Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 3869 Old 04-08-2009, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson View Post

Both players are good enough for my standards. The Oppo's speed is nice and it will be missed but I will get by just fine without it, at this point there is a 85% chance that I will not buy this Oppo. Oppo did a fine job here and they have an excellent player.It has to be the fastest player out there and PQ wise it is better than most others.

When you say the OPPO is better than most, are you aware of any specific units whose PQ is better than the OPPO's? If so which ones?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3869 Old 04-08-2009, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
How about the new Samsung player that just came? According to C-Net, it is faster than PS3.

My feeling is all players do a tremendous job in showing blu-rays. So at the end of the day, it all boils down to speed and DVD Upconversion. With this token, I would never buy a Pioneer as slow as they are.
post #93 of 3869 Old 04-08-2009, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

I agree with rdgrimes though, a 15% difference is actually pretty substancial. Many people with high end systems are known to spend undreds (thousands?) more for one product for far less performance increases.
Even on my middle_end setup, a 15% difference in PQ is going to be a big difference..

The flaw to this logic is the fact any differences (whatever they may be) is not apparent all of the time. It's silly to say one is better than the other yet alone by some magic percentage unless you know how the player will be used. I haven't played a DVD in my theater in over 2 years so if a player is better upscaling DVDs it doesn't make my 24p Blu-rays look any better. If someone else has a large of collection of DVDs it comes into play. For me that makes the superior upscaler 0% better and I'll let the other guy decide his own percentage not to mention what other features are important.
post #94 of 3869 Old 04-08-2009, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Well, to translate to the 1-10 scale that most folks use. If the Oppo was a 9, that 15% would make the Pioneer a 7.6. That's a difference most people would want and expect to pay a lot more for. But yes, it's all subjective unless you're using test results that are repeatable.

Well that's what I was getting at but with no disrespect intended towards Jim Johnston citing 4.5% seems rather arbitrary. I mean come on, 4% or 5% is one thing but splitting hairs between them seems, as I said earlier, silly.

Geof
post #95 of 3869 Old 04-08-2009, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

To my thinking such numbers are silly. If you go along with 24p is the same with both players and the fact it's a Blu-ray player (at heart) any differences come down to what one wants outside of Blu-ray playback which could certainly be the opposite of someone else.

The 15% difference and other percentages being tossed about are with respect to SD DVD upscaling and de-interlacing. I think everyone is pretty much in agreement that BD performance is essentially equal amongst the majority of players.

Most people want a good SD DVD upscaling BD player, and those of us haunting many of these threads want the best they can get within individual budgets. So far, the Oppo seems to be well regarded for the best bang-for-the-buck under $1000, maybe even more. Adding SACD and DVD-A on top is just a bonus for some, required for others (like me - I probably wouldn't consider the Oppo if it didn't support SACD and DVD-A).

So the total percentage improvement of one model over the other requires weighting for the various capabilities. If you only want a BD player, SD is not a factor, then almost every BD player except perhaps the cheapest (primarily for reliability/stability aspects) will suffice.

If boot-up and load speeds are important, the PS3 and Oppo seem to be the picks. But does that count for 50% of the weighting? Add in SD DVD and other features, and the weighting becomes very personal.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that a statement like "15% better for SD DVD performance" is something I can conceptualize better than "seemed a little better" (too vague) or "worth $150 more to me" (too personal-value-oriented).

On with the show...

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #96 of 3869 Old 04-08-2009, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

Both players are good enough for my standards. The Oppo's speed is nice and it will be missed but I will get by just fine without it, at this point there is a 85% chance that I will not buy this Oppo. Oppo did a fine job here and they have an excellent player.It has to be the fastest player out there and PQ wise it is better than most others.

How are the firmware updates against this Pioneer BDP-51FD player these days for a perspective purchaser of this player versus a Oppo? I see the last post on their Pioneer Electronics web site was dated 2/5/2009 for FW 1.25a which includes a .iso dated 1/27/2009. Its one thing to split hairs against perceived performance, but support does matter.

Oppo Beta Group
post #97 of 3869 Old 04-08-2009, 12:10 PM

How is the analog audio performance of the oppo compares to the Panny 55,
since the panny is the best for now (i think).??

