post #811 of 8256 Old 04-27-2009, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post

hmmmm...does that slow start-up time? has anyone compared start-up times with it on and off?

It seems that it checks the firmware updates in the background. My first update (1.5) seems to popup a few minutes after I reboot the player after initial setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 8256 Old 04-27-2009, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower79 View Post

I'm seriously considering going from my 60GB PS3 to a BD80 for dvd and bluray playback, mainly because I find the PS3's fan noise during quieter sections of movies extremely annoying.

I have a couple of questions regarding the Panny BD80 I hope some of you can answer:

1. Is the BD80 relatively quiet during operation, is there any spinning noise, hissing or hum?

2. How does BD80's PQ on bluray playback and dvd upscaling compare to the PS3?

3. The reviews I've read on the BD80 mentions very good AQ, how does this compare to the PS3 (which I've heard is merely average in terms of AQ from professional comparisons)?

I have a BD60 and a PS3, so will venture some responses based on HDMI audio out and general use, as I imagine the BD60 and BD80 to be quite similar, unless using analog audio out. I am using a Pio VSX-9120 connected to a 5020 Kuro.

1. BD60 has noticable tray noise and some spin-up sounds when first loading the disc, and similar when ejecting. There is some hum while it is playing, but very little, much less than my SA8300PVR, and dramatically less than the PS3 at its best. I do not notice the hum when a soundtrack is playing, even at the quietest parts.

2. With all BD60 settings at default and compared to the PS3, the picture quality on BDs is very similar. However the BD60 provides the ability to fine tune an image...very handy with the Kuro, as the recommended settings for best blacks (as listed in user forum) tend to make me think I'm losing a touch of detail. I find by turning the gamma up a few notches on the BD60, I get an ideal picture. PS3 has no such options. (anybody else has video setting recommendations? don't see many on this thread or the 35/55)

I find SD images with 24p turned on to be much better on the BD60...more accurate colours, better upscaling...but I haven't tested much yet. Raiders of the Lost Ark looks great. Without 24p turned on, PS3 seems better in my limited testing. Other opinions from those who have tested more SD?

3. Comparing audio via HDMI, and not using profess. tools. I find the absence of the PS3 fan noise creates a stunning difference. Seems like not only the volume but the frequency of the PS3 fan noise may have been masking many subtle sounds. I am picking up environmental effects that I never heard before (birds chirping, leather fabric crinkling, footsteps on different surfaces). As well, I had to use the dialogue enhancer tools to get a reasonable volume with the PS3 which modifies the sound track away from original intent and balance. Now, without that setting, everything sounds more detailed and balanced. Unless you had your audio equipment in a distant cabinet, you will notice a big difference.

still keeping the PS3...Tiger Woods golf is addictive...
post #813 of 8256 Old 04-27-2009, 04:40 PM

What is the difference between the two? Costco sells the BD-605 but everywhere else I see the BD-60 as the model number? Are they identicle?
post #814 of 8256 Old 04-27-2009, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have encounter a minor problem with the panasonic 60. it has problems playing the first alien movie from the 9 disc set. this was also a problem with the panasonic 30. they did fix it on the 30. I am hoping others with the boxset can check and also report it to panasonic. both the theatre and directors cut are effected. pauses every 5 seconds or so. no problem with the star wars episode 4 movie. strolling down after the titles go by.

thanks.
Jacob
post #815 of 8256 Old 04-27-2009, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenard View Post

What is the difference between the two? Costco sells the BD-605 but everywhere else I see the BD-60 as the model number? Are they identicle?

They are the samething other than 605 comes with a HDMI cable. Do a search. This has been answered million times.
post #816 of 8256 Old 04-27-2009, 08:28 PM

Did a search but no luck. Should the black level control be on "darker" or "lighter"?

Scott
post #817 of 8256 Old 04-27-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post

Did a search but no luck. Should the black level control be on "darker" or "lighter"?

Scott

That depends on if your outputing your video via the composite or component terminal. The answer is in the owner's manual on page 32.

