post #181 of 2547 Old 05-30-2009, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ***********3 View Post

Are you upscaling to 1080p or 720P? If 720p be sure to lock the player to 720p as it defaults to 1080i and I also noticed the softness at 1080i. 1080i is not this player's strong point.

Also, I must say I am quite irritated by JVC censoring the reviews that appear on their webpage. I wrote a 4 star review but complained a lot about the lack of NTFS support about a week ago and they still didn't post it, while they did post another review that was written after mine (a five star review).

I was upscaling at 1080P, since my plasma display will accept 1080P.

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2547 Old 05-31-2009, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just ripped this player apart, and I'm a bit surprised by the internals. It's a blu-ray drive hooked up via a standard SATA cable to the mainboard (think it's a Matsushita BD04 drive). I've removed the power supply and the mainboard from the case, and I'm attempting to remove the heatsinks to get a look at which chipset they used underneath.

I think this player has a huge potential for mods - I can easily see adding more USB ports, and even better, I think I can add an 2.5in INTERNAL laptop hard drive via the sata port on the motherboard. I'll be trying some stuff later on.

EDIT: The more I look at this the more I think it's just a proprietary version of a microATX computer...it's got a sata port on the motherboard, uses realtek LAN, has a 3.3v and 12 lines on the power supply...I have to run to church but I'll report more when I get back
post #183 of 2547 Old 05-31-2009, 01:47 PM

While you are tinkering; see if there is a way to disable those blue lights in the front.
post #184 of 2547 Old 05-31-2009, 01:55 PM

Amen on the blue lights. I just cut some small round pieces of black electrical tape and covered them up,not to pretty but it works.

Dale B
post #185 of 2547 Old 05-31-2009, 03:36 PM

Okay, it's 100% possible to add more USB ports. I'm going to add a rear mounted one so the hard drive wire doesn't have to be visible from the front when it's plugged in. It is also possible to add an internal hard drive via USB, as long as the hard drive can be spun up with under 500ma. What I'm not sure of if it's possible to add a hub - I'm going to try this, but I doubt it.

As for the blue LED's, they use a whopping SEVEN blue LED's inside. The good news is that they can be easily blocked from the inside. It's very easy; anyone with a screwdriver can do it in 5min.

Steps to block blue LED's -

1. Unscrew the lid from the chassis. There should be three screws along the perimeter of the casing. The cover will slide right off.

2. Unplug the flat white ribbon cable from the mainboard. It comes out easily.

3. Look at the front bezel of the player. Start from either the far left or the far right side. There should be clips on the side, top, and bottom. You can easily do this with your fingers - just pry up on the clips gently and pull the bezel away from the front of the machine. The bottom clips need to be pulled up more than the top and side ones do. Don't break the clips; it should come off fairly easily.

4. Now that you have the bezel off, look inside the bezel. Unscrew the 5 screws holding the circuit board into the bezel and flip the circuit board over. You'll see the LCD readout. Look to the right of the LCD - you will see six white cylinders protruding from the pcb. Those are the LED's (they are even labeled). Cover them with electric tape.

5. Reassemble. You shouldn't be able to see anymore annoying blue LED's.
post #186 of 2547 Old 05-31-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:

Okay, it's 100% possible to add more USB ports. I'm going to add a rear mounted one so the hard drive wire doesn't have to be visible from the front when it's plugged in. It is also possible to add an internal hard drive via USB, as long as the hard drive can be spun up with under 500ma. What I'm not sure of if it's possible to add a hub - I'm going to try this, but I doubt it.

As for the blue LED's, they use a whopping SEVEN blue LED's inside. The good news is that they can be easily blocked from the inside. It's very easy; anyone with a screwdriver can do it in 5min.

Steps to block blue LED's -

1. Unscrew the lid from the chassis. There should be three screws along the perimeter of the casing. The cover will slide right off.

2. Unplug the flat white ribbon cable from the mainboard. It comes out easily.

3. Look at the front bezel of the player. Start from either the far left or the far right side. There should be clips on the side, top, and bottom. You can easily do this with your fingers - just pry up on the clips gently and pull the bezel away from the front of the machine. The bottom clips need to be pulled up more than the top and side ones do. Don't break the clips; it should come off fairly easily.

4. Now that you have the bezel off, look inside the bezel. Unscrew the 5 screws holding the circuit board into the bezel and flip the circuit board over. You'll see the LCD readout. Look to the right of the LCD - you will see six white cylinders protruding from the pcb. Those are the LED's (they are even labeled). Cover them with electric tape.

5. Reassemble. You shouldn't be able to see anymore annoying blue LED's.

You da man! Thanks
Anxiously awaiting to hear on the chipset.
post #187 of 2547 Old 05-31-2009, 03:58 PM

As for the chipset, this might sound crazy, but I have a suspicion that JVC might be doing the upconversion and videoprocessing in SOFTWARE. There is no dedicated upscaling chip on the entire PCB. The only processor of any kind is a rather large IC labeled ARM with a M on it. I'm assuming it's an ARM processor of the Matsushita brand, but I could be completely off base. Also, on the underside of the PCB I found flash memory, when we know that the player has none available. It would make sense that the OS and firmware is loaded on here.

