Foxbat:

cool ; Thanks!!!
post #1503 of 8256 Old 06-03-2009, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
anyone play with the video settings of normal/fine/cinema yet?
does it make a worthwhile difference?

I just have it on "normal" right now...
I do need a "real" BD disc , damn!
post #1504 of 8256 Old 06-03-2009, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabhalta View Post

Hi, I just set up my BD60 and have it connected via HDMI to my Marantz sr8002. I have HDMI audio turned to on but don't seem to be getting dolby surround on my dvd's (have only tried with regular dvd's as don't own any blue-ray yet). My receiver displays just an analog signal with no indication of dolby etc etc (my sky box connected via coax shows dolby surround).

Do I need to connect the bd60 via digital optical to get surround sound? I was under the impression is should be capable via HDMI? Sorry if this is obvious or asked before, I'm a total noob and did try to search threat. Thanks.

HDMI audio on in the player or the Marantz? If on in the marantz, then turn it off. What will happen is the player will handshake with the TV which only accepts 2 channel PCM.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #1505 of 8256 Old 06-03-2009, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

What are your settings for the DD and DTS outputs? You can set them to bitstream or PCM. PCM would produce a stereo output.

Over HDMI, PCM will output 5.1 not stereo for DVD.
post #1506 of 8256 Old 06-03-2009, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasher123 View Post

anyone play with the video settings of normal/fine/cinema yet?
does it make a worthwhile difference?

I just have it on "normal" right now...
I do need a "real" BD disc , damn!

I have mine set on normal. My Samsung is set to cinema. See which you like best.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #1507 of 8256 Old 06-03-2009, 05:07 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Secondary audio only matters for lossless audio from Blu-ray. It isn't involved in regular DD 5.1 or DTS from a DVD.

I don't see how you would ever get an analog indication from an HDMI connection. ??? Perhaps you mean PCM?

What are your settings for the DD and DTS outputs? You can set them to bitstream or PCM. PCM would produce a multichannel output, which is fine. Bitstream sends the encoded track to your receiver. Bitstream will make it work the way you want.

Thanks to all for the input, problem was with my receiver. It was set to pass through the hdmi audio (to the tv) rather than to enable hdmi audio input. Thanks again.
post #1508 of 8256 Old 06-03-2009, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Over HDMI, PCM will output 5.1 not stereo for DVD.

Yes. I was thinking optical. My post has been fixed.
post #1509 of 8256 Old 06-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks.
Is it possible on the BD 60 to have HDMI audio out AND 2-ch stereo analog out enabled at the same time?
post #1510 of 8256 Old 06-03-2009, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Well I can confirm that 1.7 does indeed fix the audio dropouts in Twilight. I had watched the movie 3 times before today and there were numerous drops every time. After updating to 1.7...not one single drop from beginning to end.

No freezes either...although this title never exhibited that problem. One problem solved for sure though.
post #1511 of 8256 Old 06-03-2009, 05:58 PM

Even though I have a PS3, I picked up the 60 -- nice player, sound clearly improved and all I'm using is an optical cable. Picture is better than the PS3, and the machine is quieter, but the PS3 has much faster loads on the few disks I've tried so far.
post #1512 of 8256 Old 06-03-2009, 06:19 PM

Just returned Sony S360 for Panasonic BD60, and both are good players, but personally prefer the BD60 picture on my Vizio VF550XVT. Was wondering if anyone can help newbie with audio setup? Using an old Panasonice home theater system SC-HT700 for now, and have only hooked up cable box, TV, and now Bluray audio using old red/white(right/left) audio cables. My receiver does have one digital optical audio in, but no coaxial. Thinking about not only connecting audio out from Bluray to receiver via digital optical, but if it's that much better, maybe getting splitter and connecting cable box, TV, and Bluray for now until I decide on new home theater. Seems like relatively inexpensive solution for now. Any thoughts from the experts? Will I hear noticeable difference (especially Bluray) or will I be disappointed with similar sound?

Thanks
post #1513 of 8256 Old 06-03-2009, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Anything is better than your white/read connection. At least optical cable can give you 5.1 DD or DTS surround sound. Your R/W analog cable only gives you stereo (maybe downmixed). However you will still not get full benefits of advanced BD audio codecs like TrueHD or DTS-HD MA via optical. For that you will need a HDMI receiver.
post #1514 of 8256 Old 06-03-2009, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasher123 View Post

Thanks.
Is it possible on the BD 60 to have HDMI audio out AND 2-ch stereo analog out enabled at the same time?

