Official Panasonic DMP-BD60/80 Owners Thread - Page 271 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8101 of 8255 Old 05-07-2012, 04:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am running Windows 7. I have tried Clone CD, Image Burn, Nero......

I may have to use the internet option, its just more of a hassle to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by em-t-wallitt View Post

^^^
If you're still using XP, use the built-in disc burning tool to create the firmware disc. This will leave the disc unfinalized.

This is stated in the pdf guide provided in step 5 of the Panasonic firmware update page.

Otherwise, you'll have to find a disc burning tool or change the settings within your favorite burning program to leave the session unfinalized. As far as I know ImgBurn will always close the session.

I've attached a screenshot of a successful firmware disc created using the built-in XP disc burning tool, using ImgBurn's discovery mode option. I used a CD-RW to create my disc.

I was not successful using ImgBurn to create the disc. I saw E DISC on my player's display.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8102 of 8255 Old 05-07-2012, 12:26 PM

Liked: 15
Help please.....

Does anyone know how to set the dmp bd60 to remember the position of a movie if the stop button is pressed? It's driving me nuts. Especially trying to set up the player. This thing takes soooo long to load and if I hit a wrong button that stops the movie not only do I have the long wait time to get it going again, but I have to find my place as well.
I wish there was a warning that if you continue when pressing a certain setup button during a movie that it will stop play. So frustrating.

Thanks.
post #8103 of 8255 Old 05-07-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodnerb View Post

Help please.....

Does anyone know how to set the dmp bd60 to remember the position of a movie if the stop button is pressed? It's driving me nuts. Especially trying to set up the player. This thing takes soooo long to load and if I hit a wrong button that stops the movie not only do I have the long wait time to get it going again, but I have to find my place as well.
I wish there was a warning that if you continue when pressing a certain setup button during a movie that it will stop play. So frustrating.

Thanks.

The only automatic default is for standard dvds. For blu-ray, it is up to the actual disc and its encoding, some remember and some don't remember where you paused or hit stop and there is no way to tell in advance if the recall feature will work.
post #8104 of 8255 Old 05-07-2012, 01:26 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

The only automatic default is for standard dvds. For blu-ray, it is up to the actual disc and its encoding, some remember and some don't remember where you paused or hit stop and there is no way to tell in advance if the recall feature will work.

Bummer. But thanks! Now I can stop looking. lol
post #8105 of 8255 Old 05-21-2012, 12:12 PM

Liked: 10
My BD65 has not played BR discs in quite some time. Updated firmware and did the spindle clean to no avail. Called Panny tech support who tells me to send it, the power cord, the remote, and a note that the BR's won't read to their service center in Mc Allen Tx.

Anyone here actually sent their unit back for service? Was it worth it to repair? What kind of turnaround time? Or should I just bite the bullet and get another unit? (and keep it for use as a DVD player in the spare bedroom?)

I like everything about the unit except for the fact that it does not do the one thing that I bought it for...

If I buy one I need a rock solid player, optical out, with Netflix and Pandora - any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
post #8106 of 8255 Old 05-21-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputman View Post

My BD65 has not played BR discs in quite some time. Updated firmware and did the spindle clean to no avail. Called Panny tech support who tells me to send it, the power cord, the remote, and a note that the BR's won't read to their service center in Mc Allen Tx.

Anyone here actually sent their unit back for service? Was it worth it to repair? What kind of turnaround time? Or should I just bite the bullet and get another unit? (and keep it for use as a DVD player in the spare bedroom?)

I like everything about the unit except for the fact that it does not do the one thing that I bought it for...

If I buy one I need a rock solid player, optical out, with Netflix and Pandora - any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Not a good idea. Check out THIS and search the DVD Recorder forum for McAllen experiences and alternatives. I would just get a new player. If you want another panasonic, check out the 220. It meets all your requirements. But I prefer the similarly priced and much more full featured sony BDP-S590.
post #8107 of 8255 Old 05-21-2012, 01:03 PM

Since the wife is extremely disappointed that there is no possibility for a good outcome from Panny it looks like the 590 or 390 is our next best bet. The LG BD570 has never let us down but it appears that their build quality is on the decline.

Thanks for the sound advice.
post #8108 of 8255 Old 05-21-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputman View Post

Since the wife is extremely disappointed that there is no possibility for a good outcome from Panny it looks like the 590 or 390 is our next best bet. The LG BD570 has never let us down but it appears that their build quality is on the decline.

Thanks for the sound advice.

Sure thing. But nix the 390. It has no optical, only coax and is somewhat overpriced at the moment. I picked up a couple of 390s myself a few weeks ago for $99, but they've gone back up.
post #8109 of 8255 Old 05-22-2012, 10:49 AM

How does the Sammy BD-D5500 compare to the BDP-S580? Both have good reviews at Vann's.
post #8110 of 8255 Old 05-22-2012, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, don't know. Haven't looked at Samsung players in years. But from what little I've read, they seem to have a bad rep for reliability lately. Why the 580? It's obsolete and more expensive than the 590.
post #8111 of 8255 Old 05-22-2012, 01:11 PM

It was a mistype, but the 580 is about $20 less than the 590 on amazon.
Is there a big difference between them?
post #8112 of 8255 Old 05-22-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

The 590 has a much better netflix app, lower power consumption, 2D-3D conversion, netflix button on remote, opera web browser, probably a few other things I missed. If you watch the prices, the 590 does drop to $120 now and then. I got rid of all my other players and replaced them with x90's primarily for the new netflix app.

