Oppo BDP-83 or 83SE versus other blu ray players thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 3869 Old 05-22-2009, 06:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I think it is laughable at best to determine that one player is better than another because of the way the power cord fits into the power socket.
Also, what about the overall feature_set of each player?
Were the comparisons done on a properly calibrated display and sound system? Exactly what gear was used in doing these comparisons?
These are just questions to add to the other questions already asked.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3869 Old 05-22-2009, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Thanks for taking the time to put that together. One would expect that the audio quality of the BD60 to NOT perform as well as the other two. Nothing about its design nor expectations would lead one to consider audio playback being outstanding. It is an entry level player and in regards to build quality its probably a little more apples to apples to compare it to the Pioneer 120.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #723 of 3869 Old 05-22-2009, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post

Here is my comparison on the Oppo BDP-83, Pioneer BDP-320, and Panasonic DMP-BD60. The comparison was done with my parents 65 inch LCD display.

Build Quality
Oppo: Overall very good. Blu-ray tray has average feel to it and I couldn't hear any disc spinning. The power plug is loose when it is connected to the output on the back of the player.
Pioneer: Overall very good. Blu-ray tray has a solid feel to it and I couldn't hear any disc spinning. No issues with the power plug fitting unlike the Oppo.
Panny: Average build. Blu-ray tray has average feel to it and I could hear the disc spinning. No issues with the power plug fitting.
Winner: Pioneer BDP-320 due to its solid blu-ray tray and power plug that is not loose when connecting to the back of the unit.

Sound Quality (2 channel analog output for audio cd playback)
Oppo: Very good sound. Dynamic and had some depth. A little too bright for my taste.
Pioneer: Excellent sound. More dynamic than the oppo and music felt more open. The bass in the music is more pronounced. The music had a warm feel to it.
Panny: Not even close to the Oppo or the Pioneer. Music was way too bright with a harsh feel to it.
Winner: Pioneer BDP-320

Sound Quality (HDMI bitsteaming)
No difference in sound.

Picture Performance (DVD)
Oppo: Excellent. Lots of detail. Very clear. Sharp. Vibrant color. No artifacts.
Pioneer: Very good. Very detail. Clear, but with little bit of grain. Sharp. Vibrant color. I couldn't notice any artifact.
Panny: Good. Decent detail. Not as clear as the Pioneer and Oppo. A little too soft. A little vibrant color. I noticed a few artifacts such as jaggies.
Winner: Oppo BDP-83

Picture Performance (Blu-ray)
Oppo: Excellent. Vibrant color. Sharp. A little grainy picture. I noticed a few instances of uneven motion. I also noticed some lip sync issues.
Pioneer: Excellent. Very clear. Vibrant color. Sharp. No issues of any kind as I experience with the Oppo. Natural look.
Panny: Excellent. Very close to the Pioneer's pq, but it is a little less sharp. Glossy look to it.
Winner: Pioneer BDP-320

Fan Noise
Oppo: 99% of the time quiet. One time it became loud.
Pioneer: Quiet fan.
Panny: Noisy fan, but not bothersome.

Bootup and Loading Time
Oppo: 12 seconds bootup. Loading time is fast, but depends on bd movie.
Pioneer: 24 seconds bootup. Loading time is not to slow or not fast, but depends on bd movie.
Panny: Around 20 seconds bootup. Loading time is good, but depends on bd movie.

Conclusion
The Oppo BDP-83, Pioneer BDP-320, and Panasonic DMP-BD60 are excellent blu-ray players that cater to different crowds of people. Here are my recommendations on which blu-ray player is right for an individual.
Panasonic DMP-BD60: For someone who wants a excellent entry level blu-ray player with solid blu-ray picture, a few gimmicky items such as youtube and does not care about analog sound.
Pioneer BDP-320: For someone you wants high quality blu-ray picture and very good dvd playback. Also one who wants excellent analog sound quality. Don't care about any gimmicky items on blu-ray players.
Oppo BDP-83: For someone who wants excellent pq in blu-ray movies and dvds. That wants very good analog sound. That has a sacd and dvd-a collection or planning to start one up.

