Official Panasonic DMP-BD60/80 Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-26-2009, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Also interested in the comparison between the S550 and the BD-80. I have a Pioneer 51fd that I've found to be a bit buggy for my sig other, so I'm looking for something a bit more user-friendly. I need the 7.1 analog as our receiver doesn't support HDMI and a new AVR is off in the way distant future.

Thanks,

Jason

Custom Built For The Win!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2009, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

I have a 60 here but haven't started in on my tests.
Also in most cases de-interlacing is NOT best handled by the display. Most displays do not offer good video processing and it has been one of the last consumer devices to get any type of good video processing, regardless of price. Front projectors tend to fare the best in this regard and even they are hit or miss. Unfortunately to get the best video processing possible you need solid processing in the source device or sometimes in a A/V processor or stand alone video processor. Saying that it is best left to the display is a blatant representation of bad information that does the consumer no good.

Unless one spends $4K for a separate video processor, there is little choice but to use the displays built-in deinterlacing capabilities, as most broadcasts are interlaced. However the major point Panasonic (and myself) are making is deintelacing ability is only one building block of many which can ultimately lead to 1080 lines of smooth motion resolution.

I know you cover many front projectors. In the flat panel arena, Panasonic, Sony and Samsung have each released displays with 1080 motion resolution from any 1080i or 1080p sources. It’s not an issue anymore if you buy quality and choose carefully. AFAIK, HDGuru is the only source for motion resolution testing. His results have even been published in Home Theater Magazine.

The unique built in image processing of the BD35/60/80 players accurately restores the integrity caused by undersampling and compression. This processing is valid for both interlaced and progressive sources. It's a remarkable accomplishment for a $300 player.
This player was the last missing (weak) link in my system. (Equivalent to the Fifth element?). I didn’t even know it was missing until I understood why it was an improvement in picture quality over the PS3. Of course not everyone owns the superb Samsung 950 display with its LED light source and local diming either. As you state alot of displays still fall far short of being able display 1080 lines of motion resolution. So I'm seeing an improvement that others may not be yet.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:56 AM

Anyone/everyone,

Do you think this player is better than the BD50 that I currently own?

Scott
Old 03-26-2009, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I finally got to watch a few movies the last couple days on the BD60. The PQ is top notch- colors are more vibrant and shadow detail is much better then my LG BH200 combo player. I also didn't notice a drastic difference between the SD upconversion between the 2 players either.

The audio is fantastic too. Does the Pansonic amplify the mulitchannel pcm sound? It is substantially louder then the LG. I don't have a receiver that decodes any of the advanced audio and use the players to do that and send it mulitchannel pcm. The Panasonic has a much cleaner and more vibrant sound. I typically had the Onkyo 674 volume set at around 60, but with the Pansonic I only have to set it at around 50. I am extremely happy with the player overall. I am not sure about all that technical mumbo jumbo in the previous posts but Pansonic is doing something right. The player seems to exceed the LG that uses a Broadcom/Qdeo chip that costs 3X as much. I can only assume Pansonic can offer a much better product at lower prices since their video processor is developed "in house."

BTW- a new firmware came out yesterday. Not sure what the new firmware improved, but it updated the firmware from rev 1.1 to rev 1.5.

NE Ohio HT Nutt
Old 03-26-2009, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 91
are load times as bad as some of the reviews say?...a little over a minute?...does Panasonic mail out free firmware discs?
Old 03-26-2009, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

Is there an online owners manual for the DMP-BD60?

It's not officially there, but just open the manual for the 35 at the Panny site in a new window and then just change "35" to "60" in the address line. That's how I obtained it yesterday. I have a 35, I was just curious if the unit outputs HD Audio when Secondary Audio is enable. Like the 35, it appears hindered in this area.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

Unless one spends $4K for a separate video processor, there is little choice but to use the displays built-in deinterlacing capabilities, as most broadcasts are interlaced. However the major point Panasonic (and myself) are making is deintelacing ability is only one building block of many which can ultimately lead to 1080 lines of smooth motion resolution.

I know you cover many front projectors. In the flat panel arena, Panasonic, Sony and Samsung have each released displays with 1080 motion resolution from any 1080i or 1080p sources. It's not an issue anymore if you buy quality and choose carefully. AFAIK, HDGuru is the only source for motion resolution testing. His results have even been published in Home Theater Magazine.

