post #1261 of 8257 Old 05-27-2009, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

I play the same movies in HD on my PC I can play on my Tivo S3. The picture certainly doen't look SD . There are tons of other products in HD for PC and I don't get why wouldn't Netflix work as well. One thing I know for sure, go to Netflix, select HD under "genres" on "instant watch" and it plays any movie just fine. The SD movies are basicaly unwatchable on my PC and at least there is a huge quality difference berween the "hd" and sd.

All HD movies can be seamlessly played as SD. That's why you have no problem on your PC. But they are SD for sure. No HD support for PC. If you ever used any Netflix hardware, XBox 360 for example, at the begining of a movie playback, when the player check for connection speed, it will tell you the movie is played in HD or not next to network quality indicator. Qualities of Netflix streaming varies a lot from title to title. I'm not that impressed PQ wise even for HD streaming on my XBox 360.

Again, there is no HD playback for PC. Period.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 8257 Old 05-27-2009, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
any chance they will "Fix" the DTS HD MA decode pcm

back to 5.1 and 7.1 individually?instead upscalling to 7.1 PCM at default?
post #1263 of 8257 Old 05-27-2009, 09:38 AM

I play skynet terminator 2 edition, the disk said support 6.1 dts master.

But it only show 5.1 dts master? still sound great, i am suprise how great of transfer of the disk, both pq and sq is top notch, i don't notice any digital noise perhaps cause of this player !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(My HD set up)
post #1264 of 8257 Old 05-27-2009, 09:48 AM

I don't had wire connection nearby, what kind of usb wireless adapter or wireless ethernal plug will work for this blu-ray player? i try xbox m740 adapter it won't work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(My HD set up)
post #1265 of 8257 Old 05-27-2009, 10:15 AM

I got my DB60 last week, watched the first movie on the original firmware, then the next two on the updated firmware. No freeze issues. Keeping my fingers crossed.

What do you guys do if you do get a freeze issue?
post #1266 of 8257 Old 05-27-2009, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugupo View Post

I don't had wire connection nearby, what kind of usb wireless adapter or wireless ethernal plug will work for this blu-ray player? i try xbox m740 adapter it won't work.

USB wireless adapter will not work because they require individual drivers. You need to purchased one of those wireless bridge or gaming adapters that converts wireless into wired ethernet connection and pre-configure them from a PC.
post #1267 of 8257 Old 05-27-2009, 10:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugupo View Post

i know you can change audio and subtitle in the display button, but is slow and take times. I rather had them in short cut.

Did you actually read 18 Brumaire's post? You change the audio track using the AUDIO button on the remote. Hard to get any simpler than that.

Yes, subtitle is buried in the Display menu. Odd choice, but there it is.

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #1268 of 8257 Old 05-27-2009, 10:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by leakwoon View Post

any chance they will "Fix" the DTS HD MA decode pcm

back to 5.1 and 7.1 individually?instead upscalling to 7.1 PCM at default?

Not likely. The BD80 "amplifies" DTS-HD 5.1 and 6.1 tracks to 7.1 over PCM and analog via DTS specifications. I don't think it's the only player that does this.

If you're configured for 5.1 on your receiver (or if you use bitstream instead of analog or PCM) then this issue should not affect you.

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #1269 of 8257 Old 05-27-2009, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylan13 View Post

Not likely. The BD80 "amplifies" DTS-HD 5.1 and 6.1 tracks to 7.1 over PCM and analog via DTS specifications. I don't think it's the only player that does this.

Chris - In the Pioneer 51/05 thread, walkamo says DTS requires channel duplication for 5.1 sources. But, in the Oppo thread, neuromancer says DTS requires it for analog, but not for PCM over HDMI. Meanwhile, the Sony players don't seem to do this at all. Rather curious. --Peter
post #1270 of 8257 Old 05-27-2009, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:

Did you actually read 18 Brumaire's post? You change the audio track using the AUDIO button on the remote. Hard to get any simpler than that.

Yes, subtitle is buried in the Display menu. Odd choice, but there it is.

-CB

I go to pop-up menu, setup, subtitles. Pretty simple.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #1271 of 8257 Old 05-27-2009, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Channel duplication makes sense for analog as majority of AVRs can't process multi-ch analog signals.

Channel duplication over HDMI is a dumb bug because it makes it useless for ppl with only HDMI 1.1 or 1.2 receivers.
post #1272 of 8257 Old 05-27-2009, 02:14 PM

Does anyone know who makes the DACs in the bd80 player?

Thanks
post #1273 of 8257 Old 05-27-2009, 02:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

I go to pop-up menu, setup, subtitles. Pretty simple.

S~

Yes, but you got mad skillz! I mean 4 whole button presses! How do you do it without going absolutely insane?

