Forum Jump: 

post #8071 of 8256 Old 12-27-2011, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierkdr View Post

Would it be a safe guess that replacing the blue laser probably costs more - or at least Nearly As Much - as simply buying a new player - ??

That's a good question that I'd like to know the answer to as well. I guess I would also like to know whether the blue laser in this player is more prone to failure over time, or whether all blue lasers are more subject to degradation and/or failure in all Blu-Ray players as compared to DVD lasers. Another way to look at this would be, is this another case of you get what you pay for, with a higher-end player likely having a higher quality and potentially longer lasting blue laser in it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8072 of 8256 Old 12-27-2011, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DECJ View Post

That's a good question that I'd like to know the answer to as well. I guess I would also like to know whether the blue laser in this player is more prone to failure over time, or whether all blue lasers are more subject to degradation and/or failure in all Blu-Ray players as compared to DVD lasers. Another way to look at this would be, is this another case of you get what you pay for, with a higher-end player likely having a higher quality and potentially longer lasting blue laser in it?

Re you get what you pay for, when I got my BD605 from Costco it was on sale for $259, not cheap. I would have expected more at those prices.
post #8073 of 8256 Old 12-28-2011, 05:27 AM

Yesterday I tried to play Toy Story 2(blu ray) on my player and it didn't work(the player can't read the disc), I never had problems with this disc before on the bd80(I also have parts 1 and 3 and they do play, other blu rays I own play fine too)...I tried it then on my PS3 and it played fine, is this the same problem others are having playing their discs? Does anyone know the cause of this?
post #8074 of 8256 Old 01-05-2012, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

BD60, Just Over 25 months old - started having trouble with blu-ray discs about a week ago.

Now plays SD DVDs just fine, but REFUSES to play Blu-rays...

Multiple runs of DR. Blu-ray Disc Cleaner has failed to improve situation. Have also tried Blindly shooting canned air into the tray area, simply hoping for the best...

Add the GREEN BLOBS and INCREASING PINK TINT visible on our 60" ST30, and must confess am not too happy with Panasonic right now.

At least we still have 30-Days to RETURN the ST30, thanks for Amazon's Holiday Return Policy =

But now am wondering whether it is smart to try another ST or not....

The saying in electronics; If its going to go out, it goes out right away. I would definitely return it and get a new one. Pannys are great plasmas (it is a plasma, right?) and you should NOT have issues.
post #8075 of 8256 Old 01-05-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:

BD60, Just Over 25 months old - started having trouble with blu-ray discs about a week ago.

Now plays SD DVDs just fine, but REFUSES to play Blu-rays...

Multiple runs of DR. Blu-ray Disc Cleaner has failed to improve situation. Have also tried Blindly shooting canned air into the tray area, simply hoping for the best...

Add the GREEN BLOBS and INCREASING PINK TINT visible on our 60" ST30, and must confess am not too happy with Panasonic right now.

At least we still have 30-Days to RETURN the ST30, thanks for Amazon's Holiday Return Policy =

But now am wondering whether it is smart to try another ST or not....

Quote:

Would it be a safe guess that replacing the blue laser probably costs more - or at least Nearly As Much - as simply buying a new player - ??

Try THIS.
post #8076 of 8256 Old 01-25-2012, 01:04 PM

Liked: 12
So I have recently purchased the BD-80 used. I am very happy with the player. I wanted the 7.1 analog out to connect to the inputs of my HK AVR 525. I know this is an old AVR but after looking at some of the newer units and hearing about various problems with HDMI inputs or outputs flaking or other problems I decided to keep my perfectly good unit a bit longer.

I used to be using the Sony BDP-S1. It had 5.1 analog out and I decided I was going to jump to the ability to decode 7.1. When I was using the Sony I would go in and set up the optical output for PCM and Rt/Lt output of both Dolby and DTS audio and decode the soundtracks with the Logic 7 processing in 7.1 mode. It sounded pretty good.

Now with the Panasonic trying to decode surround using Logic 7 isn't working out so well. I have found, and read in this forum, that the Panasonic BD80 does 2 channel mixes to stereo, but there does not seem to be any matrix information for my AVR 525 to work with. The Sony did seem to pass the matrix encoding a lot better. OR am I missing something in the settings? It would be nice to have this on some soundtracks and I find sometimes I prefer the matrix decoded over some discrete mixes.

I know all of this equipment is older but between the new economy, fear of problems I read about with equipment, I have decided to keep the older stuff a bit longer. My Panasonic is hooked directly to my overhead projector and I have not experienced any freezing problems. I had deduced personally that it was due to the jump from Panasonic, to AVR, to display, that was causing the freezing problems. Just my opinion though.