The unique built in image processing of the BD35/60/80 players accurately restores the integrity caused by undersampling and compression. This processing is valid for both interlaced and progressive sources. It's a remarkable accomplishment for a $300 player.
This player was the last missing (weak) link in my system. (Equivalent to the Fifth element?). I didn't even know it was missing until I understood why it was an improvement in picture quality over the PS3. Of course not everyone owns the superb Samsung 950 display with its LED light source and local diming either. As you state alot of displays still fall far short of being able display 1080 lines of motion resolution. So I'm seeing an improvement that others may not be yet.

Video processors can be had for far less than $4K. The DVDO Edge is a great example at only $800. Most AVRs and SSPs with onboard video processing exceed what we are seeing from displays as well.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
Old 03-26-2009, 09:30 AM

Kris,
how do you think this unit compares to the Panny BDP50?

Thanks,
Scott
Old 03-26-2009, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does the BD60 have better pq then the BD35?
Old 03-26-2009, 09:55 AM

Thanks Shinksma for the reassurance that this Panasonic BD55 is most likely from Canada and not Europe. Ater receiving the player yesterday, I spent a few hours moving my heavy A/V system housing cabinets and wading through, betwen, and under the complex wiring behind my components. I had to cut mutiple cable bundlers just to access the rear ports of my receiver. I finally got all the cables attached correctly.

Then I fired up the player and I got sound only but no picture. I have checked all the settings on the TV and I cannnot discover the source of the problem. Connecting the HDMI cable from the TV to the Blu ray player is a simple matter compared to the audio analog connections.
Obviously, I get no set up display on the TV so I cannot perform this process. This is both perplexing and frustrating.

I hava a Denon receiver (AVR-4802R) whichi has no HDMI receptacle and a Mitsubishi TV (WS-48515) which does offer the HDMI connection.
Without an Owner's manual or a TV display I can't even troubleshoot or perform a system set-up on the player. If this problem cannot be solved in the next few days, I'll have to return the unit. This something I do want to do since I've spent so much time and effort on the installation already. I just want to enjoy the unit.

What I need is ...HELP !!!

- jaw2th -
Old 03-26-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

Is there an online owners manual for the DMP-BD60?

http://service.us.panasonic.com/Oper...l.aspx?cat=DVD
Old 03-26-2009, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post

Kris,
how do you think this unit compares to the Panny BDP50?

Thanks,
Scott

These players use the exact same video processing as the BD 35/55. I reviewed those and the 30/50 for Home Theater so you can look at the differences in those reviews online. Video processing did improve but only in certain areas so you would need to figure out if the improvements would have any real benefit for you.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
Old 03-26-2009, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2th View Post

Without an Owner's manual or a TV display I can't even troubleshoot or perform a system set-up on the player.

Did you download the owner's manual from Panasonic's website?

Have you tried a different display? Even hook up composite or component just see if you can see anything?

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks for the link GRUNT3.

According to the manual the SD port supports:
JPEG format
SD Memory Card* (from 8 MB to 2 GB)
[AVCHD]AVCHD format

SDHC Memory Card (from 4GB to 32GB)
[MPEG2]MPEG2 format

The USB port supports:
MP3 and JPEG,the BD80 also supports DivX.
USB devices which are defined as USB mass storage class.
–USB devices that support USB 1.0/1.1 and USB 2.0 Full Speed/High Speed.USB devices of up to 128 GB can be used.USB devices that support bulk only transfer.
CBI (Control/Bulk/Interrupt) is not supported.Digital Cameras which require additional program installation when connected to a PC are not supported.MTP (Media Transport Protocol) device is not supported.A multi-port USB card reader is not supported.
File systemFAT12, FAT16 and FAT32 file systems are supported.UDF/NTFS/exFAT file system is not supported.Depending on the sector size, some files may not work.Only the first partition on USB devices with multi-partition is supported.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

The SD card has several purposes, mostly to take advantage of BD Live applications. It can also be used for viewing pictures, etc. Many of us use SDHC cards. You can find a $gb for 10 bucks or less. If you just want to watch movies, then you won't need one.