If you're planning to buy the Oppo BDP-83 just for fast loading times, it is not worth the price difference from either the BD60 or the 320. If you don't care about the extra features on the Oppo but want fast loading times, I'd recommended looking at the JVC blu-ray player or one of the new Samsung blu-ray players. If you want decent loading times go with a Panasonic blu-ray player. If you don't care for loading times and gimmicky items go with the Pioneer.

This week, I sold my Panasonic DMP-BD60 on ebay a couple of days ago, returned the Oppo BDP-83 yesterday, and I still have the Pioneer BDP-320.

Kage,

In your postings on the Oppo Owners thread you never stated that your power cord was loose. I know others had issues with their power cord. Was this some type of placebo effect? (lol) Also, you stated that it was the best blu-ray player you have ever owned. (lol) I guess that was true at that moment. Also, what gimmicky items are you referring to? Last, maybe the grain you are seeing is suppose to be there and the other players can’t resolve it if that makes any sense. I’m just a little confused, which is my state of mind most of the time if you ask my wife. I know all reviews are just opinions and I respect yours. I hope the Pioneer serves you for a long time.

Also, I see where you’ve owned quite a few blu-ray players which you listed in your Oppo posting.

“I received my Oppo BDP-83 yesterday and it's the best blu-ray player that I ever used. Its better than my Panasonic DMP-60 that I'm selling on ebay. My other blu-ray players that I had were:
1. Panasonic DMP-BD10a
2. Panasonic DMP-BD30
3. Panasonic DMP-BD35
4. Panasonic DMP-BD60
5. Pioneer BDP-51FD
6. Sony PS3”

Also, since you did a comparison of the Sony S550 and Panasonic BD55 I assume you’ve owned those as well.

Respectfully,
Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #724 of 3869 Old 05-22-2009, 07:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 173
A factor that I haven't seen mentioned so far is the consideration that a player's manufacturer will be around in 6 months or a year to continue releasing firmware updates as it appears that this is an ongoing thing.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #725 of 3869 Old 05-22-2009, 08:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

I think it is laughable at best to determine that one player is better than another because of the way the power cord fits into the power socket.
Also, what about the overall feature_set of each player?
Were the comparisons done on a properly calibrated display and sound system? Exactly what gear was used in doing these comparisons?
These are just questions to add to the other questions already asked.

I have a -83 and probably will be keeping it. But I did find Kage's review useful and relevant. Sure, the Oppo was a much larger feature set than the others he mentioned, but the point is that many people, such as me, are not at all interested in many of these features. (The discussion on the main Oppo thread seems to be totally dominated by people doing analog audio, SACD, etc.--everything EXCEPT BD and dvd upconversion, and hidef audio, all simply via HDMI.)

The things that makes we stay with the 83 are its superior dvd upconversion, speed and reliability, and outstanding customer support and confidence in timely upgrade support--not the wide 'feature set'. (Essentially all the players do a good job with BD and hidef audio, all over HDMI.)
post #726 of 3869 Old 05-22-2009, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

I am guessing you are being Sarcastic, but the funny thing is you could be right.

Yes my findings are with using my PS Audio - Premier "SC" Power Cable.
When I switch over to my Nordost Vishnu power cord, I do see a little of what may be considered a chroma resolution problem.

But hay that's all part of the fun of this hobby. Make it work!!

Also the good news is my oppo is shipped so I should have that for this weekend.
So in the mean time I will be sharpening my knives and getting out my bib.

silly,

Can we expect an unbiased opinion from you when you receive your Oppo? I only ask because I've seen you take an occasional jab at the Oppo on the Pioneer 09FD owner's thread; yet you want to take possession of one. I hope this isn't one of those I told you so kind of opinion. Another individual in the Pioneer 05FD/51FD owner's thread took delivery of the Oppo with no intention of keeping it. He just wanted to be able to say he returned it, when he implied that the Oppo was better at most things than the Pioneer in his setup. Actually, he's wearing that as some type of badge of honor the fact that he returned it. I don't care what you say against or for the Oppo, because it doesn't affect the Oppo in my setup.

