post #7981 of 8257 Old 08-08-2011, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehockeycham View Post
yes i read the manual. it wasn't helpful at all. it doesn't explain how many steps there are in order to play content off either an sd card or a usb drive.

no i don't have a jump drive.
I would have thought MultiAVCHD would have done it. Be sure you are transcoding to the Panasonic VideoCam format. If the player thinks the video came straight from a Panny VideoCam it should play it.

A JumpDrive and USB flash drive are the same thing. I think the other poster was saying to try it from both the SD card slot and USB slot before giving up.

It might be time to install a computer or digital media extender box to play videos. I use an old XP computer running MediaPortal.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7982 of 8257 Old 08-11-2011, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thanks. as soon as I can scrape up a little extra money, it really is time to network a couple pcs to my two main tvs.
post #7983 of 8257 Old 08-21-2011, 04:22 PM

Am using an Access point, which worked with Viera Cast Pandora before (~ 2 months ago). Don't believe anything on my end has changed (BD605 2.5 update's been in a long time, too). Did some other "feature" of Viera Cast come in to kill my audio on Pandora and You Tube but not Amazon (at least the trailers - haven't streamed/downloaded anything.). All the FIOS and Access Point and BD60 network things look really good (35/35 on FIOS).

Mike
post #7984 of 8257 Old 09-05-2011, 09:41 AM

All - I am trying to check out with people who were successfully able to make panasonic firmware patch or upgrade to play netflix on DMP-BD60. I am really disappointed that this player has no netflix to play. I have this unit hardware modified to play region free dvd's and bd's.

Can someone help me to gain access to upgrade the firmware to play netflix on this. Please feel free to contact me with the firmware patch and procedure to do it. thanks and appreciate it. can be reached on cnplkart@yahoo.com
post #7985 of 8257 Old 09-06-2011, 02:09 PM

I have a Panasonic DMP-BD60K. Today I purchased a Netgear Universal Wireless Internet Adapter (WNCE2001). My router is a Netgear N300. The adapter was attached to the Panasonic player. The connection test passed. I tried to update the firmware but the connection failed. Pressing the Viera button on the remote the connection also fails.
I do have a security code for my Netgear WIFI router.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I don't have any problem streaming HD video to my Dish Network box using their WIFI adapter.
post #7986 of 8257 Old 09-06-2011, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
You probably need to set WPS (WiFi Protected Security) on the adpater. It has a "Push and Connect" button to do this automatically or it can be done manually.

Instructions from the Installation Guide.

Installation with WPS

Step 1: Connect the WNCE2001 to your TV, XBox, or Blu-ray player using the Ethernet cable (included) and one of the power connection options. For more information on power-up methods, see “Power Connection Options” on the reverse side.

Step 2: Wait until the Power LED on button the WNCE2001 is solid green. Push the WPS button on the WNCE2001. The WLAN LED will blink amber and green, showing that the WPS is running.

Step 3: Push the WPS button on your router. The WLAN LED on the WNCE2001 will stay green for 5 seconds when the wireless connection has been established.

Step 4: Congratulations! Your installation is complete.

edit - Product video

If your router has no WPS button or you have trouble with the Push and Connect process follow the manual WPS setup in the installation guide linked above.
post #7987 of 8257 Old 09-06-2011, 04:54 PM

Tried it again. Internet connection said "Pass". But unable to connect for software updates of Viera Cast.
post #7988 of 8257 Old 09-06-2011, 06:44 PM

I am still having some trouble setting up my BD80:

AVR: Yamaha HTR-6130

To the Yami I have connected the 6 analog audio from the BD80. When I go to Setup->TV/Device Connection in the BD80 the Analog Audio Output is set to 2 Ch + 5.1 Ch. When I go through the Analog Audio Output Tone Test in the BR player, I am not getting any tones from the surrounds. It is skipping over the subwoofer. What could be the problem. I have checked all the connections from the BR player to the AVR. I play Dark Night and I have only FR, FL and C speakers producing sound. The woofer is getting nothing as it is only showing a red standby light where it should be green is getting some sound signal. This is really driving me nuts.

My other issue is lets say I want to use my optical cable. I have connected the optical digial cable from the AVR (from another connection obviously) to the back of the BR player. In the Setup -> Audio -> Digital Audio section in the BD80 I have Bitstream selected for both choices and BD Video Secondary Audio is Off. I go to the proper input on my AVR and play the DVD and I get no sound. Wahat am I doing wrong here? How can I get audio using optical cable?