S~

so I cannot view the BD Live material at all without an SD card?...does anyone have any recommendations on a good cheap card and where I can purchase it online?...I thought I would be able to view the BD Live material without the card and it was used to store the contents of the bonus material
Old 03-26-2009, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

so I cannot view the BD Live material at all without an SD card?...does anyone have any recommendations on a good cheap card and where I can purchase it online?...I thought I would be able to view the BD Live material without the card and it was used to store the contents of the bonus material

It's a requirement because there's no internal memory but you can buy a 4GB card for around $10 at B&M stores or online.
According to the manual a SD card at least 2GB is required.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

I've been using the BD60 for the last few days and here are my impressions:

Good
1. The video quality is excellent, although frankly I've never met a BDP that looked bad. The extra video controls are nice, but could be a curse in disguise if you don't know what you're doing.
2. My Onkyo 805 definitely likes decoding HD codecs rather than amplifying LPCM because the sound is more detailed, but with a tad less bass. The opening car chase scene in Quantum of Solace is stunning.
3. I have yet to see a compatibility problem with any disk.
4. The unit is fairly quiet with only a hint of vibration and load noise.
5. I like the 24p playback for SD DVD, but it seems like I have to select it each time(!).

The not-so-good
1. I would rate the overall responsiveness of this unit as barely "acceptable". Fast forward and chapter switching is pretty slow, and menu buttons aren't very responsive, even with regular DVD's. I must have been spoiled with my PS3
2. Youtube on my BD player? Come one Panasonic, give me Netflix please.
3. The remote is good, but needs a subtitle button.

Overall I think this is a solid choice for a blu ray player. Consider this the Honda Accord of players, nothing flashy or exceptional, but does everything well at a great price.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviegeek View Post

According to the manual the SD port supports:
SDHC Memory Card (from 4GB to 32GB)
[MPEG2]MPEG2 format

I was also just looking at the manual and wondering .. MPEG2???

Anyone try this yet? I'm curious what exactly can be played as far as MPEG2 (file structure, resolution, etc.) on these players.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinklefree View Post

I've been using the BD60 for the last few days and here are my impressions:

Good
1. The video quality is excellent, although frankly I've never met a BDP that looked bad. The extra video controls are nice, but could be a curse in disguise if you don't know what you're doing.
2. My Onkyo 805 definitely likes decoding HD codecs rather than amplifying LPCM because the sound is more detailed, but with a tad less bass. The opening car chase scene in Quantum of Solace is stunning.
3. I have yet to see a compatibility problem with any disk.
4. The unit is fairly quiet with only a hint of vibration and load noise.
5. I like the 24p playback for SD DVD, but it seems like I have to select it each time(!).

The not-so-good
1. I would rate the overall responsiveness of this unit as barely "acceptable". Fast forward and chapter switching is pretty slow, and menu buttons aren't very responsive, even with regular DVD's. I must have been spoiled with my PS3
2. Youtube on my BD player? Come one Panasonic, give me Netflix please.
3. The remote is good, but needs a subtitle button.

Overall I think this is a solid choice for a blu ray player. Consider this the Honda Accord of players, nothing flashy or exceptional, but does everything well at a great price.

So will your PS3 be moving out for the BD60?
I love my ps3, but always feel like i'm missing the bitstreaming.
I have an HD-A3, and the speed of that killed me. The PS3 is great in that respect.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

i have a panny BDP30 is it worth it replacing it with the BDP60?

thanks
Old 03-26-2009, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 24
bluray PQ will mostly like the be same, but you might see improvement on standard dvds.

Jacob
Old 03-26-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr330i View Post

So will your PS3 be moving out for the BD60?
I love my ps3, but always feel like i'm missing the bitstreaming.
I have an HD-A3, and the speed of that killed me. The PS3 is great in that respect.

As much as I liked the bd60, the PS3 has retained its position in my entertainment center. The PQ and AQ of the 60 was improved over the PS3, but not enough to dethrone the current champ. The loading and slow response menus and buttons sealed the deal for me.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut1015 View Post

As much as I liked the bd60, the PS3 has retained its position in my entertainment center. The PQ and AQ of the 60 was improved over the PS3, but not enough to dethrone the current champ. The loading and slow response menus and buttons sealed the deal for me.

The 60 has become my primary BD player mostly because its QUIETER. To be honest the slower response times are not THAT big of a deal when watching movies because lets be honest, you hit "play" and sit on your a$$ for 2 hours. I'm not constantly skipping back and forth on a disk unless I'm trying to demo something.

I still use the PS3 for gaming.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

So, I bought a BD-60 today after the adventure of paying for a BD-35 from Best Buy that never arrived (I blame Panasonic discontinuing it right about the time I bought it plus Best Buy having a weird inventory tracking system).

I went into the store and told them I heard other BBs were getting them. It took them a few minutes to finally track them down - on the very top of one of their aisles, about 11 feet off the ground. They had about 16 or so just sitting there, but had none on display. The guy said they just came in this past Tuesday and they were waiting for other TVs and electronics to arrive before doing a complete floor swap.

So, I brought it home, configured it, and downloaded the 1.5 firmware. Everything went smoothly.