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #727 of 3869 Old 05-22-2009, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

I have a -83 and probably will be keeping it. But I did find Kage's review useful and relevant. Sure, the Oppo was a much larger feature set than the others he mentioned, but the point is that many people, such as me, are not at all interested in many of these features. (The discussion on the main Oppo thread seems to be totally dominated by people doing analog audio, SACD, etc.--everything EXCEPT BD and dvd upconversion, and hidef audio, all simply via HDMI.)

The things that makes we stay with the 83 are its superior dvd upconversion, speed and reliability, and outstanding customer support and confidence in timely upgrade support--not the wide 'feature set'. (Essentially all the players do a good job with BD and hidef audio, all over HDMI.)

You make good points here.
However, I feel that his comparisons are full of "holes" and errors... as well as bias too.
Seems to me that he chose to pick out certain flaws of one player (like a slightly loose power cable ), and compare it to other players to boost those players' abilities.
Not to mention that some of the comparisons were not only not done side_by_side, but from long term memory.
There's no explenation of how the display or sound was calibrated, what tools and software/hardware were used for calibration, viewing environment, ect..., ect..., ect...
The graininess he was seeing in the picture, in undoubtedly from the ability of the player to produce a better PQ over the others, yet he chose to twist that into a negative in order to justify the purchase of a different player.
Buy the OPPO, don't buy the OPPO, doesn't matter to me... but to criticize "on a curve" is just not right, and everyone who reads it is not deserving of exposure to such tripe.

The positive things you describe about the BDP-83 are all true, and IMO, even without useing the full feature set of the player, it is still worth the money for the very reasons you give. Maybe not to all people, especially when shopping on a tight budget, but for those that can afford it, it is certainly true. Obviously the poster of the review can not justify the expense of the OPPO for his personal needs.

Also in regard to the last sentence of your post...
This is true on one level, but on another level, reliability and service/support go hand in hand. If firmware is flakey or out of date, then how quickly and efficiently are other OEMs up to fixing any problems. Some are pretty good, and some are horrible. OPPO is the best IMO.

I think you are seeing lots of "analog" posts on the other OPPO thread because of the advanced capabilities of the player... lot's of people are buying it because of theat feature among others.
Blu-ray playback and decoding is VERY solid in the unit right now, so there is not much talk of it regarding setup questions and inquiries.
People are just watching movies and enjoying those features.
With all of the differnt gear out there, and with many multichannel analog setups being very complicated, there's bound to be more talk about it.
Personally I don't use that feature, so I kind of get tired of reading about it too. As active as the thread is, and will be for quite some time, I feel it would probably be best to have 2-3 different owners threads for the BDP-83.
Maybe one for analog audio, one for hi-res audio playbck, and then a main thread for eveything else OPPO.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #728 of 3869 Old 05-22-2009, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

...People are just watching movies and enjoying those features....

Agreed, and the comparison talk of stereo analog vs bitstream is to be expected. Now that the player is in the wild, more folks want to experiment with 2 channel listening from the dedicated outputs. I don't have them cabled, but many do want that added feature. I think that discussion will slow in the future.
post #729 of 3869 Old 05-22-2009, 09:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Blu-ray playback and decoding is VERY solid in the unit right now, so there is not much talk of it regarding setup questions and inquiries.
People are just watching movies and enjoying those features.
With all of the differnt gear out there, and with many multichannel analog setups being very complicated, there's bound to be more talk about it.
Personally I don't use that feature, so I kind of get tired of reading about it too. As active as the thread is, and will be for quite some time, I feel it would probably be best to have 2-3 different owners threads for the BDP-83.
Maybe one for analog audio, one for hi-res audio playbck, and then a main thread for eveything else OPPO.

Very good points: BD, dvd upconversion, hidef audio via bitstream, simply via HDMI, is outstanding and 'settled'; not much to talk about. And there's no question that Oppo beats all in its support, incl CONTINUING support after the 'horse is out of the barn'. So it is then simply a question of whether the 2x price of the Oppo (e.g., compared to the Panny BD60) is worth it. It is for me.
post #730 of 3869 Old 05-22-2009, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

Very good points: BD, dvd upconversion, hidef audio via bitstream, simply via HDMI, is outstanding and 'settled'; not much to talk about. And there's no question that Oppo beats all in its support, incl CONTINUING support after the 'horse is out of the barn'. So it is then simply a question of whether the 2x price of the Oppo (e.g., compared to the Panny BD60) is worth it. It is for me.