Anyway I am very happy with the HK 525 and Panasonic combo. The HK has internal level sets with bass management that is working very well for me I can select to do 6 channel (5.1) or 8 channel (7.1) inputs with bass management. The 525 then plays into external amps and the result is better than any local theaters to date.

With the DTS "feature" to replicate the surround channels into the back surrounds, I have been able to bypass that by choosing the 6 channel (5.1) inputs which then mute the two back surrounds. If I let the back surrounds play I notice some sound tends to wrap back between the two surround channels. I prefer not to let this happen, so I do like that I can shut the back two off if the soundtrack is 5.1. But back to Logic 7, sometimes I just liked the less discreet surround it could give, and IF it was possible to get that back, I would be nice. If not, Oh well, I am very pleased with being able to do DTS and Dolby with the analog outputs. Thanks.

Alan in Boise
Enjoying films in my home theater room more than I enjoy them at the local cinema. Better bass, better surrounds, better picture. Cheaper popcorn.
post #8077 of 8256 Old 01-25-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by awblackmon View Post

So I have recently purchased the BD-80 used. I am very happy with the player. I wanted the 7.1 analog out to connect to the inputs of my HK AVR 525. I know this is an old AVR but after looking at some of the newer units and hearing about various problems with HDMI inputs or outputs flaking or other problems I decided to keep my perfectly good unit a bit longer.

I used to be using the Sony BDP-S1. It had 5.1 analog out and I decided I was going to jump to the ability to decode 7.1. When I was using the Sony I would go in and set up the optical output for PCM and Rt/Lt output of both Dolby and DTS audio and decode the soundtracks with the Logic 7 processing in 7.1 mode. It sounded pretty good.

Now with the Panasonic trying to decode surround using Logic 7 isn't working out so well. I have found, and read in this forum, that the Panasonic BD80 does 2 channel mixes to stereo, but there does not seem to be any matrix information for my AVR 525 to work with. The Sony did seem to pass the matrix encoding a lot better. OR am I missing something in the settings? It would be nice to have this on some soundtracks and I find sometimes I prefer the matrix decoded over some discrete mixes.

I know all of this equipment is older but between the new economy, fear of problems I read about with equipment, I have decided to keep the older stuff a bit longer. My Panasonic is hooked directly to my overhead projector and I have not experienced any freezing problems. I had deduced personally that it was due to the jump from Panasonic, to AVR, to display, that was causing the freezing problems. Just my opinion though.

Anyway I am very happy with the HK 525 and Panasonic combo. The HK has internal level sets with bass management that is working very well for me I can select to do 6 channel (5.1) or 8 channel (7.1) inputs with bass management. The 525 then plays into external amps and the result is better than any local theaters to date.

With the DTS "feature" to replicate the surround channels into the back surrounds, I have been able to bypass that by choosing the 6 channel (5.1) inputs which then mute the two back surrounds. If I let the back surrounds play I notice some sound tends to wrap back between the two surround channels. I prefer not to let this happen, so I do like that I can shut the back two off if the soundtrack is 5.1. But back to Logic 7, sometimes I just liked the less discreet surround it could give, and IF it was possible to get that back, I would be nice. If not, Oh well, I am very pleased with being able to do DTS and Dolby with the analog outputs. Thanks.

Good luck with your project and hopefully someone will answer.

But ... wouldn't it be easier to just run SPDIF from the BD-80 to the amp and get pure digital 5.1 (decoded at the amp) and let the amp simulate 6.1 or 7.1?

post #8078 of 8256 Old 01-26-2012, 09:01 AM

Liked: 12
But ... wouldn't it be easier to just run SPDIF from the BD-80 to the amp and get pure digital 5.1 (decoded at the amp) and let the amp simulate 6.1 or 7.1?[/quote]

That is what I will be doing now. I was finding sometimes that the matrix soundtrack which can be embedded into the stereo channels sometimes could actually sound better or hold some surprises. I had found sometimes that they were actually mixed better than the digital channels. It was as though the sound mixers were having a bit of fun and buried their play time in the matrix channels.

On my Directv receiver I have turned off the Dolby Digital out and use my AVR525 to decode the audio using Logic 7. On Stargate Universe, which isn't being produced any longer, I actually got better surround effects when A/B checks were made on a scene. One scene in particular was during a trip they made to a planet and they were in a forested area. The Dolby Digital was ok but mostly to the front with a slight side wrap in ambience. With Logic 7 the forest was alive with birds and other life all around you.