I tested the AVR on regular TV on 5 channel stereo and all channels are working. The woofer is even getting a signal and showing green.

Could it be that the wires in the back of the BD80 going to the analog 5.1 for the woofer and surrounds are crap?

Any help would be appreciated. on the issues am having. I am a relative nebie when it comes to this so simplicity works best for me

Thanks in advance.
post #7989 of 8257 Old 09-08-2011, 07:13 AM

Check the settings of the receiver in its set up menu. I'm not sure what they will be, but your manual on the Yammi should tell you.
post #7990 of 8257 Old 09-09-2011, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amer786 View Post

To the Yami I have connected the 6 analog audio from the BD80. When I go to Setup->TV/Device Connection in the BD80 the Analog Audio Output is set to 2 Ch + 5.1 Ch. When I go through the Analog Audio Output Tone Test in the BR player, I am not getting any tones from the surrounds. It is skipping over the subwoofer. What could be the problem. I have checked all the connections from the BR player to the AVR. I play Dark Night and I have only FR, FL and C speakers producing sound. The woofer is getting nothing as it is only showing a red standby light where it should be green is getting some sound signal. This is really driving me nuts.

My other issue is lets say I want to use my optical cable. I have connected the optical digial cable from the AVR (from another connection obviously) to the back of the BR player. In the Setup -> Audio -> Digital Audio section in the BD80 I have Bitstream selected for both choices and BD Video Secondary Audio is Off. I go to the proper input on my AVR and play the DVD and I get no sound. Wahat am I doing wrong here? How can I get audio using optical cable?

I tested the AVR on regular TV on 5 channel stereo and all channels are working. The woofer is even getting a signal and showing green.

Could it be that the wires in the back of the BD80 going to the analog 5.1 for the woofer and surrounds are crap?

Any help would be appreciated. on the issues am having. I am a relative nebie when it comes to this so simplicity works best for me

Thanks in advance.

These players come with the sap set on. It screws up the hd audio, but I'm not sure about your problem. Check that. It is mentioned other times in this thread.
post #7991 of 8257 Old 09-09-2011, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amer786 View Post

Thanks in advance.

Do yourself a favor and just use the optical cable. It will do DD 5.1 and DTS digital bitstream and will sound real nice.

It sounds like you are trying to use the wrong settings for optical digital sound. Try these:

HDMI Audio Output = OFF
Digital Audio Outputs
-DD = Bitstream
-DTS = Bitstream
-BD-Video Secondary Audio = ON

Note: The settings for HDMI sound are different. The above should work fine until you get an HDMI capable AVR.

post #7992 of 8257 Old 09-12-2011, 09:28 AM

I have a Panasonic DMP-BD60K and since I purchased it several years ago, I have not had problem one with it and it has played ever disc that I have been able throw at it till now.

I purchased the new Scarface Limited Edition Blu-ray and after loading the disc it spins up and starts to play, it even gets to the Universal logo and then the screen just goes black and the disc stops.

I checked the firmware on the player and it is running 2.5 which is the latest for this player.

I checked around the Intenernet and there seem to be a few isolated reports of this disc not playing.

I opened a ticket with Panasonic and they want me to do troubleshooting over the phone which I will do tonight, although I don't see the point as the BD-60K is still playing other Blu-ray discs without issue.

I also sent an Email to Universal asking it is was a problem unique to the Scarface Blu-ray disc, but so far no reply from them.

Any help or suggestions that anyone can offer would be great!

If someone could just confirm the fact that the disc does not play on theire Panasic BD player that would be the best help I could get at this point.

(Still surprises me that the studios are still not doing a better job of testing these discs prior to release, but I guess they just don't test on the older players like the DMP-BD60K)
post #7993 of 8257 Old 09-12-2011, 05:10 PM

Just a quick update to let everyone know that I have called Panasonic Customer Service and spent 70+ minutes going though a number of troubleshooting steps on the Scarface disc and as I suspeced it does appear to be a firmware issue.

They gathered all of the data possible from me and claimed that I was the first one reporting the issue on the DMP-BD60K.

They said that they would esclate the ticket to the group responsible for firmware investigation and see if they can isolate the problem and get a new version of the firmware out.

Obviously there is no timeline ot ETA when replacement firmware might be out that will resolve the issue.

