post #631 of 8257 Old 04-18-2009, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger_M View Post

I got the 300 on regular DVD only and was very impressed with the movie tho a few scenes were left out on the DVD version. I've watched it maybe 8 times now. I dont know if it is a part of the movie film makup but the picture seems to have a grainy effect. Is my DVD going bad or is this natural for this movie?

That's the way it was designed to look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 8257 Old 04-18-2009, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

That's the way it was designed to look.

The grain in 300 was done intentionally.
post #633 of 8257 Old 04-18-2009, 10:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Ground View Post

Yes I have been experiancing the same problems. I've played roughly 25 blue ray discs on this and I experiance at least 10 second delays/pauses in the middle of the movie with various blue ray discs. (open season, night at the museum, pathfinder, wall-e, kung fu panda. I'm sure there have been more discs doing this that i've played that just can't remember which ones but it is very distracting and the primary reason I will be returning this player for the Oppo bd83 or Pioneer bdp-320.

I've played several of the titles you mentioned with no problems. I'd guess you have a bad unit and you should return it for a new one.

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #634 of 8257 Old 04-18-2009, 11:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHXBR View Post

Hi Chris,
Can you confirm that the Panny 80 is outputting Dolby TrueHD 5.1 96khz on the "Celine Dion Live in Las Vegas" blu-ray ?
All I get is a generic audio display message that it is Dolby TrueHD Multi
Only shows 96khz for stereo playback, when I change the audio display.
I couldn't get any indication from the Panny 80 with the "Bakara" blu-ray either, that it is outputting DTS-HD MSTR 5.1 96khz.
It displays Dolby TrueHD 5.1 96hkhz and DTS-HD MSTR 5.1 96khz when I play these on the Sony 550 player.
Also in regards to remaster setting on the 80, is this for outputting 96khz?
The manual doesn't give any description of 96khz output, only reproducing more natural sound. (discs recorded at 48khz or less)

So far with the Panasonic 80, I don't get much in regards with the audio display for disc playback.
Not much in the way of khz frequency, and NO speaker output information. (3+2+1) or (5+2+1)

I am only using the 7.1 analog connections.

Any info would be much appreciated.

I'm away for the weekend and can't test this right now, but are you going into the Playback Information Window ("Display" button on the remote, then I think you move down to "Disc" to get to the link for the playback information window)? This is as detailed as it gets for the BD80. It definitely shows number of channels but I'm not sure about sampling rate. And once the soundtrack is converted to analog there would be no trace of what it used to be in the analog stream.

But as long as you have set BD-Secondary Audio to OFF then you are getting the full lossless stream at its full resolution and sampling rate decoded to analog. The only time the player will step-down to lossy decoding is if BD-Secondary Audio is ON and the player detects menu click sound effects (or secondary audio) in the stream as it would have to step down to lossy in order to mix these into the analog outputs.

The "Remaster" function on the Panasonic players is only for upconverting 44.1 or 48KHz soundtracks up to 88.2KHz or 96 KHz for smoother sound. Think of it as an audio "line doubler." It is not necessary to engage this function on a native 96KHz soundtrack.

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #635 of 8257 Old 04-19-2009, 03:16 AM

Yesterday I bought the Panasonic dmp-bd60...good for me...but now I want to throw the %^&thing of my balkony .

For 2 days now I'm trying to get the HD-sound out of my receiver with this blu-ray player..but it still doesn't work.
This is my setup:

Panasonic dmp-bd 60 connected wit a hdmi 1.3 cable ---> Onkyo TX-SR 705 with hdmi 1.3.

In the setup menu I selected bitstream and sec audio is set to off.

If I'm watching a blu-ray I can hear the same sound through all my 5 speakers..which i think is not surround .

The screen of my Onkyo says:

HDMI Through

and in the top PCM DSP HDMI

What did I do wrong??
post #636 of 8257 Old 04-19-2009, 04:04 AM

I figured it out..

HDMI output switched to off and voila..
post #637 of 8257 Old 04-19-2009, 04:38 AM

Quote:

I got the 300 on regular DVD only and was very impressed with the movie tho a few scenes were left out on the DVD version. I've watched it maybe 8 times now. I dont know if it is a part of the movie film makup but the picture seems to have a grainy effect. Is my DVD going bad or is this natural for this movie?

It's natural for the movie. The film on BD is excellent btw.
post #638 of 8257 Old 04-19-2009, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:

Normally film grain is part of movie and there is no way a disc or player that has gone bad will cause this,e.g. add film grain to a digital picture.

