Official *Fast Loading* JVC XV-BP1 owner's thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 2547 Old 06-06-2009, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
interesting NAD and LG share IR codes in my onkyo universal remote...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2547 Old 06-06-2009, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

willie,

what are your thoughts on upscaling?

I think you have a 51 and oppo to compare it to like me.

I feel like it does a good job of deinterlacing but does have an overall more grainy look than the pioneer 320 and oppo. Feel like there is a bit of a speckly or grainy look on solid areas like faces. It's hard to explain, but it reminds me of the look the show "the shield" uses. Some might call this noise, but it is not noise to me because detail is there and it's neither isolated or secondary.

Overall, I really like this player.

winston9332,

I haven't done any critical viewing since most of my viewing will be with the Oppo or Pioneer. However, from the little bit of viewing I have done I'm very impressed with the playback of both blu-ray and dvd. Synthetic tests aside this is a very capable player. My family sits about 10 feet from a 32 monitor and from that distance there is no difference. Most wouldn't observe any discernable difference on a 42 or 46 monitor. I purchased this player exclusively for use in my family room for the wife and kids. This will be the player I recommend to friends and family who are making their 1st blu-ray player purchase and who are looking to spend less than $250.00. This player along with the Oppo behaves the closet to a traditional dvd player as far as functionality, which would be very important for someone purchasing their 1st player. Also, I was able to get it at a fantastic price from H.H. Gregg.

Now if they could only do something about the blue neon buttons. Hopefully, there will be a firmware update that will allow you to at least dim the lights.

Respectfully,
Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #273 of 2547 Old 06-06-2009, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have the Pioneer 320 and I'm thinking of buying the JVC blu-ray player. Is there are difference in picture quality in blu-ray movies between both players?
post #274 of 2547 Old 06-06-2009, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post

I have the Pioneer 320 and I'm thinking of buying the JVC blu-ray player. Is there are difference in picture quality in blu-ray movies between both players?

BD picture at 1080p 24fps is nearly identical, but the pioneer allows for adjustments. The JVC has no picture adjustments other than resolution. The same is true for DVD. That said, the JVC does offer some value in that it can force 24fps and can zoom the image to take out black bars if desired.

I think the Pioneer offers slightly better SD DVD upscaling, but not discernable on a display less than 50". The Pioneer has much superior audio capabilities.

I think Willie hit it on the head in respects of the JVC being the perfect player for a first time blu rayer. It's quick, easy and good. It's dvd upscaling and load times are much better than a panasonic 60 or 80. It does not offer analogues and has a very limited menu for tweaking or adjustments. One should understand that it is really just a hdmi transport.
post #275 of 2547 Old 06-06-2009, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

these blue lights have got to go! think i may get out the screwdriver and see if they cant be disconnected!
post #276 of 2547 Old 06-06-2009, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

My family sits about 10 feet from a 32 monitor and from that distance there is no difference.

Well, from that distance on a 32" screen, you'd be very hard pressed to see the difference between SD and HD.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #277 of 2547 Old 06-06-2009, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

interesting NAD and LG share IR codes in my onkyo universal remote...

That is a bit intruiging.................
post #278 of 2547 Old 06-06-2009, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks, its no. 1 on the list, having had to return the Oppo

Just out of curiosity, why did you return the Oppo?
post #279 of 2547 Old 06-07-2009, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestyk View Post

Just out of curiosity, why did you return the Oppo?

I'm still running on a 6 year old HD Sony CRT 36" which can run at 1080i using a HDMI/DVI connection w r/l audio. I had an upconverting panasonic dvd player/recorder hooked up that way that ran nicely. When I hooked the Oppo up I had a 1Hz wave or ripple scrolling across the screen. Since the panny ran flawlessly with the same cables and the same connections, I assumed it was the oppo and sent it back.A buddy of mine who is a EE said it was a ground loop problem where the tv was picking up the beat frequency (internal clock) of the oppo. I would have been willing to keep it and write it off as a HDMI/DVI implementation (I'm buying a new tv later this year) but it also picked up the wave on component feeds, so I boxed it up and sent it back. I have a pretty massive library of DVDs so I want really good upconversion.
post #280 of 2547 Old 06-07-2009, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I should have picked this player up yesterday when I had the inclination. It was 199, today its 229. Sale must have ended Saturday, although its still a pretty good sale price.

