AVS Forum banner
1M views 8K replies 1K participants last post by  Tesla1856 
#1 ·
After reading of the improved Panasonic color processing, I wanted to months ago purchase the BD-35 Blu-ray/DVD player. But because they were impossible to find I purchased the BD-60 the first day they were availible.

As I've owned a Sony PS3 for several years it was only natural that I compare it to the BD-60.

Pixel Processing Gets Better

--------------------------

Why not state the findings first?

The Panasonic DMP-BD60 Blu-ray/dvd player's image quality is superior to the Sony PS3. It mates especially well with my Samsung 950's larger color gamut by (re)generating a tangy, lustrous wider spectrum colors with added clarity and detail. Standard Dvd playback at 24p is enhanced too. Simply set the player to output 24p and picture to "fine".

It is well known that the color portion of an image is sampled much less than the luminance. Original studies dating back in the 1950's gave justification for lowering this sample rate. Can we see the ill effects of using this lower color sampling rate, especially with the new wider LED color gamut displays? Easily. So what can be done to restore the original pixel-level integrity?

A solution is provided in Panasonic HD/DVD players:

The Panasonic Hollywood Laboratories PHL Reference Chroma Processor studies and improves restoration, color correction, compression and digital conversion, then up-samples (4:2:0 to 4:2:2) the color information in decoded video signals. The unique PHL Reference Chroma Processor Plus expresses the fine details and nuances of movie scenes by reproducing clearer color boundaries, providing all the qualities that a Blu-ray (and DVD) disc has to offer.

P⁴HD (Pixel Precision Progressive Processing for HD) Technology

To get the best high definition images from a Blu-ray (and DVD) disc, you need a player that renders high-quality progressive images, expresses motion smoothly, and draws sharp diagonal lines. The Panasonic-unique P4HD technology processes more than 15 billion pixels per second, generating each pixel correctly according to information obtained from up to 60 surrounding pixels, and applies the optimum processing to every pixel in the video data on the disc. The result is images with exceptional resolution. (Note: for optimal PQ set players output to 24p).

Compare all this technology which does make a noticeable improvement in picture quality to reviewers who still rate a player based upon its largely obsolete de-interlacing capability.

In just a day of ownership I find no downsides to the BD-60. Any bugs were fixed in the BD-35. It is a pleasure to use!

It uses less power, is quieter but is not a full fledged media server. (PS3 owners should download the "PS3 Media Server" application. Its awesome!).

It has an Ethernet port finally allowing for convenient updates.

Lastly I don't see how the Oppo 83 can compete with the unique image processing provided by these Panasonic. Pricewise the tables are turned with the Oppo having a 40% higher MSRP. We won't even mention technical and human interface bugs.

Without a doubt the BD-60 is the player to beat. I do not recommend paying extra for the analog outputs of the BD-80, as virtually all receivers and A/V controllers are equipped with HDMI inputs.

Update 8-7-2009

Consumer Reports Rates the Panasonic 80 even with the Oppo 83

--------------------------------------------------------------

Oppo BDP-83 Score: 83 Price: $500

"It's a "universal" player that can play all types of discs, including high-resolution (mostly obsolete) SACDs and DVD-Audio titles."

Panasonic DMP-BD80 Score: 83 Price $350

CR's Take

"This Panasonic Blu-ray player offers excellent overall performance. It includes Panasonic's VieraCast online service, for access to videos from YouTube, digital photos from Picasa, and soon, Amazon Video on Demand. It has internal decoding of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD lossless audio, and 7.1-channel analog outputs. It includes an SD card slot and can play back AVCHD video files.

Highs

Excellent HD picture quality with Blu-ray discs, and excellent picture quality from standard DVDs. It's a BD-Live-ready model with an Ethernet port, and can access extra Web-based content from movie studio servers, or download firmware updates. A USB port provides access to photos, videos, and music stored on a USB flash drive.

Lows

Requires an optional 1GB SD card for BD-Live feature. It was unable to load a badly damaged Blu-ray disc that other players could handle."

---

Note: Members with HDMI receivers should instead consider the Panasonic DMP-BD60 which omits the legacy analog outputs. The Panasonic DMP-BD60 and its clones have a current street price of $200. This would have made the product an obvious "best buy" had CR tested it rather than the 80.