Any way now with the Panasonic BD80 I do have the 7.1 audio decode which is really what I was after. When I would only be able to rent a DVD on a movie title I would decode the audio with Logic 7 and that option is gone. Oh well, that really isn't the end of the world. I was just wondering if someone had found a way to get the PCM tracks to do something other than stereo?

Alan in Boise
Enjoying films in my home theater room more than I enjoy them at the local cinema. Better bass, better surrounds, better picture. Cheaper popcorn.
post #8079 of 8256 Old 02-08-2012, 06:51 PM

hello,

I have DMP-BD60 player and last week I purchase Star Wars bluray set. I am unable to play movies 1, 4 and 5. The player is making weird clicking noises when I insert those discs and then it just says unable to read the disc. My friend tried the disc on his PS3 and it worked fine. Is there known issue with this player and Star Wars bluray ? I have the latest firmware
post #8080 of 8256 Old 02-09-2012, 03:39 AM
Advanced Member

My BD60 died on me 2 months ago. Same issues as you. But I havent been on this thread in a while and just read the post about taking it apart and cleaning it. So I might give that a go. See if it works.
post #8081 of 8256 Old 02-18-2012, 06:32 PM

Hello,
I hope someone can help me to figure out what is wrong with my set up.
- Panasonic-BD 605
- Harman/Kardon AVR-125 receiver
- 5.1 set up of speakers
- Blu Ray to receiver connected through optical cable since the receiver has not hdmi.

I bought the Immersion Box set of Pink Floyd "Wish you were here" that contains a Blu Ray disc with uncompressed music.
When I'm on the disc menu music sounds from all speakers. Then I select 5.1 surround mix 24bit/96khz uncompressed to start the listening experience but then the receiver switch to 2 channel stereo.

On BluRay set up I've: Audio -> Digital Audio output -> bitstream/bitstream and off for sec. audio.

I have others music DVDs with 5.1 surround and there is no issue but this one that is bluray doesn't want to play in 5 channels. Any idea?
Thanks in advance.
post #8082 of 8256 Old 02-19-2012, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
The High Res audio on BluRay needs either an HDMI or multi-channel analog connection. Your optical connection does not have enough bandwidth so the player is down converting the signal to two channel.

The BD60 does not have multi-channel analog outputs (the BD80 did) so the best you can do with your player/receiver combination is to make sure your player is set to Downmix as "Surround Encoded" (Setup -> Audio -> Downmix). It is probably set to "Stereo". That should get you multi channel audio, although not in the full resolution.

You should also change your Digital Audio Output to PCM from Bitstream since your receiver is not capable of decoding the High Res audio bitstream.
post #8083 of 8256 Old 02-19-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhard911 View Post

The High Res audio on BluRay needs either an HDMI or multi-channel analog connection. Your optical connection does not have enough bandwidth so the player is down converting the signal to two channel.

The BD60 does not have multi-channel analog outputs (the BD80 did) so the best you can do with your player/receiver combination is to make sure your player is set to Downmix as "Surround Encoded" (Setup -> Audio -> Downmix). It is probably set to "Stereo". That should get you multi channel audio, although not in the full resolution.

You should also change your Digital Audio Output to PCM from Bitstream since your receiver is not capable of decoding the High Res audio bitstream.

I could try returning the unit at Costco and getting one with analog output terminals but I guess the right way to do should be buying a newest receiver to get the high Resolution audio that I'm trying to get.
Thank you so much for your clear explanation.
post #8084 of 8256 Old 02-21-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Try THIS.

Thanks for the tip!, I did the cleaning and now I don't have any more problems...thanks!
post #8085 of 8256 Old 02-21-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulo View Post

hello,

I have DMP-BD60 player and last week I purchase Star Wars bluray set. I am unable to play movies 1, 4 and 5. The player is making weird clicking noises when I insert those discs and then it just says unable to read the disc. My friend tried the disc on his PS3 and it worked fine. Is there known issue with this player and Star Wars bluray ? I have the latest firmware

Try to do a lens/spindle cleaning as in the link provided by mdavej a few posts back, I had the same problems as you with some of my discs and after the cleaning everything's working fine again...
post #8086 of 8256 Old 04-12-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I'd like to burn some 720p MPEG-2 files to DVD-R without re-encoding, for playback on a DMP-BD605.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

BD60 does not play media files from SD or USB. You have to either make it as regular DVD on a DVD disc or create it as AVCHD directory structure (AVCHD does allow MPEG2 stream in place of AVC stream).