I'll wait now and bide my time. I need a new TV first anyway.
post #281 of 2547 Old 06-07-2009, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member

What did Oppo say? Did they have a solution? It's possible any BD player will do this with your TV.
post #282 of 2547 Old 06-07-2009, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestyk View Post

What did Oppo say? Did they have a solution? It's possible any BD player will do this with your TV.

They had me try a few things like where I plugged the TV and oppo into. I tried component and HDMI/DVI and every combination I could think of. It is possible that any BD player will do it . Oppo was very responsive and agreed to take the player back although they think it is the TV. If I had thought it was the tv I would have kept it as I'm buying a new tv anyway this year. I couldn't get over the fact that the panny upconverting dvd player didn't have this problem. I basically just uplugged the hdmi and audio r/l cable from the panny and plugged them into the oppo so it wasn't a cable problem either. The EE friend of mine said its possible that the oppo has a twisted pair not properly terminated. He also said these type issues are a bear to hunt down.

Anyway I wasn't going to go beyond my 30 day return period and then find out it wasn't the TV after all.

I may wait and when I buy another tv just get another oppo.
post #283 of 2547 Old 06-07-2009, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post

I'm still running on a 6 year old HD Sony CRT 36" which can run at 1080i using a HDMI/DVI connection w r/l audio. I had an upconverting panasonic dvd player/recorder hooked up that way that ran nicely. When I hooked the Oppo up I had a 1Hz wave or ripple scrolling across the screen. Since the panny ran flawlessly with the same cables and the same connections, I assumed it was the oppo and sent it back.A buddy of mine who is a EE said it was a ground loop problem where the tv was picking up the beat frequency (internal clock) of the oppo. I would have been willing to keep it and write it off as a HDMI/DVI implementation (I'm buying a new tv later this year) but it also picked up the wave on component feeds, so I boxed it up and sent it back. I have a pretty massive library of DVDs so I want really good upconversion.

definitely a ground loop. if you've had an addition to your house, something was not grounded properly and voltage is heading 'downhill' through your tv. most cases are actually caused by poorly grounded cable feeds that are never grounded properly. ground loops can be nightmares. my inlaws have one that has caused the problem you have described and an audible buzz in their full house (three receivers, three amps) audio system.

I doubt the oppo is causing it; more lilely it is just a conductor. Before you return it, try plugging the oppo into a different outlet (even if it means running an extenson cord temporarily). THis might give you a little idea to where the problem is introduced. Disconnect your cable box feed and power and see if that isolates the problem. Plasmas seem a bit more sensitive to this issues, but i have heard lcds can do it too.
post #284 of 2547 Old 06-07-2009, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I should have picked this player up yesterday when I had the inclination. It was 199, today its 229. Sale must have ended Saturday, although its still a pretty good sale price.

I'll wait now and bide my time. I need a new TV first anyway.

i have had luck with bestbuy orders at sale prices even if they have been expired for a day or two - call hhgregg and see what they say
post #285 of 2547 Old 06-07-2009, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

winston9332,

My family sits about 10 feet from a 32” monitor and from that distance there is no difference. Most wouldn’t observe any discernable difference on a 42” or 46” monitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

Well, from that distance on a 32" screen, you'd be very hard pressed to see the difference between SD and HD.

Stew4msu,

This was more of a public service announcement for those who are not aware of this phenomenon that the size of your display plays an important part in any gains you would see in 1 blu-ray player over another for both blu-ray and sd dvd playback. I’ve heard people say that they don’t see a difference or a discernable difference between blu-ray and sd dvd. I don’t recall those individual setups, but screen size may have been a factor.