Same here, mine is coming next week. I was going to buy a Panasonic, they do make good stuff. For me, it's a bit of "future protection", hard to do these days when new codecs, formats, etc., come out almost weekly. I wanted a SINGLE player that could do the most. Up and till this Oppo, the choices were units that cost FAR more. Oppo got it right "price wise", giving lots of TECHIE stuff for $500.00, that is cheap compared to what it can do compared to some of the more expensive decks. I'm not expecting the "best player of all times", but should be a good unit for some years. As far as tech support, maybe in these times of mostly NON-EXISTANT support, a few companies are GETTING IT, and are going in the OPPOsite direction, a good sign!
post #731 of 3869 Old 05-22-2009, 12:56 PM

For what its worth:
I've been following the EAP thread and this one since inception, also an Oppo BD-83 thread on another forum.
I greatly appreciate the efforts of all that tested and posted their impressions of the Oppo and other players on this forum.
Received my invitation to purchase yesterday and was informed that that my Oppo is being shipped for delivery on the 26th.
Many thanks,
Tony S
post #732 of 3869 Old 05-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

A factor that I haven't seen mentioned so far is the consideration that a player's manufacturer will be around in 6 months or a year to continue releasing firmware updates as it appears that this is an ongoing thing.

Believe me, that's one of the concerns at the top of my list.

With a CD player, you could buy it and pretty much not worry about it from then on unless the LED or transport died.

But with Blu-ray, they don't seem to have it down yet, thus constant firmware updates. Go on a Pioneer thread and you hear about people waiting half a year for a firmware update. That's pretty much killed my interest in the 09FD, despite its awesome analog section.
post #733 of 3869 Old 05-22-2009, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Oppo has been around for about 4 years and they are owned by BBK one of the largest OEM suppliers in China. They have been building their reputation through great support from day one. That is one of the reasons why the 83 is in such demand.

The reason for most of the firmware updates have been caused by problems with the disks not the players. Some film companies are paranoid about copy protection and that causes many issues with most players. Other issues include a firm standard for authoring disks and the way Java is being used.
post #734 of 3869 Old 05-22-2009, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
"The discussion on the main Oppo thread seems to be totally dominated by people doing analog audio, SACD, etc.--everything EXCEPT BD and dvd upconversion, and hidef audio, all simply via HDMI"

I got a laugh out of that one I have to wade through 20 to 1 video vs audio comments on the main thread to read anything of interest to me. Are you sure you're on the right thread I do agree with Smarty that I have nothing to say regarding BD and DVD playback via HDMI: it worked great first time every time for me.

I'll be done testing MCH SACD soon, then the thread is all yours, Ace
post #735 of 3869 Old 05-22-2009, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styln View Post

"The discussion on the main Oppo thread seems to be totally dominated by people doing analog audio, SACD, etc.--everything EXCEPT BD and dvd upconversion, and hidef audio, all simply via HDMI"

I got a laugh out of that one I have to wade through 20 to 1 video vs audio comments on the main thread to read anything of interest to me. Are you sure you're on the right thread I do agree with Smarty that I have nothing to say regarding BD and DVD playback via HDMI: it worked great first time every time for me.

I'll be done testing MCH SACD soon, then the thread is all yours, Ace

Glad I got you to a laugh; and thanks for promoting me to 'Ace'.
post #736 of 3869 Old 05-22-2009, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

Glad I got you to a laugh; and thanks for promoting me to 'Ace'.

Sir Ace, sir
post #737 of 3869 Old 05-22-2009, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post

Here is my comparison on the Oppo BDP-83, Pioneer BDP-320, and Panasonic DMP-BD60. The comparison was done with my parents 65 inch LCD display.

