Forum Jump: 

post #1441 of 8263 Old 06-02-2009, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

Is there anybody who didn't activate BD-Live ? (no ethernet connection). I'm trying to establish a pattern here.

My two BD60s that had the freezing problem were not connected to the internet. I have only played 1 movie on my BD605 (which is also not connected), so it's far too early to say whether the new player has an issue or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 8263 Old 06-02-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHXBR View Post

Both of my random freezes occurred with new blu-ray movie releases from Blockbuster.

The movies looked like they were in pristine condition, and I was the first one to get them from the store on Tuesday.

This still doesn't mean that the Blockbuster employees didn't view them first, or that there could be something wrong with the disc.

I also receive Blockbuster online movies as well as having a monthly pass.

At this point in time, given the current economic situation and the fact that I usually only view movies once, I'm only renting movies from here on out.

This increases the odds of some playback issues (freezing, skipping, wrong region code) significantly vs newly bought movies, IMO.

Every single blu-ray disc that I bought brand new in my collection, has played with NO freezing or incidents on my Panny BD80.

This still doesn't explain the random freezing problems others have experienced with newly purchased movies, but so far mine has only happened with rentals.

I still think it's premature to completely write off these Panasonic players due to some isolated random freezing incidents.

This almost amounts to hysterical paranoia, as people are considering not buying them at all, or returning there completely functional player just because it might happen to them.

EVERY PLAYER currently available including the PS3, which is suppose to play ALL dvd's or blu-ray's, has had some playback issues for certain individuals.

BOTTOM LINE is there is NO 100% functioning player that works for EVERYBODY!

I don't think people returning (or not even buying) the player is paranoia -- I think it's prudent. Given that the problem is intermittent, a lot of people may not even encounter the problem before their return window expires.

Although you mention that people are experiencing freezing on their own discs, you claim that rental discs are probably more likely to have problems. This certainly wasn't the case for me. Of 6 movies that froze, 4 of them were my own, and the other 2 were from Netflix. I keep my discs pristine, so there aren't any scratches on them. Plus, given the fact that I watched many more rentals than of my own discs during that time period, my own experience would indicate that rental discs are more reliable! Of course that isn't true, but I'm just trying to point out the fact this is more prevalent than you are giving it credit for.
post #1443 of 8263 Old 06-02-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfoot6 View Post

Hello all.

I picked up the BD-605K from Costco on Sunday.

We put in our son's favorite Bolt Blu-Ray and after the ads and previews, it kept quitting out on the load to main menu. I read today someone said to try disconnecting the ethernet port during this load period, I'll try that tonight.

I also bought a unit this weekend from Costco and had the same experience playing Bolt (it would quit during the load). I realized I hadn't put in a SD Card and it was trying to load some BD-Live content. I disabled the BD-Live content on the player and it worked fine (some annoying message kept popping up). I've since bought a SD Card and everything appears to be working fine now with the disc.
post #1444 of 8263 Old 06-02-2009, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
^^^^^^^^^^^^
That would explain why I didn't have a problem with Bolt. Had BD Live on and an SD card installed. sixfoot6's experience led me to think it was disk condition - had visions of PB&J on the "son's favorite disk" . Glad that wasn't the case.
post #1445 of 8263 Old 06-02-2009, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewellgm View Post

I don't think people returning (or not even buying) the player is paranoia -- I think it's prudent. Given that the problem is intermittent, a lot of people may not even encounter the problem before their return window expires.

Although you mention that people are experiencing freezing on their own discs, you claim that rental discs are probably more likely to have problems. This certainly wasn't the case for me. Of 6 movies that froze, 4 of them were my own, and the other 2 were from Netflix. I keep my discs pristine, so there aren't any scratches on them. Plus, given the fact that I watched many more rentals than of my own discs during that time period, my own experience would indicate that rental discs are more reliable! Of course that isn't true, but I'm just trying to point out the fact this is more prevalent than you are giving it credit for.

So according to you, the fact that there has been some reported "isolated freezing issues" by members on this forum, makes ALL of the players suspect and should be completely avoided, for fear it might happen to yours.

This is preposterous!!
If we all went on this type of assumption for every random isolated incident that occurs in electronics, most products won't be sold or purchased at all.

The amount of players with freezing incidents reported on this forum is only a small fraction of all the units sold and owned by the general public.
If this was a HUGE PROBLEM, the phone would be ringing off the hook at Panasonic, and there would a recall or notice by now.
I have also spoke to Panasonic and there has been NO freezing epidemic reported.

I realize that anybody who experiences a freezing problem or any problem with your player, is sensitive to this issue.
We all want reliable players that will play every disc without any playback incidents, but this not the case in the real world.

