post #451 of 3869 Old 05-04-2009, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 View Post

You all have made convincing arguments for why a newbie would enjoy this player. However, I can also see the majority of them not understanding how Oppo works (another firmware?!!) or unfavorably comparing the price to mass market machines. I'd like to see the Oppos in the hands of those who KNOW why they want one vs the merely curious.

Either way I'll offer help to newbie/veteran alike.

There's two pieces to that. First, firmware updates go hand-in-hand with Blu-ray players (at least those that get the manufacturer support they deserve). Simple disc compatibility issues alone guarantee that, and the nature of developing machines this crazily complex just compounds it. Newbies are going to need to recognize that fact no matter what player they buy. Fortunately, firmware updates don't get much faster or easier than with the BDP-83. (My BD30 Blu-ray player takes longer, although it's improved from the earliest updates that took 10+ minutes to load, and my HD-A2 HD-DVD player was downright glacial when it came to firmware updates.)

Second, there's the cost relative to mass market machines. This has always been true for OPPO. When the 971H arrived, it cost $200 and a basic DVD player from a recognized brand could be had for $50 or $60. Today we have the BDP-83 at $500 when a basic Blu-ray player can be had for $200 if cost is your only concern. OPPO doesn't plan to snap up huge portions of that customer base, and never has. There are still plenty of folks (both veterans of home theater and newcomers) who want a good Blu-ray player, though, and I see the BDP-83 as an excellent choice for them. They get a good product (one might even argue a truly excellent product) along with great customer support (to help with the questions that somebody like smarty-pants (or other non-newbies) wouldn't need to ask as well as tougher questions).

When it comes to the BDP-83, I'm as curious to see user feedback from newcomers to Blu-ray as I am to see feedback from old pros who have half a dozen more expensive players stacked up in the corner. I also think both groups can be well served by this player.

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3869 Old 05-04-2009, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Well this is news.

Maybe I'm reading the message incorrectly but check out this post. Was he part of EAP?

Oppo Beta Group
post #453 of 3869 Old 05-04-2009, 09:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 178
No.
post #454 of 3869 Old 05-04-2009, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

So what I just posted is wrong?... and he did just buy the player from OPPO?... or was it obtained via other means?

I'm assuming he was able to use the "pick up" option in Mountain View headquarters.

I used the $18 method, with no tax.
post #455 of 3869 Old 05-05-2009, 04:18 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by x43x View Post

How is the rewind and fast forward response on the Oppo compared to other players, specifically the Panasonics? My BD30 takes a few seconds to get going and an additional wait with every speed increase. This is only with Blu-Rays though, DVD shuttling is fine. I figured this was just a caveat of the BD format, but maybe the Oppo handles it better?

It handles it better.

-Bill
post #456 of 3869 Old 05-05-2009, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Before I pull the trigger on a new Oppo, I need a nagging question answered. Is the Oppo the best out there at SD upscaling? Anything reasonably priced that is better?
post #457 of 3869 Old 05-05-2009, 05:04 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post

Before I pull the trigger on a new Oppo, I need a nagging question answered. Is the Oppo the best out there at SD upscaling? Anything reasonably priced that is better?

Some thoughts in the FAQ: Is the DVD picture quality of this player amazingly better than any other player?

-Bill
post #458 of 3869 Old 05-05-2009, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanhugh View Post

I apologize in advance is this has been asked before, but I've skimmed through and didn't see what I was looking for....

What is the actual speed difference between the oppo and the 51fd? I've seen posts where people say much faster, a lot faster...but Im trying to get an idea in actual seconds...minutes..

Can anyone help me out with this? This is the deciding factor for me....

Speed Test (times are average) ± 1 second
-Power on to No Disc message

a. Pioneer BDP-51FD - 24 seconds
b. Oppo BDP-83 - 11 seconds

-Load Disc (from tray open to Top Menu) DVD - Used DVD LOTR Fellow Of The Rings part 1
a. Pioneer BDP-51FD - 37 seconds
b. Oppo BDP-83 - 13 seconds

-Load Disc (from tray open to Blu-ray Splash Screen) Blu-ray Wanted
a. Pioneer BDP-51FD - 1 minute, 24 seconds
b. Oppo BDP-83 - 37 seconds

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #459 of 3869 Old 05-05-2009, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoChe View Post

No doubt. The PS3 is still a MONSTER. You want to talk about versatility, nothing comes close to the PS3. And all for $399.

