post #1171 of 8255 Old 05-21-2009, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug G View Post

I don't recall if I noticed that or not, but I did notice a similar problem (I posted about many pages back in this thread) during the crane chase scene. I see stuttering for a second or two at the shot where the crane appears from screen right and proceeds under the highway overpass. It almost appears as though frames are being dropped. I checked the disc and no defects or scratches that I can see (I bought this disc brand new) and it does happen when replayed. I meant to bring this disc to a friend's who has a Pio BD51 to see if it was the disc or my player but haven't gotten around to it yet. Does your copy exhibit this problem on the BD60? If not, maybe I need to exchange this copy for a new one.

Next time I have the player on I'll check that truck scene you mentioned.

No, other than it takes forever to get into the menu's due to that god awful BD-Live stuff, the film itself played flawlessly on my 60.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 8255 Old 05-21-2009, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingus View Post

What amount of memory is ample enough to put in the SD slot or the USB slot to utilize the BD live etc. on the 60?

The manual states a minimum of 1GB of free memory is required on the SD card for BD Live to work.

There is no mention of using a USB memory stick for BD live. Sounds like BD Live only works with the SD card.
post #1173 of 8255 Old 05-21-2009, 01:07 PM

Liked: 10
I got the DM601 from Costco. I've watched a few blu-ray movies so far, and has encountered freezing a couple times. I thought that's similar to layer change in DVD, but maybe it is indeed an issue with the player? Otherwise, the player has been great. Well! Maybe this is a good excuse to spend more to get the Oppo bdp-83
post #1174 of 8255 Old 05-21-2009, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by seowfun View Post

I got the DM601 from Costco. I've watched a few blu-ray movies so far, and has encountered freezing a couple times. I thought that's similar to layer change in DVD, but maybe it is indeed an issue with the player? Otherwise, the player has been great. Well! Maybe this is a good excuse spend more to get the Oppo bdp-83

Players should not freeze, period. Why don't you go back to Costco and exchange your unit? I didn't have a freezing, YET.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #1175 of 8255 Old 05-21-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boylan13 View Post

As long as you have your Digital Audio Output set to BITSTREAM (for Dolby and DTS) and BD-Secondary Audio set to OFF, then the Dolby TrueHD track on Iron Man works like a charm over HDMI/bitstream. I've tested this on a Pioneer VSX-94THX receiver which isn't that different from what you are using.

You also should make sure that the Dolby TrueHD track is selected on the Blu-ray disc itself but I think it's the default soundtrack on Iron Man.

-CB

Chris is this the way it should be setup for all blu ray movies? When I set up my BD605 it says that if you bitstream Dolby Digital HD and DTS HD that the Secondary Audio should be set to on. Should I have it set to off?

Thanks,
Eric
post #1176 of 8255 Old 05-21-2009, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You might have misread the manual. On pg 8 it says it should be set to off for the hi res audio formats.
post #1177 of 8255 Old 05-21-2009, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Thompsom was talking about plain DD and DTS but the answer is the same. You only set secondry audio to "on" if you are NOT using HDMI. If you are NOT using HDMI there is no way to get the high resolution audio formats with the BD60.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #1178 of 8255 Old 05-21-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post

You might have misread the manual. On pg 8 it says it should be set to off for the hi res audio formats.

So in order to enjoy Dolby Digital HD and DTS HD I should have the Secondary Audio set to off?
post #1179 of 8255 Old 05-21-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

Thompsom was talking about plain DD and DTS but the answer is the same. You only set secondry audio to "on" if you are NOT using HDMI. If you are NOT using HDMI there is no way to get the high resolution audio formats with the BD60.

I am using HDMI.
post #1180 of 8255 Old 05-21-2009, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompson20 View Post

So in order to enjoy Dolby Digital HD and DTS HD I should have the Secondary Audio set to off?

Yes. Off.
post #1181 of 8255 Old 05-21-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Yes. Off.

Right On! Thanks.
post #1182 of 8255 Old 05-21-2009, 11:47 PM

Hi all, this thread grows faster than I can read it, which I guess is a good sign since most of the comments are positive.

Anyhow, I purchased the DMP-BD60 a week or two ago, and then went out a bought $250 worth of Blu Ray Discs to go with it. I haven't watched them all yet, but so far I've watched Transformers and have completed most of the Firefly television series. Still have the last Firefly disk, Serenity, and the Star Trek Original Series to watch (and now I see that I'll have to get Terminator and T2 as well).

I have a Pioneer Elite 50" Plasma, SC-05 receiver, and Artison Masterpiece LCR speakers with B&W M1 Surrounds (which aren't hooked up yet, so I'm watching in 3.1 mode currently). I have a Velodyne Optimium 12 sub.