I'm looking for the top analog audio blu-ray.
post #98 of 3869 Old 04-08-2009, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

How are the firmware updates against this Pioneer BDP-51FD player these days for a perspective purchaser of this player versus a Oppo? I see the last post on their Pioneer Electronics web site was dated 2/5/2009 for FW 1.25a which includes a .iso dated 1/27/2009. Its one thing to split hairs against perceived performance, but support does matter.

check out my lengthy comparison on firmware - promised firmware updates (ie DTS HD MA) have been delayed roughly 8 mos).
post #99 of 3869 Old 04-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

My interest is in how players like the Oppo and Pioneer in particular compare for:
- SD-DVD
- BluRay 24p
- BluRay with Interlace sources

The last category does not get much mention in these forums. Can't speak for others, but it is important to me. Here, the player's scaling is not an issue, but it's deinterlacing is.

Thanks
Bruce
post #100 of 3869 Old 04-08-2009, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega View Post

My interest is in how players like the Oppo and Pioneer in particular compare for:
- SD-DVD
- BluRay 24p

The last category does not get much mention in these forums. Can't speak for others, but it is important to me. Here, the player's scaling is not an issue, but it's deinterlacing is.

Thanks
Bruce

For your first and third criteria, the BDP-83 is the hands down winner. With respect to the Pioneer, it is a very capable player. However when the better performance is desired, when you need the most features and a high quality scaling and deinterlacing solution in a stand alone unit, look no farther... you found it in the OPPO.
As for the 24p issue, I can not say for sure, but they will probably basically be the same. Though the BDP-83 does have sharpness and detail controls that could provide a better visual experience with calibration.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #101 of 3869 Old 04-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

For your first and third criteria, the BDP-83 is the hands down winner ...

Thank you. It's interesting to note the different opinions- I've seen at least one other post that gave me the impression the differences are not that huge for these sources.

Bruce
post #102 of 3869 Old 04-08-2009, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

- SD-DVD
- BluRay 24p

Thanks
Bruce

Look back a page on this issue
post #103 of 3869 Old 04-08-2009, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

For your first and third criteria, the BDP-83 is the hands down winner...

Quote:

Thank you. It's interesting to note the different opinions- I've seen at least one other post that gave me the impression the differences are not that huge for these sources.

Bruce

Well, that's what I was alluding to in my diatribe earlier: the differences may be "not that huge", but for some people any discernible difference is worth the effort to get the better player. So for some people, a 1% (to pick a percentage out of the air) difference is negligible, perhaps even noise, but for others, that 1% represents the difference of "almost good enough" to "perfect".

For Smarty-pants, the difference is big enough for the Oppo to be called the "hands down winner". Others have acknowledged the Oppo has the edge, but not enough to sway them away from their current preferred player. Still others have said there is no difference - and to them they might not care/perceive a difference.

The question is: at what point does a performance improvement become big enough for your own preferences to be affected?

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #104 of 3869 Old 04-08-2009, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

The question is: at what point does a performance improvement become big enough for your own preferences to be affected?

shinksma

And at what price difference do you cease to care.

Geof
post #105 of 3869 Old 04-08-2009, 01:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well, that's what I was alluding to in my diatribe earlier: the differences may be "not that huge", but for some people any discernible difference is worth the effort to get the better player. So for some people, a 1% (to pick a percentage out of the air) difference is negligible, perhaps even noise, but for others, that 1% represents the difference of "almost good enough" to "perfect".

For Smarty-pants, the difference is big enough for the Oppo to be called the "hands down winner". Others have acknowledged the Oppo has the edge, but not enough to sway them away from their current preferred player. Still others have said there is no difference - and to them they might not care/perceive a difference.

shinksma

This is basically how it is yes. However, the single biggest feature that stands out and makes a significant difference, effecting the first and third criteria from his list, is the superb deinterlacing from the VRS in the BDP-83.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #106 of 3869 Old 04-08-2009, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I think the PQ also has to do with your tv set. I had a rear projection that just had all kind of problems. now that I have a different set.. its much better. I just have a panasonic 30 and the ps3. I do have an oppo dvd player.
I think I will stick with a panasonic in the future.
Jacob
post #107 of 3869 Old 04-08-2009, 02:54 PM

Liked: 11
I have been reading the various comments on this thread and they have been very helpful in evaluating the Oppo vs... . Presently I have a Toshiba XDE. I know, I know...there are not many ringing endorsements of this unit from critical reviewers. However, on my set (52'' Sammy LCD) sitting about 8' away, a standard def picture looks pretty darn good. Of course, I must admit this is highly dependant on how well the movie was mastered. Nonetheless I am wondering if I would appreciate the starndard def PQ of the Oppo with (apparently) a non-critical eye?
post #108 of 3869 Old 04-08-2009, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nobody else has bit on this yet, so I will.