LaoChoe,

It all depends on what is considered versatility. I had a PS3 briefly in my setup, but returned it. It didn't work with my Harmony One, sounded like a jet engine (exaggeration) and I'm not a gamer. I bought it specifically for blu-ray playback, since it was being taught as the best available blu-ray player. If you are a gamer then the added benefit of blu-ray and the ability to serve as a media server and stream video (correct me if I'm wrong) makes this a good purchase. However, if you only criteria is blu-ray and dvd playback then there are other options including the Oppo. If I'm missing something; someone else chime in.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #460 of 3869 Old 05-05-2009, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonk View Post

When it comes to the BDP-83, I'm as curious to see user feedback from newcomers to Blu-ray as I am to see feedback from old pros who have half a dozen more expensive players stacked up in the corner. I also think both groups can be well served by this player.

Gonk,

Newcomers would really appreciate the Oppo if they had to wade through the previous offerings in blu-ray. Since most are most likely coming from dvd players the Oppo would be a great introduction since it behaves closer to a dvd player than any of the present blu-ray offerings. I would hate to have a newbie sit down in from of my Pioneer 51FD and have to wait for a blu-ray disc to load. While it would be worth the wait; a newbie may start boxing up the Pioneer.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #461 of 3869 Old 05-05-2009, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

Gonk,

Newcomers would really appreciate the Oppo if they had to wade through the previous offerings in blu-ray. Since most are most likely coming from dvd players the Oppo would be a great introduction since it behaves closer to a dvd player than any of the present blu-ray offerings. I would hate to have a newbie sit down in from of my Pioneer 51FD and have to wait for a blu-ray disc to load. While it would be worth the wait; a newbie may start boxing up the Pioneer.

Quite true - a newcomer to Blu-ray who uses the BDP-83 is going to have the benefit of HD video and the new audio codecs (even if he lacks an HDMI receiver, thanks to the onboard decoding and analog outputs) as well as the DVD performance, but he won't have the sluggish operational issues of early players. That means all of the benefits of Blu-ray (and the corresponding initial "wow" factor, especially for larger screens) without the irritations. Sort of a case of "you don't know what you missed - and that particular ignorance really is bliss..."

gonk
post #462 of 3869 Old 05-05-2009, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:

LaoChoe,

It all depends on what is considered versatility. I had a PS3 briefly in my setup, but returned it. It didn’t work with my Harmony One, sounded like a jet engine (exaggeration) and I’m not a gamer. I bought it specifically for blu-ray playback, since it was being taught as the “best” available blu-ray player. If you are a gamer then the added benefit of blu-ray and the ability to serve as a media server and stream video (correct me if I’m wrong) makes this a good purchase. However, if you only criteria is blu-ray and dvd playback then there are other options including the Oppo. If I’m missing something; someone else chime in.

There are many, many things the BDP-83 offers that differenciates it from the PS3.
Some highlights to add to your list...
-Bitstreaming of advanced hi-res audio
-Extended compatability with user created media types
-Dvd-Audio and SACD playback
-Dedicated back-lit OEM remote
-IT FITS IN YOUR AUDIO RACK!
-Top notch customer service and support
-Many audio and video settings are VERY tweakable and offer more options
-Source Direct mode
-ABT:VRS scaling/deinterlacing solution
ect... ect... ect...

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #463 of 3869 Old 05-05-2009, 10:00 AM

It's really too bad they couldn't toss in some composite and s-video inputs so I can use this player as a video processor too... it really is a swiss army knife as far as players go!

