post #721 of 8256 Old 04-22-2009, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by michele.bella View Post

Really ? But maybe it is only about some defective units, or is an issue solved with a new firmware ?
Anyway, I would like to know if the SD is better in Pio or Panny.

Check the Pio 51 thread. Obviously, you still have a very good chance getting a defective unit and Pio so far has no solution yet. Given that Pio basically fired every body in BD/DVD dept. (and shifting the business to newly created Pio/Sharp joint venture), I'm not sure it is the time to jump into any Pio players with known defects.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 8256 Old 04-22-2009, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by michele.bella View Post

Really ? But maybe it is only about some defective units, or is an issue solved with a new firmware ?
Anyway, I would like to know if the SD is better in Pio or Panny.

I had the Pioneer 51Fd and replaced it with the Pannasonic BD60.
Both players are very solid. The 51FD is very good for CD listening and SD upscaling. With BD playback it has a lot of adjustments that allow to match it well with your display. As you may have read in the home theater magazine review, it has this sort of fine detail that it is add to the overall pq.
For some that is great, but for other it may not be a good thing..
With the Pio 51fd the other advantage is that you can turn off the deep color trick, by setting the player to output 4:2:2 instead of 4:4:4, thus no artifacts in the color are added...
The bad thing about the pioneer is in terms of the speed, DTS HD MA decoding and customer support from the company.. They take a while to get firmware to fix some issues with certain disks...

The panasonic is a very solid player. I haven't had any trouble playing any disk. In the past I had the BD30 and know that the company has excellent support to their players... The BD60 has similar adjustments to the picture than the 51fd but you cannot manually for instance turn off the deep color trick... The player is also faster and can decode any of the HD audio formats.
In terms of SD playback is good but not in the same league as with the pioneer.. In terms of CD playback, I haven't yet tested but I do have an oppo980h that I use strictly for music...

Christian

My DVD and Blu Ray collection

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103,PS Audio Power Plant Premier,Darbee Darblet
post #723 of 8256 Old 04-22-2009, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
is the panasonic 60 worth an upgrade over the panasonic 30? besides being able to download the firmware update from the net and not from disc?

Jacob
post #724 of 8256 Old 04-22-2009, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was debating the same two players. I went with the Panny because of their solid rep on Blu-ray players and it had everything I needed in a small package. Now I am able to put my XA2 back into my current config so I am happy about that. So far seems like a great player. I still have more tests to do.
post #725 of 8256 Old 04-22-2009, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

is the panasonic 60 worth an upgrade over the panasonic 30? besides being able to download the firmware update from the net and not from disc?

Jacob

If you want all the decoders onboard then yes. BD30 only bitstreams. As far as PQ I have not compared the two.
post #726 of 8256 Old 04-22-2009, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I mostly bitstream with my panasonic 30.
I can do pcm with my ps3.
I prefer bitstream.
Jacob
post #727 of 8256 Old 04-22-2009, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

I mostly bitstream with my panasonic 30.
I can do pcm with my ps3.
I prefer bitstream.
Jacob

Well, in terms of pq it is slightly better and if your display has hdmi 1.3 and is able to display deep color, then you might get less banding in the colors.
Other than that, the BD 60 is faster and has a slightly better DVD upscaling...

Christian

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103,PS Audio Power Plant Premier,Darbee Darblet
post #728 of 8256 Old 04-22-2009, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylan13 View Post

Art's comment was about Panasonic DVD Players, not Blu-ray players. The aspect ratio control on the Panasonic Blu-ray players works like the zoom on Panasonic DVD players. You can zoom 2.35:1 DVD content to enlarge the screen (chopping off the sides) using the "Zoom" mode. These aspect ratio controls are also enabled on Divx content (most of the time). The aspect ratio control on the BD35/BD55/BD60/BD80 is *NOT ENABLED* on 1080p Blu-ray content - it does nothing at all, no matter which mode you select.