If you don't care about any of that stuff and want to save a few bucks, go for the 580. But $120 is not a good price for an obsolete player. Lightly used ones are going for $70-$90 on ebay. But if I were buying an obsolete player, I'd just get an Insignia for around $40. Even last year's panny 110 is going for less than $50 used.
post #8113 of 8255 Old 05-23-2012, 01:13 PM

Thanks for the explanation. I will keep an eye on the 590 pricing - especially with Fathers Day coming up. I think it is worth it.
post #8114 of 8255 Old 05-27-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1966 View Post

I am running Windows 7. I have tried Clone CD, Image Burn, Nero......

I may have to use the internet option, its just more of a hassle to do that.

Sorry for the late reply. Just wondering if you were able to update the player? If you haven't, there is a tutorial to use the built-in Windows 7 CD burning tool to create the firmware disc. You'll have treat the CD like a USB flash drive as explained here:

http://www.yoingco.com/how_to_manual..._windows_7.htm

As long as you don't close the session, you should be able to use the CD in your player. Strangely enough, ImgBurn shows the session as being complete (closed?). I borrowed a friend's Windows 7 pc to test this out and it appears to work. Because the firmware on my CD-RW disc matches that in my player, the player displays "UNSUPPORT" as mentioned on Panasonic's website.
LL
post #8115 of 8255 Old 05-28-2012, 12:52 AM

Updating that DMP-BD60 player is very painful. First of all, I cannot use an USB stick, 2nd I have to find a CD-R because CD-RWs do not work, 3rd the instructions panasonic posts are for Windows XP (I use Windows 7) and 4th mine is Region Free for all Blu-Ray regions and somehow that update messed up the Network Checking for new firmware and updating over the net feature. The player refuses to find new firmware on the network (always has).

If I use the methods mentioned here and create the CD-R as an USB disk with the Windows 7 burn-to-disk feature, I get "Disk Unsupported" (even after finalizing that disk) and if I just burn that CD-R with the Windows Data drive feature, I get the error "E Disk" and the disk ejects.

All the methods I tried, no matter if CD-R, CR-RW, Windows 7 Built-in recording features or ImgBurn ended in either "disk unsupported" or "E Disk". Wow, I just want to update that firmware on a player and not land on Mars.

What a nightmare, I already destroyed 5 CD-Rs and the firmware is still not updated.

Solution

Then I found the needed information on how ot resolve these issues by using InfraRecorder. Downloaded and installed that 64bit version for Windows 7, created that data disk with just the panasonic firmware file, loaded that disk and voilÃ* success.

Here is the link to the update resolved website where you will also find that InfraRecorder download link: http://p0wnz.com/panasonic-dmp-bd30-update-solved/

Forget all the Panasonic instructions. Use InfraRecorder and that CD-R disk is ready for that player update.

And if Panasonic would have given us an iso file, none of us would have suffered, wasted time, created coasters and everything would be fine. Besides, even the latest Panasonic Blu-ray player firmware instructions only describe how to create a firmware update CD with Windows XP, bummer.
post #8116 of 8255 Old 06-20-2012, 05:29 PM

Does anyone know how to roll back the firmware on a Panasonic BD-605? I allowed my machines to update then my DVI projector would no longer work with an HDMI to DVI cable. Help!
post #8117 of 8255 Old 06-22-2012, 06:31 PM

I have a problem.....I just bought a "new" Panny BD80 this past week cause my old panny blu ray player failed and I need analog outputs for my outlaw surround processor. When setting the player up, I went into setup and toggled on 7.1 output. I pressed OK and OK again went into the speaker calibration menu. When I turned on the test mode, I tried to calibrate each speaker. No matter what I did, I could not change the volume of each individual speaker. If the center channel is on 0 db and I turn it down to -12 db, it still sounds exactly the same (same db's on my sound meter). Can anyone tell me why this is happening???? Did I receive a broken unit??? Thank you in advance.
post #8118 of 8255 Old 06-23-2012, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I remember reading that speaker calibration does not immediately play sounds at the adjusted level. I think you have to save and exit setup, and maybe even repower the unit, before the changes take effect. Have you tried that?
post #8119 of 8255 Old 06-23-2012, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Yes. You must leave the setup for changes to take affect.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #8120 of 8255 Old 06-24-2012, 02:11 PM

what do you do if a channel is too low (sound output) and the others can not be lowered enough? I am using an Aragon 8008X3 amp to power the front 3 channels and Marantz MA-500 monoblocks to power the rears. also, I can not hear the sub output in the test channels ( I did try changing the front speakers to small) Thanks
post #8121 of 8255 Old 06-25-2012, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWolf View Post

what do you do if a channel is too low (sound output) and the others can not be lowered enough? I am using an Aragon 8008X3 amp to power the front 3 channels and Marantz MA-500 monoblocks to power the rears. also, I can not hear the sub output in the test channels ( I did try changing the front speakers to small) Thanks

If you can, change the individual speaker levels through your AVR.
post #8122 of 8255 Old 07-05-2012, 08:34 AM

Hi all! Thanks to everyone for all the good info. However, after reading most of this thread I still have an apparently unsolvable problem.