I'm suspecting that JVC basically gave us what amounts to a dumbed down HTPC here - literally everything is handled via software by a general processor (the arm unit). That would explain why the upscaling is so good, the bluray drive with a SATA interface, the realtek LAN, as well as to the generous codec support and fast loading times.

EDIT: Trying to expand the SATA port is a no-go, it won't read a hard drive in an external enclosure. I'm trying to find a female USB port I can cannabalize on an older piece of equipment I have laying around so I can add the internal hard drive.
post #188 of 2547 Old 05-31-2009, 04:56 PM

Thanks for all this info, and how to disable the LEDs. Keep us updated!

Quote:

As for the chipset, this might sound crazy, but I have a suspicion that JVC might be doing the upconversion and videoprocessing in SOFTWARE. There is no dedicated upscaling chip on the entire IC. The only processor of any kind is a rather large IC labeled ARM with a M on it. I'm assuming it's an ARM processor of the Matsushita brand, but I could be completely off base. Also, on the underside of the PCB I found flash memory, when we know that the player has none available. It would make sense that the OS and firmware is loaded on here.

I'm suspecting that JVC basically gave us what amounts to a dumbed down HTPC here - literally everything is handled via software by a general processor (the arm unit). That would explain why the upscaling is so good, the bluray drive with a SATA interface, the realtek LAN, as well as to the generous codec support and fast loading times.

EDIT: Trying to expand the SATA port is a no-go, it won't read a hard drive in an external enclosure. I'm trying to find a female USB port I can cannabalize on an older piece of equipment I have laying around so I can add the internal hard drive.

post #189 of 2547 Old 05-31-2009, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info. Please keep letting us know how your work goes...sounds like you are having fun playing with it

fafner
post #190 of 2547 Old 05-31-2009, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

Really interested and liking what I'm hearing here. I currently have a PS3 that I have had zero issues with that is used 95% for Blu-rays. The idea of a stand-alone was never a big deal to me. Probably because almost every stand-alone released has had issues to overcome. If JVC can show they are willing to support this player, I'm in.
post #191 of 2547 Old 06-01-2009, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

As for the chipset, this might sound crazy, but I have a suspicion that JVC might be doing the upconversion and videoprocessing in SOFTWARE. There is no dedicated upscaling chip on the entire PCB.

***********, this is great information and thank you for being a bit adventurous with a screwdriver!

Has anybody had the chance to put the player through the paces of a test disk? Curious what film cadences trip the player up (if any).
post #192 of 2547 Old 06-01-2009, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Will this thing play DVD .ISO files from an external USB drive?
post #193 of 2547 Old 06-01-2009, 10:25 AM

I got this thing up and running over the weekend - very easy to setup. I changed the settings to output 1080p to my projector and then tested for AVCHD and ripped files on a thumb drive. The AVCHD was burned to a normal DVD using Panasonic software that came with the camera. The JVC played the disc flawlessly. I also copied a VIDEO_TS folder to a USB thumbdrive (along with a folder of .jpg photos) and the JVC navigated the folders properly and played the DVD rips with only one issue - the chapter skip buttons actually skipped to the next .VOB rather than the next chapter. I haven't tried playing an .ISO file yet. Photos displayed quickly and the slideshow feature works well.
post #194 of 2547 Old 06-01-2009, 11:11 AM

any good online vendors sell this player....I cant find a store in Austin that carries it.
post #195 of 2547 Old 06-01-2009, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayna_95 View Post

I also copied a VIDEO_TS folder to a USB thumbdrive (along with a folder of .jpg photos) and the JVC navigated the folders properly and played the DVD rips with only one issue - the chapter skip buttons actually skipped to the next .VOB rather than the next chapter. I haven't tried playing an .ISO file yet. Photos displayed quickly and the slideshow feature works well.

This worked fine for me too and in fact I got better PQ that playing the same file on my very high end HPTC.

But I still want to get HD files to somehow play on this machine. Then I will be very happy.

fafner
post #196 of 2547 Old 06-01-2009, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar99 View Post

any good online vendors sell this player....I cant find a store in Austin that carries it.

i just got mine from buy.com - about tweny under 250
post #197 of 2547 Old 06-01-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafner View Post

This worked fine for me too and in fact I got better PQ that playing the same file on my very high end HPTC.

But I still want to get HD files to somehow play on this machine. Then I will be very happy.

fafner

hhgregg.com has it for 229.97 free shipping.
post #198 of 2547 Old 06-02-2009, 05:51 AM

I'm wondering if this player is related to the new NAD T587 Blu-ray player. The back panels are nearly identical, as are the types of discs that both players can play. The front USB port is also in the same spot on both players. In addition, the NAD boasts a very fast loading time just like the JVC. Perhaps both players have the same 'guts'? If that's the case, then I feel like I REALLY got a bargain since the NAD sells for $1499.00!