Some newer TVs do allow a zoom function on HDMI-connected sources (though some do not) and this will have the same effect. So if you must completely destroy the director's artistic intent then do so on the TV side.

BTW, a straight "zoom" function does not do any stretching or squishing of the content (geometric distortion), it simply enlarges the entire image such that nonanamorphic widescreen DVDs can be viewed in full screen mode without window-boxing (letterbox and pillarbox).

When you "zoom" a 2.35:1 image (again, on a DVD), it zooms the center portion of the image and cuts of the sides, as you were describing. Some people like this because it makes use of the entire screen, but (of course) at the expense of being able to see some of the actual movie image (which most cinema purists believe to be sacrosanct).

-CB

Ah, thanks much for the clarification: zooming a 2.35 pic as I was describing works on a dvd but not with a BD. This does indeed resolve the confusion I had. Thanks much!

The Oppo83 does in fact do this zooming as I described for BD as well as dvd, so this is a plus for it if this feature is of interest.
post #729 of 8256 Old 04-22-2009, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I own the philips 47pfl7403D/F7. it can do the 120 refresh rate.

Jacob
post #730 of 8256 Old 04-22-2009, 02:53 PM

Liked: 12
I've owned the Panasonic BD-60 for just over a week now.
This one for movie viewing in the bedroom on a Panasonic plasma tv.
I'm using HDMI for video and Optical into a Denon receiver for audio.

(My PS3 pulls blu-ray duty on my 65" 2008 Mitsubishi DLP in my great-room, so this was what I was comparing my new player to. By the way, I love my PS3/Mitsubishi set up.)

Regarding the Panasonic BD-60:

I've had time to watch 3 Blu-ray movies and 3 DVDs.

In my opinion blu-ray disc playback is outstanding, (in video and audio).
But what really took me off guard was DVD playback, (Fantastic video upscaling and audio playback)

I look forward to making the internet connection for online features.

I'm very happy with my purchase, and glad i did not go for the BD-80.
I do have one complaint, but i'm hoping they will fix this with a future down load:
When i turn off the player while viewing a movie, the player does not remember
where i was in the movie and 'starts the movie over from the beginning'.
I had a Sony DVD player that could remember this. Just seems like an easy feature to include.

Thats all.

2 Hometheaters
9 HDTV's (LCD, LED, Plasma and DLPs, 32" to 65")
4 Computers (1 laptop, 3 desktops)
6 Gaming consoles (1 PS2, 2 PS3, 1 XB, 2 XB360)
80+ total video games
1 iTouch
1 iPad 2
post #731 of 8256 Old 04-22-2009, 03:21 PM

Has any one noticed that when you change the HDMI resolution in the setup menu on the BD60 from AUTO to 1080i, the resoultion resets back to AUTO when the unit is powered Off/On? Having to change it every time the unit is turned on seems wrong.

My DLP's native resolution is 720p, but can accept 1080i. Leaving the HDMI resolution on AUTO does not seem to produce as good a picture as the 1080i setting. The BD60 video goes through my Onkyo rcvr to the TV, so I don't think the AUTO setting can detect the best resolution for the TV.
post #732 of 8256 Old 04-22-2009, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post

Both players are very solid. The 51FD is very good for CD listening and SD upscaling. With BD playback it has a lot of adjustments that allow to match it well with your display. As you may have read in the home theater magazine review, it has this sort of fine detail that it is add to the overall pq.
With the Pio 51fd the other advantage is that you can turn off the deep color trick, by setting the player to output 4:2:2 instead of 4:4:4, thus no artifacts in the color are added...
The bad thing about the pioneer is in terms of the speed, DTS HD MA decoding and customer support from the company.. They take a while to get firmware to fix some issues with certain disks...