What kind of made me mad was the suggestion that I should just upgrade to a new player to resolve the issue. As this is the first firmware issue that I have, I am not pleased that this is the suggested route to fix problem firmware with older players.
post #7994 of 8257 Old 09-12-2011, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I had a similar problem with a BD-60 some time ago, but it was still under the 1 yr warranty, so Panasonic replaced it with a BD-605 which continues to work just fine. I understand your displeasure, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Panasonic to come up with a firmware update to solve the problem. You may have to upgrade to something else, given the cost of BR players around $100 you have to consider the fact that these are throwaway electronics that are just not worth repairing or fixing. So you may stay in the same ball park in terms of cost or make a quantum leap to an oppo 93 which is what I have done.
post #7995 of 8257 Old 09-12-2011, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstell View Post

I have a Panasonic DMP-BD60K and since I purchased it several years ago, I have not had problem one with it and it has played ever disc that I have been able throw at it till now.

I purchased the new Scarface Limited Edition Blu-ray and after loading the disc it spins up and starts to play, it even gets to the Universal logo and then the screen just goes black and the disc stops.

I checked the firmware on the player and it is running 2.5 which is the latest for this player.

I checked around the Intenernet and there seem to be a few isolated reports of this disc not playing.

I opened a ticket with Panasonic and they want me to do troubleshooting over the phone which I will do tonight, although I don't see the point as the BD-60K is still playing other Blu-ray discs without issue.

I also sent an Email to Universal asking it is was a problem unique to the Scarface Blu-ray disc, but so far no reply from them.

Any help or suggestions that anyone can offer would be great!

If someone could just confirm the fact that the disc does not play on theire Panasic BD player that would be the best help I could get at this point.

(Still surprises me that the studios are still not doing a better job of testing these discs prior to release, but I guess they just don't test on the older players like the DMP-BD60K)

Did they have you erase or format the SD memory card? If not, try that. I've had several titles that had problems loading and for me that always worked.
post #7996 of 8257 Old 09-13-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post

Did they have you erase or format the SD memory card? If not, try that. I've had several titles that had problems loading and for me that always worked.

Yes, they had me try the "erase the SD card" trick and actually I had significant problems getting that to work. (The 8GB card in the player had never been erased since I got the player, as I said I have never had a problem with it)

After taking the card out of the player and re-formatting it on my PC and then putting it back into the player, I was then able to re-format it without issue. I have since tested the card and it tests fine and I have also tried another card with the same result.

Thanks for suggesting it... for a minute I thought I was on to something.
post #7997 of 8257 Old 09-13-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

I understand your displeasure, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Panasonic to come up with a firmware update to solve the problem.

I have not been tracking this player on the forum since I purchased it, so I assume by your comment that Panasonic has not fixed many of the firmware playback problems for this model? It is strage that after all of this time I have finally happened upon a disc that would not play. As I said the player to this point has been rock solid and reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

You may have to upgrade to something else, given the cost of BR players around $100 you have to consider the fact that these are throwaway electronics that are just not worth repairing or fixing. So you may stay in the same ball park in terms of cost or make a quantum leap to an oppo 93 which is what I have done.

I would like to stay with Panasonic if I can. Don't want to make the jump to the Oppo, although I get the idea that if I did, firmware problems are not an issue and always fixed.

If I stay with Panasonic and I don't care if it has 3D support or not, which of the players seems to be the most solid and reliable. I don't care about the Vieracast features. (I might upgrade to 3D in the future, so it might be worth it to at least consider the 3D offerings)

Suggestions on which Panasonic model to consider or which to avoid?
post #7998 of 8257 Old 09-13-2011, 07:15 PM

The latest firmware for this player is more than a year old. And it has been reported before to Panasonic that the Alice in Wonderland (1951) Blu-ray doesn't work in the DMP-BD60, and they didn't release a firmware to correct the problem. So, yes, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a new firmware.

And that is a shame, because my BD60 has been a really good player.
post #7999 of 8257 Old 09-14-2011, 12:16 PM

The steps necessary to join this site would prohibit the normal person from going through the trouble. I almost gave up, but I'm the persistent type. The security is ridiculous for a site such as this!!!! I can get into my bank account with much less trouble!

