post #871 of 3869 Old 05-27-2009, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric turd View Post

When did you order the Oppo? I ordered mine on Friday(22nd) and im trying to figure out how long it will take to get it. I cant wait to compare it to my 51fd.

FYI for all of you trying to figure out general release and or shipments - I ordered mine Saturday (23rd) morning after receiving an invite a few days earlier. As mentioned numerious times, great customer service, responded to my order question very quickly. Now I just have to wait.

We will not be authenticating orders until the units are available for shipping. Expect a status change to occur once the player is being prepared to be shipped to you.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

Note: Received notice that the player shipped late yesterday and is schedule to be delivered Saturday the 30th. That ended up being very quick.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; HTM-200s Heights and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 3869 Old 05-27-2009, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Not a big deal but I didn't like the sound of the Blu-ray drive in the OPPO as it was rather noisy when playing... sounded rather "rough"

Recent firmware has smoothed out the performance of the drive.

Certainty and conviction are a sure sign you don't know what you're talking about! The world is not black and white, rather shades of grey!
post #873 of 3869 Old 05-27-2009, 11:40 AM
Yog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

Yog,

I don't mean any disrespect and we are all entitled to our opinions, but I'm a little fuzzy on your comment. If I'm not mistaken you own the Pioneer 09FD (which is an outstanding piece of technology) and if it didn't fit your aesthetic criteria (But I just didn't like the design, the look of BD-83. It doesn't give a professional touch in terms of its designing, outer structure compare to Pioneer IMO.) you would not have considered it. I know the Oppo may not be up to the build quality of the Pioneer in your eyes and the Pioneer is one sharp looking player, but the Oppo is a well built player. Also, are you coming to this conclusion by looking at pictures or do you have hands on experience with the Oppo? Normally, once I put my equipment in my rack I watch the movie and not the equipment. (lol)

There is a lot of aesthetically unpleasing equipment out there in the thousands of $'s that is in the forefront of its specific class. Do we pass on this equipment and settle for something less performance wise because it looks better and has a professional touch? Unfortunately, build quality and aesthetics does not guarantee performance and longevity.

To each his own.

Respectfully,
Willie

As you said, everyone has their opinion to express. So I exressed what I felt. To me every single aspect counts both internally and externally. I totally respect your comment that you watch the movie not the player. But its just silly me, I consider both internal and external beauties. To me, aesthetics and build quality are as much important as performance, AQ/PQ. But obviously, there is no perfect player out there.

As time goes by there is always an improvements and advancements in technology. BDP-09 came out in around in Jan, I guess?? BDP-83 around May so its a 5-6 months difference and its a lot of a gap when it comes to science and technology.

I currently own BDP-95. Its just ok. And I agree with Ken Ross post 842 above.

Again, no disrespect to Oppo or its owners. I will wait little more before I pull the triger on my 2nd BD-player. I know people are finding Oppo best bd player out there. But I don't pick and choose what runs, I control only then.
post #874 of 3869 Old 05-27-2009, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post

Recent firmware has smoothed out the performance of the drive.

The unit I sold had the current firmware installed (as of last week).

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #875 of 3869 Old 05-27-2009, 12:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

The unit I sold had the current firmware installed (as of last week).

...but it doesn't have the "latest" firmware

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #876 of 3869 Old 05-27-2009, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Perhaps being SPECIFIC will help us all and this thread, and you guys know better!

Received mine yesterday, checked using the units online ability, says it's CURRENT, here are the SPECIFICS (under Oppo firmware screen):

MAIN: BDP83-22-0430
LOADER: BE23F3 857523F3
SUB: MCU83-22-0410
CHIP: 0B.00.01.00
post #877 of 3869 Old 05-27-2009, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Your such a tease.

Display: Pioneer PRO-151 60" Elite
Blu-ray player: OPPO BDP-93, Sony BDP-S1000ES
Processor: Onkyo PR-SC885
Amplifier: Emotiva IPS-1 150Wx7
Game Console: Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4
Speakers: Mythos ST(Fronts), Mythos Ten(Center), Mythos One(Rears)
post #878 of 3869 Old 05-27-2009, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactavish View Post

Perhaps being SPECIFIC will help us all....

Being an initial Beta tester, Smarty has probably been sent the latest iteration of a firmware to test. None of the rest of us will have been notified of this for at least a week or so, so relax, and enjoy the player. I would imagine the most that a new version will do is to solve some of the glitches when playing DVD-A...the rest is pretty stable!
post #879 of 3869 Old 05-27-2009, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

I find it interesting when members used terms such as clear sounding, flat, dull, bright,lacks clarity, and others. I would love to know if any double blind tests have been done using the same material through the same equipment. This goes for both audio and video. I would love to see what really works and what is the placebo effect.

