Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 3869 Old 04-11-2009, 09:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Willie,
All of your posts that I remember reading, make so much sense. I feel the exact same way, only I don't always pussyfoot around about it, I just come out and say it. Not to say that is what you do, but just saying that is what I do.
As you have already said, if we were to actually campare what the BDP-83 has to offer at it's price point, there is no comparison to any other player... period.
Thus by that rationale, this thread should never have even started. Not to say that I don't believe it has it's place here. I'm glad this thread does exist, as it's an opportunity for potential buyers/users to find out what the player is all about, and they can find what they are looking for.
Again, to put it bluntly, if all anyone is looking for is Blu-ray and dvd playbcak only, then maybe a different player may be a better value to them.
However, even when only referring to those two functions, the BDP-83 is still the best, because no other BR player offers the superior scaling and deinterlacing that the OPPO does.
Do some of the other players offer a good value for those two features?... sure they do... especially if you can buy them for half the price of the BDP-83.
Howeve if you can take advantage of the full feature set that the OPPO offers, there is no better value in a universal Blu-ray player.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3869 Old 04-11-2009, 09:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Do some of the other players offer a good value for those two features?... sure they do... especially if you can buy them for half the price of the BDP-83.

I'm certainly one of the persons who is primarily interested in BD and dvd upconversion performance (along with hidef audio); speed and reliability are of course also of interest. And I have been thinking about the Panny BD60 (since I will be connecting only via HDMI) as a possible alternative to the Oppo 83.

However, saving a couple of hundred bucks on a very imp part of the AV quality chain--after spending > $5K on a top flight projector (the RS20)--seems like false economy. On a large screen (126" diag in my case), the best quality dvd is definitely noticeable. My present Sammy 1200 does dvd quite well (with upconversion via the HQV Reon chiip), but it will be nice to have this done even better, not to speak of an improvement in quality and reliability for BD and the capability of the new hidef audio formats. Thus I think I'm ready to commit to the 83 even though I'm quite uninterested in its other capabilities (SACD, etc.).
post #183 of 3869 Old 04-11-2009, 10:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

I'm certainly one of the persons who is primarily interested in BD and dvd upconversion performance (along with hidef audio); speed and reliability are of course also of interest. And I have been thinking about the Panny BD60 (since I will be connecting only via HDMI) as a possible alternative to the Oppo 83.

However, saving a couple of hundred bucks on a very imp part of the AV quality chain--after spending > $5K on a top flight projector (the RS20)--seems like false economy. On a large screen (126" diag in my case), the best quality dvd is definitely noticeable. My present Sammy 1200 does dvd quite well (with upconversion via the HQV Reon chiip), but it will be nice to have this done even better, not to speak of an improvement in quality and reliability for BD and the capability of the new hidef audio formats. Thus I think I'm ready to commit to the 83 even though I'm quite uninterested in its other capabilities (SACD, etc.).

The -83 sounds like an excellent choice for your setup.
As I stated earlier, even for just BR and SD playback, the -83 is still a superior product.
I have seen everything the Reon can do, as I currently own several players with it, including the Samsung BD-UP5000 and the Toshiba HD-XA2. The upconversion can look very good from that chip, however is can also make things look more fake/un-natural, with skin tones looking "plasticy", and outdoor scenes oversatured. The deinterlacing of that chip is probably it's biggest fault. It has problems with video based material, as well as handling less common type cadences, and transfers with bad edits and such. To be honest, I love what it does on a smaller screen in another room. I play Pixar and Disney movies on the 5000 for my kida all the time, and it looks amazing on the 37" lcd.
However, like you say, on the big screen those small differences can be much more noticable, and in my theater on the projection system, the scaling and deinterlacing from the Anchor Bay VRS chip is much better. Skin tones and outdoor scenes look much more natural, and deinterlacing is steller.
Going from the 1200 model, to something like the -83, will be a huge difference too. Just in the way that the players GUI is incorperated and consumer friendly, there are a ton of settings to help tweak the player to the perfect fit for any setup, and the -83 is lightning fast compared to something like the 1200.
As for the BD60, I have no clue to what that player offers, as I have not followed it.
Good luck