Quote:

Black Level Control

Select lighter or darker for adjusting the black level control to the
desired setting for picture enhancement.
  • Lighter:When video is output from VIDEO OUT terminal.
  • Darker: When video is output from COMPONENT VIDEO OUT
    terminal.

"If you know everything, you must be misinformed"
^ old Japanese proverb ^
post #818 of 8256 Old 04-28-2009, 12:41 PM

Not sure whether to get BD60 or BD80. I currently have an older 5.1 Yamaha receiver which does not have hdmi. I will upgrading to an Onkyo but not sure when.

Remodeling and will be prewiring basement for 7.1 speakers. Will both players do 7.1? It sounds like the BD80 is better for older receivers, but I really don't understand why.

Am I better off spending the extra 100 for the BD80?

Thanks,

Mark
post #819 of 8256 Old 04-28-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markek View Post

Not sure whether to get BD60 or BD80. I currently have an older 5.1 Yamaha receiver which does not have hdmi. I will upgrading to an Onkyo but not sure when.

Remodeling and will be prewiring basement for 7.1 speakers. Will both players do 7.1? It sounds like the BD80 is better for older receivers, but I really don't understand why.

Am I better off spending the extra 100 for the BD80?

Thanks,

Mark

I just went for the bd80 for these 2 reasons.

1.bd80 has divx (bd60 doesnt).

2. bd80 has 5 channel audio out (like 5 rca connectors)As well as optical and coaxial digital.. I have heard the difference between the true hd and just standard dolby digital. There is a noticeable difference (difference is comparable to dolby digital vs dts "5.1")Without this option the older receivers cant use true hd/dts hd audio.

The bd 80 decodes the audio, allowing your receivers to just amplify the audio that is sent to it.

I just ordered my bd80 so i cant connect it untill 4/30/09.Amazon has a good price on the bd80.

As far as 7.1 i dont know.
post #820 of 8256 Old 04-28-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro5797 View Post

I just went for the bd80 for these 2 reasons.

1.bd80 has divx (bd60 doesnt).

2. bd80 has 5 channel audio out (like 5 rca connectors)As well as optical and coaxial digital.. I have heard the difference between the true hd and just standard dolby digital. There is a noticeable difference (difference is comparable to dolby digital vs dts "5.1")Without this option the older receivers cant use true hd/dts hd audio.

The bd 80 decodes the audio, allowing your receivers to just amplify the audio that is sent to it.

I just ordered my bd80 so i cant connect it untill 4/30/09.Amazon has a good price on the bd80.

As far as 7.1 i dont know.

Micro,

Does the BD60 not do true HD? I'm not real concerned about the digital output as long as it has the optical. I don't think I care to much about the Divx, I don't think I'd use it.

What does that mean "decodes the audio"?
post #821 of 8256 Old 04-28-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:

Micro,

Does the BD60 not do true HD? I'm not real concerned about the digital output as long as it has the optical. I don't think I care to much about the Divx, I don't think I'd use it.

Yes the 60 decodes TrueHD/DTS-MA will be over HDMI of course.
post #822 of 8256 Old 04-28-2009, 01:53 PM

The BD80 has 7.1 analog outs. Both the 60 and 80 does 7.1 over HDMI. Both models can also decode and bitstream TrueHD and DTS-HD.

"If you know everything, you must be misinformed"
^ old Japanese proverb ^
post #823 of 8256 Old 04-28-2009, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:

Micro,

Does the BD60 not do true HD? I'm not real concerned about the digital output as long as it has the optical.

Yes, the BD60 doe True HD. But, an optical connection won't get you TrueHD or dts-MA or 5.1/7.1 PCM. You need to use HDMI for the high res audio formats.

Quote:

It means the player does the decoding of the compressed lossless audio (TrueHD and dts-MA). It can send the decoded PCM out over HDMI. Or, in the case of the BD80, it can do the digital-analog conversion and send all six or eight channels out over individual audio cables, one for each channel.
post #824 of 8256 Old 04-28-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Yes, the BD60 doe True HD. But, an optical connection won't get you TrueHD or dts-MA or 5.1/7.1 PCM. You need to use HDMI for the high res audio formats.