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NAT587
http://nadelectronics.com/products/d...y-Disc-Player/
post #199 of 2547 Old 06-02-2009, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I got this thing up and running over the weekend - very easy to setup. I changed the settings to output 1080p to my projector and then tested for AVCHD and ripped files on a thumb drive. The AVCHD was burned to a normal DVD using Panasonic software that came with the camera. The JVC played the disc flawlessly. I also copied a VIDEO_TS folder to a USB thumbdrive (along with a folder of .jpg photos) and the JVC navigated the folders properly and played the DVD rips with only one issue - the chapter skip buttons actually skipped to the next .VOB rather than the next chapter. I haven't tried playing an .ISO file yet. Photos displayed quickly and the slideshow feature works well.

Thanks for the reply. This seems to be a really nice player. I'm curious as to how well this player handles deinterlacing, scaling, chroma, cadence, etc.
post #200 of 2547 Old 06-02-2009, 07:02 AM

Liked: 11
Did anybody try an ext2 formated hard drive yet?
post #201 of 2547 Old 06-02-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodynamics View Post

Will this thing play DVD .ISO files from an external USB drive?

I tried this last night to no avail. The JVC doesn't recognize the .ISO file - it doesn't even show up in the directory listing. The machine apparently filters by file extension into one of 3 categories, Video, Photos, or Music, when it loads the flash drive.

On another note, however, I was able to get it to read the contents of VIDEO_TS folders on a FAT32 formatted USB hard drive. Of course formatting a large drive as FAT32 while using a Windows XP machine was more painful than necessary.
post #202 of 2547 Old 06-02-2009, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On another note, however, I was able to get it to read the contents of VIDEO_TS folders on a FAT32 formatted USB hard drive. Of course formatting a large drive as FAT32 while using a Windows XP machine was more painful than necessary.

Was the USB hard drive self powered or externally powered?

Thanks.

fafner
post #203 of 2547 Old 06-02-2009, 08:25 AM

Would one of the JVC owners please test something for me (if you don't know already)?

I know most players don't keep the resume position of blu-ray discs, but does this player have position resume memory for DVDs? If you are playing a DVD and eject it and play all/part of another DVD, does it keep the position of the first DVD when you put it back in? This is something that all of our current DVD players can do and we actually use that feature a lot.
post #204 of 2547 Old 06-02-2009, 10:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Thread reopened. BTW: Nothing wrong discussing whether the JVC and NAD are "related". The other thread that was dedicated to that one topic was locked since that discussion belongs in this master thread on the JVC player. Normally, that thread would have just been merged with this thread, but the discussion was already on-going here....so it made the dedicated thread redundant and therefore locked.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #205 of 2547 Old 06-02-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding View Post

I'm wondering if this player is related to the new NAD T587 Blu-ray player. The back panels are nearly identical, as are the types of discs that both players can play. The front USB port is also in the same spot on both players. In addition, the NAD boasts a very fast loading time just like the JVC. Perhaps both players have the same 'guts'? If that's the case, then I feel like I REALLY got a bargain since the NAD sells for $1499.00!

The UI screens depicted in the NAD user manual are identical to those on the JVC.

http://nadelectronics.com/img/manual/NAD-T587_EN.pdf
post #206 of 2547 Old 06-02-2009, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasb View Post

Would one of the JVC owners please test something for me (if you don't know already)?

I know most players don't keep the resume position of blu-ray discs, but does this player have position resume memory for DVDs? If you are playing a DVD and eject it and play all/part of another DVD, does it keep the position of the first DVD when you put it back in? This is something that all of our current DVD players can do and we actually use that feature a lot.

That's something built in to the DVD spec, but optional on Blu-Ray discs themselves - so I think all the Blu-Ray players will auto resume with DVDs, even my crappo Sharp 1.0 does it.
post #207 of 2547 Old 06-02-2009, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The UI screens depicted in the NAD user manual are identical to those on the JVC.

http://nadelectronics.com/img/manual/NAD-T587_EN.pdf

also are very similar to the menus of my LG BH200 I believe
post #208 of 2547 Old 06-02-2009, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Point of order please: you agreed to abide by AVS rules and not to question Moderator actions when you signed up

please limit your posts to technical issues only
post #209 of 2547 Old 06-02-2009, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasb View Post

With limited testing if you are playing a DVD and eject it and play all/part of another DVD it does not keep the position of the 1st DVD. However, you can play, eject and insert the 1st DVD and it does keep the position as long as another disc has not been played.

Respectfully,
Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #210 of 2547 Old 06-02-2009, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding View Post

They could be related, but at that price difference they are probably distant cousins.

Respectfully,
Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

Reply Blu-ray Players