Official Panasonic DMP-BD60/80 Owners Thread - Page 277 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #8281 of 8288 Old 09-29-2015, 04:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post
This is lame. So much for updatable apps that extend the functionality of your Home-Theater components. At any time, they can also reduce existing functionality.

I don't use it much, but it was a nice way to view YouTube videos on the HT. I bet they will pull it from my 850u-plasma as well.

Are we sure someone wasn't just too lazy to re-write the app or pay for it to be done?

850u user . Amazon killed support for that set a few months ago .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8282 of 8288 Old 09-29-2015, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReD-BaRoN View Post
850u user . Amazon killed support for that set a few months ago .

Thanks for that (bad) news. This is exactly what I mean.

Between the BD-60 and pz850u it would be nice if at least one played either AmazonVideo and YouTube once the smoke clears. But since they are similar age, I doubt it.

So it's not Panasonic responsible for this? ... it's Amazon and Google/YT ?

Living Room Home-Theater:
Epson 8350 1080p Projector (96") / Panasonic TH-46pz850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 7.2 HDMI Audio/Video Amplifier/Receiver (630 watts)
Panasonic DMP-BD60 Blu-Ray Disc Player / Cisco 8742hdc DVR (TimeWarner)
Harmony 670 Remote / HTPC (Kodi/Win7-64) Media Server PC / Synology 12tb Raid-5 NAS
Polk Audio Monitor Series II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / PSW505 12-Inch Sub
post #8283 of 8288 Old 09-29-2015, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Thanks for that (bad) news. This is exactly what I mean.

Between the BD-60 and pz850u it would be nice if at least one played either AmazonVideo and YouTube once the smoke clears. But since they are similar age, I doubt it.

So it's not Panasonic responsible for this? ... it's Amazon and Google/YT ?
It was Amazon's call. They offered $10 off Firestick to compensate, making it's $29. I picked one up to check it out. They sent me an email directly on this (presumably since I had my TV linked to my Amazon account).
post #8284 of 8288 Old 11-22-2015, 01:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 56
BD-60 Firmware v2.67

Well, I did it.

As expected, YouTube is gone.
But Amazon still works and it looks like it might be 5.1 channel DolbyDigital (finally) now. At least that's what the tattle-tale lights on the Onkyo say.

On my Panny Plasma 850 (G11-2008) ... both YouTube and Amazon are gone.

So weird about YouTube ... you can watch that on just about anything now-days. Anyway ... no Amazon on Kodi or AppleTV-4, so I'm still scraping by.

Living Room Home-Theater:
Epson 8350 1080p Projector (96") / Panasonic TH-46pz850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 7.2 HDMI Audio/Video Amplifier/Receiver (630 watts)
Panasonic DMP-BD60 Blu-Ray Disc Player / Cisco 8742hdc DVR (TimeWarner)
Harmony 670 Remote / HTPC (Kodi/Win7-64) Media Server PC / Synology 12tb Raid-5 NAS
Polk Audio Monitor Series II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / PSW505 12-Inch Sub
post #8285 of 8288 Old 12-28-2015, 03:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Well, I did it.

As expected, YouTube is gone.
But Amazon still works and it looks like it might be 5.1 channel DolbyDigital (finally) now. At least that's what the tattle-tale lights on the Onkyo say.

On my Panny Plasma 850 (G11-2008) ... both YouTube and Amazon are gone.

So weird about YouTube ... you can watch that on just about anything now-days. Anyway ... no Amazon on Kodi or AppleTV-4, so I'm still scraping by.
I've been trying to update my firmware for the BD60 to no avail. I tried using IMGBurn and cdburnerxp with the ISO6990 format and a few hours later along with 15 coasters later I haven't gone anywhere.

How were you able to update the firmware? I believe in the past I could do it through the ethernet cable but I can't do that anymore for whatever reason.

Anyone with a CD image that would be willing to take a few bucks to send this poor soul a copy of the firmware? I contacted Panasonic and they told me they no longer mail copies to customers. They won't take my money either. It's this or a new player but it seems like such a waste to get rid of a player that I've been happy with.
post #8286 of 8288 Old 12-28-2015, 03:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoytheMovie View Post
I've been trying to update my firmware for the BD60 to no avail. I tried using IMGBurn and cdburnerxp with the ISO6990 format and a few hours later along with 15 coasters later I haven't gone anywhere.

How were you able to update the firmware? I believe in the past I could do it through the ethernet cable but I can't do that anymore for whatever reason.

Anyone with a CD image that would be willing to take a few bucks to send this poor soul a copy of the firmware? I contacted Panasonic and they told me they no longer mail copies to customers. They won't take my money either. It's this or a new player but it seems like such a waste to get rid of a player that I've been happy with.
Wow nevermind. After struggling for hours I finally got the player to update through the ethernet connection as before.

Reading this thread gave me the idea to go to viera cast which I never do because I use the player as a simple blu ray player.

Going to Viera Cast let me update the firmware.

Before I would go to setup, other, firmware. This screen would tell me there was an update available but it would direct me to the panasonic.net/support page. It wouldn't give me the option to download over the net to update.

Why would they design the player this way? Going to firmware in the setup menu should allow one to update the firmware instead of being directed to a Panasonic support page. Instead I had to hit the Viera Cast button to get things rolling.

I suppose they assume anyone wanting to update the firmware would be using the viera cast feature?

Oh well, I lost a few hours of my life. Maybe I should have just purchased a new player to save myself all of the headache.

Lesson learned, thanks Panasonic.
post #8287 of 8288 Old 12-30-2015, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 54
^
Should I update the firmware if everything is working OK? What is on it, or what does it do to improve the player?

Thanks in advance for any information.
post #8288 of 8288 Old 12-30-2015, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrecording View Post
^
Should I update the firmware if everything is working OK? What is on it, or what does it do to improve the player?

Thanks in advance for any information.
Mr. ClassicR,
My take is leave well enough alone, I have seen too many times new firmware has unexpected/unintended issues beyond what it is designed to solve.

I have not updated my unit's firmware for several years and it just keeps humming along. The only disk it has not played is Disney's Ratatouille, which worked a couple times and then never loaded again (also not on a Samsung unit).

Not a fan of being the industry's uncompensated beta tester.

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Cheers,
XEagleDriver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Panasonic , Panasonic Dmp Bd60 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Panasonic Dmp Bd80k Blu Ray Player