My projector has hdmi, but it sounds like I would also need to go hdmi from bluray to receiver (I need to upgrade my receiver).

It means the player does the decoding of the compressed lossless audio (TrueHD and dts-MA). It can send the decoded PCM out over HDMI. Or, in the case of the BD80, it can do the digital-analog conversion and send all six or eight channels out over individual audio cables, one for each channel.

Does this matter enough to spend an additional 100 dollars for the BD80?
post #825 of 8256 Old 04-28-2009, 06:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Get the BD80 only if your AVR doesn't connect via HDMI.
post #826 of 8256 Old 04-28-2009, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you asking whether high res audio is worth $100? Not an easy question to answer. I think DD 5.1 and DTS core sound great on BD. (They are less compressed than the versions used on DVD.) I often don't hear any further improvement from lossless. But, I went ahead and got a BD55 instead of a BD35 in order to get lossless over analog. I do it again in a minute.
post #827 of 8256 Old 04-28-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivewider View Post

However the BD60 provides the ability to fine tune an image...very handy with the Kuro, as the recommended settings for best blacks (as listed in user forum) tend to make me think I'm losing a touch of detail. I find by turning the gamma up a few notches on the BD60, I get an ideal picture. PS3 has no such options. (anybody else has video setting recommendations? don't see many on this thread or the 35/55)

I found the same with a BD35 on a PRO-111FD. My solution was to bump the brightness (black level) setting up a notch on the Kuro, rather than change any settings on the player. I used the AVSHD disk to verify the correct setting.
post #828 of 8256 Old 04-28-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

Get the BD80 only if your AVR doesn't connect via HDMI.

My current Yamaha Receiver does not have HDMI. I do plan on upgrading but not sure when this will happen. It's one of those "six of one, half dozen of the other". I could upgrade sooner if I saved 100 on the BD60, or get the BD80 and put off upgrading a little longer.

I think I like the idea of going with the BD80, not crazy about the extra money for though.
post #829 of 8256 Old 04-28-2009, 08:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My current Yamaha Receiver does not have HDMI. I do plan on upgrading but not sure when this will happen. It's one of those "six of one, half dozen of the other". I could upgrade sooner if I saved 100 on the BD60, or get the BD80 and put off upgrading a little longer.

I think I like the idea of going with the BD80, not crazy about the extra money for though.

The analog audio connections on the BD80 are ancient history. Bit the bullet, get a new HDMI AVR, and the BD60. In the long run you will be glad you went this route.
post #830 of 8256 Old 04-28-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

The analog audio connections on the BD80 are ancient history. Bit the bullet, get a new HDMI AVR, and the BD60. In the long run you will be glad you went this route.

Millerwill,

Thanks for the advice, I think that makes the most sense since I was going to upgrade anyway. I'll take the savings and apply it to the Onkyo receiver I want.
post #831 of 8256 Old 04-28-2009, 08:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Millerwill,

Thanks for the advice, I think that makes the most sense since I was going to upgrade anyway. I'll take the savings and apply it to the Onkyo receiver I want.

I got an Onkyo AVR last year (the 805), and after a FW upgrade it's been a great investment. Good luck!
post #832 of 8256 Old 04-28-2009, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think that makes the most sense since I was going to upgrade anyway. I'll take the savings and apply it to the Onkyo receiver I want.

If you are planning to get a new AVR anyway, then it makes sense to get a cheaper player and apply the savings to the receiver. But, if you are otherwise happy with your receiver, multichannel analog and/or optical are perfectly fine ways to go. For me, $50-100 extra on a player beat spending a grand or more to replace my Denon AVR.
post #833 of 8256 Old 04-28-2009, 10:31 PM

I hate to even post this here. I am hoping someone can direct me to the proper place to post this question.

I am a noob when it comes to what formats can be played/read by the divx set up.

Can i use most any compressed avi file? How about mkv,DvDrip xvid or windows movie??
Do i have to run the video file through divx encoding to then to a dvd/usb to get the player to read the file?(player says it will read off both usb and dvd for divx).

