes everything. But, the only way to get lossless audio to your receiver is by HDMI or MCH analog. Your AVR lacks HDMI and your player lacks analog. You would need to upgrade one or the other to get lossless audio.

ok, i understand now. thanks for everyones help.
post #5962 of 8256 Old 01-09-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

when calling panasonic.. just hit 0 like 3 times or so.. then you can get to a live operator.

Jacob

Thanks, but I'm pretty sure I tried that. I pretty much tried everything
navigating through their menus.

Then I finally get through and they disconnect me.

I just want my blu ray back!

Now Panny won't update Vierra on our players.

Just like sony with their sxrd disaster, Panny is going to
lose and lose customers if they stick by this decision, Oh,
and don't forget, you can't buy their products without having
to worry about quality anymore. Everything is made in China now
with high, but acceptable, failure rates cause labor is so cheap,
and quality control no longer matters to major c.e. companies.

sony and panasonic used to represent the best in c.e.
now they're no better and more expensive than vizio.
post #5963 of 8256 Old 01-09-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by estoniankid View Post

Just like sony with their sxrd disaster, Panny is going to
lose and lose customers if they stick by this decision, Oh,
and don't forget, you can't buy their products without having
to worry about quality anymore. Everything is made in China now
with high, but acceptable, failure rates cause labor is so cheap,
and quality control no longer matters to major c.e. companies.

sony and panasonic used to represent the best in c.e.
now they're no better and more expensive than vizio.

Ok, here's the flip side of that arguement. There are tens of thousands of people that have purchased SXRD sets, including myself (50a3000) whose NEVER had a problem with their sets. Could be 100's of thousands. I'm one of them. (and yes, I'm aware of the class action law suit)

Secondly, I really could care less if my Panny can stream Netflix. All I want is an inexpensive BD player that has great PQ and AQ and I would venture a guess that the majority of owners feel the same way. ****, I'd bet the majority of users use the audio system that is in their TV and have no idea what in the hell "streaming" means.

Will Sony and Panasonic lose enough business where they will feel it in their bottom line? In my opinion, absolutely not.

What is true is that we occupy a VERY small niche within their markets and yet we think we are in the majority. We care about these things, therefore, most everyone else does also. I don't believe that's true.
post #5964 of 8256 Old 01-10-2010, 01:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

I would get anything but the BD60. Returned mine today (got it free with a TV purchased from Amazon). I had already returned my first unit months ago. Cheap player, cheap performance. Got a Sony N460 and so far I'm very happy.

That's funny...the BD60/80 have gotten nothing but flawless performance reviews, and most people (including me) haven't had a single problem with them.

LCD is the MP3 of the TV world
post #5965 of 8256 Old 01-10-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robi1138 View Post

that's funny...the bd60/80 have gotten nothing but flawless performance reviews, and most people (including me) haven't had a single problem with them.

+1

Andy Lorenz
Lynchburg, VA

"Anybody that cares about cinema or music or any of these kinds of art forms becomes concerned about the quality of the presentation."

---George Lucas
post #5966 of 8256 Old 01-10-2010, 07:53 AM

I also got the BD-60 from Amazon with a purchase of my G10 54" plasma. So far the player has been great, upconverting looks terrific! I currently own 3 Panny plasmas, 2 upconverting Panny DVD players, and the BD-60, if Panasonic doesn't offer a firmware upgrade to make my BD-60 able to stream Netflix I will not be buying anything else from Panasonic. Do I feel I'm entitled to this feature? Well, yeah I kinda do. They promised additional downloadable content in the future, thats why I bought a G instead of an S plasma and to offer a firmware upgrade for the BD-60/80 would really cost them nothing. The only reason I could see them holding out would be to force past customers to purchase another new BD player with the Netflix feature. That's WRONG. And to everyone that "could care less" about streaming Netflix, have you used this feature? It is awesome! Just watched "Foul Play" in HD last night with the wife and picture looked stunning.
post #5967 of 8256 Old 01-10-2010, 08:14 AM

By the way "Playon" software is supposed to be able to work on the BD-60 making it capable to stream netflix but I have not tried it yet. You can get a free trial version of it off their website.
post #5968 of 8256 Old 01-10-2010, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you using HDMI or analog? If analog, you need to set the player speaker configuration to 5.1 + 2ch and the player will downmix 7.1 to 5.1. If you are using HDMI, set the AVR speaker configuration to 5.1 and it will do the downmixing.

I'm using Analog, and yes the player is set to 5.1+2ch, just wanted to make sure. It can get confusing!

Jeff
post #5969 of 8256 Old 01-10-2010, 08:52 AM

Hey All,

I just got an 09 Panny plasma, and just started looking for a player.

Seems the new Panny players will have Netflix, but the opinion (fact?) is they will not be updating "older" VC (TVs or players) to add Netflix.

Will a new Panny player's VC (w/Netflix) override the TVs VC - do you choose from a menu or something if you have 2 devices with Vieracast software?

Probably a stupid question, but I haven't bought a TV since the late '80's (*gasp*) so I'm WAAAAY out of the loop!

Funny story - kept telling people I did'nt need a new TV cause mine still worked. WOW has PQ changed! Had no idea what I was missing!
post #5970 of 8256 Old 01-10-2010, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

The Viera Cast in each device operates independently. Each device needs it's own network connection.

Using the TV remote will start the TV's VC, using the BD remote, the player's VC.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Panasonic Dmp Bd80k Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd60 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Panasonic

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page