The panasonic is a very solid player. I haven't had any trouble playing any disk. In the past I had the BD30 and know that the company has excellent support to their players... The BD60 has similar adjustments to the picture than the 51fd but you cannot manually for instance turn off the deep color trick... The player is also faster and can decode any of the HD audio formats.
In terms of SD playback is good but not in the same league as with the pioneer.. In terms of CD playback, I haven't yet tested but I do have an oppo980h that I use strictly for music...

I went the other way around; from a BD60 to a Pio 51FD. to be honest I have nothing bad to say about the Panny, as it was solid with great PQ. Being the shallow guy I am, I appreciate the higher quality fit and finish of the Pio, from its outstanding DAC (great as a CD player) to its wonderful PQ. There has been a rash of issues with Fox BD titles on some units which require the units to be sent back for repair. Even with its playback issues, slow bootup time, relatively poor reviews its one of the most adored players on this forum, which is a testament to its PQ.
post #733 of 8256 Old 04-22-2009, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetGod View Post

When i turn off the player while viewing a movie, the player does not remember
where i was in the movie and 'starts the movie over from the beginning'.
I had a Sony DVD player that could remember this. Just seems like an easy feature to include.

Thats all.

That was a DVD player and this is BD player. Almost all BD players behave like this on BDJ discs. It is not as easy as you thought. OTOH,if you put in a DVD, it will behave just like your Sony.
post #734 of 8256 Old 04-22-2009, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
As a Canadian, I envy my fellow States-side forum members who are enjoying sub-$250 pricing on this stellar Panny player....the BD60 has yet to make its Canadian debut (at least here in Alberta) with fairly substantial rumours that it will be released with a $450.00 Cdn MRSP !! .... waaaaaaah -- not fair ! :-(

HiDef S c o p e Fanboy-man
post #735 of 8256 Old 04-22-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post

Thanks for the comparison man. I've been looking at both of these players. I'm still up in the air, I might just wait for the DTS firmware to come out then get the pioneer, but I'll probably change my mind again...then again...and most likely again. It just never stops with home theater, I love it!
post #736 of 8256 Old 04-22-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambientcafe View Post

As a Canadian, I envy my fellow States-side forum members who are enjoying sub-$250 pricing on this stellar Panny player....the BD60 has yet to make its Canadian debut (at least here in Alberta) with fairly substantial rumours that it will be released with a $450.00 Cdn MRSP !! .... waaaaaaah -- not fair ! :-(

I'm in Edmonton man and you can buy the BD60 at visions for $450 like you said . So lame.
post #737 of 8256 Old 04-22-2009, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithHackney View Post

I'm in Edmonton man and you can buy the BD60 at visions for $450 like you said . So lame.

Thanks for the heads up regarding Visions 'Keith H'....I never thought to check with them and was hoping that F/S will have an introductory price promo when they finally get the BD60 next month....like you said, hard to believe us Canucks are being penalized this $150-200 price differential. I'm tempted to get the BD35 for $350, if I could find one....as an aside, I paid $550 for my BD30 back in the day.... :-(

HiDef S c o p e Fanboy-man
post #738 of 8256 Old 04-22-2009, 07:04 PM

Greetings,

I just got a Panasonic BD-80 player today. I have a Panasonic L-300U LCD
projector, so I didn't anticipate any compatability problems beyond the
physical. That is, the projector does not have an HDMI input. It has a
DVI-D input. I guess when they made it, that's where they thought the
industry would go. I got the projector back in... 2002 or 2003. Anyway,
I bought a cable that would connect HDMI to DVI-D and plugged everything
in. According to the projector specs, it should be able to handle up to 1080i.

No picture. So I hooked up the component video cables that I had been
using for the Sony DVD player that I used until today, and the picture came
through the components just fine. When I went into the setup menu and set
the component output to 1080i, there was an immediate and obvious change
in the resolution of the image. But my understanding was that the tech was
deliberately hobbled to prevent hi-def signals from going out over the
component cables.

