Forum Jump: 

post #1651 of 8257 Old 06-11-2009, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrab View Post

I put hockey pucks under the BD60, gives it enough room underneath to stay cool in a cabinet.

I've had the player for a few months now with none of the freezing issues. Knock on wood.

I like the hockey pucks idea! I'm going to use that if I have any inkling at all there's a heat issue.

Glad yours is working well.

Freeze issues could be anything, but heat, given the random / non-repeatable nature of those reported here seems like a probably suspect. If it was a lack of memory, lack of processing power, problem with a particular disk, etc... those things should all be very repeatable. Heat buildup is very unpredicable.

I suppose another potential probably suspect would be if the players have a sub-par power supply. Comparing them to PCs, flaky power supplies can cause no end of tough to reproduce instability.

I'm hoping it's heat or firmware. Power supply issues would be tougher to fix once it's out of the box and sitting in people's homes.

Check out my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
... in progress and closing in on completion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 8257 Old 06-11-2009, 12:46 PM

I know that mine wasn't due to heat from any avoidable factors anyway...I guess we don't really know what's going on inside...perhaps the fan is inadequate or something. Mine was sitting by itself on a glass shelf with plenty of open space. Plus the room stays pretty cool.
post #1653 of 8257 Old 06-11-2009, 12:54 PM

Liked: 12
TexasMan
The freeze/pause problem has affected both the 60 and 80. I played 10 or 12 blu-rays on my 80 perfectly before I had any freezes, then I started having freezes on 3 out 4 blu-rays, usually 5 to 7 seconds each.

I don't think heat is the problem--at least in my case. My 80 was on an open shelf, well ventilated, where the room temperature remains about 68 degrees. I never stack equipment. Also some freezes would occur 5 minutes into a movie, hardly enough time to heat up excessively.

I would encourage everybody to keep posting about problems. It's the only way to find them and potentially solve them. Look what we have learned about the 60/80. Freezes have occurred on machines manufactured from January thru April 2009 (maybe more), they are random, non repeatable, happen with both new dics as well as rentals. If it was firmware, I would think we would see them more widespread. The only way Panasonic can fix it is if they know about it. And if yours starts freezing, please post about. By the way, when was your 80 manufactured?

Anyway, I think this thread is pretty well balanced.
post #1654 of 8257 Old 06-11-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18 Brumaire View Post

[/i]

The 1.7 firmware may be downloaded [HERE]

I have watched around 12 movies in the 2+ weeks since getting my player, and have yet to experience a freeze. I have watched 5 since the 1.7 update this weekend and still no freezes. I intend to watch another tonight. I am trying to see something wrong with the BD60 before my 30-day return window expires, but so far, all is well.

Anyone know of a mirror or alternate site that we can download a valid copy of the 1.7 Firmware? I am getting a glorious 1.3KB/s at the .jp site. At that rate, I'll have the whole thing in a day or two.
post #1655 of 8257 Old 06-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Well that's kinda interesting about the possible heat problem, I was just curious if there could be, but it sounds like heat is probably not a concern. I too have air all around unit and I do have it up a tad to get more air underneath. When I purchased my PS3 40 gb 15 months ago there were some heat complaints and I had mine in the open and really noticed no heat at all. I still think it's the luck of the draw.

Please, Dumb It Down For Me.
post #1656 of 8257 Old 06-12-2009, 02:55 AM

I have noticed an odd behaviour with my BD60 when I use it to decode DTS-HD MA to LPCM. 5.1 sources are seen as a 7.1 stream on the receiver and sound comes out of the rear speakersd as well as the surround speakers. This doesn't happen with 5.1 DVDs nor TrueHD 5.1 sources.

The films I noticed this with are Serenity and The daye the Earth stood still.

Has anyone else noticed this kind of behaviour?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1657 of 8257 Old 06-12-2009, 03:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Look a few pages back. We've extensively discussed DTS-HA MA decoding. The short story is check out manual page 8, top table. All Panasonic players always decode DTS-HD MA into LPCM 7.1 all the time.
post #1658 of 8257 Old 06-12-2009, 08:12 AM

anyone know what the differences between latest firmware update & the old one?
post #1659 of 8257 Old 06-12-2009, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdibr View Post

anyone know what the differences between latest firmware update & the old one?

Not sure what FW 1.7 released on 6/3/09 does but FW 1.5 released on 3/25/09 addresses the following:

1. Improves the display of the Lionel Richie Live top menu.
2. Enables Auto Still setting in select BD discs. (Enables "Still Off" setting.)
post #1660 of 8257 Old 06-12-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Look a few pages back. We've extensively discussed DTS-HA MA decoding. The short story is check out manual page 8, top table. All Panasonic players always decode DTS-HD MA into LPCM 7.1 all the time.