While this is an audio article, it may have some relevance or interest:

http://www.avguide.com/forums/blind-...awed-editorial

post #880 of 3869 Old 05-27-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

AQ is very nice for analog 2ch stereo out using King Cobra interconnect 1m cables. Connected to my WA6SE maxxed tube headphone amp. Headphones are Denon AH D7000. There is no lip sync problem.

I'm deciding between Oppo and Pioneer BPD-23FD (it's like the 320 but with "audiophile capacitors"). I'm very concerned about 2ch analog quality: you say it is "very nice".

I see that the pio has Burr Brown DAC converters (i think they are the PCM1742KE), what are the Oppo DAC converters? Has the Oppo an "audiophile" analog 2ch quality?

Do you think that it would it sound good if attached to a Stax headphone system?

Thanks.
post #881 of 3869 Old 05-27-2009, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsoft View Post

I'm deciding between Oppo and Pioneer BPD-23FD (it's like the 320 but with "audiophile capacitors"). I'm very concerned about 2ch analog quality: you say it is "very nice".

I see that the pio has Burr Brown DAC converters (i think they are the PCM1742KE), what are the Oppo DAC converters? Has the Oppo an "audiophile" analog 2ch quality?

Do you think that it would it sound good if attached to a Stax headphone system?

Thanks.

See this for answers.

http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-8...-audio-section
post #882 of 3869 Old 05-27-2009, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsoft View Post

Thanks.

Yes it sure would. The Oppo out preforms my Pioneer BDP-09 for 2ch stereo analog downmix. Oppo has done a great job with the discreet 2ch analog out. My BDP-09 should out perform the Oppo, but Pioneer firmware for 2ch downmix is at best ok.
The BD-83 blows away the BD-09 for 2ch stereo downmix, because of the soundstaging.

I have a WA6SE maxxed tube headphone amp. I use Denon AH D7000 headphones. These headphones are the closest to a good set of speakers and sub, I have ever heard.

"Don't worry be happy"

post #883 of 3869 Old 05-27-2009, 06:47 PM

SillySally,

You mentioned something about a tweak for the 83 in the Pio 141 owners thread. I couldn't find it.

Also how did you do your lan connection? Hard wire cat5 to your router or did you use some type of wireless connector like the Asus kit the OPPO sells?

TWC Raleigh, NC
Motorola DCX3510-M

post #884 of 3869 Old 05-27-2009, 06:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes it sure would. The Oppo out preforms my Pioneer BDP-09 for 2ch stereo analog downmix. Oppo has done a great job with the discreet 2ch analog out. My BDP-09 should out perform the Oppo, but Pioneer firmware for 2ch downmix is at best ok.
The BD-83 blows away the BD-09 for 2ch stereo downmix, because of the soundstaging.

I have a WA6SE maxxed tube headphone amp. I use Denon AH D7000 headphones. These headphones are the closest to a good set of speakers and sub, I have ever heard.

I must chime in here, and I really don't mean to be rude, but I was thinking from your past comments concerning the BDP-83 and your other Pioneer players, that you were going to have it "in for" the -83 before you even had it in hand. Somehow I got that impression.
However, since you've taken delivery of the BDP-83, you have made a few posts regarding comparisons to the Pioneer players and every word about the OPPO has been positive. I'm just so happy that you are giving an impartial comparison between the players, and I appologize for any negative thoughts toward you Sillysally. Maybe it was just your love for Pioneer that gave me the false impression.
I'm anxious to here your overall take of the BDP-83 compared to your Pioneer players. Surely there will be SOMETHING you don't like about the OPPO?

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #885 of 3869 Old 05-27-2009, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Surely there will be SOMETHING you don't like about the OPPO?

As for me, I think the multichannel analog out connectors are too close together. My overpriced Audioquest cables barely fit in that snake's nest!

Then again, I'm coming from a Denon 3800 that is as tall as some receivers.

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
post #886 of 3869 Old 05-27-2009, 07:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 View Post

As for me, I think the multichannel analog out connectors are too close together. My overpriced Audioquest cables barely fit in that snake's nest!

Then again, I'm coming from a Denon 3800 that is as tall as some receivers.

Hmmm, but that's not really detrimental to the operation or enjoyment of the player, is it? I would call it more of a slight inconvenience, since once you setup the player, for the most part, you never have to mess with it again.
Personally, that is the only connection I have never messed with. So I wouldn't know how difficult or not it is to connect. No need with a 1.3 AVR.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #887 of 3869 Old 05-27-2009, 07:32 PM
Yog

Quote:

Wanna race with my Sennheiser Orpheus or even with HD800?
post #888 of 3869 Old 05-27-2009, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCHeel View Post

SillySally,

You mentioned something about a tweak for the 83 in the Pio 141 owners thread. I couldn't find it.

