Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 2547 Old 07-30-2009, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakki View Post

I was hoping to see more results about MKV playing in this thread.
There has been no discussion about lip sync problems with this JVC (well ok, ½seconds someone pointed out). Is there really none of those?
Specially on HD MKV playpack and Xvid/Divx playback?

I've had mine for about 1.5 months now and have played lots of blu-rays, DVDs, Xvid .avi and .mkv. I have never seen a lip sync issue in any format.

Quote:

Availability is a bit low in here and price about 300 euros (about 420USD). You can get the LG370 and Sony 360 below that. (LG around 200 euros and Sony about 270 euros)

I absolutely love this player for the 210USD that I paid for it, but 420USD is way too much. I can't imagine what JVC is thinking by pricing the player so high over in Europe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 2547 Old 07-30-2009, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasb View Post

I've had mine for about 1.5 months now and have played lots of blu-rays, DVDs, Xvid .avi and .mkv. I have never seen a lip sync issue in any format.

I absolutely love this player for the 210USD that I paid for it, but 420USD is way too much. I can't imagine what JVC is thinking by pricing the player so high over in Europe.

I would think part of that is due to VATs that are pretty stiff for our european cousins.
post #903 of 2547 Old 07-30-2009, 06:53 AM

Liked: 12
Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced HDMI receiver that would match up well with the JVC. I'm currently using a Onkyo 503 with optical that sounds okay but feel I'm missing out on a lot of sound. Somewhere I read that video processing via receivers is not so hot is that true? Thanks
post #904 of 2547 Old 07-30-2009, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave84 View Post

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced HDMI receiver that would match up well with the JVC. I'm currently using a Onkyo 503 with optical that sounds okay but feel I'm missing out on a lot of sound. Somewhere I read that video processing via receivers is not so hot is that true? Thanks

Onkyo TX SR607, 606, or 507.
post #905 of 2547 Old 07-30-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

I would think part of that is due to VATs that are pretty stiff for our european cousins.

I even tried to bargain the price. No help...

Maybe I should buy the US version and 110V/220V transformer adapter

winston9332, I saw your pics taken inside of the JVC. Could you see that there would be any switch about 110V / 220V?
I haven't seen any pics from behind. US manual says "110V / 60Hz".
If it has been made easy and cheap, it would be universal.
Maybe this is hoping for too much?

Don't know about 50Hz and 60Hz playback on this device. Does it handle both (the US or EU version)?
post #906 of 2547 Old 07-30-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:

Wow, what a thread! Took some time to read it through.
Thanks for all for all the info.

I'm going to step into the HD world. I was thinking to have the Samsung P1600, but it has a fan. So no go.
Then I found out that there is a new LG 370 (390 model not yet available in Europe). It is cheap even in here and has many nice features and it is even silent. But I've read a lot of lip sync problems. A no go again. Maybe LG can fix this with software, who knows.
Then I was on a mission about Sony S360. But slower to load movies to play and there is a fan. Not anywhere near the competion featurewise.
Is it just BD marketing not to include even Divx/Xvid playback into these?
My couple years old Sony DVD-NS30 player works fine with these and I was going to replace it totally with a BD player...

Finally I have found this treasure from JVC.
Availability is a bit low in here and price about 300 euros (about 420USD). You can get the LG370 and Sony 360 below that. (LG around 200 euros and Sony about 270 euros)
It even has "x.v.Colour™/Deep Colour" which Samsung (at least I think so) doesn't have, same goes to the LG. Sony has it.

LG 370 and JVC share one thing about MKV playback.
NO NTFS support. But nothing is perfect.
I was hoping to see more results about MKV playing in this thread.
There has been no discussion about lip sync problems with this JVC (well ok, ½seconds someone pointed out). Is there really none of those?
Specially on HD MKV playpack and Xvid/Divx playback?

JVC BD users from Holland, what is the street price over there?
I found this player in Germany with a price tag around 280-320 euros.

Thanks for replies!

I have played Divx, DivxHD, Xvid, XvidHD and H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, and MKV,
and they all play perfect on a Samsung UE40B6000 Led lcd tv in FullHD.