2-ch stereo analog out is on all the time regardless you use HDMI or not.
post #1515 of 8256 Old 06-03-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:

Anything is better than your white/read connection. At least optical cable can give you 5.1 DD or DTS surround sound. Your R/W analog cable only gives you stereo (maybe downmixed). However you will still not get full benefits of advanced BD audio codecs like TrueHD or DTS-HD MA via optical. For that you will need a HDMI receiver.

Any suggesstions on HDMI receiver?
post #1516 of 8256 Old 06-03-2009, 10:31 PM

I just picked up a BD60. Online update was a piece of cake. Loads are a bit faster and there is less fan noise than my BD30. Video quality is noticeably better than the BD30 for Blu-Ray. Wall-E was just mind-boggling, as was Hellboy 2. Pans Labyrinth had a breathtakingly natural tone to the forests, and skin tones were great.

For SD, as previously noted, you have to manually engage 24p playback with every disc. SD is better than the BD30, but is quite inferior to my Reon-based XA2, or just running native SD into my Integra processor which also uses Reon. While there are no tearing artifacts, the processing is just nowhere near as clean.

The 7.1 upconversion from 5.1 high def codecs works really well, giving a rounder depth of field and great front to back transitions.

I have tried playing with the re-mastering. It seems that it doesn't just up-convert to 96KHz, but it also brightens the sound a bit, which is a pity. Ideally there would be upconversion without messing with the frequency/time domain response. Wonder what they were thinking?

All in all, it's a solid upgrade to the BD30. It's kind of amazing they've gone through three generations of player in only 12 months.

Dan

------------------------------------

Writing about music is like dancing about architecture.
post #1517 of 8256 Old 06-03-2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamos View Post

OK, Blu-ray players are computers. In the same way new cars are computers, or microwave ovens, or televisions, or cable boxes, or receivers. We expect all these devices to work properly out-of-the box. Why should blu ray be any different? Blu-ray does not market itself as a computer or even as an emerging technology. BD should work as well or better than DVD--after all it is a lot more expensive. I know I was a little disturbed the first time I opened a blu ray disc that had a sheet inside that said I should check my player manufacturer for a firmware update before I played the disc. All these new devices use computer technology to work. I think it is fair to expect a technology like bluray to perform as advertised.

Firmware updates are ok for upgrades to the technology, but should not be needed for the basics, such as playing a blu-ray dvd.

Just my 2 cents.

Hey, if your car or microwave or whatever depended on something written in Java to be inserted in order to run, I would agree with you. However, gas is gas (for the most part) and all the electricity going into a microwave is pretty much the same from the microwave's point of view.

I agree that things should run right out of the box. However, just about anything that runs on code might need updating, and I for one am glad that Panasonic seems to be on top of releasing regular updates to improve their product. It is simple and easy. Why all the complaining?
post #1518 of 8256 Old 06-04-2009, 12:46 AM

there is a person on a other forum who had freezes with Da Vinci Code with firmware 1.5, he installed the new firmware 1.7 and...still freezing!!!
post #1519 of 8256 Old 06-04-2009, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhawk71 View Post

I agree that things should run right out of the box. However, just about anything that runs on code might need updating, and I for one am glad that Panasonic seems to be on top of releasing regular updates to improve their product. It is simple and easy. Why all the complaining?

I think the complaining in regards to the freezing issue is a bit more than just updating the java compiler in the player. Seven firmware revisions later the problem appears to still be present in the player which suggests that it is a bit more serious than a simple firmware update can address. As a buyer in the market for my first Blu-Ray player, I have taken the DMP-BD60 off my list for now (and it was my first choice) because of this very issue. I have no problem updating the firmware if a new disc requires it, but I would expect older discs to play fine and it appears that just isn't the case for many owners at this point.

-Dave
post #1520 of 8256 Old 06-04-2009, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kef3005 View Post

there is a person on a other forum who had freezes with Da Vinci Code with firmware 1.5, he installed the new firmware 1.7 and...still freezing!!!

If it is repeatable, it's more likely a disc issue.
post #1521 of 8256 Old 06-04-2009, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccav View Post

Any suggesstions on HDMI receiver?

Go to receiver forum to find out.
post #1522 of 8256 Old 06-04-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:

If it is repeatable, it's more likely a disc issue.

The original post wasn't clear enough. If the freeze was in the same location, then it very well could be a disc issue. If the freeze occurred somewhere else, though, then it still sounds like the problem several of us have been experiencing.

