Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 8256 Old 03-24-2009, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by titustroy View Post

anyone know of any places online to buy the bd60?...anyone know if best buy stores in manhattan have these in stock?

I actually almost bought a bd35k from ebay yesterday but was outbid at the last minute...now i'm glad i didn't win it as the bd60 seems like an improved version...for me pq is way more important then load up times...i don't mind waiting for a disc to load as long as the picture is flawless

j&r
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 8256 Old 03-24-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

anyone know of any places online to buy the BD60?...anyone know if Best Buy stores in Manhattan have these in stock?

I actually almost bought a BD35K from Ebay yesterday but was outbid at the last minute...now I'm glad I didn't win it as the BD60 seems like an improved version...for me PQ is way more important then load up times...I don't mind waiting for a disc to load as long as the picture is flawless

You probably have to go to BB and check. I picked one up today -haven't taken it out the box yet. They had several, but no shelf tags for them yet. They were pushed way to the back of the shelves, so if you didn't stoop to see, I would not have known they were there. The BD-60was 299.99, but I had a 20.00 in RWZ coupons.
post #63 of 8256 Old 03-24-2009, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I was at CES in Jan and I was told that the BD60 is using the same processor as the BD 35. The big change is the ability to receive streaming Video from Amazon.
post #64 of 8256 Old 03-25-2009, 12:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Any sightings yet of the DMP-BD 70V?
post #65 of 8256 Old 03-25-2009, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

I don't see how you could make the claim that one company couldn't match or exceed the processing of another. Oppo is using the acclaimed video processing that has been in development for years by ABT under the DVDO banner. This is processing that costs considerably more than the Oppo player on its own. So yes, Oppo could match or exceed what Panasonic has done with their proprietary solution.

Everything that HiFiFun has posted here comes off like marketing rhetoric including Panasonic's stock photos on de-interlacing that really mean nothing at all since you don't know the source or setup for the snapshots. One could be a SD file while the other is HD and you wouldn't even know it.

In other words, I would take most of these comments with a grain of salt people, especially if you're going to compare it to a player that hasn't even been released yet but somehow couldn't possibly be better than this one. Panasonic has made some outstanding Blu-ray players, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement.

Kris,

Thanks for chiming in on the Oppo comparison and adding some sanity to the discussion. I really wanted to dig in on some of the comments from the 1st post, but I restrained myself. I'm still puzzled why individuals continue to make bold statements, comments and comparisons on equipment that has not been officially released or equipment that they do not own or have access to.

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #66 of 8256 Old 03-25-2009, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseCom View Post

Hi Kris: Have you been able to look at a BD60/80 to confirm that the video processing is the same as the BD35/55?

I have a 60 here but haven't started in on my tests.

In general, I am MORE than happy to move on from DVD and I haven't watched anything on DVD for quite sometime now, easily over a year if not more. What is the point? I am a home theater lover who wants the best audio/video I can and DVD doesn't even come close to Blu-ray. When DVD came out I wasn't interested in VHS anymore either. I've moved on.

It would be of no benefit at all to our magazine to continue coverage of DVD whether it be DVD players or software. It is our responsibility to try our best to encourage growth in the home theater hobby and Blu-ray is the direction we think the industry should go in, not DVD. Players are not being advanced and software is dormant. Exactly what news is there?

There is Blu-ray software being released in 1080i and will continue to be for quite sometime. So player performance in these areas is quite valid, especially for those that want to get the most performance for their investment. I've even worked with Panasonic on their testing regiment and they were VERY interested in making the most of their player's de-interlacing capabilities so obviously they seem to think it is important as well.

Also in most cases de-interlacing is NOT best handled by the display. Most displays do not offer good video processing and it has been one of the last consumer devices to get any type of good video processing, regardless of price. Front projectors tend to fare the best in this regard and even they are hit or miss. Unfortunately to get the best video processing possible you need solid processing in the source device or sometimes in a A/V processor or stand alone video processor. Saying that it is best left to the display is a blatant representation of bad information that does the consumer no good.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #67 of 8256 Old 03-25-2009, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 88
can the people that have the BD60 post some pics and their experiences---load up times, upconversion performance, comparison vs BD35/PS3, power consumption etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

It would be of no benefit at all to our magazine to continue coverage of DVD whether it be DVD players or software. It is our responsibility to try our best to encourage growth in the home theater hobby and Blu-ray is the direction we think the industry should go in, not DVD. Players are not being advanced and software is dormant. Exactly what news is there?