Thanks, that explains that mystery.

post #1661 of 8257 Old 06-12-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:

Have no issue with it. What is your connection: HDMI or component? And what's your TV? Sounds like you have a mis-matched color space between player and TV. This could happen if your player is set to Normal RGB range (by default) but your TV is set to expanded RGB range (those typically for use with a PC). This will cause exactly the effect you just described. The player can be configured to output expanded RGB range and you can try it out. Or, ideally you should check your TV's setting to make sure it is configured to receive normal video range, not expanded PC range.

Thanks for the advice Foxbat121. I'm running HDMI into the TV and with the player set to Standard color range. Unfortunately, the picture is still the same. Just out of curiousity, I hooked up my old Sony player to it and watched the same scene- same cable, disc, TV settings. It had no issues with a washed out picture. So I'm thinking it might be the player.

But, onto some more depressing news. I recently did the firmware update to 1.7 and now the player cannot read any BR discs, even ones that it could always before. The player went from reading all discs, to reading and freezing randomly, to reading none at all now. It can still read DVDs, but I got a player that can do that already. : )

My player has a Feb. 09 build date, just FYI. This has just soured the experience.
post #1662 of 8257 Old 06-12-2009, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me3 View Post

Thanks for the advice Foxbat121. I'm running HDMI into the TV and with the player set to Standard color range. Unfortunately, the picture is still the same. Just out of curiousity, I hooked up my old Sony player to it and watched the same scene- same cable, disc, TV settings. It had no issues with a washed out picture. So I'm thinking it might be the player.

What TV do you have? And when you say old Sony player, is that also a HDMI player? If not, it is irrelvent. The player defaults to standard color range. If you see washed out picture, you need to try expanded range.
post #1663 of 8257 Old 06-12-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung View Post

Not sure what FW 1.7 released on 6/3/09 does but FW 1.5 released on 3/25/09 addresses the following:

1. Improves the display of the Lionel Richie Live top menu.

Wow, That's reason alone to upgrade!!!
post #1664 of 8257 Old 06-12-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:

What TV do you have? And when you say old Sony player, is that also a HDMI player? If not, it is irrelvent. The player defaults to standard color range. If you see washed out picture, you need to try expanded range.

Oops. Forgot to mention that. It's a 5020. I was running HDMI through the Sony player and letting it do the upscaling as well. On the BD60, I checked out both standard and enhanced, but saw the same thing. I'm more worried now about not being able to see any BRs.
post #1665 of 8257 Old 06-12-2009, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Then, you shouldn't have any issue with washed out colors. Looks like your player is at fault or your TV calibration is way off.
post #1666 of 8257 Old 06-12-2009, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me3 View Post

Oops. Forgot to mention that. It's a 5020. I was running HDMI through the Sony player and letting it do the upscaling as well. On the BD60, I checked out both standard and enhanced, but saw the same thing. I'm more worried now about not being able to see any BRs.

It appears that your BD laser/transport has failed. There was a rash of early transport failures with the BD30. Panasonic was very good about fixing them quickly under warranty. I assume your player is still under warranty. Contact Panny and send it for repair.
post #1667 of 8257 Old 06-12-2009, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Ok, more freeze news, we were watching Dexter Season 2 Blu-ray Disc 3, episode 3 and had about a 5 to 7 second freeze half way through and then play continued and had no problems and none through episode 4. This player installed 6/9/09.

post #1668 of 8257 Old 06-12-2009, 06:02 PM

Just purchased the BD60 at amazon for < $207 shipped. Didn't read up a lot on this model since I own the BD35 and have been nothing but pleased with it and there wasn't a whole lot changed with this new model. These freezing reports are a bit concerning. It seems like a lot of the same people commenting on it, so I can't really tell how widespread this is.

In any case, no matter what my experience turns out to be with the freezing, watching with a potential random freeze that corrects itself is better, IMO, than my S350 simply showing "unknown disc" for several blu rays that work in my BD35K and lowly Samsung 1400. I think my laser is going on the S350, so off to service it goes, and it will be sold upon return.

HD A2 (Feb 07)
HD XA2 (Feb 08)
DMP-BD35K (Nov 08)
DMP-BD60K (Jun 09)

HD DVD Titles: 168
Blu-ray Titles: 430
post #1669 of 8257 Old 06-12-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisjan View Post

It appears that your BD laser/transport has failed. There was a rash of early transport failures with the BD30. Panasonic was very good about fixing them quickly under warranty. I assume your player is still under warranty. Contact Panny and send it for repair.

Yep, I think it is the player. I'll contact Panasonic. I'm sure it'll be ok given Panasonic's good customer support. Thank you krisjan and Foxbat121 for your help.