Panasonic DMP-BD60 MyScore: 83 Price $200*

*An AVS Best Buy

See less See more
#1,281 ·
I already said in previous post that for analog, it is an ok feature. But I also got this channel duplication on my BD60 via HDMI which does not even have 7.1 analog output. I'd venture to say most ppl who bought BD80 instead BD60 are using 7.1 analog output. So, it is not a big deal for BD80 owners. But for us BD60 owners, it is an unforgiving bug. Fortunately, I have little use of internal decoding anyway. One more reason to stay with bitstream.

#1,282 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by boylan13 /forum/post/16537665

I've talked to some of the DTS folks about this at trade shows (most recently at CES) and they told me that the DTS-HD 5.1 to 7.1 amplification was optional but in line with DTS specs. But I admit I didn't get into the finer points of HDMI/PCM vs. analog outputs. And (also unfortunately), DTS doesn't like to go "on record" about specific vendors' implementation of their codecs. It would be great if someone from DTS would speak out about this and let the world know when this 5.1 to 7.1 amplification could and "should" be used, but again, I don't think that's going to happen because it could conflict with what their customers are actually doing.

I've already been hung in effigy just for reporting why and how this was happening in the first place (BD55 owner's thread) and I'm not about to go down that path again. Now that another manufacturer is doing the same thing (Pioneer), I wonder if the bullet holes in the messenger will heal?

All I can say, based on my conversations with vendors and with DTS, is that "right" or "wrong," it is done in line with DTS specs. It will be interesting to see how the new Sony players handle it. And actually, I didn't even test this on the Samsung player but now I'm curious and will take a look at that.

-CB

The Oppo BDP-83 apparently "upmixes" the 5.1 DTS-variant streams to 7.1 if you select "7.1 downmix" as the audio setting. If you select 5.1 downmix, then 5.1 is output, even for 7.1 (which is obviously desired). This is for the analog outs, the HDMI LPCM outs supposedly remain as 5.1 for 5.1 DTS signals, and are 7.1 for 7.1, etc, assuming your receiver is communicating 7.1 LPCM capabilities.

I'm not 100% sure about the above, since I do not own the Oppo, but that's what the manual indicates and is as I understand it as explained in the Owner's Thread.

IMHO the Oppo has the best solution, and it complies with the DTS rules of engagement about duplicating the rears for 5.1 -> 7.1.

IMHO, and especially AFAIK about the Oppo,

shinksma

#1,283 ·
Just upgraded to the BD60 for $229 (thanks Costco) and it puts my Sony BDP-S300 (that I paid $549 for - OUCH!!!) to shame. The build quality isn't as nice, but the HDMI 1.3, speed and profile 1.1 & 2.0 are beautiful. Still not like my Panasonic DVD-S97, but someday Blu will catch up.

Anyways, is there anyway to key in the timecode of the scene you want to go to? I can do it on my Sony Blu-ray & Panny DVD, but can't seem to figure it out on the BD60. The manual looks like it can only jump to a scene or title via the number keys, but I can't get that to work, either, at least on Blu-rays and haven't tried DVDs. I have a movie I was watching on the Sony and I got 01:17:12 in and would like to resume at the same place...

One other question - I keep changing my HDMI setting to 1080p out and it keeps reverting to Auto. It retains all my other settings like 24 fps and such, but this keeps changing. Has it happened to anyone else?

#1,284 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 /forum/post/16537989

When PS3 first implemented DTS-HD MA decoding, it did the similar thing. Owners complained and it was quickly fixed.

The problem with duplicate rear channels from 5.1 to 7.1 essentially makes owners of AVRs that can do THX or DPL IIx processing useless. THX or DPL IIx can do a much better job matrix .5.1 into 7.1 than this simple channel duplication.

So, as it sits right now, DTS-HD decoding is pretty much useless in these Panny players as majority of the DTS-HD MA releases are 5.1, not 7.1.

Samsung players that decode DTS-HD MA (2500 and newer models) do not have this problem. It correctly outputs DTS-HD MA 5.1 as LPCM 5.1, not 7.1.