Blu-Ray is the format of the future and does offer the better quality BUT DVD sales currently far outnumber Blu-Ray and will do so for many years to come so in fairness to consumers DVD coverage should be continued...after all isn't it based on what most consumers actually own and not what they should own?
post #68 of 8256 Old 03-25-2009, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 128
New firmware version 1.5 out for the 60 and 80. It can be downloaded her for those not connected to the net. BD-V playability is all it says for now.

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/bd/index.html

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #69 of 8256 Old 03-25-2009, 08:54 AM

I'm new to the world of Bluray players and I'm about to purchase a BD60. I believe I read they take a SD card. What is the SD card for? Do I really need it? If so, what size and speed? I'm buying at BestBuy (because of reward coupons) and I don't want them selling me something I don't need or more capability than I really need.
Thanks for your help.
post #70 of 8256 Old 03-25-2009, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrj54 View Post

I'm new to the world of Bluray players and I'm about to purchase a BD60. I believe I read they take a SD card. What is the SD card for? Do I really need it? If so, what size and speed? I'm buying at BestBuy (because of reward coupons) and I don't want them selling me something I don't need or more capability than I really need.
Thanks for your help.

The SD card has several purposes, mostly to take advantage of BD Live applications. It can also be used for viewing pictures, etc. Many of us use SDHC cards. You can find a $gb for 10 bucks or less. If you just want to watch movies, then you won't need one.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #71 of 8256 Old 03-25-2009, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

anyone know of any places online to buy the BD60?...anyone know if Best Buy stores in Manhattan have these in stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyvind View Post

j&r

thanks for the heads up!!...I just purchased it online at J&R for $299 w/free Ground shipping

for anyone else interested here is the link (if we are not allowed to post links can someone let me know and I will remove it)

http://www.jr.com/panasonic/pe/PAN_DMPBD60/
post #72 of 8256 Old 03-25-2009, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

New firmware version 1.5 out for the 60 and 80. It can be downloaded her for those not connected to the net. BD-V playability is all it says for now.

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/bd/index.html

S~

Whats BD-V?
post #73 of 8256 Old 03-25-2009, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

silly question: I bought an HDMI cable back in 2006 from Monoprice when I purchased an HD-DVD player (HDMI 1.1?)...do I need to purchase a new HDMI 1.3 cable now that I purchased the BD60?
post #74 of 8256 Old 03-25-2009, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

silly question: I bought an HDMI cable back in 2006 from Monoprice when I purchased an HD-DVD player (HDMI 1.1?)...do I need to purchase a new HDMI 1.3 cable now that I purchased the BD60?

No, you shouldn't have to buy a new cable.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #75 of 8256 Old 03-25-2009, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinklefree View Post

Whats BD-V?

BD Video.

S~

post #76 of 8256 Old 03-25-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTalon View Post

People keep saying they've bought this player and set it up.. I've asked like three times now for pictures and still none. Other members also want to see pictures so why not post some?? Seriously, you can take pictures and have them in a post in under 5mins, help us out!

I really do have it and love it,watch step brothers last night on it picture is really amazing,its the same as the 35 picture on bd disc as least thats what i think,i loved my 35 but it was stolen so i jumped on this when my best buy had it
post #77 of 8256 Old 03-25-2009, 12:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
A number of unnecessary comments have been deleted.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #78 of 8256 Old 03-25-2009, 01:38 PM

Just today I received a 'like new' Panasonic BD55 that I ordered at Amazon from one of the resellers of A/V devices attached to their site. The site reported a 5 star customer satisfaction rating for this seller. I have purchased from them this way before and always got good products and services as advertised. I ordered a new set of the appropriate cables online for hook-up to my Denon 7.1 receiver which i expect to be delivered soon so I have not set up the player yet.

I was surprised when I opened up the delivery box(original container) when I found the manual. I was written totally in French!! I don't speak or understand this language so the manual is useless to me. I have read enough threads here to know how to set up the player.
I have two important questions:
First just what is the meaning of 'Region' ? At the Panasonic Blu ray site they refer to the Player as 'Region A'. I assume that means that the player is intented for use in the United States. Now I have received a player with an instruction manual in in this other language so I sssume that it was intended for use in France. What are the potential consequences ? Can this player be used in the United States where I plan to use it ?

Will all of the features work in this Region (USA) ?
Does anyone know where I can find or download a copy of this manual printed in English ?
I would appreciate any and all assistance from anyone.

Thanks !

- jaw2th -
post #79 of 8256 Old 03-25-2009, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2th View Post

Just today I received a 'like new' Panasonic BD55 that I ordered at Amazon from one of the resellers of A/V devices attached to their site. The site reported a 5 star customer satisfaction rating for this seller. I have purchased from them this way before and always got good products and services as advertised. I ordered a new set of the appropriate cables online for hook-up to my Denon 7.1 receiver which i expect to be delivered soon so I have not set up the player yet.