So far the experience has been great. Transformers was a blast, the load times was relatively fast (haven't timed it, but I didn't notice much of a delay). Firefly loads much more slowly, but still looks great for the most part. There is some graininess, but I believe it is inherent in the film/video since it occurs mostly during darker scenes. I tried out my Matrix DVD, and it looked fine, but not really any better than my old HK DVD-22. I didn't watch long enough to see the layer change, so I'll have to look into that further.

I guess my review is pretty light on details so far, but just wanted to say that I am another proud owner and so far have had nothing but good exeperiences.

-AG
post #1183 of 8255 Old 05-22-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk21 View Post

By the way, those of you who are experiencing freezing, what is the manufacture date on your player? Mine is January 2009 (located on the back next to the serial number). It might be helpful if those of you who don't experience freezing post the date too.

Mine is March 2009. I think I will swap it for another one today or tomorrow.
post #1184 of 8255 Old 05-22-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhawk71 View Post

Mine is March 2009. I think I will swap it for another one today or tomorrow.

I guess that rules out a bad batch.
post #1185 of 8255 Old 05-22-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:

For what it's worth, my soon to be returned player was manufactured in March, as well.

I requested another exchange from Amazon (this is my second player with this problem), but they have decided not to send another unit. I can't say that I blame them, to be honest. I don't know that I would trust me either if the situation was reversed. (They are accepting the return, but won't ship a replacement.) I think I'm just going back to my PS3 and then will repurchase the player once the issue is finally resolved.
post #1186 of 8255 Old 05-22-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:

The one I got in exchange is also a March 2009 model - and the serial number is 215 lower than my last one, so it was probably manufactured before the one I had before - assuming they do those sequentially and not in batches or something.....

The Batch number on the box sticker is I135696, which I *think* was a later number than the batch number on the one I returned (think I checked in the store, but don't have it written down).
post #1187 of 8255 Old 05-22-2009, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewellgm View Post

For what it's worth, my soon to be returned player was manufactured in March, as well.

I requested another exchange from Amazon (this is my second player with this problem), but they have decided not to send another unit. I can't say that I blame them, to be honest. I don't know that I would trust me either if the situation was reversed. (They are accepting the return, but won't ship a replacement.) I think I'm just going back to my PS3 and then will repurchase the player once the issue is finally resolved.

What exactly is the problem? I missed it. My BD 60 works perfectly so far.
post #1188 of 8255 Old 05-22-2009, 01:36 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Posted by TommyV: What exactly is the problem? I missed it. My BD 60 works perfectly so far.

I, too would like to know. I have seen mention of "freezing". Exactly how does it "freeze"? Is it many discs? Most Discs?

I just returned my second Pioneer BDP-51FD and bought the Panasonic BD60. So far, I have only watched one disc (it was a movie that hung up in my Pioneer player, and would then skip thereafter-but it played in the Panny with nary a hiccup).
post #1189 of 8255 Old 05-22-2009, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 190
It's a brief pause, a few seconds long, during the movie. Very similar to layer change on DVDs. It's random and does not appear to be disc related or scene related. It is purely luck related.

Hopefully, Panasonic can figure it out and issue a firmware update.
post #1190 of 8255 Old 05-22-2009, 04:53 PM

Interesting read. I've been thinking about ordering this unit (605) online from Costco for $50 off and then read the comments about "the coupon". Went and checked the most recent mailer from Costco and son-of-a-gun there it is. Now the question is the unit problematic? Would you go and buy the unit today? I've already had a PS3 for BR purposes only and the fan noise led me to return it for warranty replacement and then sell it.
post #1191 of 8255 Old 05-22-2009, 05:44 PM

Well, I have thrown in a DVD for our son a little earlier and also watched a burned DVD of an hour's worth of home video without a problem on our replacement.

Just threw in T2 Skynet edition and it seems to be working fine as well.
post #1192 of 8255 Old 05-22-2009, 05:58 PM

sorry to ask a noob question...

my BD-60 HDMI audio is set to PCM as my receiver only accepts PCM HDMI audio(aint capable to decode)

I notice on my BD movies that have 5.1 DTS HD MA track... it been put thru AVR as PCM 7.1?? On my AVR shows as 7.1 ....weird??? and the sound is much focus-ed centrally... and not as dynamic as PS3??