The PQ is amazing, very sharp and detailed with the few BDs I've purchased. It is a tiny bit "slow" when responding to commands, but as someone said, you press play and sit on your behind for a few hours.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2th View Post

Thanks Shinksma for the reassurance that this Panasonic BD55 is most likely from Canada and not Europe. Ater receiving the player yesterday, I spent a few hours moving my heavy A/V system housing cabinets and wading through, betwen, and under the complex wiring behind my components. I had to cut mutiple cable bundlers just to access the rear ports of my receiver. I finally got all the cables attached correctly.

Then I fired up the player and I got sound only but no picture. I have checked all the settings on the TV and I cannnot discover the source of the problem. Connecting the HDMI cable from the TV to the Blu ray player is a simple matter compared to the audio analog connections.
Obviously, I get no set up display on the TV so I cannot perform this process. This is both perplexing and frustrating.

I hava a Denon receiver (AVR-4802R) whichi has no HDMI receptacle and a Mitsubishi TV (WS-48515) which does offer the HDMI connection.
Without an Owner's manual or a TV display I can't even troubleshoot or perform a system set-up on the player. If this problem cannot be solved in the next few days, I'll have to return the unit. This something I do want to do since I've spent so much time and effort on the installation already. I just want to enjoy the unit.

What I need is ...HELP !!!

- jaw2th -

It sounds like the video resolution is set to a mode that your TV can't handle. Try connecting the player directly to the TV via component cables (which by default will be no higher than 1080i resolution) and see if you get a picture that way. You can then go into the setup menu from there and reset the resolution as appropriate for your monitor. Good luck,
Old 03-26-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennberg View Post

So, I bought a BD-60 today after the adventure of paying for a BD-35 from Best Buy that never arrived (I blame Panasonic discontinuing it right about the time I bought it plus Best Buy having a weird inventory tracking system).

I went into the store and told them I heard other BBs were getting them. It took them a few minutes to finally track them down - on the very top of one of their aisles, about 11 feet off the ground. They had about 16 or so just sitting there, but had none on display. The guy said they just came in this past Tuesday and they were waiting for other TVs and electronics to arrive before doing a complete floor swap.

So, I brought it home, configured it, and downloaded the 1.5 firmware. Everything went smoothly.

The PQ is amazing, very sharp and detailed with the few BDs I've purchased. It is a tiny bit "slow" when responding to commands, but as someone said, you press play and sit on your behind for a few hours.

I also picked up a BD60 today at my local BB. As you experienced, they had several units up high on a shelf. No units on display. It seems like they do not want to sell them.
Anyway, I haven't had too much time to play with it yet but did play portions of a BR disc, and SD disc. All had outstanding PQ. Even tried YouTube and the picture quality was very good.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviegeek View Post

It's a requirement because there's no internal memory but you can buy a 4GB card for around $10 at B&M stores or online.
According to the manual a SD card at least 2GB is required.

do I have to format/erase the data on the SDHC card for each movie that I watch that has BD-Live content?...or does it automatically overwrite it each time?
Old 03-26-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrj54 View Post

I also picked up a BD60 today at my local BB. As you experienced, they had several units up high on a shelf. No units on display. It seems like they do not want to sell them.
Anyway, I haven't had too much time to play with it yet but did play portions of a BR disc, and SD disc. All had outstanding PQ. Even tried YouTube and the picture quality was very good.

As did I. I had looked around online and BB didn't even list the Panny players. I went to my area store and none were on display. So I asked, "do not carry Panasonic anymore?" Sure enough they had a few in the back. I wonder what's going on.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseburro View Post

As did I. I had looked around online and BB didn't even list the Panny players. I went to my area store and none were on display. So I asked, "do not carry Panasonic anymore?" Sure enough they had a few in the back. I wonder what's going on.

Its a combination of issues:
1) this is what happens when the product is hyped beyond belief at AVS.
2) the players have been out of stock for months
3) the initial shipment ran out
4) and http://www.twice.com/article/CA6644139.html?q=panasonic
Quote: “We want to make sure for our VieraCast products that there’s a live Internet connection, and we want to make sure that the signage around our products clearly communicates the benefits to the consumer." Ain't that the truth!
5) think Nintendo Wii business model
Old 03-26-2009, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

do I have to format/erase the data on the SDHC card for each movie that I watch that has BD-Live content?...or does it automatically overwrite it each time?

Just format it once and it will erase it automatically.

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Panasonic Dmp Bd80k Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd60 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Panasonic