So I tried playing the one Blu-Ray disc I have so far: Dark City. When I
examined a particular scene (a close-up of a watch dial) the writing on
the watch face as well as the wrinkles on the person's hand were notably
clearer when the component out is set to 1080i as opposed to 480p. The
real revelation was when I put the old 1999 DVD of Dark City into another
DVD player (a Sampo, just for reference). It looked washed out and blurry
in comparison to either image on the blu-ray.

So I am very confused. Did I just waste the money on an HDMI cable?
Or are there untold riches of further blu-ray goodness that I'm not yet
seeing because I'm watching over the regular component video? Any
suggestions as to how I can get the projector and the player to talk to
each other over the HDMI/DVI cable? Obviously, I have set the HDMI
output to "on", and I tried several different output formats, from "Auto"
to "480p" to "1080i". I kept all the special settings like 24p off. Still
nothing comes through the DVI port. I know the port works because I
occasionally hook my computer up to it, and it can talk to computers
just fine.

So why am I getting nothing from the blu ray? I suppose the cable could
be bad; I could take a voltmeter to it and make sure the pins are connecting
properly, but I have to think this is more likely to be a handshake problem
then a cable problem. The cable was definitely firmly seated. Audio came
through the optical port to my amplifier just fine (no HDMI on the amp).

I have not yet tried playing the 1999 DVD on the blu-ray player; I'll try
that tomorrow, just for comparison. I don't expect anyone here to know
the details of the projector, but if you know the BD-80 well, do you know if
it's really sending a 1080i signal down the components, or is it just that the
rendering of the 2009 blu-ray disc is so much better than the 1999 DVD that
even at 480p it looks much better. If that's the case, why did it look even
better when I manually set the component out to 1080i? And if it *does*
send a 1080i signal down the component lines, why does the manual say
that it won't???? Or does the Dark City disc not have the copy-protect
signal activated? That seems unlikely.

Help!

Thanks!

Astroprof
post #739 of 8256 Old 04-22-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinklefree View Post

I went the other way around; from a BD60 to a Pio 51FD. to be honest I have nothing bad to say about the Panny, as it was solid with great PQ. Being the shallow guy I am, I appreciate the higher quality fit and finish of the Pio, from its outstanding DAC (great as a CD player) to its wonderful PQ. There has been a rash of issues with Fox BD titles on some units which require the units to be sent back for repair. Even with its playback issues, slow bootup time, relatively poor reviews its one of the most adored players on this forum, which is a testament to its PQ.

I am shallow too as I purchased the Pioneer 05, I place a premium on the aesthetics and like subtantial looking components. I haven't had a 5 pound lightweight in my rack since my first Sony DVD player when the format was new years ago. However, I have had a change of heart and purchased the BD60 and returned my Pioneer 05. Although the Pioneer was attractive to look at, that was where it started and ended. The fact of the matter is that the Pioneer doesn't do anything particularly well, it is slow, the navigation is clumsy and it is tempermental with certain disks. As much as I wanted to match it with my other Pioneer gear, the Panasonic just made more sense. Even if the Panasonic is not the fastest and even if it may stumble occasionally like the others, it is reasonable for what it does and has a chance to be more reliable. I can see why many are seduced by the Pioneer 51, you get a substantial looking component but for now I would rather have the 5 pound Panasonic.
post #740 of 8256 Old 04-22-2009, 07:22 PM

How do I quick switch subtitles on and off while watching a movie?
post #741 of 8256 Old 04-22-2009, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Astroprof - You can get 1080i over component cables from Blu-ray. The limitation is on upscaling DVDs. That's limited to 480p.
post #742 of 8256 Old 04-23-2009, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrat8ed View Post

How do I quick switch subtitles on and off while watching a movie?

Hello,

Press DISPLAY button while watching movie. You can then access and change on the fly some settings like sound channel (ENG, FRA,...) and subtitles.