I have the BD60 with what I assume is the latest firmware recently upgrade via a direct Ethernet connection. I say "assume" because there appears to be no way to see the version anymore. There is no version display anywhere to be found. What gives? The Panasonic US website shows a downloadable version of 2.5. Is it safe to assume that is what automatically installed on my unit?

The basic problem: inability to play blu-rays (noread error). This forum suggests that my blue diode is out - however, it WILL play the special features BD from UP! Go figure, right? The special features disc is labeled as a BD and seems to use BD-Live.

Following the forum again, I tried to format the SD card (4 gb). There are no menu items for managing SD cards. Gone missing. Where did it go? Removing the SD didn't seem to make any difference when trying to play BD's. The user manual clearly states NOT to format the SD on a PC, however, without the choice of doing so in the unit what do I do now?

So, what do I do now? Since it will play at least one BD I don't think the laser is out. Any ideas?

Thanks everyone!
post #8123 of 8255 Old 07-05-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jghill42 View Post

Hi all! Thanks to everyone for all the good info. However, after reading most of this thread I still have an apparently unsolvable problem.
I have the BD60 with what I assume is the latest firmware recently upgrade via a direct Ethernet connection. I say "assume" because there appears to be no way to see the version anymore. There is no version display anywhere to be found.
Thanks everyone!
To check your version number, go to SETUP->DISPLAY, then press the STATUS button. Your version number appears in the lower right of the pop up box.
post #8124 of 8255 Old 07-05-2012, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jghill42 View Post

Following the forum again, I tried to format the SD card (4 gb). There aren no menu items for managing SD cards. Gone missing. Where did it go? Removing the SD didn't seem to make any difference when trying to play BD's. The user manual clearly states NOT to format the SD on a PC, however, without the choice of doing so in the unit what do I do now?
So, what do I do now? Since it will play at least one BD I don't think the laser is out. Any ideas?
Thanks everyone!
To format the SD Card press FUNCTIONS and select SD Card..

Press functions again and select OTHER FUNCTIONS under the SDJPEG.
Select Card Management and then select either format or erase.

BTW, I wouldn't trust an extra feature disc. If you can't get the main features disc to play I do believe your Blue laser is out.
post #8125 of 8255 Old 07-05-2012, 11:30 AM

Thank you for the tip. Somehow I managed to miss the hold-the-status-button thing. Turns out my BD60 has version 2.64

Tried calling Panasonic but all they could offer was to have me return the player. Based on the reported experiences of other forum members returning the unit isn't worth the time and expense. They did tell me how to do a "hard reset" that I haven't seen mentioned here before. Turn off unit and hold pwr-pause-open for 10 seconds. Didn't help.
post #8126 of 8255 Old 07-05-2012, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

That's a shame. With new (non 3D) players going for less than a hundred dollars you can see where it doesn't pay to repair the 60. I moved on from the 60 but still have my 70V for the occasional VHS tape.
post #8127 of 8255 Old 08-12-2012, 05:19 AM
c3k

Need a bit of help/advice.

I have a Panasonic DMP BD60K which worked fine until a few days ago. No matter what bluray disk I insert, the player shows "No Disk".

Has anyone else encountered this problem? If so, what was the fix?

I've tried to check/update firmware, but going online through the unit's ethernet connection tells me that v2.4 is the latest and is installed. (Going online to Panasonic's website showed v2.5 as the latest. A post here shows v2.64 is the latest.) I don't think the firmware is the issue. V2.4 has been installed and running for about 4 months, give or take.

What makes the player "see" a disk? Is it the laser, or is there a different piece of hardware inside the physical drive which physically or optically detects a disk?

I have no problems digging into the player. I just want to know what I should look for, clean, or fix, after I open everything up.

Thanks,
Ken
post #8128 of 8255 Old 08-12-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Throw in a DVD and CD and see if it will play them. If it does your laser pickup for Blu-rays is shot or dirty. If neither play, unplug the unit for ten to twenty minutes and try again.
post #8129 of 8255 Old 08-23-2012, 04:15 PM

I have a 60 and it also shows only YouTube or Amazon available to play.
This is a wonderful instructional set-up PDF: http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vSupportHowToGuideDetail?storeId=15001&idval=UCM_STG_CNT_035460&catname=Blu-ray+Disc%26%238482%3B+Players&title=Blu-Ray+Disc%26trade%3B+Players+-+How+to+Register+with+Netflix
However, Netflix is not shown available to play. frown.gif
post #8130 of 8255 Old 08-23-2012, 04:17 PM

I used the kids' craft "pipe cleaner" and stuck it in there gently but randomly. You'll be surprised what gunk comes out on it!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Panasonic Dmp Bd80k Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd60 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Panasonic

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page