How do you come up with these numbers? 4.5%, 15%, ???

But essentially what you are saying is that if the Oppo had "Pioneer" on the front you would buy it. Does that about sum things up? In video terms, a 15% improvement in quality is pretty large and most anyone in the know would go for that. Maybe if you spend more time with the Oppo your number will increase some more?

How I came up with those numbers? , They are just guestimates.

If the Oppo had a Pioneer on the front id buy it ?? Umm, no. How did you come up with that idea? Your off by a mile.

If the Oppo had a name like "JAMES JOHNSON, BUY ME NOW OR YOUR GOING TO HELL." Then I would for sure buy one.

That is all I am going to say, I do not want to discuss anything else with you.
post #109 of 3869 Old 04-08-2009, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Hello,
Considering just how important DVD performance is to so many, how about a DV-983 and a BDP-51FD? For close to the same price, you would gain multiregion capability which to many is huge. Only real downside is BD load times.

However, times vary wildly between discs with some actually loading in less time than a cigarette. All kidding, some discs really come on quickly and hopefully quicker still with Pioneer's forthcoming much debated, clamored for, promised, contested, resigned never to be released, DTS-MA update coming out.
Cheers,
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #110 of 3869 Old 04-08-2009, 06:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

So the -51 doesn't even decode MA?... and it doesn't play Dvd-Audio?... how about SACD? I'm asking here, because I really don't know. Will it do source direct like the OPPO?
I already know the scaling and deinterlacing is better in the BDP-83. I'm sure the -51 doesn't have a seperate discrete stereo analog output section like the OPPO does... does it?
I need to look up the full specs of the -51.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #111 of 3869 Old 04-08-2009, 06:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork View Post

Hello,
Considering just how important DVD performance is to so many, how about a DV-983 and a BDP-51FD? For close to the same price, you would gain multiregion capability which to many is huge. Only real downside is BD load times.

Your suggestion is a variant of one I am considering: rather than getting an Oppo 83 to replace my Sammy 1200, perhaps I get a Panny BD60 for BD and use the 1200 (with its Reon chip) for dvd.
post #112 of 3869 Old 04-08-2009, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello,
Nice combo. I ended up grabbing a DV-980H to supplement my BDP-51 and BDP-05 and PS3. While my Denon DVD-3910 was multiregion, I wanted DSD over HDMI. My PS3 60gb played SACD quite nicely too, but converted to PCM.

I realize that there is not a huge difference between DSD/DSD>PCM. I just figured the less conversion the better. While the DV-980 is not as accomplished a DVD player as the 983, it's still not shabby.
Cheers,
AD

post #113 of 3869 Old 04-08-2009, 08:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

No, the 980 is not shabby at all. I will be using it in my office as an audio player once I finally get everything hooked up. I have used it in the past for a main dvd player in our family room and it did a great job on our 37" lcd.
It was used to death for about a year straight, and it just keeps on goin. Love the 980!

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #114 of 3869 Old 04-08-2009, 08:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

So the -51 doesn't even decode MA?... and it doesn't play Dvd-Audio?... how about SACD? I'm asking here, because I really don't know. Will it do source direct like the OPPO?
I already know the scaling and deinterlacing is better in the BDP-83. I'm sure the -51 doesn't have a seperate discrete stereo analog output section like the OPPO does... does it?
I need to look up the full specs of the -51.

You boys shouldn't get nasty. Behave.

Chad Billheimer rocks as a ISF Calibrator for Ohio.
Roller Coaster season is upon us. Proud member of American Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE) Woodies Rule!
post #115 of 3869 Old 04-08-2009, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post

And at what price difference do you cease to care.