In regards to my reply about rental movies having potentially more problems than newly bought movies, I still think holds true for the most part.
Since your freezing incidents happened more with your own movies than with rentals, proves there are exceptions to everything.
post #1446 of 8263 Old 06-02-2009, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have experienced a few of the freezes on my BD80 running current firmware as well. I did email Panasonic about the occurrence and which discs they occurred on. I employ others to do the same. It's completely random, and yes it happens on non-rentals as well. So far, Prince Caspian, Dexter Season 2 Disc2, True Blood Disc 3 and one or 2 other titles that I can't remember. I can't repeat the freeze on any of the discs it has happened on. I don't think people should be dumping their players over this very minor occurrence. I would also like to say it has never happened on DVD playback with me just Blu-ray playback. I'm sure it's an easy firmware fix. I love this player too much and will be sticking by it due to Panasonics ability to correct problems with their players in the past. They have had excellent service with their firmware updates.
Hopefully enough people have notified them and they are on it!
post #1447 of 8263 Old 06-02-2009, 04:33 PM

I find the table on page 8 of the manual confusing. If I was trying the analog connection I would go completely nuts but luckily I have an HDMI receiver that accepts 96kHz PCM.

How do you tell the player that your A/V receiver is 5.1 instead of 7.1? Is there an easy way to turn the secondary audio on and off with the remote?
post #1448 of 8263 Old 06-02-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:

So according to you, the fact that there has been some reported "isolated freezing issues" by members on this forum, makes ALL of the players suspect and should be completely avoided, for fear it might happen to yours.

This is preposterous!!
If we all went on this type of assumption for every random isolated incident that occurs in electronics, most products won't be sold or purchased at all.

The amount of players with freezing incidents reported on this forum is only a small fraction of all the units sold and owned by the general public.
If this was a HUGE PROBLEM, the phone would be ringing off the hook at Panasonic, and there would a recall or notice by now.
I have also spoke to Panasonic and there has been NO freezing epidemic reported.

I realize that anybody who experiences a freezing problem or any problem with your player, is sensitive to this issue.
We all want reliable players that will play every disc without any playback incidents, but this not the case in the real world.

In regards to my reply about rental movies having potentially more problems than newly bought movies, I still think holds true for the most part.
Since your freezing incidents happened more with your own movies than with rentals, proves there are exceptions to everything.

This is still a new player, and is probably just now getting noticed by people in the market for standalone systems. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this issue is much more widespread than is currently known. If this problem were really that rare, getting 2 faulty players would be highly unlikely. Yet that is exactly what happened to me. I have only played a single Blu-ray in my 605, and it worked fine. Given my history with the 60, though, I won't feel comfortable after watching several other movies. Obviously, since I'm on my 3rd player, I'm not one of the people who have chosen not to purchase the system. (I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.) I wouldn't blame anybody else if they decided to hold off on the purchase or to look at other models/brands.

There have been several instances of people saying that they reported this problem to Panasonic. Each time, Panasonic has either not responded at all, or the person was told that they never heard of the issue. Of course Panasonic isn't going to claim there's an epidemic. How long did it take Microsoft to acknowledge that the Xbox 360 had "higher than normal" hardware failures? The current iterations of that system are probably a lot better, but the first several iterations were notorious for lockups. Although eventually extended the warranty on the systems, they never issued a recall.
post #1449 of 8263 Old 06-02-2009, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is still a new player, and is probably just now getting noticed by people in the market for standalone systems. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this issue is much more widespread than is currently known. If this problem were really that rare, getting 2 faulty players would be highly unlikely. Yet that is exactly what happened to me. I have only played a single Blu-ray in my 605, and it worked fine. Given my history with the 60, though, I won't feel comfortable after watching several other movies. Obviously, since I'm on my 3rd player, I'm not one of the people who have chosen not to purchase the system. (I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.) I wouldn't blame anybody else if they decided to hold off on the purchase or to look at other models/brands.

There have been several instances of people saying that they reported this problem to Panasonic. Each time, Panasonic has either not responded at all, or the person was told that they never heard of the issue. Of course Panasonic isn't going to claim there's an epidemic. How long did it take Microsoft to acknowledge that the Xbox 360 had "higher than normal" hardware failures? The current iterations of that system are probably a lot better, but the first several iterations were notorious for lockups. Although eventually extended the warranty on the systems, they never issued a recall.

I agree with your comment about you being a glutton for punishment.
Also based on the premise of your latest post, you are sounding more like a prevaricator spreading F.U.D.
Whats next, the freezing conspiracy and cover up?
Panagate??
post #1450 of 8263 Old 06-02-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:

I agree with your comment about you being a glutton for punishment.
Also based on the premise of your latest post, you are sounding more like a prevaricator spreading F.U.D.
Whats next, the freezing conspiracy and cover up?
Panagate??