I can't wait until these guys create an AV receiver.
post #464 of 3869 Old 05-05-2009, 10:08 AM
DAB
AVS Special Member

Has anyone had direct contact with "cheap/inexpensive/walmart or equivalent" BR DVD players? I am asking about the built quality of the machine them self- will thry break down in 14 months.. Granted cheap BR machine are still new- 2yrs or so. But will they hold up for 4+ years. And what is cheap $100-$175?? I guess what i am asking is if some purchased a $175 to day would they have to go out in 2 yrs and purchase another one. so in a span of 4 years you have spent $400.{yes new features every 6mo.'s comes into play} . I don't see anything knocking BR off the shelf for even 5 yrs. from now.
post #465 of 3869 Old 05-05-2009, 10:23 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:

Gonk,

Very true. I had a Samsung 1400 that would black out about 3x per movie, replaced by a 51 that is fantastic if you are patient. I've decided to pick up an 83 to consolidate my 980H and 51's abilities and free up a bit of space on the shelf.

post #466 of 3869 Old 05-05-2009, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post

Has anyone had direct contact with "cheap/inexpensive/walmart or equivalent" BR DVD players? I am asking about the built quality of the machine them self- will thry break down in 14 months.. Granted cheap BR machine are still new- 2yrs or so. But will they hold up for 4+ years. And what is cheap $100-$175?? I guess what i am asking is if some purchased a $175 to day would they have to go out in 2 yrs and purchase another one. so in a span of 4 years you have spent $400.{yes new features every 6mo.'s comes into play} . I don't see anything knocking BR off the shelf for even 5 yrs. from now.

Let's not even go down to the bottom of the barrel. Just look at some of the more expensive players like the Samsung players from the last 2 years. A lot of the players from just two years ago, their drives are breaking down already, and these are players that retailed for as much as $1000.
It's more about the quality of the player, than the price. Although most of the time, it does ring true that you get what you pay for.

There's no doubt in my mind that this coming holiday season will bring $99 Blu-ray players to the table.
How long would you really expect one of those to last?
I'm not one to buy extended warranties, but this may be a good case for one. With a tip of a hat, you can usually get one for pretty cheap from places like Best Buy, because they base the price of the warranty on the price of the player.

So for instance, buying an avaerage player from Best Buy for $175, it'd probably be worth the money to get the warranty and spend $200 for the player. This would give you a basic Blu-ray player to be used for a long time.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #467 of 3869 Old 05-05-2009, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

I posted this in the Denon avr-1909 thread, but hoped I might get some feedback here as well (someone w/ Denon avr & Oppo a/b DAC's, fingers crossed)...

I have a Denon avr-1909 (love it) & am upgrading Panasonic BD35 blu-ray to Oppo BDP-83 blu-ray player (ordered & due in a week or two).

Currently I use HDMI set @ bitstream w/ Audyssey calibration/ MultiEQ settings employed, & would prefer to continue doing so w/ Oppo for home theater purposes.

If I want to utilize multi-channel analog output connections from Oppo DAC's for Redbook CD listening w/ my 5.1 speaker system (av123 ELT 525 towers & center, 12 Rythmik servo sub & Paradigm Cinema 110 surrounds):

I would run 6 RCA cables from Oppo to Denon analog Ext IN connections (I did this originally when I had a Toshiba X-A1 HD DVD player), & say use CD as input source & select Ext In. Am I going about this the right way?

It's my understanding that I lose Audyssey capabilities w/ multi-channel analog & would have to use Oppo speaker/ bass management. Correct?

If so, it will be interesting to see which CD-audio listening option is best: Denon DAC's WITH wonderful Audyssey calibration vs. Oppo potentially better DAC's w/ Oppo speaker management.

Any comments/ recommends from someone that has done this/ or something like this would be appreciated.
post #468 of 3869 Old 05-05-2009, 11:17 AM

OK, someone please offer their opinion on this. I own a PS3 (used for gaming and my Blu-Ray player) and an Oppo 981 DVD player, which run to an Onkyo 605 (meaning I can handle Dolby TrueHD and DTS-Master Audio). Can someone justify one way or the other whether or not I should go ahead and also get the Oppo BDP-83? I know it's all personal preference, but I would still like a few honest opinions. Please!? Thanks!
post #469 of 3869 Old 05-05-2009, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

rhcorolla, I can see two options for using the BDP-83's analog output.