Respectfully,
Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #286 of 2547 Old 06-07-2009, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Stew4msu,

This was more of a public service announcement for those who are not aware of this phenomenon that the size of your display plays an important part in any gains you would see in 1 blu-ray player over another for both blu-ray and sd dvd playback. I’ve heard people say that they don’t see a difference or a discernable difference between blu-ray and sd dvd. I don’t recall those individual setups, but screen size may have been a factor.

Respectfully,
Willie

Size of display and viewing distance can have as much to do with upscaled image quality as the source itself. I believe the difference between dvd and blu ray begins to emerge around 32", anything smaller is a push. If you're sitting 10' away from a 32" display, the benefits of blu ray are decreased with each foot beyond four or so.

I have been running numerous dvds on my 50" kuro (1080p) and must say the JVC is very good and can hold its own with my oppo and pio 320. If I had a 100" screen, I am sure the benefits of the latter would appear. The JVC does a great job with synthetic tests on film based material. It aces some of the more unusual cadences and seems to have pretty good recognition.

If you're looking for a pure hdmi transport and a short term investment (less than 2 years), I think this is a great player at the priced pt. I am not betting on this lasting for much longer than a year and a half. It does not appear ot be nearly as solidly built as my oppo or pioneer and has build density more similar to a samsung or LG.

All in all, it's an incredibly versatile and user friendly device - speed about as fast as an oppo and sd dvd uipscaling that outperforms a panasonic 60/80 in both synthetic and realworld tests. When you factor in forced 24fps for dvds and a reasonable zoom function, it's a nice little player for under $250 for most. If you have an old receiver or are looking for high end audio, you will need a pioneer 320 or 51, but for most folks using a single HDMI connection, this is damn hard to beat.

Hope i didn't jinx myself - knowing my luck it will die on me tomorrow!
post #287 of 2547 Old 06-07-2009, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob View Post

That is a bit intruiging.................

the jvc has its own ir codes - no jvc, nad, lg or anyother major ce's ir codes...
post #288 of 2547 Old 06-07-2009, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Most wouldn’t observe any discernable difference on a 42” or 46” monitor.

I notice a huge difference between DVD and BD on my 720p 42" Pioneer. I was shocked to see the flaws in DVD after having a 32" Sony for 5 years.
post #289 of 2547 Old 06-07-2009, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

definitely a ground loop. if you've had an addition to your house, something was not grounded properly and voltage is heading 'downhill' through your tv. most cases are actually caused by poorly grounded cable feeds that are never grounded properly. ground loops can be nightmares. my inlaws have one that has caused the problem you have described and an audible buzz in their full house (three receivers, three amps) audio system.

I doubt the oppo is causing it; more lilely it is just a conductor. Before you return it, try plugging the oppo into a different outlet (even if it means running an extenson cord temporarily). THis might give you a little idea to where the problem is introduced. Disconnect your cable box feed and power and see if that isolates the problem. Plasmas seem a bit more sensitive to this issues, but i have heard lcds can do it too.

I tried disconnecting the cable, different outlets etc. No joy. Its already on its way back.
post #290 of 2547 Old 06-07-2009, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I tried disconnecting the cable, different outlets etc. No joy. Its already on its way back.

ground loops can be like poltergeist; without explanation they come and go and generally in the most inopportune times.

best of luck it does not come back...shame you missed out on the oppo though.
post #291 of 2547 Old 06-07-2009, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ground loops can be like poltergeist; without explanation they come and go and generally in the most inopportune times.

best of luck it does not come back...shame you missed out on the oppo though.

Yea I know. Oppo is going to check it out and see if maybe it is something with the player. The EE buddy of mine said it could be a improperly terminated twisted pair inside the player. The odd thing is the panny upconverting DVD player I pulled out didn't have the problem and I used exactly the same cables and connections. When I pulled the Oppo out to box it up I put the panny back in and it performed perfectly. If Oppo finds it is the player, I may order again.

