Official Panasonic DMP-BD60/80 Owners Thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 8256 Old 05-16-2009, 04:07 AM
rgs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought the BD-80 several weeks ago after first trying the Sony 350. I switched from the Sony for two reasons. I had expected a better picture but I was astonished at the much better sound off Blu-Ray DVDs and that was connecting via COAX to an older Teac AG-D9320 receiver with no HDMI inputs. The Teac did have 6 channel analog input and the BD-80 could output to those so I could get DTS-HDMA and Dolby TrueHD through the Teac without buying a new receiver. I also wanted to be able to play Divx discs.

I'm not disappointed. I'm outputting HDMI video through a Benq W500 projector to a 90 inch picture on a wall painted with Goo Systems Digital Grey paint. The BD-80's picture from Blu-Ray disks is markedly better than the Sony's - much brighter and richer colors. The sound is superb. Resolution of standard DVDs is about the same as from my other upconverting DVD player - a Philips 5992, but the W500 also upconverts so I wasn't expecting too much of a difference.

The BD-80's setup is a bit complicated and the manual isn't the clearest I've seen. I got a lot of help from the folks at bigpicturebigsound dot com - a terrific site and I recommend you check it out. I found it while searching for reviews of the BD-60/80 and their reviews of these players are the most informative and comprehensive out there. The forum threads are also excellent sources of information and you get quick, comprehensive and definitive answers to any questions you ask. Without their help I'd still be muddling around trying to get the best sound and video.

No problems with freezing.

Best,
Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 8256 Old 05-16-2009, 05:52 AM

This is my first Blu-ray player and I bought it based on my experience with the other Panasonic products I own. Since it's just been introduced as their newest Blu-ray player, I haven't had it long enough to speak to its durability but if it's like Panasonic's other products, it will be durable.
post #1083 of 8256 Old 05-16-2009, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchiang View Post

Okay, thanks for the info. Panasonic does make it easy for their own remotes, but I haven't figured out a way to program the Harmony remotes for different remote code sets other than manually pointing the Panasonic remote at the Harmony remote (one button at a time--very tedious). I may end up going with a non-Panasonic Blu-Ray player then.

If the other remote sets have been added to the Harmony database then you should be able to get the Harmony to use set 2 by doing the following:
  • Set the factory remote to use set 2
  • I the device setup screen for the BD60 in the Harmony config, click Settings, Confirm Infrared Commands, Yes I have a remote for this device.
  • You'll be prompted to confirm just a few commands. If it matches commands in the Harmony database, you'll be switched to that command set.

This is how I change remote sets for my TiVos as well.

My Media Room Construction thread. Work began 2/15/05, finished 7.1 install 6/2005. Sold house 7/2007.
post #1084 of 8256 Old 05-16-2009, 07:25 AM

I just purchased a DMP-BD60 from Amazon and want to make sure I don't have a unit with the freezing problem before the return period is over - what settings do I use?

The DMP-BD60 is set to 24fps video at 1080p with everything going bitstream via HDMI 1.3 to my Denon AVR-789 receiver, after which the video is sent to my Samsung HL-61A750 DLP TV.

I'm a netflix subscriber, so some suggestions as to what Blu Ray discs would be good for testing would be great. Thanks.
post #1085 of 8256 Old 05-16-2009, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kef3005 View Post

Hello,
Pleasantly surprised by the panasonic Bd80, very nice picture and beautiful sound through analog-out! Have regularly next problem, the picture freezes sometimes for 5-6 seconds during playback (once-twice per movie). Any idea if this can be solved through future firmware? Currently version 1.5 is installed. Thanks for any response!

I have also had this happen to me once on two separate occasions now, with some brand new releases.
I didn't keep track of what the particular titles or chapter number were, but will pay closer attention now.
It only freezes momentarily and then continues playing.
Didn't think much of it at the time, but it seems some others are experiencing the same problem.
post #1086 of 8256 Old 05-17-2009, 08:51 AM

Wild idea on the freezing front. I have not experienced it myself, but I have only played two blu-rays so far. Mainly enjoying rewatching my favorite DVDs.

Anyway, I do NOT have the quick start feature enabled on my player. Don't want to waste power, and my TV stand doesn't give the player enough room for very good ventilation--it's so stinkin' wide!