But in the case of 300, it's not even a film grain. It's digital grain added intentionally by director.

If you never noticed it before. That means what ever player or TV you used is filtering them out along with the details in the film.
post #639 of 8257 Old 04-19-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Normally film grain is part of movie and there is no way a disc or player that has gone bad will cause this,e.g. add film grain to a digital picture.

But in the case of 300, it's not even a film grain. It's digital grain added intentionally by director.

If you never noticed it before. That means what ever player or TV you used is filtering them out along with the details in the film.

I just never got up close to the TV to notice it before. Thanks all for the info.
post #640 of 8257 Old 04-19-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpgstock View Post

I had the exact same issue. I then downloaded the firmware update 1.5 over a week ago and have since watched about 10 movies without a single "freeze" incidence. Hopefully, the update has solved the problem.

I have been having random freezing in various blu-ray movies with my BD60 as well. Yesterday, I applied the latest firmware (1.5) to the player. Afterwards, I watched one of the movies that froze previously, but didn't have any problems. I was cautiously optimistic that the firmware update resolved the issue. However, I just had the player freeze on me again this morning.

All of the movies that have frozen, with one exception, have been mine. I take good care of my movies, and the discs are in perfect shape. While there may be a higher failure rate with rentals, I can confirm that it certainly isn't limited to banged up discs.

I just requested a replacement player from Amazon. Hopefully these problems are limited to a bad batch of players, and aren't systemic through the entire production.
post #641 of 8257 Old 04-19-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewellgm View Post

I have been having random freezing in various blu-ray movies with my BD60 as well. Yesterday, I applied the latest firmware (1.5) to the player. Afterwards, I watched one of the movies that froze previously, but didn't have any problems. I was cautiously optimistic that the firmware update resolved the issue. However, I just had the player freeze on me again this morning.

All of the movies that have frozen, with one exception, have been mine. I take good care of my movies, and the discs are in perfect shape. While there may be a higher failure rate with rentals, I can confirm that it certainly isn't limited to banged up discs.

I just requested a replacement player from Amazon. Hopefully these problems are limited to a bad batch of players, and aren't systemic through the entire production.

I've noticed this as well. My wife and I purchased our BD60 yesterday along with 300, the Spiderman trilogy and Kung Fu Panda. So far, Spiderman 3 and 300 is all we've watched and both experienced a 5 second freeze during playback. Not quite sure what to think yet.
post #642 of 8257 Old 04-19-2009, 02:19 PM

I am finally happy with my BD80. Thanks to Boylan13 and other helpful members who have steered me in the right direction. I have never been so frustrated by my life-long home electronics hobby than trying to hook up the BD player to my system. I run cables to a pre/pro and then on to a receiver and am dealing with a lot of cables. Unknown to me two of the cables were mixed up and another had an intermittant problem. Combine that with unclear instructions in the manual and I felt like lying on the floor and crying!

I feel smart enough to hook up this kind of thing without reading the manual. I no longer recommend that. My last major electronic frustration was in the early 50's when I assembled a Heathkit amplifier over a several week period and turned it on for it to only sit there and do nothing. (bad fuse)

Anyway, I am happy now. Boylan13, ask Panasonic to hire you to rewrite the manual.
post #643 of 8257 Old 04-19-2009, 04:19 PM

Liked: 11
Thanks Blslander,

OK, I see that if I used a digital audio connection in addition to my existing analog out connection -- all I'd need to do is set up an additional input choice on my AVR. Then I'd select one input for BD & another for DVDs. I actually listen to CDs via my CD changer so won't be using the BD player for that.

I will not be upgrading to 7.1 as no good place to put more speakers & 5.1 sounds great to me. It took me several years to figure out how to move from 2.1 sound to 5.1! (Room problems) So, I won't lose that much because The DTS Essential decoder in the BD80 doesn't process DTS 96/24 or DTS-ES extensions. If I upgrade the AVR in the future it will have HDMI & that will simplify things.
I am using Digital Video Essentials (DVE) on BD to calibrate. The Bass in the opening of Fifth Element(DVD, not BD) is prominent & sounds great. So, I will not connect the digital audio cable.

I found through other sources that the PCM or Bitstream setting in my question does not matter for my analog output. It will only matter if I ever connect a digital audio cable & then s/b at Bitstream since PCM will down mix to stereo.