Build Quality
Oppo: Overall very good. Blu-ray tray has average feel to it and I couldn't hear any disc spinning. The power plug is loose when it is connected to the output on the back of the player.
Pioneer: Overall very good. Blu-ray tray has a solid feel to it and I couldn't hear any disc spinning. No issues with the power plug fitting unlike the Oppo.
Panny: Average build. Blu-ray tray has average feel to it and I could hear the disc spinning. No issues with the power plug fitting.
Winner: Pioneer BDP-320 due to its solid blu-ray tray and power plug that is not loose when connecting to the back of the unit. So your basis for build quality is a loose power cord that you never mentioned in your praise of the Oppo on the Oppo owners thread and a the disc tray. Remember the disc tray is not a cup holder. Also, the Oppo's build quality is more in line with the BDP-51FD, but in a smaller platform. Last, the Oppo is slightly larger and weighs over 3 lbs. more.

Sound Quality (2 channel analog output for audio cd playback)
Oppo: Very good sound. Dynamic and had some depth. A little too bright for my taste.
Pioneer: Excellent sound. More dynamic than the oppo and music felt more open. The bass in the music is more pronounced. The music had a warm feel to it.
Panny: Not even close to the Oppo or the Pioneer. Music was way too bright with a harsh feel to it.
Winner: Pioneer BDP-320 I'm not an audio person and listening is very subjective.

Sound Quality (HDMI bitsteaming)
No difference in sound.

Picture Performance (DVD)
Oppo: Excellent. Lots of detail. Very clear. Sharp. Vibrant color. No artifacts.
Pioneer: Very good. Very detail. Clear, but with little bit of grain. Sharp. Vibrant color. I couldn't notice any artifact.
Panny: Good. Decent detail. Not as clear as the Pioneer and Oppo. A little too soft. A little vibrant color. I noticed a few artifacts such as jaggies.

Picture Performance (Blu-ray)
Oppo: Excellent. Vibrant color. Sharp. A little grainy picture. I noticed a few instances of uneven motion. I also noticed some lip sync issues.
Pioneer: Excellent. Very clear. Vibrant color. Sharp. No issues of any kind as I experience with the Oppo. Natural look.
Panny: Excellent. Very close to the Pioneer's pq, but it is a little less sharp. Glossy look to it.
Winner: Pioneer BDP-320 I haven't experienced any grainy pictures in any of my viewings. Could you tell me what blu-ray(s) disc exhibited this and a time stamp if possible?

Fan Noise
Oppo: 99% of the time quiet. One time it became loud.
Pioneer: Quiet fan.
Panny: Noisy fan, but not bothersome.

Bootup and Loading Time
Oppo: 12 seconds bootup. Loading time is fast, but depends on bd movie.
Pioneer: 24 seconds bootup. Loading time is not to slow or not fast, but depends on bd movie.
Panny: Around 20 seconds bootup. Loading time is good, but depends on bd movie.
Winner: Oppo BDP-83 In addition to what you have posted already which is great a few more real world speed tests would have provided some additional benefit. I did a speed test comparison between the Oppo and my Pioneer. I included these additional load times: Load Disc (from tray open to Top Menu) DVD - Used DVD LOTR Fellow Of The Rings part 1 and Load Disc (from tray open to Blu-ray Splash Screen) Blu-ray Wanted.

Conclusion
The Oppo BDP-83, Pioneer BDP-320, and Panasonic DMP-BD60 are excellent blu-ray players that cater to different crowds of people. Here are my recommendations on which blu-ray player is right for an individual.
Panasonic DMP-BD60: For someone who wants a excellent entry level blu-ray player with solid blu-ray picture, a few gimmicky items such as youtube and does not care about analog sound.
Pioneer BDP-320: For someone you wants high quality blu-ray picture and very good dvd playback. Also one who wants excellent analog sound quality. Don't care about any gimmicky items on blu-ray players.
Oppo BDP-83: For someone who wants excellent pq in blu-ray movies and dvds. That wants very good analog sound. That has a sacd and dvd-a collection or planning to start one up.

If you're planning to buy the Oppo BDP-83 just for fast loading times, it is not worth the price difference from either the BD60 or the 320. If you don't care about the extra features on the Oppo but want fast loading times, I'd recommended looking at the JVC blu-ray player or one of the new Samsung blu-ray players. If you want decent loading times go with a Panasonic blu-ray player. If you don't care for loading times and gimmicky items go with the Pioneer.

