Official Panasonic DMP-BD60/80 Owners Thread - Page 263 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7861 of 8263 Old 02-09-2011, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What settings do you need to make so that this player DOES NOT do any upconverting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7862 of 8263 Old 02-11-2011, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As title states, I am running 1.5. I purchased this player (BD-60 floor demo) to gain entry into BD, and to replace a upconverting SONY DVD player. I have had no issues with playing BD titles so far, and the 1080 24P output is outstanding on my SONY LCD monitor. I plan on using the SONY Bravia for Netflix via ethernet cable, and have no intention of using the BD-60 for internet content. So, if you are still with me, is there any reason to upgrade firmware (as to the ability) to play the newer BD titles? I understand that future copyright encryption may determine this, or am I wrong?
post #7863 of 8263 Old 02-11-2011, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoG View Post

What settings do you need to make so that this player DOES NOT do any upconverting?

the player doesn't support source direct so for DVD's it will at a minimum deinterlace to 480p. For Blu-ray, turn on 24p output and set HDMI resolution to 1080p. That's the best that can be done.
post #7864 of 8263 Old 02-11-2011, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooTDI View Post

As title states, I am running 1.5. I purchased this player (BD-60 floor demo) to gain entry into BD, and to replace a upconverting SONY DVD player. I have had no issues with playing BD titles so far, and the 1080 24P output is outstanding on my SONY LCD monitor. I plan on using the SONY Bravia for Netflix via ethernet cable, and have no intention of using the BD-60 for internet content. So, if you are still with me, is there any reason to upgrade firmware (as to the ability) to play the newer BD titles? I understand that future copyright encryption may determine this, or am I wrong?

If a new firmware is released check back here before you upgrade and see if the player is having any issues with the new firmware. The international suport site usually has a very terse description of what the firmware is for. They say if it is for Blu-ray playability, Viera Cast, etc., but no specifics.
post #7865 of 8263 Old 02-14-2011, 01:45 PM

I just received this cleaner from Amazon for under $20 and it does a great job. Oh BTW Bob take a look at my post below and see if you can give me a headsup on why my BD-60 rejects the new discs I try to play in this player. If you have anything you can share I would really appreciate it. My firmware is current.

Thanks

Doc
post #7866 of 8263 Old 02-14-2011, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I quickly searched this thread for "1080p60" and "TM700" and found nothing. So here is a question: if anyone of you has a Panasonic HD camcorder that can record Full HD video -- that is, 1080p60 or 1080p50 in 50 Hz land like the "700" and the "600" models -- can you play these Full HD videos right off the SDHC card on your player? I cannot. My player rejects these clips. But if I re-wrap these clips with MultiAVCHD and copy to a card again, the player plays them. I find it odd that a Panasonic BD player cannot play video from a Panasonic camcorder, but can play the same video authored with a third-party tool.
post #7867 of 8263 Old 02-14-2011, 02:01 PM

I will address this to one of the resident experts.

I just bought the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame BD disc set and it rejects them totally, it tries to read a minute or so and quickly goes to STOP. These discs look silver as opposed to some of the other darker colors I have seen on some new discs. I just wondered if that might be relevant? Will resetting the player make a difference? It seems that some brands of discs will load without any problems at all. I have BD discs that I can play on any other player, but they refuse to load or play on this BD-60. It doesnt make a difference if they are my own creations or store bought. BTW I stuck Disc 1 of the R&R Hall of Fame disc in my computers BD player and it loads up and plays just fine. Go figure..

Thanks for any input.

Doc
post #7868 of 8263 Old 02-14-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post
I quickly searched this thread for "1080p60" and "TM700" and found nothing. So here is a question: if anyone of you has a Panasonic HD camcorder that can record Full HD video -- that is, 1080p60 or 1080p50 in 50 Hz land like the "700" and the "600" models -- can you play these Full HD videos right off the SDHC card on your player? I cannot. My player rejects these clips. But if I re-wrap these clips with MultiAVCHD and copy to a card again, the player plays them. I find it odd that a Panasonic BD player cannot play video from a Panasonic camcorder, but can play the same video authored with a third-party tool.
I have a TM700 and the BD60. In the TM700 manual it states only the Panasonic 3d blu ray player(forgot the exact model#) can play 1080p60 from an SD card. Any of the other recording modes on the TM700 (AVCHD) can play fine on my BD60.
What do you mean by re-wrap the clips? Is the 3rd party tool converting 1080p60 to AVCHD? Sounds interesting if there's no conversion occurring .
post #7869 of 8263 Old 02-17-2011, 09:59 PM