I downloaded DOOM MKV FullHD 5.4GB and split it in 2x 2700MB and put it on a USB Stick,
and it had at the end a little bit out of sink audio, but only a very little, but can be the USB Stick.

And my tv says that the DOOM MKV FullHD plays at FullHD at 60Hz.
post #907 of 2547 Old 07-30-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:

Onkyo TX SR607, 606, or 507.

Thanks, I'm looking at the HTRC160 seems the same where is counts as the 607 but with a few less bells and whistles.

"How Does the HTRC160 Compare to Other Onkyo Receivers?
The Onkyo HTRC160 is similar to the popular Onkyo TX-SR607 and has almost all of the same features. However, the HTRC160 trades a different styling on the volume knob, one less HDMI input, 10 fewer watts per channel, and lack of satellite radio support for a more affordable package and is perfect as an entry-level high-end receiver".
post #908 of 2547 Old 07-30-2009, 10:18 AM

Why do you not go for the Onkyo TX-SR607, is a very good receiver, has 6 HDMI in in the back, and have 1 HDMI in the front.

Just look for your self:

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=i

http://www.onkyousa.com/Video/TX-SR607final.swf
post #909 of 2547 Old 07-30-2009, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

I even tried to bargain the price. No help...

Maybe I should buy the US version and 110V/220V transformer adapter

winston9332, I saw your pics taken inside of the JVC. Could you see that there would be any switch about 110V / 220V?
I haven't seen any pics from behind. US manual says "110V / 60Hz".
If it has been made easy and cheap, it would be universal.
Maybe this is hoping for too much?

Don't know about 50Hz and 60Hz playback on this device. Does it handle both (the US or EU version)?

Im in Australia bought mine in the states and use a stepdown transformer, works well!
post #910 of 2547 Old 07-30-2009, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Im reading Watchmen dc version has problems with some players, has anyone here watched it on the JVC?
post #911 of 2547 Old 07-30-2009, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by everunman View Post

Im reading Watchmen dc version has problems with some players, has anyone here watched it on the JVC?

i think there were a batch of watchmen discs that were flawed. even ps3 owners reported freezes at various pts. most forums have issues with only certain copies of this title. i think we can blame dodgy discs solely in this case
post #912 of 2547 Old 07-30-2009, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung View Post

Here is a review on the JVC XV-BP1 from Hometheaterreview.com. Not very indepth though.
http://hometheaterreview.com/jvc-xv-...ayer-reviewed/

Quote:

do you think they even tested one? at least SOMEONE is looking at it.

Quote:

I don't think they even played with it. Looks like they just saw a press release and wrote an article from that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

That's not a review, they're just listing features. You got me excited for nothing.

Yeah, you're right about that, the article is not even worthy of calling itself a review. Quoted directly from the article itself: "We have not performed a hands-on review of the XV-BP1, but here is an overview of its features."
post #913 of 2547 Old 07-30-2009, 10:28 PM

Hey fellas I'm having a problem and I'm not sure if its the BR player, or TV or receiver related... so I'm posting in here first (and I'm sorry if this is in the wrong spot).

I bought the XVBP1 today from HHGregg... the only store around here that is even selling it! Anyway... I came home very excited and quickly set it up via HDMI to my receiver.

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V665
TV: Samsung LN46A750

The receiver is going to my TV via HDMI. And the BR is going from HDMI to the receiver. Ok, all bases covered, right?

Turn on TV, receiver, and player. Hear some static noises coming from TV. It goes away. My girlfriend had never seen Watchmen before, so I popped it in. Any time the disc plays audio... my TV speakers make static noise. IRRITATING static noise. I was like OMG wth!!! So I turned the TV volume to zero and I can still hear the static clear as day. OK... maybe my HDMI cable is bad? I swapped out the cable connecting the player to the receiver. And STILL I hear the static. I changed to my cable TV which is also connected to the receiver via HDMI and the static is gone. I swapped HDMI ports with the BR player and i still hear static.

So I finally found an option in the TV menu to turn the TV speaker off so I could watch Watchmen in peace, but the issue still exists!

What the hell is going on!