I will leave BD secondary audio OFF so I can get the lossless audio but, if I want to listen to any PiP commentary, I'll need to temporarily turn it back on.
post #644 of 8257 Old 04-19-2009, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 130
hdcrack - It looks like you have things set the way you want them now. Enjoy.
post #645 of 8257 Old 04-19-2009, 05:51 PM

On a side note. It appears I did not upgrade the Firmware from 1.1 to 1.5. I'll have to watch 300 and Spiderman 3 again to see if I still get the freezes. Kung Fu Panda was fine though. Great movie!!
post #646 of 8257 Old 04-19-2009, 08:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Bills View Post

I am finally happy with my BD80. Thanks to Boylan13 and other helpful members who have steered me in the right direction. I have never been so frustrated by my life-long home electronics hobby than trying to hook up the BD player to my system. I run cables to a pre/pro and then on to a receiver and am dealing with a lot of cables. Unknown to me two of the cables were mixed up and another had an intermittant problem. Combine that with unclear instructions in the manual and I felt like lying on the floor and crying!

I feel smart enough to hook up this kind of thing without reading the manual. I no longer recommend that. My last major electronic frustration was in the early 50's when I assembled a Heathkit amplifier over a several week period and turned it on for it to only sit there and do nothing. (bad fuse)

Anyway, I am happy now. Boylan13, ask Panasonic to hire you to rewrite the manual.

Glad things are working out for you finally. An intermittent cable has to be one of the toughest things to debug. I am happy I have a couple of big spools of the Planet Waves RG6 cable which I can custom terminate to any length in just a few minutes with RCA connections. And if a termination goes bad, I can remove the end, slice a half inch off the cable and reterminate it with a twist and the turn of a screw using the same connector. Very convenient and excellent performance.

Set-up of a Blu-ray player's audio and video settings for optimal performance can be very confusing and the Panasonic set-up menus (and manuals) do assume the reader has a certain familiarity with BD technology, which is really not a safe assumption unless all buyers hang out regularly on avsforum or write about this stuff for a living.

Panasonic did modify a very small part of the manual between the BD55 and BD80 based on some feedback I gave them about the implication that a 7.1-channel connection was *necessary* for lossless or high bit rate surround support. A 7.1-channel connection is only necessary to fully reproduce a native 7.1-channel soundtrack, otherwise a 5.1-channel analog connection is perfectly suited to capturing and transmitting lossless surround. The only change they made in the manual, though (to the audio chart on page 8), added "5.1-ch output" as one of the noted connections that supports high bitrate/lossless surround (toward the bottom of the page under "Necessary Connections"). Not exactly a major coup in the annals of de-mystification of unintentional technological obfuscation (say that 10X fast), but it was something.

I actually offered to proof any new sections of the manuals between the 55 and 80 series to try to clear things up but they didn't take me up on it. And honestly taking a consulting gig like this from a manufacturer probably wouldn't be ideal for maintaining journalistic objectivity so it's probably best that they didn't.

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #647 of 8257 Old 04-20-2009, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

As far as picture settings go on the player, anyone with a Samsung 650 series have any good custom settings? I drive myself crazy in the settings menu to the point where I fiddle with it all movie. Is it better just to use one of the preset or is going custom better?
post #648 of 8257 Old 04-20-2009, 07:33 AM
Ron
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviec View Post

oh yea! big difference compared to the bd 35 and 55 both which i owned previously.
don't see how the audio can get much better!

thanks for your input! so to confirm - you think it's definitely worth it to get the 80 for the "high clarity" option, over the 60, using hdmi for audio?

Ron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #649 of 8257 Old 04-20-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank W View Post

I may have missed it but I didn't see any comments about stopping and re-starting the BD60. Will it re-start at the beginning or where you left off if you stop in the middle of a move?

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKoprowski View Post

I have always read that is a function of the blu-ray disc not the player. The blu-ray disc has to be authored to allow that.

Isn't that annoying? You have to go through all of the previews again and look for the scene where you think you left off.
With all the hyped up disc capacity, why can't the studios put that function in?
In some SD DVD and players, you can even take the disc out and when you put it back in, it will stay play where you left off.
post #650 of 8257 Old 04-20-2009, 10:17 AM

Has anybody experienced popping sounds like the old vinyl records when playing a BD with DTS HD-MA on the BD-80 connected to the Onkyo TX-SR605?
I had these popping sounds while playing Master and Commander bitstreamed.
No pops using 7.1 analog but my SW almost does not produce any sound.
post #651 of 8257 Old 04-20-2009, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45rpm View Post

Has anybody experienced popping sounds like the old vinyl records when playing a BD with DTS HD-MA on the BD-80 connected to the Onkyo TX-SR605?