Also how did you do your lan connection? Hard wire cat5 to your router or did you use some type of wireless connector like the Asus kit the OPPO sells?

First I will post my ISF night settings for the Oppo and are 141s. And at that time I will report my findings.
One thing I can say for now is that imo you want to use source direct and 444cs.

Yes I use a cat5 cable from my Linksys router to the BD-83.

ss

"Don't worry be happy"

post #889 of 3869 Old 05-27-2009, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yog View Post

Wanna race with my Sennheiser Orpheus or even with HD800?

You have a HD-800?
I can (pardon the pun) say the D7000 are one very fine set of cans, for movies.

"Don't worry be happy"

post #890 of 3869 Old 05-27-2009, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe it was just your love for Pioneer that gave me the false impression.
I'm anxious to here your overall take of the BDP-83 compared to your Pioneer players. Surely there will be SOMETHING you don't like about the OPPO?

No I don't have any love for Pioneer. My only problem with Pioneer is that it takes them for ever to follow up with firmware. There is no way I should be playing with the Oppo, because the BD-09 is a wonderfully built BD/SD/CD player. But once more, there is not much follow up with firmware support.

Just to make you happy, I do find the Oppo needs more tweaking/ recalibration than my Pioneer BD-09. panny BD-55 or my Toshiba HD-35.

But on the other hand if things are two easy, then what is the fun in having them.

ss

"Don't worry be happy"

post #891 of 3869 Old 05-27-2009, 08:40 PM

Does anyone know if the OPPO includes soundtrack information as part of the display while a disk is display. I have seen the information screen provided by the Panasonic BD-80, and was hoping the OPPO-83 would provide similar details, e.g. source audio format, bit rate, output audio format, etc.

Thanks!
post #892 of 3869 Old 05-27-2009, 09:18 PM
Yog

Quote:

You have a HD-800?
I can (pardon the pun) say the D7000 are one very fine set of cans, for movies.

I am an audioholic. I compose music. Music moves me more than anything else.

The content I want to watch is simply doesn't exist in blu-ray. Maybe, maybe 2-3 years down the line I will see progress in the music industry. But no I am not a huge fan of movies. Watching movies is my part time hobby And that's one of the reasons, I am not taking any interest in Oppo BDP-83, what the hell am I going to watch on it.

But as of this moment hanging on to hope when there is no hope to speak of.

My Sennheiser HD-800 is sitting with my cousin in Milan. He is on vacation and back at the end of this month. These have not yet released in North America, maybe in June or July. All I can say is these will be the finest pair of headphones in my library.

No, don't wanna hijack this thread. That's it I am shutting up...!
post #893 of 3869 Old 05-28-2009, 04:13 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiListener View Post

Does anyone know if the OPPO includes soundtrack information as part of the display while a disk is display. I have seen the information screen provided by the Panasonic BD-80, and was hoping the OPPO-83 would provide similar details, e.g. source audio format, bit rate, output audio format, etc.

Thanks!

It shows the type of audio and number of channels. There is a combined audo/video bit rate display (we've requested this be split out).

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #894 of 3869 Old 05-28-2009, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yog View Post

I am an audioholic. I compose music. Music moves me more than anything else.

The content I want to watch is simply doesn't exist in blu-ray. Maybe, maybe 2-3 years down the line I will see progress in the music industry. But no I am not a huge fan of movies. Watching movies is my part time hobby And that's one of the reasons, I am not taking any interest in Oppo BDP-83, what the hell am I going to watch on it.

But as of this moment hanging on to hope when there is no hope to speak of.

My Sennheiser HD-800 is sitting with my cousin in Milan. He is on vacation and back at the end of this month. These have not yet released in North America, maybe in June or July. All I can say is these will be the finest pair of headphones in my library.

No, don't wanna hijack this thread. That's it I am shutting up...!

There are quite a number of opera/classical music BD's including Mozart's Don Giovanni in glorious LPCM 5.1. 2L also has a number of BD Audio discs (like Divertimenti) that should satisfy any audioholic. Surround Records also has a number of Naxos transfers to BD Audio. Get on the BD bandwagon already!

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies...05&show=review

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies...25&show=review

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies...97&show=review

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies.php?id=5446

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
post #895 of 3869 Old 05-28-2009, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
post #896 of 3869 Old 05-28-2009, 07:22 AM

Liked: 11
I ordered mine yesterday, I'm still not sure if I made the right decision. This will be my first BluRay player.

I wil be using the multichannel analog outputs as my AVR does not have HDMI and I wanted to make my own patch cables to make the cabling neater, but I find no one seems to be selling good cable anymore.