Agreed... what worried me is the SQ ... apparently AVR with HDMI 1.1 or 1.2 can be thrown into river soon

#1,285 ·
Got my first freezing tonight watching Powder Blue, just once in the middle of the movie. Disk is brand new and never happened with my BD30. I rewinded a bit and it played OK, doesn't look like a disk problem and I hope it can be corrected with a new firmware. I hate "made in China" electronics...

#1,286 ·
I strongly encourage anyone that has experienced the freezing issue to contact Panasonic (1-800-211-7262) and get a case number. The more calls they get about this issue the more effort they will put in to solving the problem. I called today, and yes it's a pain, but I spend enough time with various reps to convince them to refer the issue to their engineering department. They acted like they never heard of the problem, so call in.

#1,287 ·
For all BD60/80 owners who are having freezing issues even tough that is a real issue at least (correct me if not) you can still use your player after the freeze. I mean I am traumatized with this freezing issues: first it happened with my PS3 and then after 3 freezes (at different days) it completely stop reading any disc and then with the Oppo BD-83 after the first freeze it completely stop reading any disc. At first I think it was a bad joke and couldn't even thought that the dreaded freeze/dead issues was happening to me again!

#1,288 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vemanoel /forum/post/16526077

As Blu-Ray images are wonderful in every player, is anybody using this player to see regular dvds and getting good results?

I find the BD60 gives very good upscaling, but as I have most of my DVDs stored as images on hard drive, I play them on a Netgear EVA-9150, which has much nicer upscaling...

#1,291 ·
Well, I did finally purchase the BD60 and here are my impressions.

I got to A/B it with my PS3 on my Sony 40w4000 and rest assured it did great in almost every deparment disregarding player/tray noise.

I felt that the BD60 was maybe a notch better than the PS3 during dvd upscaling, more pop to the colors whereas the PS3 had a flatter picture. The BD PQ were as far as I could tell very similar.

Now for the reason I returned the BD60; the player and tray noise. Especially during dvd's there was a high pitched buzzing during disc spinning, very annoying to my ears and very audible at quieter parts in the movie. The BD playback was not plagued by the high pitched buzzing, but the fan revved up and in league with the spinning noise of the tray, the noise was audible during quiet scenes (comparable to the PS3 fan level 1).

So I'll be keeping the PS3, and keep looking for a more silent BDP. I've got my eyes on the Oppo bd83 and the pioneer 320.

#1,292 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower79 /forum/post/16539968

Well, I did finally purchase the BD60 and here are my impressions.

I got to A/B it with my PS3 on my Sony 40w4000 and rest assured it did great in almost every deparment disregarding player/tray noise.

I felt that the BD60 was maybe a notch better than the PS3 during dvd upscaling, more pop to the colors whereas the PS3 had a flatter picture. The BD PQ were as far as I could tell very similar.

Now for the reason I returned the BD60; the player and tray noise. Especially during dvd's there was a high pitched buzzing during disc spinning, very annoying to my ears and very audible at quieter parts in the movie. The BD playback was not plagued by the high pitched buzzing, but the fan revved up and in league with the spinning noise of the tray, the noise was audible during quiet scenes (comparable to the PS3 fan level 1).

So I'll be keeping the PS3, and keep looking for a more silent BDP. I've got my eyes on the Oppo bd83 and the pioneer 320.

Man, you must be joking. PS3 is so loud it drives me crazy. After 20-30 minutes its annoying even during action scenes, quiet scenes are not possible to watch, as I can't hear the dialogues. I bought the Panasonic just because I couldn't stand PS3 anymore.

#1,294 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrejG /forum/post/16540106

Man, you must be joking. PS3 is so loud it drives me crazy. After 20-30 minutes its annoying even during action scenes, quiet scenes are not possible to watch, as I can't hear the dialogues. I bought the Panasonic just because I couldn't stand PS3 anymore.

Newer PS3s are quiet. Mine is.

#1,295 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bferr1 /forum/post/16541117

New ones are quiet because their fan blades haven't been covered with dust yet

My BD60 is quiet, both the fan (didn't even know it has one) and the drive. At least I can't hear it from 9 feet away. Or maybe my DLP's fan noise covers them all

But in any case, I won't call BD60 noisy at all compared to other players or consoles.