That is if the player is ever released to the public.
post #116 of 3869 Old 04-08-2009, 08:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:

No, the 980 is not shabby at all. I will be using it in my office as an audio player once I finally get everything hooked up. I have used it in the past for a main dvd player in our family room and it did a great job on our 37" lcd.
It was used to death for about a year straight, and it just keeps on goin. Love the 980!

I got the 983 because of issues the 980 has with de-interlacing difficult material, and never saw de-interlacing issues again. I still have the 980 though, and don't have the 983. For well-mastered and authored DVD, it works great. It's a very capable machine, and an excellent example of how good Oppo is at getting the absolute best performance out of any hardware.

Quote:

How I came up with those numbers? , They are just guestimates.

Really? I'm amazed.

Quote:

That is all I am going to say, I do not want to discuss anything else with you.

Well now, shucks.
post #117 of 3869 Old 04-08-2009, 08:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I got the 983 because of issues the 980 has with de-interlacing difficult material, and never saw de-interlacing issues again. I still have the 980 though, and don't have the 983. For well-mastered and authored DVD, it works great. It's a very capable machine, and an excellent example of how good Oppo is at getting the absolute best performance out of any hardware.

Yes, not the best at deinterlacing, but very capable compared to basic dvd players. Then there's the other features with audio... sacd, dvda, oh and the 480i output that many people loved.
I did say I used it in the family room... where the FAMILY watches tv.
If I were to tell my wife that I just saw some deinterlacing errors, she would look down to see if her shoe was untied.
Although now we have a player with Reon in there, so it's all good.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #118 of 3869 Old 04-09-2009, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Hello,
I purchased my DV-980 solely for DSD/DVD-A, and multiregion. I am amazed at how good R2 discs look on it. Much better than my Denon DVD-3910 which too could be multiregion by entering a remote code. For 169 dollars, I cannot imagine a better value.
Cheers,
AD

post #119 of 3869 Old 04-09-2009, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork View Post

Hello,
I am totally lost on the BDP-51 not being a good DVD player discussion. To score an 86 on the Secrets DVD Benchmark is truly a stellar result. I realize the Hypeoo (DV-983) scored higher. But, it is not by a huge amount 86 versus 100. Again, there are 8000 dollar purpose built players that scored worse than the 51 with SD. Funny, the 15% discussion jives almost perfectly with the benchmark results. Assuming the 83 has identical DVD performance.
Cheers,
AD

Audiodork,

An 86 versus 100 is a big difference and that difference is exponential the larger the screen gets. If price is not an issue then I would rather have the player that scored the 100. Having said that; the Pioneer is more than capable blu-ray and dvd transport.

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #120 of 3869 Old 04-09-2009, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

The 15% difference and other percentages being tossed about are with respect to SD DVD upscaling and de-interlacing. I think everyone is pretty much in agreement that BD performance is essentially equal amongst the majority of players.

Most people want a good SD DVD upscaling BD player, and those of us haunting many of these threads want the best they can get within individual budgets. So far, the Oppo seems to be well regarded for the best bang-for-the-buck under $1000, maybe even more. Adding SACD and DVD-A on top is just a bonus for some, required for others (like me - I probably wouldn't consider the Oppo if it didn't support SACD and DVD-A).

So the total percentage improvement of one model over the other requires weighting for the various capabilities. If you only want a BD player, SD is not a factor, then almost every BD player except perhaps the cheapest (primarily for reliability/stability aspects) will suffice.

If boot-up and load speeds are important, the PS3 and Oppo seem to be the picks. But does that count for 50% of the weighting? Add in SD DVD and other features, and the weighting becomes very personal.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that a statement like "15% better for SD DVD performance" is something I can conceptualize better than "seemed a little better" (too vague) or "worth $150 more to me" (too personal-value-oriented).

On with the show...

shinksma

You beat me to it. I was in the middle of composing a similar reply. While we can try to put a percentage on the difference; there is still a difference and that difference is in favor of the Oppo. The next question is how much that difference is worth to you. Based on the quality of the blu-ray and dvd playback and the additional medias (SACD, DVD-A, just to name a few) supported by the Oppo the present price is a bargain.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version