This week, I sold my Panasonic DMP-BD60 on ebay a couple of days ago, returned the Oppo BDP-83 yesterday, and I still have the Pioneer BDP-320.

Comments in Bold Blue

I agree people should not let speed be their reason for purchasing the Oppo BDP-83. I needed a 2nd player and the Oppo was that player. Its speed was just icing on the cake. However, I don't think prospective buyers are basing their buying decisions solely on speed. At least I hope not. However, if people are entering blu-ray for the 1st time and didn't have feel the pain that you, I and others have experienced with previous blu-ray players then I would give the Oppo plenty of consideration. It is the ONLY blu-ray player that I'm aware of the behaves like a dvd player. Also, I believe the Oppo to be a bargain at $499.00 (excluding shipping/taxes). Think about this. The only player to offer a similar feature set to the Oppo is the soon (I think Fall) to be released Denon DVD-A1UDCI which has an MSRP of $4,500.00. I'm not trying to say the Oppo is of the same quality of the Denon, but you get my point.

I'm not trying to pile on. These are just my observations.

Respectfully,
Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #738 of 3869 Old 05-22-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfyA View Post

What tools/movies/scenes did you use to come to the conclusions that you have come to?

What tools do you have to properly calibrate the video chain/sound stage so as to ensure that you are not simply comparing differences due to settings rather than a transparent calibrated video chain/sound stage?

How did you make side-by-side comparisons? Do you have a high quality switch with pass-through and copies of the same media or did you watch/listen for a while then move all the connectors and media to the next player and then watch/listen for a while?

Did you make any blind testing?

Not trying to be a jerk here. It's only when you have taken the time to publish this it would also have been useful to know something about your testing procedure and what tools you used.

DUDE, it's his parents TV.
post #739 of 3869 Old 05-22-2009, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Now now, that's just speculation on your part.
post #740 of 3869 Old 05-22-2009, 07:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Now now, that's just speculation on your part.

When there is a bit of evidence to support such speculation, it then seems to border on educated guess. Every given buyer has to take everything into account in order to evaluate which OEM is best for them, right next to considering which player's feature set is best for them.
When it comes to this certain OEM them we are not naming , it's hard not to think that recent news regarding their financial status may have future consequences of today's purchase.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #741 of 3869 Old 05-22-2009, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I do find Kage's review quite objective. Although I do not own any of the players that he compared, he did compared those on various points that most users would look for. Build quality, SD-PQ, BD PQ etc. Calling the reviews "which does not fit self view" as biased is not good. I do see the hints of that fanboyism on almost every Oppo forum here.

Flame suit on.

Manoj
post #742 of 3869 Old 05-22-2009, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When there is a bit of evidence to support such speculation, it then seems to border on educated guess.

Yes of course that kind of speculation is not without merit. And good to bring up.

But the same thing can be said of what Kage's comparison's are and kingfat for that matter.

And It is for this reason why I will be doing my own comparison of the Oppo.

ss
post #743 of 3869 Old 05-22-2009, 08:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adude View Post

I do find Kage's review quite objective. Although I do not own any of the players that he compared, he did compared those on various points that most users would look for. Build quality, SD-PQ, BD PQ etc. Calling the reviews "which does not fit self view" as biased is not good. I do see the hints of that fanboyism on almost every Oppo forum here.

Flame suit on.

Yes, he compared some points of the different players that most buyers would be interested in, however he shows no basis or structure for his comparisons.
Based on previous posts of his, scattered throughout the forum, it's clear that he did not even have all three players in his posession at time of review... therefore going off distant memory to judge his comparisons by.
You can keep your flame suit on, because if you were to base your buying decisions on reviews like that, then you are sure to get burned. .

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #744 of 3869 Old 05-22-2009, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, he compared some points of the different players that most buyers would be interested in, however he shows no basis or structure for his comparisons.
Based on previous posts of his, scattered throughout the forum, it's clear that he did not even have all three players in his posession at time of review... therefore going off distant memory to judge his comparisons by.
You can keep your flame suit on, because if you were to base your buying decisions on reviews like that, then you are sure to get burned. .

You bring up a good point.

Out of curiosity what was your buying decisions based on. And when did you first get your BD-83.

ss
post #745 of 3869 Old 05-22-2009, 09:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You bring up a good point.