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #184 of 3869 Old 04-11-2009, 10:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 412
I've used a ton of various DVD players over time (including a number of HD & BD players). The best SD DVD performance I've seen is hands down from the BDP-83. Having previously owned the XA2 and Denon 2930CI, I agree about the Reon creating a bit of a plastic and unnatural look. The BDP-83 gives a more natural look for sure.

post #185 of 3869 Old 04-12-2009, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had a number of DVD players, each of which I thought was great in it's own way, and bettered the one it replaced. I went from a Bravo D2 to a Sony 9000ES to a Denon 3910 to a XA2. When I put a DVDO EDGE in the chain, it bested all of them. I am not aware of any SD upconversion in any player, regardless of price, that will equal the 83, which has the same video proceesor as the EDGE. Despite a Powerbuy, the 83 will cost less than the EDGE cost me. Even if you have no plans to ever listen to DVD-A or SACD (your loss), this is a bargain.

I stll have the 3910. I am interested in the opinions of Beta testers/EAP'ers who also have Denon universal players on how the analog audio quality of the 83 matches up.

Taxes are the price we pay to live in civilization. If you don't like government, move to Somalia.
post #186 of 3869 Old 04-12-2009, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I have a Denon 3930ci DVD player. The MSRP of this player is 3 times that of the Oppo BDP-83.

In terms of SD DVD upscaling it is a wash. Both players do a great job, Realta vs. ABT seems to be a dead heat. Yes there are differences but they are minor and which you like better is subjective in my opinion. The Oppo is a great video source for the money.

In terms of multichannel analog playback I think the Denon is better by a fair bit. Some well mastered SACDs sound better to me on the Denon.

I haven't done a lot of comparing of stereo analog because I generally use a dedicated 2-channel DAC for that, but I think it is closer, maybe with a slight edge to the Denon.

Now does that mean I'd recommend buying the Denon? Not at all. Like a previous poster I've had transport problems with this unit. Denon has seriously pissed me off by putting out a high-end unit with such a basic problem. The fact that Denon hasn't addressed this is a total scandal.

The other part of this is that I think that for many uses analog audio out is a dead end. Room correction is a major advance in music reproduction. Mostly I see it as a stop gap for people with non-HDMI equipment waiting for a processor that meets their needs to become available.

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  J. R. Pierce
post #187 of 3869 Old 04-12-2009, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I take it you don't have a Denon receiver to use the Denon link?
post #188 of 3869 Old 04-12-2009, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

-Internal decoding of DTS HD/MA
-USB interface for capability of playing movies and music from mass storage and flash drives
-Superior scaling and deinterlacing
-SACD playback
-DVDA playback
-Extended support for various applications of user created media
-BD Live capable w/ethernet port (wireless compatable with adapter)
-Automatic fw upgrade notification via ethernet connection
-HDMI CEC
-Source Direct mode
-Superior customer support/relations/warranty services
-All audio and video outputs active at all times
-External IR support
-Full featured backlit OEM remote included with player
-Blu-ray video calibration disc included with player
-Multiple section of Deep Color output
-Native PAL capable/compatable with superior PAL->NTSC conversion, and NTSC->PAL conversion
-Multiple screen saver options
-High quality HDMI cable inclded with player
-Ships inside (fashionable) anti static packaging

(I'm tired now, someone else can finish the list if there's anything else to add... )

You forgot to mention: loose electronics bouncing around in case for some lucky EAPers

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...e#post16143576
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...e#post16143503
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...e#post16123821

But yeah, the Oppo does have superior scaling/deinterlacing like Reon-based players as well as the Pioneer 51FD. Maybe a twinge better, but nothing to rant and rave about. Some nice extras for sure, but again its not going to be worth an extra $250 for everyone. It really depends on your priorities. Personally, I'd rather buy 20 more Blu-ray movies than buy a player whose primary benefit over the one I have is that it loads discs faster; not to mention it looks like I'd be giving up a bit of CD analog output quality in the process. If I had to spend $500 on a player today, I'd probably buy the Oppo. But, most likely if I were buying in today's economy I'd buy the cheaper 51FD for similar A/V quality at half the cost. Then when full color 3-D compatible Blu-ray players come out in 2010-2011, I'd spend more money since it would be a more permanent piece of gear.