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #1274 of 8257 Old 05-27-2009, 03:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Chris - In the Pioneer 51/05 thread, walkamo says DTS requires channel duplication for 5.1 sources. But, in the Oppo thread, neuromancer says DTS requires it for analog, but not for PCM over HDMI. Meanwhile, the Sony players don't seem to do this at all. Rather curious. --Peter

I've talked to some of the DTS folks about this at trade shows (most recently at CES) and they told me that the DTS-HD 5.1 to 7.1 amplification was optional but in line with DTS specs. But I admit I didn't get into the finer points of HDMI/PCM vs. analog outputs. And (also unfortunately), DTS doesn't like to go "on record" about specific vendors' implementation of their codecs. It would be great if someone from DTS would speak out about this and let the world know when this 5.1 to 7.1 amplification could and "should" be used, but again, I don't think that's going to happen because it could conflict with what their customers are actually doing.

I've already been hung in effigy just for reporting why and how this was happening in the first place (BD55 owner's thread) and I'm not about to go down that path again. Now that another manufacturer is doing the same thing (Pioneer), I wonder if the bullet holes in the messenger will heal?

All I can say, based on my conversations with vendors and with DTS, is that "right" or "wrong," it is done in line with DTS specs. It will be interesting to see how the new Sony players handle it. And actually, I didn't even test this on the Samsung player but now I'm curious and will take a look at that.

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #1275 of 8257 Old 05-27-2009, 03:32 PM

What is the main different between DB 60 and 80?

I do had DB 605 from sams club,

Does DB 80 play mpeg2 file from the portable drive? does it has to be fat32 format? if i play those mpeg file will it the sound code comes from my receiver?

I do consider return the db 60 to get db 80 when price drop more if it can play mpeg file.

Is the picture and sound the same for both player? remote same?

(My HD set up)
post #1276 of 8257 Old 05-27-2009, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:

Yes, but you got mad skillz! I mean 4 whole button presses! How do you do it without going absolutely insane?

-CB

My 11 year old daughter (who is deaf) is an expert. She'll come in grab the remote and make the change in no time flat. She'll even use the Universal with the shortcut.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #1277 of 8257 Old 05-27-2009, 04:10 PM

Some player owner please help me. I just got BD80 and think its completely useless...for regular blu-rays or dvds it works fine. But when I tried a dual-layer dvd with xvid files, it told me "unsupported format", when I tried a regular dvd with mp3s, it didn't find them...I tried to upload the mp3s on a SD card and the player didn't find them...it did find pictures on the SD card, but no mp3s. I have no use for such a player, its even worse than my oldest shittiest dvd player, which can read everything.
post #1278 of 8257 Old 05-27-2009, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've talked to some of the DTS folks about this at trade shows (most recently at CES) and they told me that the DTS-HD 5.1 to 7.1 amplification was optional but in line with DTS specs. But I admit I didn't get into the finer points of HDMI/PCM vs. analog outputs. And (also unfortunately), DTS doesn't like to go "on record" about specific vendors' implementation of their codecs. It would be great if someone from DTS would speak out about this and let the world know when this 5.1 to 7.1 amplification could and "should" be used, but again, I don't think that's going to happen because it could conflict with what their customers are actually doing.

I've already been hung in effigy just for reporting why and how this was happening in the first place (BD55 owner's thread) and I'm not about to go down that path again. Now that another manufacturer is doing the same thing (Pioneer), I wonder if the bullet holes in the messenger will heal?

All I can say, based on my conversations with vendors and with DTS, is that "right" or "wrong," it is done in line with DTS specs. It will be interesting to see how the new Sony players handle it. And actually, I didn't even test this on the Samsung player but now I'm curious and will take a look at that.

-CB

When PS3 first implemented DTS-HD MA decoding, it did the similar thing. Owners complained and it was quickly fixed.

The problem with duplicate rear channels from 5.1 to 7.1 essentially makes owners of AVRs that can do THX or DPL IIx processing useless. THX or DPL IIx can do a much better job matrix .5.1 into 7.1 than this simple channel duplication.

So, as it sits right now, DTS-HD decoding is pretty much useless in these Panny players as majority of the DTS-HD MA releases are 5.1, not 7.1.

Samsung players that decode DTS-HD MA (2500 and newer models) do not have this problem. It correctly outputs DTS-HD MA 5.1 as LPCM 5.1, not 7.1.
post #1279 of 8257 Old 05-27-2009, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrejG View Post

Some I have no use for such a player, its even worse than my oldest shittiest dvd player, which can read everything.

Yeah, if you're not going to play Blu Ray discs, why both buy a blu ray player
post #1280 of 8257 Old 05-27-2009, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

When PS3 first implemented DTS-HD MA decoding, it did the similar thing. Owners complained and it was quickly fixed.

I don't recall seeing this problem last spring with the PS3 decoder. It downmixed a handful of 7.1 discs with non-standard surround speaker position flags and that was fixed. (The S550 still has that problem, though.)

Quote:
So, as it sits right now, DTS-HD decoding is pretty much useless in these Panny players as majority of the DTS-HD MA releases are 5.1, not 7.1.

For analog, that may be viewed as a feature, not a flaw, since very few AVRs can apply PLIIx to the analog inputs. But, for HDMI, duplication is definitely a drag.