Out of curiosity what was your buying decisions based on. And when did you first get your BD-83.

ss

As you can see in my signature, I am upfront about being a beta tester for the player. I have been useing it for several months now, and have been useing OPPO's players since the inception of their company.
Other than that, I have no relation to the company.
I love their players, because they are quality products that offer a lot of bang for the buck so to speak, when compared to high end products. Their customer service/support is the absolute best on the planet, so it's hard for me not be be a bit biased when it comes to anything OPPO. Even so, I do BELIEVE in evreything I say about their products. It's easy to play a bit of favoritism, when you know that your favoite is the best pic of the litter.
Seriously though, I know the BDP-83 is not perfect, and is not for everyone, but it sure is sweet.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #746 of 3869 Old 05-22-2009, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I love their players, because they are quality products that offer a lot of bang for the buck so to speak, when compared to high end products.

Out of curiousity, which other BD players have you compared your 83 to?

I have no doubt it's an excellent player but I'm just curious which other brands you've compared it to.

~kyle
post #747 of 3869 Old 05-22-2009, 09:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemitchell View Post

Out of curiousity, which other BD players have you compared your 83 to?

I have no doubt it's an excellent player but I'm just curious which other brands you've compared it to.

For dvd playback, I have compared it to an OPPO DV-980H, OPPO DV-983H, Toshiba HD-XA2, Samsung BD-UP5000, and a Zenith DVB-318.
For Blu-ray, the only other player I currently own for comparison is the Samsung BD-UP5000.
As for HR AUDIO like SACD and DVDA, I have not been into that medium for too long (2-3 years), and I have only ever used OPPO players for playback of that content.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #748 of 3869 Old 05-22-2009, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Smarty,

I haven't read all the posts from Kage, I admit that. But I have seen this in past, the moment someone mentions bad about Oppo, there would be people jumping on that. As I just came to the last two pages of this thread to see what's going on, I felt Kage's review as objective cause he did touched upon various parts that most users will look for.

As for me, I am not in a market for BD player. I did get an email from Oppo after EAP2 or 3 for buying a player and decided to stay away. At the moment, I have a Panny 35 + DVDO edge to do the duty. If the Panny dies, Oppo is very much on top in my list for BD players, but felt the love for Oppo is becoming too much on this forum. :-)

Manoj
post #749 of 3869 Old 05-22-2009, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

For dvd playback, I have compared it to an OPPO DV-980H, OPPO DV-983H, Toshiba HD-XA2, Samsung BD-UP5000, and a Zenith DVB-318.
For Blu-ray, the only other player I currently own for comparison is the Samsung BD-UP5000.
As for HR AUDIO like SACD and DVDA, I have not been into that medium for too long (2-3 years), and I have only ever used OPPO players for playback of that content.

Thanks for the reply Dave.

~kyle
post #750 of 3869 Old 05-22-2009, 09:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adude View Post

Smarty,

I haven't read all the posts from Kage, I admit that. But I have seen this in past, the moment someone mentions bad about Oppo, there would be people jumping on that. As I just came to the last two pages of this thread to see what's going on, I felt Kage's review as objective cause he did touched upon various parts that most users will look for.

As for me, I am not in a market for BD player. I did get an email from Oppo after EAP2 or 3 for buying a player and decided to stay away. At the moment, I have a Panny 35 + DVDO edge to do the duty. If the Panny dies, Oppo is very much on top in my list for BD players, but felt the love for Oppo is becoming too much on this forum. :-)

It's not just what he said about OPPO, but the whole comparison was flawed and without explanation and viable information.

Would you ever base your buying decision of a player on how tightly the power cable fit into the power socket? I hope not.

The Panasonic BR players are very nice IMO. If there were no OPPO to chose from, I would probably have the same setup you have right now. I would have purchsed before the new models came out, and do not need the MCH analog outs, so the 35 model would have done nicely for me... and to get the best scaling/deinterlacing on a budget, the Edge would be the way to go.
I still keep daydreaming about getting an Edge. Though the only thing I would use it for is the occasional viewing of a tv show in the theater. So not worth the investment... yet.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page