One option is to use the stereo analog output, either to a stereo analog input on the Denon (assuming it offers an "analog bypass" mode that would preserve the analog input) or to the Ext In left/right connections (if there is no "analog bypass" mode for stereo inputs). In this scenario, there would be no bass management at all (no subwoofer signal) and no Audyssey.

A second option is to do what you originally described, connecting six RCA cables (or at very least three - left, right, and sub) from the BDP-83 to the Ext In connections. The BDP-83 would provide bass management using the fixed 80Hz crossover, but there would be no Audyssey. By connecting a set of six cables, you could also compare this path to the digital path for multichannel discs (DVD, Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-Audio).

The trade-offs of analog vs digital will depend on several factors, and since you have Audyssey in your receiver one of those will be room acoustics. A room that benefits greatly from Audyssey correction will be more likely to yield better sound with the digital connection. On the other hand, a room that is fairly well-behaved to begin with (and thus benefiting less from Audyssey) will yield different results. In my BDP-83 review, I noted that I was surprised when my wife observed that CD's sounded better via analog output than digital. My Onkyo 885 processor also employs Audyssey, but the benefits of electronic room correction and EQ in my room are not as significant as in some other cases because the room's acoustics are pretty good to begin with.

gonk
post #470 of 3869 Old 05-05-2009, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I think he should post those questions in the Denon 1909 thread. As I remember, in certain Denons the analog ins are converted to digital and then sent to the DSP with Audyssey's magic still used. So, bass management within the player wouldn't be needed, although there's that conversion chain that you may want to avoid. Not sure about this particular AVR though. You may also want to PM to Batpig with those questions.
post #471 of 3869 Old 05-05-2009, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshouse View Post

OK, someone please offer their opinion on this. I own a PS3 (used for gaming and my Blu-Ray player) and an Oppo 981 DVD player. Can someone justify one way or the other whether or not I should go ahead and also get the Oppo BDP-83? I know it's all personal preference, but I would still like a few honest opinions. Please!? Thanks!

I'll toss out a few questions instead of an answer. (I know, it's obnoxious, but it might be helpful...)

Does your receiver support HDMI v1.1 or higher? If not, the BDP-83 will offer you access to lossless audio from Blu-ray discs, which can be a significant plus.

How many DVD's do you watch and how large is your screen? A larger screen or a lot of DVD viewing can pretty readily justify the BDP-83's improvements in DVD video performance over both the PS3 and 981HD.

How happy are you with the PS3 as a Blu-ray player? Is it convenient to use (remote control) and do you find yourself bothered by fan noise when watching a movie?

gonk
post #472 of 3869 Old 05-05-2009, 11:43 AM

Answers: Yes, my receiver supports lossless audio (Onkyo 605). I've obviously not been using the PS3 for bitstreaming, which the Oppo would allow me to do (and then get the beautiful lights on my receiver to come on for the first time lol). I own a 50" Panasonic plasma (720p). I own a rather large set of DVD's, and have enjoyed watching them on the 981HD. The PS3 is annoying in that I have to use the controller than my Harmony remote for it, and the Oppo would solve that problem. The PS3 is louder than the Oppo will be, but when watching movies (especially action), I obviously don't notice the noise enough to bother me. I'm just trying to figure out if all that is worth $499.
post #473 of 3869 Old 05-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

rhcorolla, I can see two options for using the BDP-83's analog output....

My Onkyo 885 processor also employs Audyssey, but the benefits of electronic room correction and EQ in my room are not as significant as in some other cases because the room's acoustics are pretty good to begin with.

Unfortunately in my case my room acoustics are challenging to say the least: 18' x 12' x 8' live room w/ wood floors (diagonal subflooring & basement u/n), painted wood paneling walls, 4 door openings plus a brick wall @ back of plasma & front speakers. Locating sub behind listening/ viewing recliners in a corner yielded best results (due to front speaker area having a nearby door opening on 1 side).

I'll experiment, but wanted opinions from Denon and Oppo owners & others w/ Audyssey.