It is very clear this is the ideal player for you. But people have different priorities, and for some it is simply not worth the extra dough over the 51FD.

Vote with your wallet. Don't buy Cinavia-infected Blu-ray Discs! Why pay a premium for pseudo-lossless audio damaged by an intrusive watermark in the audible spectrum?
post #189 of 3869 Old 04-12-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

You forgot to mention: loose electronics bouncing around in case for some lucky EAPers

It really depends on your priorities. Personally, I'd rather buy 20 more Blu-ray movies than buy a player whose primary benefit over the one I have is that it loads discs faster; not to mention it looks like I'd be giving up a bit of CD analog output quality in the process.

It is very clear this is the ideal player for you. But people have different priorities, and for some it is simply not worth the extra dough over the 51FD.

Do you think the Wolfson DACs in the 51 provide better CD analog output than what is in the 83?
post #190 of 3869 Old 04-12-2009, 01:55 PM

Thanks for the response ehlarson. I was hoping the 83 could replace my 3910, which has already had to go to the shop once. I only have I set of multichannel inputs & the idea of getting a switch and 10 more interconnects isn't too appetizing. I don't use the 3910 for CD as I continue to be amazed at how much better they sound ripped to the computer.

I was strongly considering the Pio 51 for a different 2 channel system due to the buzz about the analog audio quality. I am put off by a couple things. Kris Deering's review contained many caveats, and I don't think the firmware revisions have taken care of all his concerns. Then there are the legions of steamed owners on the 51 forum who have been told again that there will be a delay in the firmware update that will finally give them DTS HD MA decoding and zippier response that the unreleased OPPO already has.

Taxes are the price we pay to live in civilization. If you don't like government, move to Somalia.
post #191 of 3869 Old 04-12-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor Samsa View Post

Thanks for the response ehlarson. I was hoping the 83 could replace my 3910, which has already had to go to the shop once. I only have I set of multichannel inputs & the idea of getting a switch and 10 more interconnects isn't too appetizing. I don't use the 3910 for CD as I continue to be amazed at how much better they sound ripped to the computer.

I was strongly considering the Pio 51 for a different 2 channel system due to the buzz about the analog audio quality. I am put off by a couple things. Kris Deering's review contained many caveats, and I don't think the firmware revisions have taken care of all his concerns. Then there are the legions of steamed owners on the 51 forum who have been told again that there will be a delay in the firmware update that will finally give them DTS HD MA decoding and zippier response that the unreleased OPPO already has.

I was considering getting the 51FD too. I went with the BDP-83 because I knew the
OPPO would receive constant firmware updates due to the way they are handling its
rollout and because I was given the opportunity through the EAP. I also wanted the
good DVD upscaling that the BDP083 has. But the 51FD sounds like a great
price/performance combination if you are willing to accept the delays or uncertainty
of future firmware delivery.

SCD
post #192 of 3869 Old 04-12-2009, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...e#post16143576
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...e#post16143503
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...e#post16123821

But yeah, the Oppo does have superior scaling/deinterlacing like Reon-based players as well as the Pioneer 51FD. Maybe a twinge better, but nothing to rant and rave about. Some nice extras for sure, but again its not going to be worth an extra $250 for everyone. It really depends on your priorities. Personally, I'd rather buy 20 more Blu-ray movies than buy a player whose primary benefit over the one I have is that it loads discs faster; not to mention it looks like I'd be giving up a bit of CD analog output quality in the process. If I had to spend $500 on a player today, I'd probably buy the Oppo. But, most likely if I were buying in today's economy I'd buy the cheaper 51FD for similar A/V quality at half the cost. Then when full color 3-D compatible Blu-ray players come out in 2010-2011, I'd spend more money since it would be a more permanent piece of gear.