I want to be all set up and ready for when i do get the player(4/30) so that i dont have to figure this out later. Thanks your help is greatly appreciated.
post #834 of 8256 Old 04-29-2009, 03:07 AM

After reading most of the 28 pages here, I decided to jump on, went to BB and replaced(my broken PS3)/upgraded(Sony BDP-S300 b4 and after PS3) to a BD60!!!

The first thing I did was upgrade FW... And after 2 nights 3 BR and 1 SD DVD, I am very happy with the player. I have not come across any issues as of yet (freezes, audio pops...etc).

To those complaining about loading times... Try going through what I had. You'll appreciate the BD60!

And to those still deciding which model to get 60 or 80... My biggest reason, I saved $100+ on the BD60 and used the savings to get me a new AVR (Sony to a Pio Elite) and according to tracking, it should be here tomorrow!!!

Lastly to those that have way more knowledge then I do when it comes to HT, I appreciate all that is said!

chris
post #835 of 8256 Old 04-29-2009, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

If you have to ask this question, DIVX is not important for you. DIVX is for ppl that aleady downloaded converted tons of movies in DIVX format. Not sure if BD80's DIVX capability supports HD DIVX or not (majority of the players don't support HD DIVX). But I suspect DIVX won't have much future in the living room. For home movies, AVCHD (which BD60 already support) is the way to go. For HD movie download, my friends already started doing mkv conversion to AVCHD.

As for 7.1 analog, it depends on your AVR. If you currently have a decent AVR that does not have HDMI input for audio or does not decode TrueHD or DTS-HD MA, but do have 7.1 analog input, BD80 will allow you to enjoy HD audio wihout upgrade your AVR. Otherwise, a new AVR paired with BD60 is the best way to go.

I'm a bit dissapointed I just ordered a 60 and Divx was on it's list of features. Now to find out the 80 only has it. I'm not too bummed I have a WDTV and can play Divx on that, just dissapointed it would be advertised as a feature and it isn't there
post #836 of 8256 Old 04-29-2009, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post

just dissapointed it would be advertised as a feature and it isn't there

Advertised by who? Panasonic?
post #837 of 8256 Old 04-29-2009, 07:21 AM

I believe that I am going to get a 60. I have a PS3, but I would like the better up conversion on DVD's. I also would like to be able to use my Harmony. My wife doesn't do well with multiple remotes. She has a hard enough time using the harmony. Not talking price, but Costco has an upcoming coupon for an Panasonic blu-ray player. $50.00 dollars off, starting May 11 through May 30th I believe.

Hope this info is useful.

Life's Short, Play Hard
post #838 of 8256 Old 04-29-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Advertised by who? Panasonic?

When i went into the main av store in my town to look at getting either the panny(60 origionaly) or the samsung bd player the salesmen printed me off the info about both players. The panny 60 said that it had divx on the printed out paper work. The salesmen said that it had divx.(they had only had the 60 for about 1 week though)

Since so many of the pannys use the same user manual it seemed to indicate that the 60 had divx.. It want untill i did a lot of research and looked at pictures that i found out for sure that it didnt. The av store didnt carry the 80, just the 60. So i compared pics from both units and the 60 didnt have divx on top of it, while the 80 did.

So i can see how it is easy to buy the 60 expecting divx.
post #839 of 8256 Old 04-29-2009, 11:52 AM

Scarpad, someone just got how to make the AVCHD working on the SD card, but not on the DVD-R. As you said that your friend is working on this. Could you let us all know how your friend get it work on the MKV to AVCHD to DVD-R. I had tried many time and none of them is working. It is either unsupport, or wrong format. I had only luck that BD-60 player said "PLAY" but the screen is blank or no video (by using Nero9). Thanks you
post #840 of 8256 Old 04-30-2009, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I hooked up a wireless ethernet bridge Linksys model WET610N to my bd-60 but don't seem to be able to connect. When I run test connection of IP adress/dns setting, I receive pass message. When I run test of proxy server it says passed.

I still get a message of can't connect to Viera that cannot connect, check connection/settings and try again.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Barry
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Panasonic Dmp Bd80k Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd60 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Panasonic

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page