Im sure this question has been asked before, but I do not have the time to look through entire thread looking for it. I tried searching for it, but no luck. I want to know how to check the firmware version on my DMP-605? I looked through the manual but it does not say in there how to check your current version.

Thanks in advance.
post #7870 of 8263 Old 02-18-2011, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJack78 View Post

Im sure this question has been asked before, but I do not have the time to look through entire thread looking for it. I tried searching for it, but no luck. I want to know how to check the firmware version on my DMP-605? I looked through the manual but it does not say in there how to check your current version.

Thanks in advance.

Don't feel bad, it's not anywhere in the manual, only at the firmware download web site. Go into Setup->Display then press the Status key on the remote. The version number will display in the lower right.
post #7871 of 8263 Old 02-18-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post

Don't feel bad, it's not anywhere in the manual, only at the firmware download web site. Go into Setup->Display then press the Status key on the remote. The version number will display in the lower right.

Thanks, I will give it a try.
post #7872 of 8263 Old 02-18-2011, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushinut View Post

I have a TM700 and the BD60. In the TM700 manual it states only the Panasonic 3d blu ray player(forgot the exact model#) can play 1080p60 from an SD card. Any of the other recording modes on the TM700 (AVCHD) can play fine on my BD60.

What do you mean by re-wrap the clips? Is the 3rd party tool converting 1080p60 to AVCHD? Sounds interesting if there's no conversion occurring .

MultiAVCHD. Use the original MTS files and render using "SDHC card" profile. The tool will make copies of your original MTS files, but these are not bit-by-bit copies, they have their header info changed, while the encoded video is not changed. The file sizes will be different, but the video is still there same, which is why the process is relatively fast. MultiAVCHD uses tsMuxer behind the scenes, so you probably can achieve the same result with tsMuxer alone, though I haven't tried.

Then copy the resulting directory structure onto a card and the player will show the vids in their full 1080p60 glory.
post #7873 of 8263 Old 02-18-2011, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Hey All,

Just got my optical cable in the mail today. I am able to connect the 85k directly to my soundbar via optical and get sound. Since the soundbar only accepts pcm audio in, i changed the output from bittstream to pcm and turned off hdmi audio and everything works fine. What isn't working though is connecting the soundbar to the TV's optical out. I have a 42" Panasonic TC-P42U1. I have the tv speakers set to offf, but I can't get any sound from the TV v. I was hoping to be able to use the optical out so tv programs come through the sound bar too, I'm lost as to know what to do though. I'm unable to find any apparent options to force pcm out. Any ideas please?

Thanks
post #7874 of 8263 Old 02-18-2011, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I wasn't sure what the TV outout via optical that's why I was asking. I haven't found a soundbar that can take HDMI. As long as I can watch DVD/blu-ray discs with the optical connection I'm good. This soundbar was only temporary anyway until I can afford something better

btw, the initial post was meant for the panasonic 85 thread as that's the player involved here. I posted here by mistake, and now I can't delete it.
post #7875 of 8263 Old 02-25-2011, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Just wanted to give an update, I was able to get the picture quality "ok" by turning on my TV and the Blu-ray player's noise reduction options.

Just to see if I was just crazy, I picked up a Sony BDP-S370 BR player today and WOW, what a difference! Even standard DVD's look much better and the Blu-ray picture is as good as I would expect.

I don't know why either of my Panasonic players didn't look good on my TV but I can confirm that with the same settings and connections that the new player looks great!
post #7876 of 8263 Old 02-25-2011, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin803 View Post

Just wanted to give an update, I was able to get the picture quality "ok" by turning on my TV and the Blu-ray player's noise reduction options.

Just to see if I was just crazy, I picked up a Sony BDP-S370 BR player today and WOW, what a difference! Even standard DVD's look much better and the Blu-ray picture is as good as I would expect.