I'm not spreading FUD, but simply saying my own experiences. I have nothing to gain from spreading FUD. If you'd like, I can post images of the receipts from Amazon and from Sam's Club. Simply sticking your head in the sand doesn't make a problem non-existent.

And, you've already admitted that you have experienced the problem on your own player, but only with rental discs. I guess that doesn't count, though.

If you're going to spend approximately $250 for a player, I would think that people would want it to be reliable. It has been extremely aggravating to be in the middle of the a movie and then to suddenly get pulled out of it. And since it is apparently random, you can start to wonder whether the movie you're currently watching will freeze at some point too. Even if it doesn't, it diminishes your pleasure of the movie. You can deride me for being too critical, but I have been burned twice. I hope the third time is the charm, but I certainly don't feel the need to say everything is wonderful with this line of players.
post #1451 of 8263 Old 06-02-2009, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not spreading FUD, but simply saying my own experiences. I have nothing to gain from spreading FUD. If you'd like, I can post images of the receipts from Amazon and from Sam's Club. Simply sticking your head in the sand doesn't make a problem non-existent.

And, you've already admitted that you have experienced the problem on your own player, but only with rental discs. I guess that doesn't count, though.

I have no intentions of continuing a jib jab duel, as this is getting off track from the real issue.
I certainly am not saying there is NO problem, just a random isolated problem with some players.
It's not an epidemic by any means and certainly doesn't warrant a total boycott like you are suggesting.
It does count that I have experienced two minor temporary freezes on my player, otherwise it's just hearsay.
I am not thrilled that these couple of freezes occurred on my player, but I certainly don't have any intentions of getting rid of my player, for F.U.D. it might happen again.
post #1452 of 8263 Old 06-02-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:

I have no intentions of continuing a jib jab duel, as this is getting off track from the real issue.
I certainly am not saying there is NO problem, just a random isolated problem with some players.
It's not an epidemic by any means and certainly doesn't warrant a total boycott like you are suggesting.
It does count that I have experienced two minor temporary freezes on my player, otherwise it's just hearsay.
I am not thrilled that these couple of freezes occurred on my player, but I certainly don't have any intentions of getting rid of my player, for F.U.D. it might happen again.

I don't intend to continue any bickering either. I do want to say though that I am not suggesting a total boycott. The fact that I still have a player should prove that. The sole intention of my original response was to say that I don't think it is ridiculous that other people are worried by these reports. They would be mistaken not to consider all of the facts.
post #1453 of 8263 Old 06-02-2009, 06:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 250
HiFiFun,

In case you're still reading this thread. I went to BB and bought a copy of T2 Skynet edition (on sale for $14). Played it on my BD60 connected to my Pioneer Elite 92 HDMI 1.3 receiver via HDMI. Tried both bitstream and PCM and I can't detect any difference between the two other than the known issues, e.g. my receiver will show DTS-HD MA 5.1 when bitstream and Panny will send out LPCM 7.1 when decoding. I'm not sure what is cause your problem but I'd bet it is something to do with the configuration of your receiver. As you stated, PS3 has a lot of options to tweak and it can often override/force a HDMI audio output regardless of your receiver's reported capability. This kind of tweakability is not often found in standalone players. However, if all components are setup correctly, such options are normally not needed.
post #1454 of 8263 Old 06-02-2009, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't intend to continue any bickering either. I do want to say though that I am not suggesting a total boycott. The fact that I still have a player should prove that. The sole intention of my original response was to say that I don't think it is ridiculous that other people are worried by these reports. They would be mistaken not to consider all of the facts.

Ok, glad to hear you are not for a total boycott as this is not what I got out of one of your earlier replys: Quote " I don't think people returning (or not even buying) the player is paranoia -- I think it's prudent."

I will agree with you on your latest reply that this random freezing issue with some players warrants concern and needs to be tracked.
Anybody experiencing these issues or others should report them to Panasonic ASAP.
I also agree anybody considering a new player should ALWAYS consider ALL of the facts, good and bad.
post #1455 of 8263 Old 06-02-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18 Brumaire View Post

I think I will end up returning mine. I have not had freezing yet, but it is probably only a matter of time, and I do not want to get stuck with it after my 30-day window closes. I returned two Pioneers before buying this one. Does anyone know of a Blu-ray player (other than a PS3 and this player) that really works-at least for most people? Maybe it will cost more, but it is looking as if sub $300 Blu-ray players just aren't finished yet.

I exchanged my Panasonic BD60 for the Sony 360 at BB. The Panasonic had a freeze on 2 out of 2 discs. Have had zero problems with the Sony so far. Same net price for the Sony.