CURRENT OPERATION: 2.0
XBLive!: DJBeanPole

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #914 of 2547 Old 07-31-2009, 01:09 AM

Liked: 13
Okay, let's talk prices for this unit for people who don't live near an HHGregg. I found one at amazon.com for $217.00 which includes shipping. Does anyone know if it can be had online for any cheaper?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #915 of 2547 Old 07-31-2009, 05:41 AM

If you're in the mid-west/CO/AZ, etc. and have an Ultimate Electronics near you they had it for $199 when I bought mine last week. There were seven of them stacked in the floor, right next to seven Pioneer 51FDs.
post #916 of 2547 Old 07-31-2009, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBeanPole View Post

Hey fellas I'm having a problem and I'm not sure if its the BR player, or TV or receiver related... so I'm posting in here first (and I'm sorry if this is in the wrong spot).

I bought the XVBP1 today from HHGregg... the only store around here that is even selling it! Anyway... I came home very excited and quickly set it up via HDMI to my receiver.

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V665
TV: Samsung LN46A750

The receiver is going to my TV via HDMI. And the BR is going from HDMI to the receiver. Ok, all bases covered, right?

Turn on TV, receiver, and player. Hear some static noises coming from TV. It goes away. My girlfriend had never seen Watchmen before, so I popped it in. Any time the disc plays audio... my TV speakers make static noise. IRRITATING static noise. I was like OMG wth!!! So I turned the TV volume to zero and I can still hear the static clear as day. OK... maybe my HDMI cable is bad? I swapped out the cable connecting the player to the receiver. And STILL I hear the static. I changed to my cable TV which is also connected to the receiver via HDMI and the static is gone. I swapped HDMI ports with the BR player and i still hear static.

So I finally found an option in the TV menu to turn the TV speaker off so I could watch Watchmen in peace, but the issue still exists!

What the hell is going on!

do you have noise when player is hooked up directly to the tv? you need to isolate the source here
post #917 of 2547 Old 07-31-2009, 10:15 AM

winston I'll give that a shot and get back to you. I did get the "protection plan" so I can always take the unit back if I can't figure out this annoying issue!

post #918 of 2547 Old 07-31-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:

do you have noise when player is hooked up directly to the tv? you need to isolate the source here

Winston... well I'm still scratching my head on this one but...

It seems to have fixed itself. I turned it on with how it was hooked up from my complaint, I unmuted the TV speakers and I didn't hear a thing. I have no idea what happened there? But it seems to be working perfectly now and I'm a happy camper

Watched Watchmen last night, and while I don't have a 5.1 setup yet, the movie still looked great and sounded AMAZING. Bluray where have you been all my life!

post #919 of 2547 Old 07-31-2009, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBeanPole View Post

Winston... well I'm still scratching my head on this one but...

It seems to have fixed itself. I turned it on with how it was hooked up from my complaint, I unmuted the TV speakers and I didn't hear a thing. I have no idea what happened there? But it seems to be working perfectly now and I'm a happy camper

Watched Watchmen last night, and while I don't have a 5.1 setup yet, the movie still looked great and sounded AMAZING. Bluray where have you been all my life!

good to hear.
post #920 of 2547 Old 07-31-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung View Post

Yeah, you're right about that, the article is not even worthy of calling itself a review. Quoted directly from the article itself: "We have not performed a hands-on review of the XV-BP1, but here is an overview of its features."

That website is ridiculous. That quote about not having performed a hands-on review is in EVERY BD player review on the site!
post #921 of 2547 Old 07-31-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:

\\
JVC BD users from Holland, what is the street price over there?
I found this player in Germany with a price tag around 280-320 euros.

went to Saturn and MM today, it's 319 there and we dont have other shops who sell them. Internet prices are 239 (ex shipment, totals on 244) so you know what i am going to do next week
post #922 of 2547 Old 07-31-2009, 06:57 PM

Liked: 17
Just watched Iron man 1080p MKV burned to regular dvd+r and no issues what so ever.

Just got in New Doctor Who 1080i Bluray disk, i also burned the mkv version from BBC HD to dvd-r and they both look the same!
Bought it to make comparisons.