Quote:
Samsung players that decode DTS-HD MA (2500 and newer models) do not have this problem. It correctly outputs DTS-HD MA 5.1 as LPCM 5.1, not 7.1.

The same goes for the Sonys. And, the Oppo apparently does duplication for analog but not HDMI.
post #1281 of 8257 Old 05-27-2009, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I already said in previous post that for analog, it is an ok feature. But I also got this channel duplication on my BD60 via HDMI which does not even have 7.1 analog output. I'd venture to say most ppl who bought BD80 instead BD60 are using 7.1 analog output. So, it is not a big deal for BD80 owners. But for us BD60 owners, it is an unforgiving bug. Fortunately, I have little use of internal decoding anyway. One more reason to stay with bitstream.
post #1282 of 8257 Old 05-27-2009, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

-CB

The Oppo BDP-83 apparently "upmixes" the 5.1 DTS-variant streams to 7.1 if you select "7.1 downmix" as the audio setting. If you select 5.1 downmix, then 5.1 is output, even for 7.1 (which is obviously desired). This is for the analog outs, the HDMI LPCM outs supposedly remain as 5.1 for 5.1 DTS signals, and are 7.1 for 7.1, etc, assuming your receiver is communicating 7.1 LPCM capabilities.

I'm not 100% sure about the above, since I do not own the Oppo, but that's what the manual indicates and is as I understand it as explained in the Owner's Thread.

IMHO the Oppo has the best solution, and it complies with the DTS rules of engagement about duplicating the rears for 5.1 -> 7.1.

IMHO, and especially AFAIK about the Oppo,

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #1283 of 8257 Old 05-27-2009, 06:55 PM

Just upgraded to the BD60 for $229 (thanks Costco) and it puts my Sony BDP-S300 (that I paid $549 for - OUCH!!!) to shame. The build quality isn't as nice, but the HDMI 1.3, speed and profile 1.1 & 2.0 are beautiful. Still not like my Panasonic DVD-S97, but someday Blu will catch up.

Anyways, is there anyway to key in the timecode of the scene you want to go to? I can do it on my Sony Blu-ray & Panny DVD, but can't seem to figure it out on the BD60. The manual looks like it can only jump to a scene or title via the number keys, but I can't get that to work, either, at least on Blu-rays and haven't tried DVDs. I have a movie I was watching on the Sony and I got 01:17:12 in and would like to resume at the same place...

One other question - I keep changing my HDMI setting to 1080p out and it keeps reverting to Auto. It retains all my other settings like 24 fps and such, but this keeps changing. Has it happened to anyone else?
post #1284 of 8257 Old 05-27-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:

The problem with duplicate rear channels from 5.1 to 7.1 essentially makes owners of AVRs that can do THX or DPL IIx processing useless. THX or DPL IIx can do a much better job matrix .5.1 into 7.1 than this simple channel duplication.

Agreed... what worried me is the SQ ... apparently AVR with HDMI 1.1 or 1.2 can be thrown into river soon
post #1285 of 8257 Old 05-27-2009, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Got my first freezing tonight watching Powder Blue, just once in the middle of the movie. Disk is brand new and never happened with my BD30. I rewinded a bit and it played OK, doesn't look like a disk problem and I hope it can be corrected with a new firmware. I hate "made in China" electronics...

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #1286 of 8257 Old 05-27-2009, 08:07 PM

Liked: 13
I strongly encourage anyone that has experienced the freezing issue to contact Panasonic (1-800-211-7262) and get a case number. The more calls they get about this issue the more effort they will put in to solving the problem. I called today, and yes it's a pain, but I spend enough time with various reps to convince them to refer the issue to their engineering department. They acted like they never heard of the problem, so call in.
post #1287 of 8257 Old 05-27-2009, 08:50 PM

Liked: 11
For all BD60/80 owners who are having freezing issues even tough that is a real issue at least (correct me if not) you can still use your player after the freeze. I mean I am traumatized with this freezing issues: first it happened with my PS3 and then after 3 freezes (at different days) it completely stop reading any disc and then with the Oppo BD-83 after the first freeze it completely stop reading any disc. At first I think it was a bad joke and couldn't even thought that the dreaded freeze/dead issues was happening to me again!
post #1288 of 8257 Old 05-27-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vemanoel View Post

As Blu-Ray images are wonderful in every player, is anybody using this player to see regular dvds and getting good results?

I find the BD60 gives very good upscaling, but as I have most of my DVDs stored as images on hard drive, I play them on a Netgear EVA-9150, which has much nicer upscaling...
post #1289 of 8257 Old 05-27-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc0203 View Post

I find the BD60 gives very good upscaling

Agreed. Very nice picture on the upscaled DVDs.
post #1290 of 8257 Old 05-28-2009, 12:46 AM

Quote:

Yeah, if you're not going to play Blu Ray discs, why both buy a blu ray player

It says it can play those files, on the package, so I, of course, expect the player to know more than to play blu-ray disks.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Panasonic Dmp Bd80k Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd60 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Panasonic

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page