Please Help 2 channel audio guy that likes blu ray - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-22-2009, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone this is my first post here and I am in dire need of some blu ray help. In my 2 channel listening room i have an epson 810 prolite cinema projector and a sony 550s bluray player, of which i only use for live concerts. As I am a 2 channel guy I am not interested in adding more speakers or a multi channel amp for this application. My main concern is that using the 2 channel audio output on the blu ray player I am not getting the best audio signal possible. I realize this may have to be a compromise that I will have to live with. I am hoping however that someone will be able to let me know if the 2 channel analog out on the sony is junk, and if so are there any new blu ray players that have a better 2 channel analog out. Any other suggestions to help my quest for the best audio signal from a blu ray disc hooked up to my 2 channel system would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-22-2009, 06:30 PM

Sounds like the Pioneer 51FD is a great deal right now at various Forum Sponsers. It has Wolfson DACs which are very good DACs, better than the Sony. The Pioneer is a great piece, especially at the current price ($600.00 player, now at half price). The other that I have been looking at is the Oppo 83, which should be out in the next few weeks, from what is being said on their thread. It is supposed to be an incredible BD/SD player and have really nice DACs for the anologue outs. I am a 2 channel guy and the player I get has to do excellent CD/SACD 2-channel audio, this is where the DACs, and their implementation, obviously come in.

I do not think you will have to compromise your audio with the 2 channel audio outs from either of the 2 players mentioned above, amoung several others not mentioned.

Good luck.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-22-2009, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I recently purchased the Pio51 for use in our 2-channel setup (Dali MS-4, Parasound Halo A21, Denon 3805/3910, 60" Sony SXRD). I've been quite happy with both the audio and video performance so far, though I haven't done any real critical listening yet. My biggest issue with the Pio51 is the painfully slow power-up and disc load times. Hopefully they'll improve that with future updates.

Jason

Custom Built For The Win!
post #4 of 7 Old 03-22-2009, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 178
There's no reason to think your Sony's 2-channel audio output would be inferior in any way to that of any other BD player. Your player can decode all of the lossless codecs and downmix them to 2-channel analog, which is all any player can do. It's conceivable that under the right circumstances, with the right speakers in the right room, that you might be able to hear a difference between the Sony's DACs and those of some other player. But most such claimed differences don't stand up to any sort of scientific scrutiny.

How does the Sony sound to you?

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #5 of 7 Old 03-22-2009, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

If you are that concerned about DAC quality why not use digital out to an external DAC?
post #6 of 7 Old 03-22-2009, 09:15 PM

I do feel that the DACs and how they are implemented CAN effect the audio quality, just my and my ears opinion. It also will depend on the quality of the gear you are using to listen through - avr, speakers, etc.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-23-2009, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Try posting here. LINK
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page