Other movies watched, "Chronicles of Riddick" 1080p MKV burned to dvd-r ..also have bluray disk for comparison...no issues...both disks look the same!

Wall-E mkv 720p burned to dvd-r disk- no issues
Underworld MKV burned to dvd-r-no issues

Until next time--
"saving lots o money with this player!"

matrixj
post #923 of 2547 Old 07-31-2009, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=matrixj3;16923228]Just watched Iron man 1080p MKV burned to regular dvd+r and no issues what so ever.

Just got in New Doctor Who 1080i Bluray disk, i also burned the mkv version from BBC HD to dvd-r and they both look the same!
Bought it to make comparisons.

Other movies watched, "Chronicles of Riddick" 1080p MKV burned to dvd-r ..also have bluray disk for comparison...no issues...both disks look the same!

Wall-E mkv 720p burned to dvd-r disk- no issues
Underworld MKV burned to dvd-r-no issues

Until next time--
"saving lots o money with this player!"[/QUOTE]

so true. that said, i would pay money for a firmware update to remove the blue lights!
post #924 of 2547 Old 07-31-2009, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

[quote=winston9332;16923273]
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixj3 View Post

Until next time--
"saving lots o money with this player!"[/QUOTE]

so true. that said, i would pay money for a firmware update to remove the blue lights!

Do they sound the same?
post #925 of 2547 Old 08-01-2009, 04:15 AM

Quote:

I just checked the pictures on the German Areadvd site, it seems to be the same as the inside of the LG BD370 (). What is exactly the difference between the two players?
post #926 of 2547 Old 08-01-2009, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel0672 View Post

I just checked the pictures on the German Areadvd site, it seems to be the same as the inside of the LG BD370 (). What is exactly the difference between the two players?

Very interesting!
At least, BD370 doesn't have X.v.Color option and has a lot of lip sync problems (what I have found out).
post #927 of 2547 Old 08-01-2009, 06:06 AM

Obviously they are made in the same plant and they appear to have the same hardware internally. There was mention of a $1500 NAD earlier in the thread that appears to be built on the same platform as well.

The difference is the firmware. LG gives you Netflix, etc. streaming and the JVC is significantly better at DVD upscaling/deinterlacing and apparently at lip sync. See Winston's comparison. I certainly glad too because I hate the flip down face plate on the LG.
post #928 of 2547 Old 08-01-2009, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Obviously they are made in the same plant and they appear to have the same hardware internally. There was mention of a $1500 NAD earlier in the thread that appears to be built on the same platform as well.

The difference is the firmware. LG gives you Netflix, etc. streaming and the JVC is significantly better at DVD upscaling/deinterlacing and apparently at lip sync. See Winston's comparison. I certainly glad too because I hate the flip down face plate on the LG.

I know we have had this discussion before, but the two are nearly identical in hardware, but very different in actual performance.

i also think the video dacs are better in the JVC based upon specs alone. The LG 370 has had firmware updates - the JVC had not had one yet. They have different IR codes (although NAD and LG have the same). Load times for the same disc differ as much as five seconds between the two.

I do think the two share the same bones (as may the $2K NAD player), but the Blu Ray game is more and more about software than hardware these days, especially as a pure HDMI transport (i know purists will view that statement as anathema).
post #929 of 2547 Old 08-01-2009, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i think there were a batch of watchmen discs that were flawed. even ps3 owners reported freezes at various pts. most forums have issues with only certain copies of this title. i think we can blame dodgy discs solely in this case

Agreed. I do believe this is a disk issue. My first Watchmen disk had issues. Took it back to BB. 2nd one plays fine.

The CS person at BB said that they had more returns for Watchmen because of playability issues than any other BD he could remember.

Warner has some problems with Watchmen, at least certain batches, so it seems.

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #930 of 2547 Old 08-01-2009, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post

Agreed. I do believe this is a disk issue. My first Watchmen disk had issues. Took it back to BB. 2nd one plays fine.

The CS person at BB said that they had more returns for Watchmen because of playability issues than any other BD he could remember.

Warner has some problems with Watchmen, at least certain batches, so it seems.

the quality of blu ray!!!
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page