Maybe we should think of a catchy name for this problem to quickly identify it. Examples of other (but more "fatal") problems are RROD and BSOD. What about RFO60? Random Freeze of BD60?
post #1523 of 8256 Old 06-04-2009, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Why don't you just install v1.7 and let us know if it is still freezing/pausing. Name isn't important.

I only encountered one pause out of my dozen or so Netflix rentals in the past on v1.5. However, I also didn't have much time sit down watch an entire movie in one session recently as I did before. It's probably gonna take me another week or so to go through a few BD movies.
post #1524 of 8256 Old 06-04-2009, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewellgm View Post

The original post wasn't clear enough. If the freeze was in the same location, then it very well could be a disc issue. If the freeze occurred somewhere else, though, then it still sounds like the problem several of us have been experiencing.

Maybe we should think of a catchy name for this problem to quickly identify it. Examples of other (but more "fatal") problems are RROD and BSOD. What about RFO60? Random Freeze of BD60?

Yes, our most common problem here is the RF060 and it's important to say it is random and doesn't repeat on the same disk or same point. Recurring problem on the same disk/point is a different issue and happens with other players as well. I did the update but had no time to watch anything yet.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #1525 of 8256 Old 06-04-2009, 09:58 AM

Into my second week as a first time BR player owner. No freezing issues yet (watch, I probably just jinxed it) and have been loving my BD60/Panny 50" plasma connection. I check this thread several times a day and have to chuckle at times at the exchanges.

People can argue all day about the "perfect" player but I suppose that all players, regardless of brand, have their own little eccentricities, and problems. Coming from the DVD world where there are no such quirks as failing to play certain discs and "load time issues" it has been a bit of an adjustment at times for me. I do suppose that the most frustrating thing for me so far is the "Stop the movie, be prepared to start the whole thing over, Buddy" reality. I realize that this is because of the Java encoding that give BR discs extra features and other coolness and that it is probably on all BR players, at least in this price range. But darn, you could not only stop and start DVD movies on my old $60 Sony. You could pop them out, play 5 or 6 movies in-between, put back in the original movie and it would start exactly where you left off. Cool. But maybe this will be a feature in generation 5 or 6 of BR players. In the meantime I'll just keep digging the amazing PQ on this one and call myself lucky to have it...
post #1526 of 8256 Old 06-04-2009, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

where the heck is this FW 1.7 for BD 60 you guys talk about ??? i was just about to do the 1.5 upgrade ...

where do i find that? can't see it on Panny site
thanks.

do i still need to do 1.5 anyway, even if i do the 1.7 ???
post #1527 of 8256 Old 06-04-2009, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Use the link from this post several pages back.

No, if you haven't done the 1.5 upgrade, you can just jump straight to 1.7. Firmware updates are a full software replacement, not an object "add-on" type of structure.
post #1528 of 8256 Old 06-04-2009, 12:06 PM

Hi,

I am experiencing picture quality issues with my new DMP-BD60 connected to my Panasonic 42PZ85U through an HDMI cable. The quality has not been great. It seems to have worse picture quality when showing DVDs (as compared to my old Sony progressive-scan DVD player). Even for Blu-Ray discs, the quality does not seem to be as good as I would have expected. The quality for Planet Earth Blu-Ray has been good, but other discs (Sex and the City, Dark Knight) display poorly compared to the picture quality with HD cable channels. I have tried returning the original unit and getting a replacement, but the quality has remained the same.

How can I diagnose what the problem is? I've been unable to figure out if there are any settings that I can adjust either on the BD-60 or the TV. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

If this issue has already been dealt with in this forum earlier, I'd appreciate getting a link to any suggested solutions.

Thanks.
post #1529 of 8256 Old 06-04-2009, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
I have the BD60 connected to an Onkyo 876. In terms of blu ray audio, I assume it is better to bitstream the audio for the 876 to decode rather than let the BD60 do the decoding?

Put another way, is the audio decoding on the 876 better than the BD60?
post #1530 of 8256 Old 06-04-2009, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchong View Post

I have the BD60 connected to an Onkyo 876. In terms of blu ray audio, I assume it is better to bitstream the audio for the 876 to decode rather than let the BD60 do the decoding?

Put another way, is the audio decoding on the 876 better than the BD60?

The decoding is/should be the same. What you might gain by bitstreaming is the ability to add some post-processing that you may not be able to with the player decoding.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Panasonic Dmp Bd80k Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd60 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Panasonic

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page