Thanks Gonk,

- from a East Tennessean who loves & visits Memphis regularly
post #474 of 3869 Old 05-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post

I think he should post those questions in the Denon 1909 thread.... You may also want to PM to Batpig with those questions.

Jim, see my 1st statement in my original post. Batpig has already responded. I was just hoping to get some comments from others.
post #475 of 3869 Old 05-05-2009, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshouse View Post

Answers: Yes, my receiver supports lossless audio (Onkyo 605). I've obviously not been using the PS3 for bitstreaming, which the Oppo would allow me to do (and then get the beautiful lights on my receiver to come on for the first time lol). I own a 50" Panasonic plasma (720p). I own a rather large set of DVD's, and have enjoyed watching them on the 981HD. The PS3 is annoying in that I have to use the controller than my Harmony remote for it, and the Oppo would solve that problem. The PS3 is louder than the Oppo will be, but when watching movies (especially action), I obviously don't notice the noise enough to bother me. I'm just trying to figure out if all that is worth $499.

The BDP-83 would be an upgrade from the 981HD for DVD's, and unless you have some non-Region 1 discs you could sell the 981HD to help cover some of the cost of the BDP-83. Whether the cost is worth it is something that each person has to decide individually, but I think you are doing the right thing by looking closely at it.

gonk
post #476 of 3869 Old 05-05-2009, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhcorolla View Post

Unfortunately in my case my room acoustics are challenging to say the least....

And you are happy with the Audyssey implementation at this point? I also have a very live room and it helps immensely. The Oppo should allow you to tailor the sound without affecting that Audyssey curve.
post #477 of 3869 Old 05-05-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:

The BDP-83 would be an upgrade from the 981HD for DVD's, and unless you have some non-Region 1 discs you could sell the 981HD to help cover some of the cost of the BDP-83. Whether the cost is worth it is something that each person has to decide individually, but I think you are doing the right thing by looking closely at it.

It is also possible that I move within the next 6 months to a larger house, and could use the PS3 in one location, and the BDP-83 in another. Currently, most of my nice AV stuff is in the family room, with another 37" LCD in the master bedroom. I'm thinking of purchasing another nice TV to replace the 50" Panasonic, so perhaps the BDP-83 will be a good part of my expansion.

Thanks for the responses.
post #478 of 3869 Old 05-05-2009, 12:47 PM
DAB
AVS Special Member

rhcorolla, i am not sure i can help you. but this what i have found( i wrote a review #1738 -i think) i have a Denon 3803 with a 5.1 Mch analog system-lots of cables. The Denon, has Ext.in for Mch analog also. I have a very acoustically challenged room like yours. I have done a pretty good job of calibrating with AVIA and one from a AVS member's Disc. with a SPL. When i get a new ARV i will get one with Audyssey, thou i have read, you can do as much with a RS_SPL in certain room conditions. I think my SQ for my room is pretty good everyone who has heard it remarks on the quality of the sound. So the 83' Mch. analog can be calibrated pretty successfully.
db- Beta Tester #9

""I would run 6 RCA cables from Oppo to Denon analog “Ext IN” connections (I did this originally when I had a Toshiba X-A1 HD DVD player), & say use CD as input source & select “Ext In”. Am I going about this the right way?"

That is what i have done.
"
post #479 of 3869 Old 05-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post

And you are happy with the Audyssey implementation at this point? I also have a very live room and it helps immensely. The Oppo should allow you to tailor the sound without affecting that Audyssey curve.

Absolutely positively. But it's my understanding that it is feast or famine re: Audyssey. HDMI hook-up no problem, but Denon DAC's must be utilized. Oppo DAC's w/ analog means no Audyssey

DAB, Thanks for the input. That's great to know. I need to be getting me a SPL meter to play around with anyways.
post #480 of 3869 Old 05-05-2009, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

The Denon DACs are only going to be utilized to send the info to the amps to send out to the speakers when you transfer a digital signal via HDMI. Prior to that everything stays as digital within the AVR. If you want to use the stereo analog outputs of the Oppo, this is where you will be converting them in the player, redigitizing them in the receiver to then be run through the DACs to the amps. Not sure why you are worrying about the process and wanting the analog connections.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page