Can anyone confirm that this will work for these players?
post #8087 of 8256 Old 04-16-2012, 02:05 PM

I was just updated to 2.64 on my BD60. I haven't poked around yet. Found the release notes http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...0/bd60_na.html
post #8088 of 8256 Old 04-16-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzzy42 View Post

I was just updated to 2.64 on my BD60. I haven't poked around yet.

Please let us know if this update ends up helping or hurting anything.
post #8089 of 8256 Old 04-16-2012, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I just updated my BD60 to 2.64 and so far so good. No problems.

-----------
Robert
post #8090 of 8256 Old 04-16-2012, 03:46 PM

Updated BD80 to 2.64. The Conversation BD used to take 4+ minutes after pressing play movie now plays within seconds. Never thought it would happen!
post #8091 of 8256 Old 04-16-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaponX Alpha View Post

The latest firmware for this player is more than a year old. And it has been reported before to Panasonic that the Alice in Wonderland (1951) Blu-ray doesn't work in the DMP-BD60, and they didn't release a firmware to correct the problem. So, yes, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a new firmware.

And that is a shame, because my BD60 has been a really good player.

Today I updated my DMP-BD60 to the 2.64 firmware without problems, and now the Alice in Wonderland BD works just fine.
post #8092 of 8256 Old 04-16-2012, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaponX Alpha View Post

Today I updated my DMP-BD60 to the 2.64 firmware without problems, and now the Alice in Wonderland BD works just fine.

Nice to see we are still getting updates ... updates that actually fix things.

post #8093 of 8256 Old 04-23-2012, 03:29 PM

Just a heads up in case you don't have your Panasonic DMP-BD80 hooked to the internet. This is for Blu-ray playability. I did notice a differance in the load time. We'll see if the finicky freeze frame issue I have had in the past with clean discs is gone........

The link: http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...0/bd80_na.html
post #8094 of 8256 Old 04-25-2012, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
just downloaded the firmware to a cd-r and put it into my bd 60 and now the player is inoperable. won't play a disk and won't respond to any remote commands. tried to get panny customer support online and no response after 45 minutes.

any suggestions?

neflixis our nemesis
post #8095 of 8256 Old 04-25-2012, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

just downloaded the firmware to a cd-r and put it into my bd 60 and now the player is inoperable. won't play a disk and won't respond to any remote commands. tried to get panny customer support online and no response after 45 minutes.

any suggestions?

It maybe time to buy a new BR player. Many, many months ago I posted about update FW - it is not innocuous, meaning that there has to be reason to update FW. One time I spoke with Panasonic tech support who said the same thing: if it works, don't fix it.
post #8096 of 8256 Old 04-25-2012, 07:25 PM

if the firmware update does not resolve an issue you are experiencing, the general rule of thumb is do NOT do it.

This has been the case for all firmware, for all devices, for ever (almost).

Having said that, i'm guilty of downloading the latest firmware for my BD-60 online through the player when it's out, because it suggests that i do, iirc.
post #8097 of 8256 Old 04-26-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

any suggestions?

Is anything displayed on the front panel?
post #8098 of 8256 Old 05-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone else having a problem installing the new FW via burning a CD?

I have done it before with no problems, but I have tried 3 times and each time I put in the CD into the player it says the disc is unreadable or unsupported.

I downloaded it, opened it and even unzipped it, and burned the opened and unzipped file ( I tried each to see if there was a difference) using Nero and none of the discs would work. I tried using Imgburn to burn the file onot a CD but it would not recognize the file.
post #8099 of 8256 Old 05-06-2012, 12:30 PM

^^^
If you're still using XP, use the built-in disc burning tool to create the firmware disc. This will leave the disc unfinalized.

This is stated in the pdf guide provided in step 5 of the Panasonic firmware update page.

Otherwise, you'll have to find a disc burning tool or change the settings within your favorite burning program to leave the session unfinalized. As far as I know ImgBurn will always close the session.

I've attached a screenshot of a successful firmware disc created using the built-in XP disc burning tool, using ImgBurn's discovery mode option. I used a CD-RW to create my disc.

I was not successful using ImgBurn to create the disc. I saw E DISC on my player's display.
LL
post #8100 of 8256 Old 05-06-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1966 View Post

Anyone else having a problem installing the new FW via burning a CD?

Never tried it, but if you just want to "get-er-done" I think I would just connect to Internet (even if just temporarily).

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Panasonic Dmp Bd80k Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd60 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Panasonic

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page