You have several players, If you could only have one what would it be?? The Oppo?
post #292 of 2547 Old 06-07-2009, 01:10 PM

Considering its quality, features and price, if the JVC had been the first Blu-ray player introduced, I wonder how that would have changed the Blu-ray adoption rate. My guess is that many more people would have Blu-ray in their homes by now.
post #293 of 2547 Old 06-07-2009, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yea I know. Oppo is going to check it out and see if maybe it is something with the player. The EE buddy of mine said it could be a improperly terminated twisted pair inside the player. The odd thing is the panny upconverting DVD player I pulled out didn't have the problem and I used exactly the same cables and connections. When I pulled the Oppo out to box it up I put the panny back in and it performed perfectly. If Oppo finds it is the player, I may order again.

You have several players, If you could only have one what would it be?? The Oppo?

If I had $500 to spend, the oppo.

then pio 320 in $325 budget, then jvc in under $250 space. The biggest strength of the pioneer over the jvc is the audio section.

if i had a monitor under 46" and was using only hdmi, i would get the jvc only. i don't think you will see the difference of the three on a screen size smaller than 46" - they are all that good.
post #294 of 2547 Old 06-07-2009, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

The Oppo was exactly 1 second faster when performing the speed tests above using Batman Begins. I just repeated the speed test using the Dark Knight blu-ray and below are my findings. The JVC times are in blue and the Oppo times in black. Also, times are in seconds unless otherwise noted:

ALL ARE FROM A TRAY OPE POSITION WITH THE EXCEPTION OF TEST 4
  1. to Piracy Screen - 20, 16
  2. to Warner Brother logo - 32, 28
  3. to beginning of movie - 1:13, 1:07
  4. Power on disc in tray to start of movie - 1:26, 1:18

Respectfully,
Willie

Wow nice. Good to see 2 standalone players that are nearing the speed of the PS3.
post #295 of 2547 Old 06-07-2009, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

if i had a monitor under 46" and was using only hdmi, i would get the jvc only. i don't think you will see the difference of the three on a screen size smaller than 46" - they are all that good.

Without knowing seating distance, screen size is irrelevant.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #296 of 2547 Old 06-07-2009, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
winston9332,

Thank you for the very thorough review. It's people like you that make our lives easier! I also gave you a positive mark your Amazon.com review.

Val

Quote:

After hearing some promising reviews of the new JVC player, I bought one for a great price online ($230 shipped). It has been lauded for its fast load times and strong overall performance. While it appears to share some bones with the $1500 NAD player, it uses the same GUI my LG BH200, leading me to believe there might be some LG influence as well (or common providers).

Operation and load times are very comparable to the Oppo. In terms of the synthetic tests the S&M disc offers, its performance is nearly identical to the Oppo, only faltering on one or two sections (my results are posted below). In terms of realworld content, BD playback is very good and SD upscaling is excellent. I still think the Oppo is the best upscaler, closely followed by the Pioneer 320/23FD (i have a 50" pioneer kuro). The Oppo and Pioneer bring a little more color and detail to the table. Then again, I have yet to manipulate the features of the JVC. Unlike the pioneer (but like the oppo and panny 60/80), the JVC can output 24fps on sd dvds. I have not tested it enough to compare smoothness and audio synchronization yet. In synthetic tests, it seems to do better with film cadences and less so with video deinterlacing.

I will post multiple load times this evening to quantify its speed and try out a few more real world upscaling tests.

It does have a few cons in limited tweaking and the brightest damn blue lights on the front that make you think you're seeing a squad car in your rearview mirror. They are not dimmable (how do you not think this would be an issue JVC?)

All in all, if you're looking for a player that is about as fast as the Oppo and offers SD upscaling as good if not better than a Panny 80 and at a very great street price, the JVC is worth a look. If you're more of a videophile, the Pioneer 320 is the next option a step up, then the Oppo for about $200 more. Just my two cents. I own them all.

