Old 07-07-2009, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Can we assume, by this, that you are referring to multichannel analog output? AFAIK, there's no such thing as a "component audio" interconnection.

Yes. I guess I'm a dinosaur when the two (component video (for high def) and component audio (for high def...vs. stereo) were common nomenclature...before hdmi.

You, sir, are correct (mc analog).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2009, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajburgh View Post

That depends on what Sony players you're talking about. The Oppo is comparable to the PS3 in operational speed (load, play, etc).

Drawing from memory, I didn't find the 350 and 550 to be much slower in loading than the PS3.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
Old 07-07-2009, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post

Drawing from memory, I didn't find the 350 and 550 to be much slower in loading than the PS3.

Interesting... as mentioned previously, I moved my PS3 upstairs and replaced it with a 550. The 550 seems slower to me... at times a lot slower on certain disks.

I think it was Weeds Season 4 BD disc 1, the wife asked "did it lock up?". We never had that with the PS3 (admittedly haven't watched that disc on the PS3), but maybe I just got a slower 550?
Old 07-07-2009, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Interesting... as mentioned previously, I moved my PS3 upstairs and replaced it with a 550. The 550 seems slower to me... at times a lot slower on certain disks.

I think it was Weeds Season 4 BD disc 1, the wife asked "did it lock up?". We never had that with the PS3 (admittedly haven't watched that disc on the PS3), but maybe I just got a slower 550?

I could be wrong, as all things related to my memory are 52 years old. However, I always felt the 350 and 550 did well with load times. No difference that I recall that made me regret giving the Playstation to my son.

I'm not a gamer anyway; don't have the attention span. Poker is my game.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
Old 07-07-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post

Ah, I don't have personal experience with the 350 and 550, just with the PS3, the Panny BD60 and the Oppo. I had always understood the 350 and 550 to be about the same speed as the Panny BD60/80.

Since the original poster mentioned that they found the 550 significantly slower than the PS3 I just wanted to make sure the "Oppo about the same as Sony players" was not misunderstood as the Oppo being slow.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Any comparisons of the Oppo to the Sony S550( for (DVD Upconverting)?
Old 07-07-2009, 04:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post

Agreed, but you're one that just contributed about the cost of the player to the multi-channel audio disc dealers! For those of us that have been collecting SACDs and DVD-A discs since our original Oppos, have a large library of DVDs that can take advantage of the upconversion quality, this is the player to have and is of tremendous value. For those just interested in a BD transport, that Panasonic may have a similar value.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Old 07-07-2009, 05:01 PM

Liked: 11
Something I noticed right away about the Oppo was how much faster it was than the Panny BD30/35 in ejecting the tray after powering on. The Panasonics would sit and think about it for a good 15-20 seconds, while the Oppo is practically immediate.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

Also, I inferred from your postings on the Oppo owners thread that you were nearing the deadline to return the player and since the latest beta firmware did not address the issues you were experiencing you did not want to take a chance that the problems would not be remedied in a timely manner. Giving those circumstances I see why you chose to return the player rather than see if the next firmware release would have addressed your issues. Again, this is just my inference base on your postings and I may be totally of base. If I am, then accept my apology.

Dead on. No apology necessary. I will also add that I wasn't really looking for a bluray player. I was looking for a DVD/CD/SACD/DVD-A player. The bluray feature was just a nice perk to me.

Quote:
Last, since you returned the player; there has been another beta firmware update (06/26/09) which eliminated or improved on most of the issues you were experiencing.

Could you be precise here? Which issues are eliminated and which are improved? I'm confused because the release notes for the 6/26 beta release do not list any of these issues as fixed.

Quote:
Also, the problems you were experiencing were not universal, but isolated. I say that because I and others were unable to replicate any of the problems you experienced.

How do you know that its not the other way around? That you and Vlad and others who have trouble free players are actually the "isolated" cases and me and Stylin and others who have faulty hardware are the majority?

Its not by concern anymore, but if its true that these are not universal issues, then I wouldn't be sitting around waiting for a general firmware update to fix an isolated hardware problem. I'd be sending my faulty BDP-83 back and demanding a good one like you and Vlad received.

Quote:
Do you think everyone who has posted has not been honest" and that their personal evaluation that the BDP-83 is a very good CD/SACD/DVD-A player" and "definitely ready for prime time" is disingenuous?

No. I worded that too harshly and meant no offense to folks who are happy with their BDP-83. I was trying to explain why I continue to bring these issues up. Because it would be disingenuous for me to let those highly favorable comments go without mentioning these issues.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndn View Post

Component audio is a necessity for me, as it is for many others.