Like they say, "When it works, it works great." I remember watching the first few minutes of 'The Dark Knight' and was amazed by the picture quality.
post #1670 of 8257 Old 06-12-2009, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I have the bd60 for all of 5 hrs, 3 days early. I've connected & played my only bluray disc, a dvd-ram, & a sd video; all seems ok even the viera cast for youtube; didn't play a youtube video as forgot the the "change of input" was what I should do to get the cursor over to the selection column.

Now, I have the bd60 setup to use "16:9 full" to get rid of the top & bottom black bars for widescreen; I have a Panasonic 37" plasma that only does up to 1080i.

Question: what is the diff between 16:9 & 16:9 full? haven't been able to determine if the picture got stretched somehow.

Have read about complaints about the need to press ok or play after the disc is loaded & wonder what is meant by that. The 3 dvds I've played started "playing" after they were loaded. The bluray really started playing as it was the 2nd dvd of the 2 dvd set; the dvd-ram & sd dvd "started" but stopped where they were supposed to at the menu for the user to select a selection.

But really, for now, what is 16:9 full & is that the norm for dvd/bluray players now?

This is my 1st bluray player.........
post #1671 of 8257 Old 06-12-2009, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by citrus View Post

I have the bd60 for all of 5 hrs, 3 days early. I've connected & played my only bluray disc, a dvd-ram, & a sd video; all seems ok even the viera cast for youtube; didn't play a youtube video as forgot the the "change of input" was what I should do to get the cursor over to the selection column.

Now, I have the bd60 setup to use "16:9 full" to get rid of the top & bottom black bars for widescreen; I have a Panasonic 37" plasma that only does up to 1080i.

Question: what is the diff between 16:9 & 16:9 full? haven't been able to determine if the picture got stretched somehow.

Have read about complaints about the need to press ok or play after the disc is loaded & wonder what is meant by that. The 3 dvds I've played started "playing" after they were loaded. The bluray really started playing as it was the 2nd dvd of the 2 dvd set; the dvd-ram & sd dvd "started" but stopped where they were supposed to at the menu for the user to select a selection.

But really, for now, what is 16:9 full & is that the norm for dvd/bluray players now?

This is my 1st bluray player.........

16:9 will pillar box 4:3 DVD's while 16:9 Full will stretch 4:3 DVD's to fill the screen. I don't know if there are 4:3 BluRay Discs but it would probably do the same for them.

From previous posts, if the screen saver is on the pillar box bars will be gray and if the screen saver is off the bars will be black.

I believe the press to play issue was with media other than BluRay or DVD, i.e. CD's .
post #1672 of 8257 Old 06-12-2009, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvasko View Post

Ok, more freeze news, we were watching Dexter Season 2 Blu-ray Disc 3, episode 3 and had about a 5 to 7 second freeze half way through and then play continued and had no problems and none through episode 4. This player installed 6/9/09.

Same thing happened to me with the exact same disc. But it won't repeat it. I played the episode again and it worked flawlessly. The freezes are so random and there's no way to really nail down the problem. I can watch 10 movies in a row without a single freeze then all of a sudden...it's not just rentals either. I'm not crazy worried yet because like I said %98 of the time, I never get a freeze. It's just the randomness of it that drives me crazy.
post #1673 of 8257 Old 06-13-2009, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

2. Channel Duplication
The Panasonics have done this since the BD50. When decoding DTS 5.1 or 6.1 tracks on BD, the surrounds are duplicated to the rears to create 7.1. Panasonic says this is done in accordance with DTS specifications. The recently added dts-MA decoder for the Pioneer 09FD also does channel duplication and Pioneer also says it's a DTS mandate. The new Oppo does channel duplication for analog output, but not for PCM over HDMI. Oppo says DTS requires it for analog only. The Sonys and Samsungs do not duplicate channels. Why not, if it's a DTS requirement? That's a question I'd love to see answered.

I'm a little confused.

Regarding channel duplication. So if the film has 7.1 channels and has had a fantastic mix done for it by the studio this player and others will not actually give you all 7.1 individual channels but will duplicate two of them so you get the exact same sound from 2 side and 2 rear speakers instead of actual separate individual sounds as mixed ?

I mean as an example lets say there is a gunshot on the side left speaker but it's not meant to be heard in the back rear speakers then you hear it correctly when using HDMI to your receiver but when using analog out it is heard wrong and you get duplicated channels ?

Also lets say you have a 5.1 channel analog in on your receiver and not 7.1 does the sound actually get ouput correctly ?

I need a second player to playback UK only discs as my American Playstation 3 won't play back some discs from Fox and a few other labels and this player is my number 1 contender to buy but the only thing putting me off is the freezing issues which keep popping up. They are random and it would bother me a lot.
post #1674 of 8257 Old 06-13-2009, 02:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a3willia View Post

Just purchased the BD60 at amazon for < $207 shipped. Didn't read up a lot on this model since I own the BD35 and have been nothing but pleased with it and there wasn't a whole lot changed with this new model. These freezing reports are a bit concerning. It seems like a lot of the same people commenting on it, so I can't really tell how widespread this is.