Source Adaptive Deinterlacing
Cadence: Racecar testing for moire in stands
Test / Pio 320 / Oppo / Panny 55 / Pio 120 / JVC
2:2 / pass / pass / pass /pass / pass
2:2:2:4 / fail / pass / fail / fail / pass
2:3:2:3 (PF-T) fail / pass /marginal (minor moire) / pass / pass
2:3:2:3 / pass / pass / marginal (minor moire) / fail / pass
2:3:3:2 / fail / pass /fail / fail / pass
3:2:3:2:2 / fail / pass / fail / fail / pass
5:5 / fail / pass / fail / fail / pass
6:4 / fail / pass / fail /fail / pass
8:7:8:7 / fail / pass / fail / fail / pass
24p - pass / pass / pass / pass / pass
Difficult edits - pass / pass / pass /pass/ pass
Time-adjusted / fail / pass / fail / pass / fail

Edge Adaptive Test Patterns

Jaggie test - Pio 320
Speedometer: pass 45 to 5. fail +/- 5, pass -45 to -5
Ship: Pass
horizontal scrolling text: pass
vertical scrolling text: pass

Jaggie test - Oppo 83
Ship: Pass

Jaggie test - Panny 55
Ship: Marginal - minor jaggies
vertical scrolling text: marginal - minor jaggies

Jaggie test - Pio 120
Speedometer: fail
Ship: marginal - minor jaggies
vertical scrolling text: marginal - minor jaggies

Jaggie test - JVC
Ship: pass

Val Lorien
Blu-ray: Anyone else surprised that Sony finally won a format war?
post #297 of 2547 Old 06-07-2009, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If I had $500 to spend, the oppo.

then pio 320 in $325 budget, then jvc in under $250 space. The biggest strength of the pioneer over the jvc is the audio section.

I'm really looking for good audio as well. This will be the center of an entertainment center that will also play CDs. My first purchase was a Denon AVR-789 last Xmas. It's still sitting off by itself with an old panny dvd player and a pair of Bose for just CDs. When I purchase a new TV that will all get integrated.

I also want very good upscaling of DVDs I have a pretty massive library of DVDs. The Anchor Bay in the Oppo is hard to beat, although your review of the JVC was enticing. My monitor will probably be 46" so I doubt I"ll see any real difference.

I almost went to hhgreg to see if they'd honor yesterday's 199, but decided against it. The audio spec (S/N ~ 100) turned me off a bit. May still though.

Thanks for your insights.
post #298 of 2547 Old 06-07-2009, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm really looking for good audio as well. This will be the center of an entertainment center that will also play CDs. My first purchase was a Denon AVR-789 last Xmas. It's still sitting off by itself with an old panny dvd player and a pair of Bose for just CDs. When I purchase a new TV that will all get integrated.

I also want very good upscaling of DVDs I have a pretty massive library of DVDs. The Anchor Bay in the Denon is hard to beat, although your review of the JVC was enticing. My monitor will probably be 46" so I doubt I"ll see any real difference.

I almost went to hhgreg to see if they'd honor yesterday's 199, but decided against it. The audio spec (S/N ~ 100) turned me off a bit. May still though.

Thanks for your insights.

The DACs in the JVC had not impressed me on the two channel output. Pioneer 320 is much better. CDs sound good over HDMI from the JVC, but seem a bit too digitized through my 906.
post #299 of 2547 Old 06-07-2009, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

The Oppo was exactly 1 second faster when performing the speed tests above using Batman Begins. I just repeated the speed test using the Dark Knight blu-ray and below are my findings. The JVC times are in blue and the Oppo times in black. Also, times are in seconds unless otherwise noted:

ALL ARE FROM A TRAY OPE POSITION WITH THE EXCEPTION OF TEST 4
  1. to Piracy Screen - 20, 16
  2. to Warner Brother logo - 32, 28
  3. to beginning of movie - 1:13, 1:07

Respectfully,
Willie

Shows how far players have come. Willie I just applied the top 3 to my Panasonic BD30 and got these times-

1- 42s
2- 57s
3- 1m51s

From power off/standby to tray ejecting out takes- 25s Vs Oppo 4s
post #300 of 2547 Old 06-07-2009, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone with a different type of display getting an error message when the player first boots up? No playback problems, just an error message from kuro saying it cec failure.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page