Did you ever upgrade your 605's firmware to address the 'DTS-MA bomb' issue? If not, there is your answer. Also, try to set the player to decode DTS-MA and output LPCM via HDMI and it should address your popping sound as well without the downside of analog 7.1 you mentioned.
post #652 of 8257 Old 04-20-2009, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45rpm View Post

Have you updated your 605's DSP's? There is a known issue with some of the X05 series Onkyo AVR's and what has been called the "DTS-MA Bomb". Check out the 605 thread to find out how to do the update (you can do it yourself - I did).
post #653 of 8257 Old 04-20-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisjan View Post

Have you updated your 605's DSP's? There is a known issue with some of the X05 series Onkyo AVR's and what has been called the "DTS-MA Bomb". Check out the 605 thread to find out how to do the update (you can do it yourself - I did).

Check out onks web site they may still have the fw download there,the used to.
post #654 of 8257 Old 04-20-2009, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I just picked up a BD60. Updated to 1.5fw. Went through the settings and under TV/Device connection I cannot select 24p to "On". It is stuck on "Off". I have a Pioneer PDP-5080. It accepts 24p confirmed by my XA2 and Sharp BD-HP20.

It goes Panny BD60->Blu Jeans HDMI 1.3->Rotel RSP-1069->Blue Jeans HDMI 1.3->Pioneer Kuro. I have HDMI Bypass set to on in the Rotel which is suppose to pass 24p fine by all accounts.
post #655 of 8257 Old 04-20-2009, 03:06 PM

Ive had this player for a couple of days and no issues. Ive played several BDs and CDs through it and its fantastic. The loading can be long depending on the disc. Casino Royale loaded fast, but Quantum of Solace took a while to load. No big deal though.

The picture quality is fantastic, and I just bitstream my audio so nothing to comment there.

The 24p option is also stuck on off for me as well. Im not entirely sure my Samsung DLP does 24p though. Its a 2007 model.

Sight and Sound
post #656 of 8257 Old 04-20-2009, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I actually fixed it. I connected the player directly to the display and I was able to select the 24p "On" option. Then I connected it back to my processor and it is passing the 24Hz signal fine. The option still says "On" in the setup menu.

So far I am VERY happy with this player. Audio/Video and performance wise, it is a huge step up. I will keep putting it through every torture test I can throw at it and report any issue if I run into one.

I am just so happy to hear my Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds in full DolbyTHD 96 kHz 5.1. The sound is magical.
post #657 of 8257 Old 04-20-2009, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 314
^^^

Mine is stuck as well, but I think it can only be activated when the disc is playing. I’ve only played one BD and I didn’t remembered to try it.
post #658 of 8257 Old 04-20-2009, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I am having a weird issue where when I boot everything up the disc will not load by hitting play. I have to eject the disc and then close the tray to get it to load. I am still on the Dave Matthews disc and this is all done from the remote so no biggie. Just odd.
post #659 of 8257 Old 04-20-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post

I am having a weird issue where when I boot everything up the disc will not load by hitting play. I have to eject the disc and then close the tray to get it to load. I am still on the Dave Matthews disc and this is all done from the remote so no biggie. Just odd.

Hmm, haven't had any problems like that.

Sight and Sound
post #660 of 8257 Old 04-20-2009, 09:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Can someone who has a BD60 or 80 verify for me how the 'Side cut' and 'Zoom' functions (see pg 20 of the User Manual) work? I THINK I know, but the explanation on pg 20 is very garbled.

With a 16:9 screen, and the player set to 16:9 (and using HDMI out of the player), I'm guessing that they work this way:

1) When showing a 2.35:1 movie, that has 'black bars' at the top and bottom, the 'Zoom' selection will enlarge the pic to fill the screen, and the left and right edges of the 2.35:1 pic will be lost (i.e., not projected onto the walls by the side of the pj).

2) When showing a 4:3 sd dvd, that has 'black bars' on the sides, the 'Side cut' selection will enlarge the pic to fill the screen, and top and bottom portions of the pic will be lost.

In both cases the pic is shown in the correct proportion, i.e., with no vertical or horizontal stretching of the images.

Is this correct? And if so, how do you like it? (realizing, of course, that it is no substitute for an anamorphic lens and 2.35 screen for such movies).
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Panasonic Dmp Bd80k Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd60 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Panasonic

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page