DaveG
post #1456 of 8263 Old 06-02-2009, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamos View Post

I exchanged my Panasonic BD60 for the Sony 360 at BB. The Panasonic had a freeze on 2 out of 2 discs. Have had zero problems with the Sony so far. Same net price for the Sony.

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with your BD60.

Glad you are now happy with your Sony.

How is the eject button working on your remote, and how did your latest firmware workout?

Oh, I forgot you don't have one.

I had the previous Sony 550 player, and conducted side by side comparisons with my Panny BD 80.

The BD 80's PQ was slightly better, and the AQ was MUCH better than the Sony, using the 7.1 analog connections.

I returned the Sony and kept the Panasonic.

Still happy to this day I did.
post #1457 of 8263 Old 06-03-2009, 12:16 AM

Just watched National Treasure 2 on my BD60 - looked and sounded great.

I haven't had a pausing/freezing problem with the second machine once I bypassed the Yamaha 661 receiver and went straight to the TV (Sammy HL-T5687) with HDMI for video (should have tried that with the first one but I didn't - that may have been the problem with that one, too). Audio is hooked up via toslink using bitstream. It performes perfectly now, and I have played parts or all of several movies since then, including T2 Skynet Edition.

I think some of the problems (at least mine, and I would presume others) might be related to the hardware you are hooking up to and not necessarily the player itself..... I assume that either some of these can be bypassed (like I did) or can be resolved with firmware updates.

I am perfectly happy with this player.
post #1458 of 8263 Old 06-03-2009, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 24
the 1.7 update is now online and you able to download from the player for both the 60 and 80.

Jacob
http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/bd/index.html
post #1459 of 8263 Old 06-03-2009, 04:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Hopefully, this 1.7 resolves freezing problem.
post #1460 of 8263 Old 06-03-2009, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbryant View Post

I have experienced a few of the freezes on my BD80 running current firmware as well. I did email Panasonic about the occurrence and which discs they occurred on. I employ others to do the same.

I think the word you're looking for is implore because if you're offering jobs here, there are a lot of people who would take up your offer.
post #1461 of 8263 Old 06-03-2009, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Hopefully, this 1.7 resolves freezing problem.

Anyone know if there are release notes for this firmware? I was interested in getting one of these players, and I'm hoping the freezing problems have been corrected.
post #1462 of 8263 Old 06-03-2009, 07:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Release notes is one liners: BD playability.

Upgraded this morning. Have to do it twice because the first disc won't load the firmware correctly. So far so good. Can't see anything changed.
post #1463 of 8263 Old 06-03-2009, 07:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Release notes is one liners: BD playability.

Upgraded this morning. Have to do it twice because the first disc won't load the firmware correctly. So far so good. Can't see anything changed.

Has Amazon on Demand shown up yet on the players? It has been in the TV version of VIERA Cast for a few weeks already. I haven't upgraded firmware on our BD80 recently (and our BD70V is still in the box awaiting a review).

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #1464 of 8263 Old 06-03-2009, 07:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Sorry, forgot to check that. Hopefully someone else can verify it.
post #1465 of 8263 Old 06-03-2009, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
No Amazon yet with 1.7. Still You Tube and Picassa.
post #1466 of 8263 Old 06-03-2009, 09:06 AM

Well, if the firmware fixes the freezing problem (which hopefully someone can confirm) and/or someone talks me up some more, I may pull the trigger on getting the BD60 as soon as today!
post #1467 of 8263 Old 06-03-2009, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If it does indeed fix the freezing, you will have to wait a bit longer to get confirmation because it is a random freezing, not exactly easy to re-produce.
post #1468 of 8263 Old 06-03-2009, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I have had some pausing (not freezing whereby the player is locked and cannot go further) since I got the BD60 player last week from Best Buy for $249. I cleaned the few very discs this happened with, it didn't happen again, and I do understand it is a random thing. Point being I've tried LOTS of BDs since last week, with no continual problem.

Check the latest reviews from HTF. LOL, I'm returning the Sony S360 I've tried and I'm keeping the Panny BD60 at this point where someone else did the reverse posted on this thread. The BD60 is better IMHO, especially for SD DVD playback.
post #1469 of 8263 Old 06-03-2009, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloenvy View Post

I also bought a unit this weekend from Costco and had the same experience playing Bolt (it would quit during the load). I realized I hadn't put in a SD Card and it was trying to load some BD-Live content. I disabled the BD-Live content on the player and it worked fine (some annoying message kept popping up). I've since bought a SD Card and everything appears to be working fine now with the disc.

How do you disalble the BD-live function on this player?

Thanks!
post #1470 of 8263 Old 06-03-2009, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I don't know if its just me or not. I think it sound better when playing movies. I barely had to have my onkyo 605 to 30 and I could hear stuff after the update.

Jacob
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Panasonic Dmp Bd80k Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd60 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Panasonic

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page