I did a wrong setting ?? pls advise...
post #1193 of 8255 Old 05-22-2009, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leakwoon View Post

sorry to ask a noob question...

my BD-60 HDMI audio is set to PCM as my receiver only accepts PCM HDMI audio(aint capable to decode)

I notice on my BD movies that have 5.1 DTS HD MA track... it been put thru AVR as PCM 7.1?? On my AVR shows as 7.1 ....weird??? and the sound is much focus-ed centrally... and not as dynamic as PS3??

I did a wrong setting ?? pls advise...

That's a "feature" of the Panasonic dts-MA decoder. It duplicates the the surrounds to the rears to create a 7.1 output. It's not something you can turn on or off. It's just the way it is with DTS tracks on BD. But, if your receiver is configured for 5.1, the player should only output 5.1. Do you have a 7.1 system?
post #1194 of 8255 Old 05-22-2009, 06:41 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

POSTED BY leakwoon: my BD-60 HDMI audio is set to PCM as my receiver only accepts PCM HDMI audio(aint capable to decode)

I have a receiver that can accept bitstreamed audio. If I bitstream to the receiver, it shows as DTS HD MASTER, or DD TRUE HD. If I let the player do the decoding, my AVR shows as yours does.
post #1195 of 8255 Old 05-22-2009, 10:01 PM

I've got a 605 from Costco and saw my first pause two minutes in on my first Blu-Ray (Wall-E). I immediately rewound it and it didn't do it again in the same spot. It does remind you of a layer change on a lame DVD player.

April 2009 date of manufacture

So far, not annoying enough to return it, but if it happens regularly, we've got a problem.

-AndyW
post #1196 of 8255 Old 05-22-2009, 11:02 PM

OK clear.... btw i only have a 5.1 setup at home..

so on my AVR to show m-pcm 7.1 for DTS HD MA decode via PCM has not wrong

does it affect the "sound quality" ?? I feel the DTS HD MA is very focused to central now as compare to last time PS3 decode in PCM which is more "Surround-in details"

of just a placebo effect??
post #1197 of 8255 Old 05-22-2009, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leakwoon View Post

OK clear.... btw i only have a 5.1 setup at home..

so on my AVR to show m-pcm 7.1 for DTS HD MA decode via PCM has not wrong

I was under the impression that the HDMI handshake with a 5.1 AVR would prevent the player from outputting 7.1. If it's doing 7.1 anyway, then the AVR has to undo the channel duplication.

I use analog myself. So, perhaps someone else with a 5.1 system using PCM can tell you whether what you are seeing is normal with a BD60/80.

Quote:

does it affect the "sound quality" ?? I feel the DTS HD MA is very focused to central now as compare to last time PS3 decode in PCM which is more "Surround-in details"

I guess it could if your AVR isn't downmixing properly to eliminate the duplicated rear channels that you don't have.
post #1198 of 8255 Old 05-23-2009, 01:21 AM

I will try to make the AVR at 5.1....let's see how it goes ...

any more advice??
post #1199 of 8255 Old 05-23-2009, 06:28 AM

To get next-gen audio with a Blu-ray player, you'll need a receiver that has an HDMI connection or multichannel analog inputs. While you can use optical and coaxial digital connections to get standard Dolby Digital and DTS, they don't have the bandwidth to support the new, more detailed formats. If you have a newer receiver with decoding for the latest audio formats like Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, then your receiver will have an HDMI connection and this is what you'll want to use.

What if your receiver has an HDMI jack but doesn't have surround sound decoding for the new formats? Don't worry — many Blu-ray players can decode Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD internally. They then convert these formats to PCM, and send the PCM signal to your receiver via HDMI. (All HDMI-equipped receivers can decode PCM, so you don't need to worry about any compatibility issues if you choose this option.)
Multichannel audio connectors Multi-channel analog audio cables are a great solution for transferring high-resolution Blu-ray sound when an HDMI connection isn't available.

If your receiver doesn't have HDMI, then you'll need to connect your Blu-ray player using the multichannel analog outputs. This setup uses the player's internal surround sound decoder and outputs the signal as analog. When going this route, be sure to use good quality cables to minimize signal loss.

Also, as noted earlier, only a few players can decode DTS-HD High Resolution, and fewer still can decode DTS-HD Master Audio. So if you'd like to enjoy the latest versions of DTS, be sure your player can decode them, or use a receiver that does.
post #1200 of 8255 Old 05-23-2009, 06:34 AM

I'm a new owner of a BD60. I have had no problems, great picture and great sound. I am also using a wireless bridge for internet capability(DAP1522). I had a D-LINK tech walk me through the bridge setup, way to complicated for me. I have a panasonic plasma. Panasonic has really impressed me
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Panasonic Dmp Bd80k Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd60 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Panasonic

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page