I thought so too, until I heard the bluray "core" audio over coax. It was so good, I thought I was listening to the uncompressed audio and marveling at the sound. Then I turned around and saw the pre-pro was set to coax input instead of the multi-channel analog inputs. Oops.

But now I know I don't need to pay extra for the multi-channel analog outputs.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightninBoy View Post

I thought so too, until I heard the bluray "core" audio over coax. It was so good, I thought I was listening to the uncompressed audio and marveling at the sound. Then I turned around and saw the pre-pro was set to coax input instead of the multi-channel analog inputs. Oops.

Which BD Player do you like?
Old 07-07-2009, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightninBoy View Post

What you were listening to was full spec lossy which is something that was almost never used on DVD. The different between full spec lossy and lossless is very very minor.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
I was messing around with the Pioneer BDP-51FD and OPPO BDP-83 (friend is going to take one or the other) and decided to take a few shots. They might not be the exact frame but it's pretty close. I think the OPPO turns most of the processing off during pause which is fine as I found anything outside of defaults guilty of butchering the image. The Pioneer was configured how I prefer it since that's how it would be used. The images are from my 110 inch screen. If you use the OPPO you can easily tell which is which plus the filenames give it away.

I believe I can spot a little difference between the two although it might be since I know how the two are configured and it's influencing me. I will say just by looking at the screen I could never say one was obviously better than other.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Without looking I'm going to guess the first pic of Statham is the 51FD with the detail setting kicked up a notch or 2.

Goes to show how little difference there is between BD players.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Smarty can offer more info here, but I don't think the "processing" comes into play for BluRay discs within the Oppo, so pausing shouldn't degrade the image. For upconversion of DVDs, yes, it would be better to try to film the playing video.

With your pics, I would say both are equal, but that's a general consensus about BD player to BD player! Nice pics though...super detailed.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinklefree View Post

Without looking I'm going to guess the first pic of Statham is the 51FD with the detail setting kicked up a notch or 2.

Here's the same shot with Detail at +1...

Old 07-08-2009, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Here's the same shot.........

seems we've seen this same image sequence quite a few times now. which title is this from?
Old 07-08-2009, 01:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Here's the same shot with Detail at +1...

That looks more like the BDP-83 now, but I like the first pic better. There's more detail arounf the temple/hairline area of his head in the first one.
Gotta be careful with the enhancements though, they might make the pic look better at times, but at other times make it worse... at least with the BDP-83.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
Old 07-08-2009, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

seems we've seen this same image sequence quite a few times now. which title is this from?

It's Crank... my official compare player's disc. There are three scenes I have gotten to know over the years and if the disc wears out I couldn't care less.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post

Smarty can offer more info here, but I don't think the "processing" comes into play for BluRay discs within the Oppo, so pausing shouldn't degrade the image. For upconversion of DVDs, yes, it would be better to try to film the playing video.

With your pics, I would say both are equal, but that's a general consensus about BD player to BD player! Nice pics though...super detailed.

As long as it's 1080p/24fps, then there should be no problem with pause state.
I had been confused before about whether the detail and edge enhancements were effected when pause was on, but it appears that with further testing after that, that those settings are still functionable.

Now if the res for BR is 1080/60, as opposed to 1080/24, I don't know if the ABT chip has anything to do with that conversion or not... so user beware.

Also, if the res is anything less that 1080p with BR, then the ABT chip IS effecting the pic, and a pause state will not be an accurate pic.

For dvd, source direct and/or 480i will bypass the ABT chip, but anything else will not be accurate in pause state.

Be careful too with BR, as there are some discs that are native 1080i. Mostly concert discs, but a few movies are too, like the Canadian version of Se7en.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
Old 07-08-2009, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

As long as it's 1080p/24fps, then there should be no problem with pause state....

Thanks Smarty, I thought I remembered something like that from an earlier post.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post

Which BD Player do you like?

Based on my experience with the BDP-83, I concluded that the best approach for me (and potentially others like me who put music first) is to go with one of the last generation of universal players (DVD/DVD-A/SACD). Then supplement that with a blu-ray.

For the universal player I settled on the NAD M55 (refurbs are going for $799). I like it a lot. I haven't decided yet on the supplemental blu-ray. A more mature BDP-83 is a strong contender, but I'll probably go with something under $300 as I no longer need the blu-ray player to have multi-channel analog outs or SACD/DVD-A playback. I'm leaning towards the JVC player, but I'm in no hurry for a blu-ray.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Pioneer was configured how I prefer it since that's how it would be used. The images are from my 110 inch screen.