So, my idea is, those of you who have the freezing issue, do you have quick start enabled? If so, try disabling it. That way your player will be starting with a clean slate each time you play a movie, much like rebooting a computer that has become sluggish due to lots of stuff lingering in RAM that is no longer in use.
post #1087 of 8256 Old 05-17-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skroh View Post

So, my idea is, those of you who have the freezing issue, do you have quick start enabled? If so, try disabling it. That way your player will be starting with a clean slate each time you play a movie, much like rebooting a computer that has become sluggish due to lots of stuff lingering in RAM that is no longer in use.

Thanks for the idea. I've never had the quick start enabled, though, so that isn't it.
post #1088 of 8256 Old 05-17-2009, 10:38 AM

Hello everyone,
Thanks for your comments about freezing during playback. Here are some more details about my installation, my player is connected to a Pioneer 507XD plasma and a Pioneer Ax3 receiver. It is connected with hdmi on the plasma and with analog out to the receiver.I've experienced freezing with rental movies but also with new blu-ray discs, for example Band Of Brothers disc 2 and 4 but also The Matrix and X-Men 2. Most movies play fine without freezing up problems, i have these freezing problems on maybe 2-3/10 movies i play.Discs are used with care, no finger prints, etc. .. For me it is also the case that playback continues after a few seconds after freezing, and after I stop playback and return to the track where it first jammed, everything plays normal. I have this freezing issue with Quick Start on and with Quick Start off. My Pioneer 507XD can handle 24P, had no problems on playback with my former Pioneer BDP-LX71 but i had many,many,many other issues with this machine.Then i bought this Panasonic, where otherwise I'm extremely satisfied with, only this freezing issue...Excuse my poor English.
post #1089 of 8256 Old 05-17-2009, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Your English is fine. I think it is clear that this freezing issue happens randomly. No specific disc, track or settings will cause or cure the issue. Hopefully, Panasonic can nail it down and fix it with a firmware update.
post #1090 of 8256 Old 05-17-2009, 02:58 PM

Hi! Need some help. I have a Onkyo TX-SR605 reciever running my home theatre and I recently switched out my Onkyo DV-SP404 DVD Player for a Panasonic DMP-BD605 Blu Ray Player (from Costco). The only thing is that now I cannot get video to my Panasonic Plasma TV (TH-50PZ800U). Everything is connected via HDMI. I can get audio but no video. When I reconnect my DVD player, everything works fine. It's just when I connect the Blu Ray that I don't get a picture. Has anyone experienced this when swapping DVD for a Blu Ray? Any help you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
post #1091 of 8256 Old 05-17-2009, 03:55 PM

Picked up the BD60 a little earlier today but won't be home until late. May be a few days until I have time to hook it up and try it out. Glad I am finally joining the Blu-Ray club!
post #1092 of 8256 Old 05-17-2009, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by acastano View Post

Hi! Need some help. I have a Onkyo TX-SR605 reciever running my home theatre and I recently switched out my Onkyo DV-SP404 DVD Player for a Panasonic DMP-BD605 Blu Ray Player (from Costco). The only thing is that now I cannot get video to my Panasonic Plasma TV (TH-50PZ800U). Everything is connected via HDMI. I can get audio but no video. When I reconnect my DVD player, everything works fine. It's just when I connect the Blu Ray that I don't get a picture. Has anyone experienced this when swapping DVD for a Blu Ray? Any help you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Have you read the operating manual ?

HDMI is NOT always ON by default.

Most likely you need to go into the setup menu and select HDMI video on.

After performing this task, you should have video.
post #1093 of 8256 Old 05-17-2009, 06:06 PM

I just got a bd 60. When I play it, I get a rolling of the picture during the beginning parts of the disk. At the top of my screen, I get a wavy distortion. I tried 2 different disks and no change. I have it hooked up via component through my Integra 9.9 into a Samsung DLP. Should I just replace it or is there something I should do?
post #1094 of 8256 Old 05-17-2009, 06:28 PM

Has anyone heard anything on when the BD70 will be shipping? I have had one on order since March. Originally, it was to ship in April, then May and now it is scheduled for June. I just set up a Samsung LN55A950 LCD TV and I am anxious to replace an old DVD player that doesn't have an HDMI output with a Panasonic Blu Ray player.
post #1095 of 8256 Old 05-17-2009, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have a PS3 and been looking for a second Blu-Ray player for the house ... since my 12 yr old thinks of the PS3 as his own gaming console.

Relative to the PS3 .. what does the BD60 score higher in ?
post #1096 of 8256 Old 05-17-2009, 08:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by falzpozitive View Post

It scores higher in disc freeze....