In any case, no matter what my experience turns out to be with the freezing, watching with a potential random freeze that corrects itself is better, IMO, than my S350 simply showing "unknown disc" for several blu rays that work in my BD35K and lowly Samsung 1400. I think my laser is going on the S350, so off to service it goes, and it will be sold upon return.

I thought the same as long as it corrects and keeps on playing it does not appear to be that big a deal. (don't like it) but can live with it. With the many thunderstorms extremely cloudy weather etc we get more interference from Dish Satellite. Will have to see if it goes from livable to complete breakdown. Anybody out there who has one that they just kept and lived through the freezes, do they get worse.

post #1675 of 8257 Old 06-13-2009, 04:28 AM

Ok i am reading many threads and review sections at many sites.

I have read the thread which is a face/off between the Sony 550 and Panasonic BD-55 and some are saying the Panasonic is slightly reducing detail by using noise reduction and that the Sony had a tiny bit more detail when tested using Casino Royale disc.

Now since they are using the same chipset albeit slightly tweaked for the BD-80 i'm curious if anyone has used both players can comment.

Link to the post i read is below. Anyone experienced this ?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post15480012

As i already said i am on the hunt for a new player to use for UK titles and i certainly do not want noise reduction which cannot be switched off in my player. So whats the verdict. Does the Panasonic reduce grain levels originally on the disc and reduce the detail slightly or has no one noticed anything like that ? To me that would be more of an issue than some of the freezing.

Anyway BD-80 is number one choice for me with Sony S550 also being considered.
post #1676 of 8257 Old 06-13-2009, 07:24 AM

I have the BD-605K player for less than a month and encountered the first freeze issue while watching The Shining BD (midway through the movie). This was using firmware 1.1. Upgraded the player to v1.7 and it froze again during the Blade Runner BD (luckily during the ending credits). Odd that both were Warner titles. Have a handful of other BDs and all the others played fine. No issues playing SD discs.

Just sent an email to Panasonic. Hopefully they'll come up with a fix. Unfortunately, random, non-repeatable bugs are the toughest to squash!

Other than that I'm very happy with the player. Glad to hear that Costco is liberal with returns, so if the issue isn't resolved in about a month or 2 then back it goes...
post #1677 of 8257 Old 06-13-2009, 07:42 AM

just finish watching King Kong on my first bluray player BD80,
the SQ & AQ was superb...really enjoy & worth every penny

my player original FW is 1.5, now downloading & update to 1.7
post #1678 of 8257 Old 06-13-2009, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder View Post

Ok i am reading many threads and review sections at many sites.

I have read the thread which is a face/off between the Sony 550 and Panasonic BD-55 and some are saying the Panasonic is slightly reducing detail by using noise reduction and that the Sony had a tiny bit more detail when tested using Casino Royale disc.

Now since they are using the same chipset albeit slightly tweaked for the BD-80 i'm curious if anyone has used both players can comment.

Link to the post i read is below. Anyone experienced this ?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post15480012

As i already said i am on the hunt for a new player to use for UK titles and i certainly do not want noise reduction which cannot be switched off in my player. So whats the verdict. Does the Panasonic reduce grain levels originally on the disc and reduce the detail slightly or has no one noticed anything like that ? To me that would be more of an issue than some of the freezing.

Anyway BD-80 is number one choice for me with Sony S550 also being considered.

I owned both a Sony 550 and a Panny BD80.
I performed extensive side by side testing for both PQ & AQ.
I posted my findings earlier in this thread, and also the Sony 550 thread.
The Panasonic had just a very slight edge over the Sony in PQ , but the biggest and most notable difference was using the 7.1 analog connections.
The Panasonic clearly has a much higher LFE output and produces a much more dynamic and powerful sound field than the Sony at the same settings and volume.
For both of these reasons I kept the Panasonic, and returned the Sony.

Jeffrey

post #1679 of 8257 Old 06-13-2009, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdibr View Post

just finish watching King Kong on my first bluray player BD80,
the SQ & AQ was superb...really enjoy & worth every penny

my player original FW is 1.5, now downloading & update to 1.7

Congrats! I should be getting mine today from Onecall. What date was your player manufactured?

For those that are looking for the BD80, 6ave has it for 277 shipped using the code couponcabin except for NY, NJ and PA.
post #1680 of 8257 Old 06-13-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung View Post

Congrats! I should be getting mine today from Onecall. What date was your player manufactured?

For those that are looking for the BD80, 6ave has it for 277 shipped using the code couponcabin except for NY, NJ and PA.

at the back of my player have May 2009 sticker
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Panasonic Dmp Bd80k Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bd60 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Panasonic

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page