Charles what are your PQ/Colorspace settings on the 51FD?
Old 07-08-2009, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTalon View Post

The Oppo is nice.. and does play more formats than the BD60.. but $199 vs $499.. I don't think it's advantages outweigh the price difference.

Quote:

Of course that is your opinion. The BD60 may possibly be a good vanilla BR player, but it can't touch the laudry list of features the BDP-83 has to offer. For those that use all of the features the BDP-83, it is a bargain at $499.

Dave,

I agree with you 100%. If you're just looking for a plain vanilla blu-ray player and you have price considerations and don't require the feature set of the Oppo, then the Oppo is not the player for you. However, for those that desire the package that the Oppo offers; this player is a bargain at $499.00. Also, the Oppo's advantages more than outweigh the price difference between it and the Panasonic BD60. Last, if the $200.00 price range is what you're looking for then I would give heavy consideration to the JVC XV-BP1. You can see my comments as well as others on the JVC XV-BP1 thread.

Just my $.02.

Respectfully,
Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

Old 07-08-2009, 05:54 PM

Charles

Can you tell me the PQ setings you use for the Oppo? Is detail and edge ehancement on?
Old 07-08-2009, 06:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinklefree View Post

Charles what are your PQ/Colorspace settings on the 51FD?

Custom set to all defaults except for Detail ranging from 0 to +2. I use color space 4:4:4. Switching back and forth (numerous times) it just feels like it adds a little depth.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambo2000 View Post

Charles

Can you tell me the PQ setings you use for the Oppo? Is detail and edge ehancement on?

1080p24 (4:4:4) with all settings at default. Using a test pattern the OPPO instantly added ringing using either setting (even at +1). Comparing the two the Pioneer's Detail setting even at maximum didn't create as much ringing as the OPPO's +1 (detail or edge). My guess is the Pioneer boosts the ANSI contrast where OPPO does your more traditional edge enhancement.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Dave,

I agree with you 100%. If you're just looking for a plain vanilla blu-ray player and you have price considerations and don't require the feature set of the Oppo, then the Oppo is not the player for you. However, for those that desire the package that the Oppo offers; this player is a bargain at $499.00. Also, the Oppo's advantages more than outweigh the price difference between it and the Panasonic BD60. Last, if the $200.00 price range is what you're looking for then I would give heavy consideration to the JVC XV-BP1. You can see my comments as well as others on the JVC XV-BP1 thread.

Just my $.02.

Respectfully,
Willie

How would you sum up the dif between the Pio-51 and the JVC?
I was just thinking about this earlier today, and then I just happened upon your post and see you have/had/own both.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
Old 07-09-2009, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Dave,

Just my $.02.

Respectfully,
Willie

Quote:

How would you sum up the dif between the Pio-51 and the JVC?
I was just thinking about this earlier today, and then I just happened upon your post and see you have/had/own both.

Dave,

I haven't done a critical comparison between the Pioneer 51FD and the JVC XV-BP1. I initially considered the Panny BD60, but the speed claims made by JVC caught my attention. The viewing audience for this player is my wife and kids on a 32 inch Samsung in my family room. Initially, the Pioneer had moved to my family room when I received the Oppo, but my family didn't have any patience when it came to the load times of the Pioneer. I haven't done any critical viewing since most of my viewing will be with the Oppo or Pioneer. However, from the little bit of viewing I have done; I thought blu-ray and dvd playback were more than acceptable on the JVC. Dvd playback from the JVC is very good, but the picture had a slight softness to it and wasn't as sharp as the Pioneer. Since, this player resides in my family room this will go unnoticed; since my wife and kids will be viewing from 8 to 2 feet on a 32 inch Samsung. The slight softness and sharpness issue mentioned above was only discernable when viewed on my 42 inch Pioneer plasma from 6 ½ feet and will probably be more visible the larger the screen gets. This JVC is a plain vanilla (what you see is what you get with minimal control) blu-ray player with Oppo like speed, but is a very good choice in the right circumstances (wife and kids). Also, I would recommend this player to folks who are making their 1st blu-ray player purchase, because this player and the Oppo are the only players I've used that perform most like a traditional dvd player as far as functionality. However, if you can live with the Pioneer speed deficiency and want total control of the viewing experience then I would purchase the Pioneer. Given the Pioneer's present price, which is nearing $200.00; it's the best value available for under $250.00 in my opinion.

I know for most there would be no discernable or appreciable difference from a 32 inch monitor from a viewing distance of 8 to 12 feet away. So, there is no reason for anyone to chime in about the monitor being only 32 inches. lol

Respectfully,
Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

Old 07-09-2009, 08:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks for that Willie

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...