So the BD60 is a few steps backwards from the BD35? I've never had any disc freezes with the BD35. Which was not the case when I used a PS3 for BD playback.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #1097 of 8256 Old 05-17-2009, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by falzpozitive View Post

It scores higher in disc freeze....

but doesn't have a fan that sounds like a jet engine...

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #1098 of 8256 Old 05-17-2009, 10:15 PM

Got my BD 60 hooked up - updated the firmware (1.1 to 1.5) via CD and threw in Iron Man - looks great!

Using HDMI to my Yamaha RX-V661 with no problems at all. TV is Samsung HL-T5687 LED DLP.

Love it!

Gonna have to figure out the best way to get it hooked up to the internet, as our builder didn't put an ethernet run to the entertainment area like we wanted..... one of the few slip-ups we had with an otherwise great contractor.
post #1099 of 8256 Old 05-17-2009, 10:24 PM

I bought a Panasonic DMP-BD60 from Best Buy and I connected to my Pioneer Elite SC-05 A/V receiver. When I dropped in Ironman disc which contains Dolby TrueHD sound. All I got was Dolby Pro-II or Dolby Digital EX!! I called Panasonic Tech support and they told me to check the audio setting for Bitsteam & Surround sound which were set correctly. I still got the same display of DPRO-II sound. I decided the unit was defectived and exchange my unit for a new one even thou the salesman thought other wise. Sure enough the problem was not fixed. I finally decided to call Pioneer Tech Support and spoke with guy a named Kevin. Sure enough he said my Panay would only decode HD codecs internally. The unit did not output any HD Codecs per design!! This was the answer I was looking for. I took my Panay back to BB and they verified the unit will not output HD Codecs when connecting the unit with a Elite A/V receiver. Best Buy agreed to exchange my Panay with a Sony S360 which decodes internally and externally for all HD formatted codecs.
post #1100 of 8256 Old 05-17-2009, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Oh, please now, Dave. That's just not the case. The BD60 decodes and bitstreams over HDMI. Here's the product description from the Panasonic webite:

Dolby® TrueHD Decode and Bitstream output
DTS-HD Decode and Bitstream output

Here's the link:
http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...702#tabsection

Somehow I think that limitation would have been noted by someone else in the weeks since this player was released.

How are you connected? The S/PDIF protocol used for optical and coax connections doesn't support lossless multichannel audio. That's true for all BD players, not just the BD60, of course.
post #1101 of 8256 Old 05-18-2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveXX View Post

I took my Panay back to BB and they verified the unit will not output HD Codecs when connecting the unit with a Elite A/V receiver. Best Buy agreed to exchange my Panay with a Sony S360 which decodes internally and externally for all HD formatted codecs.

I am an owner of a BD-60 and also Pioneer Elite (VSX-01) for over 3 weeks now... Dave, I'm sure you were connected through HDMI but what about your settings? The Pio 05 is a bigger beast then the 01 and I have had no problems getting TrueHD or DTS-MA (through bitstream) to show up on the Pio (pg 39 in 05/07 manual).

I'd offer some assistance to you but you have already exchanged the player... So for future reference... When I usually have questions I come to this forum (I use the search function), and I usually find my answer(as you can see by how many times i post). Not meaning to bash or anything like that but it just sucks seeing that you had to exchange to another BD player(nothing against Sony but I too felt IMHO the Panny has better PQ).

Those with freezing issues, first thing I did to my bd-60 was the fw update to 1.5. I've watch 15+ BD, and a few SD DVD and I have NOT encountered any freezing issues... If you are within your 30days, exchange it for another one... Yes it's a pain to deal with CS, but I'll take that over freezing anyday...
post #1102 of 8256 Old 05-18-2009, 02:34 AM

Hi,

Ive recently bought this Panasonic DMP-BD60 and found that some movies have a white flash throughout the film.

I find that every minute or so the screen flashes white for half a second. Its really annoying. This usually happens to blue ray movies most often.

The television I'm using is a brand new LG 47 inch LCD. This does not happen when I am simply watching TV. The flashing only occurs during DVD play.

The HDMI cable I'm using is from Belkin and is one of the more expensive ones. If it was the cable then I would get this flashing on all DVD's. I also use this cable to connect my laptop to the TV and it never flashes.

Its definately the Panasonic DMP-BD60 that has the problem.