I don't know why either of my Panasonic players didn't look good on my TV but I can confirm that with the same settings and connections that the new player looks great!

I find those results unusual. I have the sony BDP-S570, Panasonic DMP-BD601, and the Panasonic DMP-BD85. both the panasonic players look better then the sony when it comes to DVDs, though on smaller screens it's really hard to tell. I would say that for the average user, the overall difference is small I notice the differences more between my 42" panasonic plasma/BD85, vs my Sony 32" EX400 sony BD-S570. The panasonic 601, is a secondary on the sony TV, because the 570 has stability glitches when it comes to firmware, so the 601 is the solid fallback for blu-ray playback.

I would say for me, the most noticeable differences are color clarity and crispness to DVD video. The sony tends not to be as vivid, depending on source material, this can be a big difference, or an unnoticeable one. I want to say, I also noticed about the same type of differences with blu-ray material, but there again, it seems to be source based.

Overall, I think Panasonic makes a more stable, line of players with better video processing then sony, when it comes to consumer level electronics. I've come to this conclusion with about 2/1/2 years experience with panasonic players, and about 6 months with the sony.
post #7877 of 8263 Old 02-25-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post

I find those results unusual. I have the sony BDP-S570, Panasonic DMP-BD601, and the Panasonic DMP-BD85. both the panasonic players look better then the sony when it comes to DVDs, though on smaller screens it's really hard to tell. I would say that for the average user, the overall difference is small I notice the differences more between my 42" panasonic plasma/BD85, vs my Sony 32" EX400 sony BD-S570. The panasonic 601, is a secondary on the sony TV, because the 570 has stability glitches when it comes to firmware, so the 601 is the solid fallback for blu-ray playback.

I would say for me, the most noticeable differences are color clarity and crispness to DVD video. The sony tends not to be as vivid, depending on source material, this can be a big difference, or an unnoticeable one. I want to say, I also noticed about the same type of differences with blu-ray material, but there again, it seems to be source based.

Overall, I think Panasonic makes a more stable, line of players with better video processing then sony, when it comes to consumer level electronics. I've come to this conclusion with about 2/1/2 years experience with panasonic players, and about 6 months with the sony.

Seems unusual to me too, I don't think the Panny is a bad player and I liked it with my RPTV but for whatever reason, the PQ was just awful with my particular 60" LED and I tried just about everything to get it to look good.
post #7878 of 8263 Old 02-25-2011, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin803 View Post

Seems unusual to me too, I don't think the Panny is a bad player and I liked it with my RPTV but for whatever reason, the PQ was just awful with my particular 60" LED and I tried just about everything to get it to look good.

Sounds to me, either just a bad unit, or just some weird incompatibility between the player/TV. Especially if you tried the usual suspects hdmi cable, etc. Also a good tip is always turn off noise reduction, especially for blu-ray. Sometimes it just makes the picture worse. Either way sounds like you already took that into consideration when troubleshooting.
post #7879 of 8263 Old 02-25-2011, 09:18 PM

Yeah, I always made a point of turning noise reduction off but as a last resort for testing I turned them on and they did get rid of a lot of the noise.

I am leaning towards some weird compatibility issue with my particular TV.
post #7880 of 8263 Old 02-25-2011, 11:38 PM

can i somehow use my BD-60 to stream mp3's from my PC ?
post #7881 of 8263 Old 02-27-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvasko View Post

Ok, let's start over again I canceled out the BD65 order cause Amazon had an ad for one at 120.00. But after reading some different replies decided to pull plug on BD60 and let it sit for an hour (for a reset, know it did not need that long) also decided at same time to unplug HDMI from an HDMI switch and instead plugged directly into TV.

Well I am now going to tattoo parlor and on my forehead will be info that in future (1st step unplug any unit for a reset"

I don't have a clue if the HDMI switch had a handshake glitch or just a glitch in BD60 but now know that a reset is 1st thing to try.

I probably have read the reset thing about a million times, as I have quoted before, I am not brightest bulb in the box. In spite of my stupidity all is back to normal and working properly.