Anyone know where I can buy bulk cable ?
post #897 of 3869 Old 05-28-2009, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandan123 View Post

I ordered mine yesterday, I'm still not sure if I made the right decision. This will be my first BluRay player.

I wil be using the multichannel analog outputs as my AVR does not have HDMI and I wanted to make my own patch cables to make the cabling neater, but I find no one seems to be selling good cable anymore.

Anyone know where I can buy bulk cable ?

www.monoprice.com
www.ramelectronics.net
http://www.tartancable.com/
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #898 of 3869 Old 05-28-2009, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Quote:

I must chime in here, and I really don't mean to be rude, but I was thinking from your past comments concerning the BDP-83 and your other Pioneer players, that you were going to have it "in for" the -83 before you even had it in hand. Somehow I got that impression.
However, since you've taken delivery of the BDP-83, you have made a few posts regarding comparisons to the Pioneer players and every word about the OPPO has been positive. I'm just so happy that you are giving an impartial comparison between the players, and I appologize for any negative thoughts toward you Sillysally. Maybe it was just your love for Pioneer that gave me the false impression.

Peter,

I had the same impressions as Smarty-pants. I was wrong. Your comments since taking delivery of the Oppo have been very complimentary. In an earlier post I wasn't sure if you would be able to give an unbiased comparison. I personally was not looking for an Oppo endorsement, but an unbiased opinion. Very well done. I post occasionally on the Pioneer 05FD/51FD owners thread and the mere mention of the Oppo practically brings that thread to a screeching halt. I understand with all the hype people are getting tired of hearing about the Oppo; especially on a non Oppo thread. I can't think of one blu-ray owner's thread for current models where there has not been at least a mention of the Oppo. Yes, it can be suffocating. Also, that noise you hear in the background is me eating a crow and a little humble pie. I look forward to hearing your final comments.

Also, what does listening to 2 channel audio through your headphones give you that your speaker setup does not or is this just a preference? I'm not a big audio person so I really don't have an audio opinion.

Respectfully,
Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #899 of 3869 Old 05-28-2009, 08:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes it sure would.

The Oppo out preforms my Pioneer BDP-09 for 2ch stereo analog downmix. Oppo has done a great job with the discreet 2ch analog out. My BDP-09 should out perform the Oppo, but Pioneer firmware for 2ch downmix is at best ok.

I am completely stunned and floored by this.

Looking at the specs, seeing the pictures of the insides of that 09...really, that just shouldn't be, with no offense to the Oppo.

The 09 is basically a receiver and player all-in-one unit and nothing should be able to touch its analog performance from 2 grand on down the ladder.

I honestly can't believe it, but I don't mean that to say I doubt your word.

I'll ask point blank: How can this be?

How can a $500 player, for which Oppo has to make a profit on because they're not a charity , do this?

Quote:

I wasn't in any kind of a rush to test dedicated audio on the Oppo until I read your remarks here.

I'll be testing my Oppo out on a HeadAmp GS-X and a pair of Moon Audio Black Dragon cabled AKG701s today and Sennheiser 800s come Friday when they get delivered.

Are you getting a pair of Senns 800s?

The Oppo will be directly against an Onkyo DVSP1000 for SACD and DVD-A (and maybe CD as well) and a Cambridge 840c for CD. The Cambridge 840c blows away the Onkyo for CD IMO but now it will be interesting to see where the Oppo lands in all of this. I doubt the Cambridge 840c will be unseated for CD playback. It's a truly incredible machine.

Frankly, if I only used the Oppo for BDs and DVDs I'd still feel like I've already gotten more than my money's worth.
Anything past that will be gravy.

The Oppo is easily a huge upgrade over the PS3 that I've been using since launch day 2 and a half years ago, across the boards.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #900 of 3869 Old 05-28-2009, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ View Post

I am completely stunned and floored by this.

Looking at the specs, seeing the pictures of the insides of that 09...really, that just shouldn't be, with no offense to the Oppo.

The 09 is basically a receiver and player all-in-one unit and nothing should be able to touch its analog performance from 2 grand on down the ladder.

I honestly can't believe it, but I don't mean that to say I doubt your word.

I'll ask point blank: How can this be?

How can a $500 player, for which Oppo has to make a profit on because they're not a charity , do this?

All I can say is that I went into the beta test assuming that analog performance for the BDP-83 would be at least on par with the 983H (which is very respectable for a $400 universal player) and maybe a touch better. I did not place any expectations on it past that. What I've ended up hearing, however, is more than that. I can't say from first-hand experience how it might stack up against products in the $2000 range, but I'm not surprised to hear that it is able to at least get quite close to or even match up with some of the products in that price range. It's surprisingly good. That's one reason I remain amazed that they've been able to hit the $500 price point with it. I can't explain it, but I'm not about to argue with it.

gonk
Beta tester:
/
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page