You just won't give up!! lol I see you're still stuck on that $250.00, yet you never elude to what that additional $250.00 gets you. THE OPPO IS UNIVERSAL PLAYER PERIOD. THE PIONEER IS NOT. THERE'S YOUR $250.00 (PLUS 2ND TO NONE CUSTOMER SUPPORT). IF PEOPLE DO NOT NEED THE ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONALITY OF THE OPPO, THEN THERE ARE OTHER CHOICES INCLUDING THE PIONEER 51FD. You keep talking about future technology (3-D blu-ray players) and speed. I guess people need stay away from those Malaysian units. Also, which players that are currently being released support 3-D? There are plenty of current and future buyers that could care less about 3-D; yours truly included. The same way I could careless less about profile 2.0. The Oppo is a different animal from the Pioneer. Will you be suggesting to future buyers of the latest blu-ray offerings from Pioneer (specifically the BDP-320FD & BDP-23FD) to save their money and wait?

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #193 of 3869 Old 04-12-2009, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

The "additional functionality" you speak of is largely redundant to anyone who already has a collection of SACD-DVD-A's. I already have four boxes capable of sending DSD either via analog or HDMI, why do I need another? Constantly pointing out the lack of most BR players ability to play these marginal formats is beside the main point of comparison. Comparing the DVD-BR performance of the 83 vs ANY other BR player is a valid comparison without even mentioning SACD. Unless you want to limit any further comparison to similar universals...that will be a short list.....Zero, that are currently available, one in EAP and another in ???? sliding timeframe land.

Dont get me wrong, I think its fantastic that OPPO included SACD playback. If Pioneer had done the same with the BDP-09 I'd already have bought one....but Pioneer and other manufacturers aren't aligned with that way of thinking it appears. Perhaps they foresee BR 3.0 replacing the current HiRez formats....whatever, the fact remains that people aren't clamoring to buy SACD or DVD-A, the current typical BR buyer is so little motivated by that added feature as to almost make it a mute point. Sorry for people that care, or people that have current SACD collections, like myself....but the world moves on.

05-1.3H BJC-3808-1.3H BJC-5080
post #194 of 3869 Old 04-12-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

I would not say SACD has failed. There is a steady release of new titles in this format. It is definitely not mainstream though.

Well, I guess as long as units are still being produced, it technically isn't dead. But then again, GM is still making cars but few people would bet much on the future of that company. Coincidentally, SACD's sales for the past couple of years have fallen at similar rates as GM sales (according to RIAA figures at http://76.74.24.142/81128FFD-028F-28...BF16A46388.pdf).

I've owned an Oppo 980H for a couple of years now and while I was initially tempted to get into either DVD-A or SACD, I've never bought a disc. The selection is poor (and I actually like a lot of classical music) and the prices are high. More importantly, I highly value the ability to maintain all of my music on a central media server (I have about 5,000 CDs ripped to flac files).

Given that the number of new consumer entrants into the SACD and DVD-A markets these days appears to be minuscule, the universal nature of the Oppo player may quickly lose its allure (i.e. once the few who participate in these markets decide whether or not they will buy the player). A few others will buy for support for analog 7.1 output but this is also a shrinking market given the capabilities of any recent AVR. After that, the primary selling points will be the video aspects which Oppo brings to the table. While these appear to be considerable, the Oppo player looks like it will have a considerable price in a market that is experiencing massive drops in prices. It will be interesting to see if Oppo maintains its historical refusal to adjust prices a year after introducing the player.
post #195 of 3869 Old 04-12-2009, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

BDP-83 EAP (Nifty Fifty)
(Former Pioneer BDP-51FD Owner)

You Oppo fanboys won't give up will you. Just admit it man, the Oppo is not as great as we hoped it would be. I am one of the few who can easily say that as I did not buy one, instead one was sent to me for review 100% free of charge.

For me it came down to the fact that the Oppo does not outperform my $260 Pioneer BDP-51FD by enough to warrant its purchase.
post #196 of 3869 Old 04-12-2009, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by queequeg99 View Post

Well, I guess as long as units are still being produced, it technically isn't dead. But then again, GM is still making cars but few people would bet much on the future of that company. Coincidentally, SACD's sales for the past couple of years have fallen at similar rates as GM sales (according to RIAA figures at http://76.74.24.142/81128FFD-028F-28...BF16A46388.pdf).

LOL. I guess you didn't look at that document very carefully. It showed DVD-A sales going up at a pretty good rate in the last year reported. Also the RIAA reports only on pure SACD disks, not hybrids which have pretty much replaced pure SACDs.