I'm having the identical problem with my BD80. Plays everything but Bluray all of a sudden. I'd tried unplugging and plugging back in but I'm going to try the hour reset idea you've suggested. Network cable, power, and HDMI have all been unplugged. I left the 7.1 cables intact because I, well, am dumb and don't feel like figuring out which is which again. Will report back later on my progress.
post #7882 of 8263 Old 03-09-2011, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I was watching The Next Three Days, and I got a message that I need to update the software. My guess is it was from Lionsgate and not the firmware. The update messages seemed quite different from the normal FW updates. Has anyone encountered this before and do you know what it was. (This is the 1st time I have seen this.)
post #7883 of 8263 Old 03-09-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingus View Post

I was watching The Next Three Days, and I got a message that I need to update the software. My guess is it was from Lionsgate and not the firmware. The update messages seemed quite different from the normal FW updates. Has anyone encountered this before and do you know what it was. (This is the 1st time I have seen this.)

Believe it or not, Panasonic's BD80 BluRay player can be updated via internet connection, BUT ONLY IF THAT INTERNET CONNECTION IS HARD-WIRED(!) Since mine is DSL, I need to do so via disk. Anybody know which F/W update version I need?
post #7884 of 8263 Old 03-09-2011, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post

Hey All,

What isn't working though is connecting the soundbar to the TV's optical out. I have a 42" Panasonic TC-P42U1. I have the tv speakers set to offf, but I can't get any sound from the TV v. I was hoping to be able to use the optical out so tv programs come through the sound bar too, I'm lost as to know what to do though. I'm unable to find any apparent options to force pcm out. Any ideas please?

Thanks

I have a 46" Panasonic Plasma, but everything goes through the my Onkyo amp. There are limitations on the Optical Out. Like, I think it only works when using the internal ATSC tuner, Viera Cast (I use it for this) and maybe the SD Card (content that originates on the TV). Check your Owners Manual.

Living Room Home-Theater:
Epson 8350 1080p Projector (96") / Panasonic TH-46pz850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 7.2 HDMI Audio/Video Amplifier/Receiver (630 watts)
Panasonic DMP-BD60 Blu-Ray Disc Player / Cisco 8742hdc DVR (TimeWarner)
Harmony 670 - Universal Remote / HTPC (XMBC/Win7-64) Media Server PC
Polk Audio Monitor Series II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / PSW505 12-Inch Sub
post #7885 of 8263 Old 03-12-2011, 12:19 PM

Does anyone know if there is a dedicated owners thread for a DMP-BD70V Blu-ray/VHS player? Someone else said there was, but after doing several searches on AVS, I haven't found anything.
post #7886 of 8263 Old 03-13-2011, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DECJ View Post

Does anyone know if there is a dedicated owners thread for a DMP-BD70V Blu-ray/VHS player? Someone else said there was, but after doing several searches on AVS, I haven't found anything.

Okay, finally got onto my PC. Here is the link:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1145175

Like I said, for DVD/BD playback the information here also applies to the BD70V.
post #7887 of 8263 Old 03-13-2011, 01:46 PM

OK, thanks much for the link. I don't know why I couldn't find it, but I will check it now.

And I realize that the DVD/BD playback information on this thread also applies to the BD70V, but I wanted to specifically look into VHS playback issues, so the thread you gave the link to will hopefully help me out in that specific regard.

Thanks again
post #7888 of 8263 Old 03-14-2011, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingus View Post
I got it this weekend, too. It was from the movie, not the device. I said no when it came up thinking it was for the device, not wanting to wait for it to complete. Afterwards, I went back to the BD65 setup and checked for updates. It said I was already current.

Mike
post #7889 of 8263 Old 03-15-2011, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

How do i turn of the beep sound when scrolling down the 'Youtube' clips?
DMP-BD60
Many Thanks
post #7890 of 8263 Old 03-15-2011, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover2002 View Post

How do i turn of the beep sound when scrolling down the 'Youtube' clips?
DMP-BD60
Many Thanks

Start Viera Cast, go to settings, Navigation Beeps, and toggle OFF by pressing the Okay button on the remote.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Panasonic Dmp Bd80k Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd60 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Panasonic

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page