That said. I suffered such incredible problems getting my Panasonic BD60 firmware upgraded from the factory installed version 1.1 to the current version 2.5 that I felt compelled to share my discoveries with other frustrated individuals. I probably spent about 5 hours researching ways to make this work. Panasonic is certainly not my favorite company to deal with. But that's another story. This BD player is about 2 years old, and recently refused to play a Blue Ray disk. I decided to upgrade the firmware. I have Vista on my main computer. After downloading the file from Panasonic's site, and burning my first coaster, I researched further and found the little message about the incompatibility of their firmware with Vista's burner app. Not realizing it was incompatible with the whole Vista operating system, I tried ImgBurn and Active ISO Burner. Two more coasters. BD player does all the tricks previously recited by other users of this site, and Panasonics site is no help at all. A call to Panasonic's help desk produced the promise of a CD in the mail in 7 to 14 days. Ridiculous!! They couldn't even tell me what was going on or what the error messages I was receiving meant!

The final solution was to use another PC I had that used the Windows XP operating system. When they tell you to use XP, buddy, they mean it!!

I downloaded a fresh .frm file from Panasonic, dragged it to the stock XP burner app, and burned the CD-R. The BD player was stuck on the L DRV message and was asking for a disc to be inserted. I inserted the disc burned on XP, and Viola, it didnt spit it out. The flashing message changed to L Main, and then a another flashing message and finally Finish. Took about 5 minutes or less.

So if you are trying a BD60 firmware upgrade. Save some grief and just use an XP box to start with.
post #8000 of 8257 Old 09-14-2011, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Just a quick update to let everyone know that I have called Panasonic Customer Service and spent 70+ minutes going though a number of troubleshooting steps on the Scarface disc and as I suspeced it does appear to be a firmware issue.

They gathered all of the data possible from me and claimed that I was the first one reporting the issue on the DMP-BD60K.

They said that they would esclate the ticket to the group responsible for firmware investigation and see if they can isolate the problem and get a new version of the firmware out.

Obviously there is no timeline ot ETA when replacement firmware might be out that will resolve the issue.

What kind of made me mad was the suggestion that I should just upgrade to a new player to resolve the issue. As this is the first firmware issue that I have, I am not pleased that this is the suggested route to fix problem firmware with older players.

If I were you, I would try to exchange your copy of Scarface if you haven't already done so. Sometimes, there are copies here and there that are defective. I know because this has happened to me before.
post #8001 of 8257 Old 09-14-2011, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easiemonee View Post

So if you are trying a BD60 firmware upgrade. Save some grief and just use an XP box to start with.

I would just get a long network cable to reach the box from your network connection and let the box update itself. Mine happens to be wired to internet so easy updates. /Dan
post #8002 of 8257 Old 09-15-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz View Post
If I were you, I would try to exchange your copy of Scarface if you haven't already done so. Sometimes, there are copies here and there that are defective. I know because this has happened to me before.
I have already exchanged it twice and contacted Universal, so I don't think the disc is defective as I tested this one in a Toshiba Blu-ray player and it worked fine.

I just wish it would have been that simple. At this point I am just going to bite the bullet and buy another Panasonic player, but I can't decide on which one to upgrade to.
post #8003 of 8257 Old 09-15-2011, 01:06 PM

Today, I just bought Scarface Limited Edition on BD. On my Panny BD80 with firmware 2.5 I was able to play it. I didn't get an update notice or disc error notice at all. Just a little slow going from preview to preview.

Jed "Freddy" Raybould
post #8004 of 8257 Old 09-16-2011, 09:21 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:

I have already exchanged it twice and contacted Universal, so I don't think the disc is defective as I tested this one in a Toshiba Blu-ray player and it worked fine.

I just wish it would have been that simple. At this point I am just going to bite the bullet and buy another Panasonic player, but I can't decide on which one to upgrade to.

I picked up the BD655 from Costco as an experiment in troubleshooting an issue with my BD80. The 655 was a very noticeable increase in PQ, motion flow and color over the BD80. In the end it was an issue with my AVR, but I kept the 655 hooked up.

While trying to troubleshoot a disc related issue I hooked the 80 back up and it was a noticeable step down in PQ, etc.
post #8005 of 8257 Old 09-16-2011, 08:52 PM

Ok. I haven't been on this site in some time, and I can't seem to find what I'm looking for with a search, nor do I wish to spend the time perusing 267 pages of thread to find it, so please forgive me if this has been addressed.