If this has happened to anyone else, could you let me know what the problem might be. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Poosti.

ps. This is my first ever forum post. A proud moment for me.
post #1103 of 8256 Old 05-18-2009, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveXX View Post

I bought a Panasonic DMP-BD60 from Best Buy and I connected to my Pioneer Elite SC-05 A/V receiver. When I dropped in Ironman disc which contains Dolby TrueHD sound. All I got was Dolby Pro-II or Dolby Digital EX!! I called Panasonic Tech support and they told me to check the audio setting for Bitsteam & Surround sound which were set correctly. I still got the same display of DPRO-II sound. I decided the unit was defectived and exchange my unit for a new one even thou the salesman thought other wise. Sure enough the problem was not fixed. I finally decided to call Pioneer Tech Support and spoke with guy a named Kevin. Sure enough he said my Panay would only decode HD codecs internally. The unit did not output any HD Codecs per design!! This was the answer I was looking for. I took my Panay back to BB and they verified the unit will not output HD Codecs when connecting the unit with a Elite A/V receiver. Best Buy agreed to exchange my Panay with a Sony S360 which decodes internally and externally for all HD formatted codecs.

IIRC, IRonman defaults to DD (as many BD discs do). You have to select the TrueHD audio track. It is not the fault of the player. 60 can internally decode as well as bitstream the same way as 360 as long as you connect with HDMI.
post #1104 of 8256 Old 05-18-2009, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-rocka View Post

Just got off the phone with tech support. They don't have a clue. I was told that Onkyo's and this Panny might not play nice with each other (I have my player connected to a 876) and that each is working on the issue, but I really didn't get any help. Guess I'd better find my receipt...

I have an Onkyo 606 with the 60 on the latest FW, have had it a few weeks played about 10 disks, no freezing whatsoever.
post #1105 of 8256 Old 05-18-2009, 05:46 AM

I hope I'm not jinxing it but my BD-80 has played flawlessly for 4.5 weeks. The discs have been SD, SD from Netflix, new BR, and BR from netflix. The only problem I have had is with a used BR I bought from someone on Amazon. It wouldn't play at all because the disc is Region [b]B[b]. I've played hundreds of discs and never run into one of these before! Hopefully, the guy will give me a refund.
Anyway, so far, my BD-80 is a great little player.
post #1106 of 8256 Old 05-18-2009, 06:24 AM

Problem solved. I updated the player on the net and It seems to have solved all my problems. (I hope)
post #1107 of 8256 Old 05-18-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poosti View Post

Problem solved. I updated the player on the net and It seems to have solved all my problems. (I hope)

Congrats and welcome to the world of forum posts! This is a great place to learn and share.

Ptree:

Sometimes, it's only afterwards, I find that I'm not there.
post #1108 of 8256 Old 05-18-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhawk71 View Post

Picked up the BD60 a little earlier today but won't be home until late. May be a few days until I have time to hook it up and try it out. Glad I am finally joining the Blu-Ray club!

Yes, I am quoting myself.

It was an easy hookup last night - unplug existing HDMI upscaling DVD player and hook up the BD60 - so I did, installed the new firmware from CD (have to figure out how I want to connect this thing to the network), and threw in Iron Man.

Picture is GREAT, sound too. Frankly, it loaded Iron Man BR faster than my Sony DVD changer loaded DVDs. If I get around to it I will time it to see how long it takes, but it is not an issue to me.

At least to me, the remote is responsive enough that I don't notice any significant "lag" like others have mentioned. Skipping chapters was quick as well. I think some of the "negatives" of this player may have been overblown, at least in my eyes. In my limited experience so far this thing is awesome. VERY good purchase.

Best Buy has a deal going on right now where if you buy the player for $299 you get a free BR movie up to $30. Seing as how I had just over $300 in BB gift cards - a no brainer! I paid about $20 out of pocket.
post #1109 of 8256 Old 05-18-2009, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I also just got the 60 player and I was going online ot make sure the FW was the most current. When I had it check twice, it gave the message that it was unable to verfy or get to the FW page.

How do I ensure that I have the current FW. I thought i need to have this updated to utilize the BD live.
post #1110 of 8256 Old 05-18-2009, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

The firmware update has nothing to do with BD Live but rather bug fixes. You can download and burn a firmware update disc yourself if you can't get it via player directly. The link is provided many times in this thread already. Do a search.

Seems to me your network configurations on your player aren't configured correctly or your didn't connect your player correctly to the internet. You need to straighten this out in order for BD Live to work later on.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Panasonic Dmp Bd80k Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd60 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Panasonic

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page