I was surprised when I opened up the delivery box(original container) when I found the manual. I was written totally in French!! I don't speak or understand this language so the manual is useless to me. I have read enough threads here to know how to set up the player.
First just what is the meaning of 'Region' ? At the Panasonic Blu ray site they refer to the Player as 'Region A'. I assume that means that the player is intented for use in the United States. Now I have received a player with an instruction manual in in this other language so I sssume that it was intended for use in France. What are the potential consequences ? Can this player be used in the United States where I plan to use it ?

Does anyone know where I can find or download a copy of this manual printed in English ?

Thanks !

- jaw2th -

It should say the region on the box or in the manual on the first page or so. They do speak French in Canada, also.

S~

post #80 of 8256 Old 03-25-2009, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Thanks !

- jaw2th -

You can find the region of the player on the back.

You probably received a returned Canadian player - it would have come with both French and English manuals, and perhaps the English one got lost/thrown away.

It's probably region A (which includes North America), not B (Europe), mainly because shipping would have been a pain for the seller.

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #81 of 8256 Old 03-25-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTalon View Post

I don't see how a picture from Panny's website helps us... I'd like to see REAL pictures.. someone post somin =(

Here's some pics of the DMP-BD60 with my LN52A850. The camera doesn't do it any justice, but it's the best I could do.

Attachment 137849

Attachment 137850
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #82 of 8256 Old 03-25-2009, 03:51 PM

Location: Toronto Ontario Canada/ Port Charlotte Florida Port Charlotte Florida
Liked: 19
This happened to me before we received a panny HTB and French only and it took an act of God to get the English instructions from Panasonic Canada. They sent us a photocopy in English. I do not know where the English instructions go.I believe you can download the instructions online do a goggle search, or a search on this site, or panny site that may help. If you suspect the box was opened previoulsy you want to consider returning it and wait for the BD 60. The BD 60 is now appearing in stores and it is also posted on the amazon site.
post #83 of 8256 Old 03-25-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:

Finding the manual online is easier than getting your first post on this forum.

Here's a hint: panasonic.com
post #84 of 8256 Old 03-25-2009, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Any chance the new Firmware update included Netflix streaming support to counter the LGs and Samsungs having the feature.

If not, any word on if they will be adding it? I really want all Three, A good Blue Ray Player like the Panasonic, plus YouTube, Plus Netflix streaming.
post #85 of 8256 Old 03-25-2009, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottChez View Post

Any chance the new Firmware update included Netflix streaming support to counter the LGs and Samsungs having the feature.

If not, any word on if they will be adding it? I really want all Three, A good Blue Ray Player like the Panasonic, plus YouTube, Plus Netflix streaming.

I just ran the update on my BD60. I'm guessing the update addresses compatibility issues with certain titles as I notice no additional features or obvious improvements. FWIW my 60 shipped with ver 1.1

I doubt Panasonic will add Netflix, but who knows what might happen down the road.
post #86 of 8256 Old 03-25-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:

I actually almost bought a BD35K from Ebay yesterday but was outbid at the last minute...now I'm glad I didn't win it as the BD60 seems like an improved version...for me PQ is way more important then load up times...I don't mind waiting for a disc to load as long as the picture is flawless

Check www.6ave.com
post #87 of 8256 Old 03-25-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMaDnEsS View Post

Here's some pics of the DMP-BD60 with my LN52A850. The camera doesn't do it any justice, but it's the best I could do.

Thanks for posting some pix! I'm really looking forward to getting one of these, just not sure when it'll be..
post #88 of 8256 Old 03-26-2009, 12:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks for the heads up!!...I just purchased it online at J&R for $299 w/free Ground shipping

http://www.jr.com/panasonic/pe/PAN_DMPBD60/

ordered it on Wednesday afternoon using standard UPS Ground Free Shipping and according to UPS tracking I should be receiving it today (Thursday)...wish everything I ordered came this quickly
post #89 of 8256 Old 03-26-2009, 04:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Is there an online owners manual for the DMP-BD60?

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #90 of 8256 Old 03-26-2009, 04:28 AM

I was about to buy a Sony BDP-S550. Are there significant feature or performance differences between the Sony and the Panasonic DMP-BD80? (I need the analog outs despite the recommendation from the thread starter). I know these Panasonic's are brand new, but perhaps someone has compared similar units from these two manufacturer's.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Panasonic Dmp Bd80k Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd60 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Panasonic

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page