I have a DMP-BD60 purchased a couple years ago (so I believe it's out of warranty). I have been very happy with it, but I think it's starting to glitch out. About a week ago, I rented the movie "Source Code" on blu-ray. It got to the initial black screen with the "reading disc" message, then it changed to the blue splash screen with the same message. It buzzed and clicked for about two or three minutes, then stopped, saying the disc was unreadable. I swapped it for another copy. Same results. I then tried to watch another movie in my personal library ("Horton Hears a Who!"). Where once it used to play, now it does not. After going through several blu-ray movies in my library (all of which used to play just fine), I discovered that some of them play (like "House of 1000 Corpses," the new "Blues Brothers" release, and many others) while others do not (like the ones mentioned above, plus the new "X-Men First Class" and "Monsters"). I haven't, however, found any standard-definition DVDs that won't play.

I've since just bought a new blu-ray player, but it'd be nice if I could figure out how to get this one working again so I could sell it or use it in another room or something. Anyone ever heard of this problem and know how to fix it or whether a repair service could do it cost-effectively? Seems like it's got to have something to do with the power output of the blu-ray laser, but that's just a barely educated guess.

Thanks!
Tyson
post #8006 of 8257 Old 09-18-2011, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tystyx View Post

Ok. I haven't been on this site in some time, and I can't seem to find what I'm looking for with a search, nor do I wish to spend the time perusing 267 pages of thread to find it, so please forgive me if this has been addressed.

I have a DMP-BD60 purchased a couple years ago (so I believe it's out of warranty). I have been very happy with it, but I think it's starting to glitch out. About a week ago, I rented the movie "Source Code" on blu-ray. It got to the initial black screen with the "reading disc" message, then it changed to the blue splash screen with the same message. It buzzed and clicked for about two or three minutes, then stopped, saying the disc was unreadable. I swapped it for another copy. Same results. I then tried to watch another movie in my personal library ("Horton Hears a Who!"). Where once it used to play, now it does not. After going through several blu-ray movies in my library (all of which used to play just fine), I discovered that some of them play (like "House of 1000 Corpses," the new "Blues Brothers" release, and many others) while others do not (like the ones mentioned above, plus the new "X-Men First Class" and "Monsters"). I haven't, however, found any standard-definition DVDs that won't play.

I've since just bought a new blu-ray player, but it'd be nice if I could figure out how to get this one working again so I could sell it or use it in another room or something. Anyone ever heard of this problem and know how to fix it or whether a repair service could do it cost-effectively? Seems like it's got to have something to do with the power output of the blu-ray laser, but that's just a barely educated guess.

Thanks!
Tyson

Have you updated the firmware since you purchased it?

Denon X4000: Yamaha AS500;TS500;CDS300: Pioneer BDP62FD;BDP23FD;DV58AV;DV610: Panasonic DMP-BDT500; Sony BDP-S790; Samsung PS60E6500
post #8007 of 8257 Old 09-18-2011, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Thanks!
Tyson

I'll be getting Source Code later this week and I'll try it in my 70V, same as the 60 but with a VHS player. What you can try in the interim is to erase the BD Live memory on the SD card. If that doesn't clear it up, try it with the SD card removed. It may be that you are having trouble with Blu-rays that have BD Live since some BD's still play.
post #8008 of 8257 Old 09-18-2011, 12:28 PM

Blacklion, yeah it's up to speed on firmware. I even re-tried to see if it'd "forgot" to automatically check and it said it's up to date.

Moxie, I tried it with SD and without. Same results. Doesn't even get past "reading disc..." and it says the discs are unreadble (the ones that won't play anyway).
post #8009 of 8257 Old 09-18-2011, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Blacklion, yeah it's up to speed on firmware. I even re-tried to see if it'd "forgot" to automatically check and it said it's up to date.

Moxie, I tried it with SD and without. Same results. Doesn't even get past "reading disc..." and it says the discs are unreadble (the ones that won't play anyway).
Do regular DVDs play at all. If the do and the Blu Rays do not, it sounds like the Blu Ray laser may be bad.

My meager set up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8010 of 8257 Old 09-19-2011, 09:32 PM

That's why it's strange and almost seems like it should be fixable. Regular DVDs play fine, as do about half the blu-rays I try. It's literally about 50/50 hit and miss on the blu-rays. This is a brand new, sudden issue. No slow degradation or anything. And I take VERY good care of my discs. They are all in like new condition, so we can rule out me being one of those folks who use their discs as coasters and frisbees. ;^)

This makes me think it could be a minor adjustment on the laser or something. Not sure what separates half of the blu-rays from others. Doesn't seem to follow any particular movie studios or release dates or anything.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Panasonic Dmp Bd80k Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd60 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Panasonic

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page