#1,296 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrejG /forum/post/16537921

Some player owner please help me. I just got BD80 and think its completely useless...for regular blu-rays or dvds it works fine. But when I tried a dual-layer dvd with xvid files, it told me "unsupported format", when I tried a regular dvd with mp3s, it didn't find them...I tried to upload the mp3s on a SD card and the player didn't find them...it did find pictures on the SD card, but no mp3s. I have no use for such a player, its even worse than my oldest ****tiest dvd player, which can read everything.

I would suggest reading the manual - specifically the chart of supported media and formats on pages 6 and 7.

For example, MP3 playback is supported from DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-R DL, CD-R, CD-RW and USB drive *NOT* from SD cards or DVD+R or DVD+RW. Divx playback is also supported from DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-R DL, CD-R, CD-RW and USB drive *NOT* from SD cards or DVD+R or DVD+RW. The SD card only supports JPEG, AVCHD, MPEG2 files.

It will all become clear when you RTFM. And if these restrictions about what can be played where are not in keeping with your preferences, then return the player. But good luck finding a Blu-ray player that plays media files better than the BD80. The Samsung BD-P3600 might be a bit more flexible but it also has restrictions on what format of file can be read from what media, and its PC streaming feature to play media directly from a networked PC is half-baked at best.

-CB

#1,297 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bferr1 /forum/post/16541117

i has the 60 gb version, which does has high heat and noise after been turn on like 30 minutes, not always it does that when is hot, but my friend got the 80gb, i never hear those noise, it could be the chip that installed to play ps2 and 1 game cause those noise or just they change the fan.

#1,298 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by boylan13 /forum/post/16541528

I would suggest reading the manual - specifically the chart of supported media and formats on pages 6 and 7.

For example, MP3 playback is supported from DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-R DL, CD-R, CD-RW and USB drive *NOT* from SD cards or DVD+R or DVD+RW. Divx playback is also supported from DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-R DL, CD-R, CD-RW and USB drive *NOT* from SD cards or DVD+R or DVD+RW. The SD card only supports JPEG, AVCHD, MPEG2 files.

It will all become clear when you RTFM. And if these restrictions about what can be played where are not in keeping with your preferences, then return the player. But good luck finding a Blu-ray player that plays media files better than the BD80. The Samsung BD-P3600 might be a bit more flexible but it also has restrictions on what format of file can be read from what media, and its PC streaming feature to play media directly from a networked PC is half-backed at best.

-CB

Thanks a lot. I double checked the DVDs which didn't work and they really were +, not -, never thought there is such a difference between those 2. You made my day.

#1,301 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrejG /forum/post/16542126

Really? Maybe I should think about switching to a new PS3 then...mine is one of the first ones on the market and it really is super annoying loud. Not as loud as my xbox360 used to be, but still.

Well, let me rephrase: it's virtually quiet. I'm sure if you got close enough in a quiet room, you'd hear it. I've been a PS3 owner for about two years now, and I became obsessed with getting a quiet one for the first year and a half or so. I really took advantage of my BB replacement plan until I found one I was happy with. Believe me, I've heard and owned loud PS3s, and my current one comes nowhere near those earlier ones, and I've had it since maybe September of last year.

Luck of the draw or latest and greatest version of the PS3? I don't know, but I don't want to find out.

#1,304 ·
I just got the BD 60 today and am a little confused. I was watching the dark night and the beginning was full screen and then changes to black bars on the top and bottom. I have read through the posts in this thread but I am still confused. It looks good but not great. Not sure if I have my settings wrong. I have it on aspect ration 16:9.

1-Are there suppose to be black bars on the top and bottom while watching a BD?

2-How do i know if I am running on 1080p while the BD is playing?

3-Should 24p be on while watching a blue ray?

4-Should I have HD Resolution on 1080p or auto?

5-Should I have hdmi RGB output on standard or enhanced?

Thanks a lot for your help!!!!

#1,305 ·
try this:

Jacob

1-Are there suppose to be black bars on the top and bottom while watching a BD?

some titles will be letterbox/widescreen.. just like watching a dvd.

2-How do i know if I am running on 1080p while the BD is playing?

go into set up and the HDMI connections. it will tell you.

3-Should 24p be on while watching a blue ray?

I have mine set for 24.

4-Should I have HD Resolution on 1080p or auto?

I have mine set at 1080P.. but sometimes it will go back to auto after a while.

5-Should I have hdmi RGB output on standard or enhanced?

standard.