Fred
post #743 of 8256 Old 04-23-2009, 02:15 AM

Liked: 17
Does anyone know of a UK shop that ships internationally ? I really would like to buy one of these Panasonic players but it must be region B. I've had no luck thus far. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Regards,
post #744 of 8256 Old 04-23-2009, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Astroprof - You can get 1080i over component cables from Blu-ray. The limitation is on upscaling DVDs. That's limited to 480p.

Thanks! I'll keep working on the HDMI problem so I can get the upscaling
feature, but at least it's good to know I am getting the Hi-Def blu-ray
images I went to all this trouble for. :-)

Yours,

Astroprof
post #745 of 8256 Old 04-23-2009, 04:04 AM

I will be travelling from Asia to milwaukee for 5 days.. Is there an AV shop in milwaukee with good deal or you'all buy it from ebay/amazon ?
I afraid amazon/ebay might not delay on time, as I will only be staying at that hotel for 5 days.... if the shipping got delayed.. I'm doom.
post #746 of 8256 Old 04-23-2009, 06:26 AM
BJM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroprof View Post

So why am I getting nothing from the blu ray? I suppose the cable could
be bad; I could take a voltmeter to it and make sure the pins are connecting
properly, but I have to think this is more likely to be a handshake problem
then a cable problem. The cable was definitely firmly seated.

I'm assuming you mean why aren't you getting anything from the BD-80 HDMI output. The DVI input on the L300U is not HDCP compliant. It's a seriously outdated projector. All HDMI source components are HDCP.

Quote:
Did I just waste the money on an HDMI cable?

Yes. Sorry. Return it if you can. Get a new pj. You won't be sorry you did.

...... There is no spoon
post #747 of 8256 Old 04-23-2009, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinklefree View Post

I moved initially from the BD30 to the PI51fd due to its build quality and improved PQ. At that time it was a good move... But after more than 8 months on having BD playback issues and lack of DTS HD MA decoding, I decided to give away build up quality, CD and SD DVD playback for solid BD playback and the ability to decode DTS HD MA...
If I had a preamplifier that can simultaneously decode the HD audio formats and had the Audyssey EQ on, then I guess I could have stayed with the Pioneer for another year or so...
Now, in terms of PQ for BD playback at 1080p @ 24fps, the differences are very subtle.. The 51fd adds this little fine detail by boosting some EE, while the BD60 offers a more natural look to the image.. This actually depends upon personal tastes... In my setup, with a 100 Studiotek 130 screen and JVC RS20 ISF/THX professinally calibrated, I prefer the BD60 look...

Christian

post #748 of 8256 Old 04-23-2009, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambientcafe View Post

Thanks for the heads up regarding Visions 'Keith H'....I never thought to check with them and was hoping that F/S will have an introductory price promo when they finally get the BD60 next month....like you said, hard to believe us Canucks are being penalized this $150-200 price differential. I'm tempted to get the BD35 for $350, if I could find one....as an aside, I paid $550 for my BD30 back in the day.... :-(

Quebec Audio has DB60's in stock for $400. And if shipping out of province, there will be no provincial sales tax (we know how much you Albertans hate that).

Mike
post #749 of 8256 Old 04-23-2009, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

I put The Wrestler in and it won’t play. It keeps reading the disc and the display shows all zeros. Can’t get to the main menu, either.

I just watched the Wrestler this week and it played fine on my BD60 (rented from Blockbuster).
post #750 of 8256 Old 04-23-2009, 07:39 AM

I'm seriously considering going from my 60GB PS3 to a BD80 for dvd and bluray playback, mainly because I find the PS3's fan noise during quieter sections of movies extremely annoying.

I have a couple of questions regarding the Panny BD80 I hope some of you can answer:

1. Is the BD80 relatively quiet during operation, is there any spinning noise, hissing or hum?

2. How does BD80's PQ on bluray playback and dvd upscaling compare to the PS3?

3. The reviews I've read on the BD80 mentions very good AQ, how does this compare to the PS3 (which I've heard is merely average in terms of AQ from professional comparisons)?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Panasonic Dmp Bd80k Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd60 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Panasonic

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page