Not to mention most of the people publishing SACDs are smaller specialty outfits who don't belong to the RIAA, say like Chesky.

Kinda shoots a big fat hole in your argument.

Thanks for playing.

post #197 of 3869 Old 04-12-2009, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tterral View Post

Do you think the Wolfson DACs in the 51 provide better CD analog output than what is in the 83?

that's what I'd like to know as well.......
post #198 of 3869 Old 04-12-2009, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDouglas View Post

the 51FD sounds like a great price/performance combination if you are willing to accept the delays or uncertainty of future firmware delivery

yeah, the performance (of my BDP-05FD) is exceptional, period. You would definitely be impressed, period..........
post #199 of 3869 Old 04-12-2009, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHXBR View Post

I take it you don't have a Denon receiver to use the Denon link?

I have a Denon receiver, however it is the 4802 that does not have Denon Link. I am replacing it soon with an Anthem D2V which is on order.

Based on my experiences with the 3930ci and Denon's treatment of their customers I am not buying any further Denon equipment.

post #200 of 3869 Old 04-12-2009, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

You just won't give up!! lol I see you're still stuck on that $250.00, yet you never elude to what that additional $250.00 gets you. THE OPPO IS UNIVERSAL PLAYER PERIOD.

Oppo plays HD DVD? There were much more mainstream HD DVD releases in the past 2 years than DVD-A + SACD combined. Thus, its not "universal player period" whatever that means! I realize it supports DVD-A/SACD, but I see the LG BH200 as more of a "Universal Player" due to its HD DVD support.

Quote:

THE PIONEER IS NOT. THERE'S YOUR $250.00 (PLUS 2ND TO NONE CUSTOMER SUPPORT). IF PEOPLE DO NOT NEED THE ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONALITY OF THE OPPO, THEN THERE ARE OTHER CHOICES INCLUDING THE PIONEER 51FD.[/b]

I agree, there is some added functionality with the Oppo w/ SACD/DVD-A. But as I stated earlier, many like myself could care less about that functionality - thus it depends on the user.

Quote:

You keep talking about future technology (3-D blu-ray players) and speed. I guess people need stay away from those Malaysian units. Also, which players that are currently being released support 3-D? There are plenty of current and future buyers that could care less about 3-D; yours truly included. The same way I could careless less about profile 2.0. The Oppo is a different animal from the Pioneer. Will you be suggesting to future buyers of the latest blu-ray offerings from Pioneer (specifically the BDP-320FD & BDP-23FD) to save their money and wait?

There are no players being released this year that support the upcoming 2010 3-D Blu-ray standard. That is why I'm stating if you need a player (i.e. dont have one) a $250 investment this year is much smarter than a $500 one. If you do have a remotely decent player (i.e. Pioneer 51FD, Panasonic BD35, Denon 3800, etc), I would advise not to buy any player this year and wait until the Blu-ray spec has finished evolving w/ the upcoming 3-D spec.

Vote with your wallet. Don't buy Cinavia-infected Blu-ray Discs! Why pay a premium for pseudo-lossless audio damaged by an intrusive watermark in the audible spectrum?
post #201 of 3869 Old 04-12-2009, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson View Post

You Oppo fanboys won't give up will you. Just admit it man, the Oppo is not as great as we hoped it would be. I am one of the few who can easily say that as I did not buy one, instead one was sent to me for review 100% free of charge.

For me it came down to the fact that the Oppo does not outperform my $260 Pioneer BDP-51FD by enough to warrant its purchase.

Perhaps the Oppo is not as great as you hoped it would be but don't twist that by saying "the Oppo is not as great as we hoped it would be". You don't speak for we, and being a self confessed "Pioneer elitist bastard" it becomes clear that your judgement is biased right from the get-go. Your wildly inconsistent statements regarding the Oppo sd DVD performance being only a "hair better", or 4.5%-10% better, or 15% better is beyond me but get what you want. For me though the Oppo MORE than outperforms the Pioneer by $260 and I'm not even going to make use of DVDA or SACD capabilities. IMO, VRS deinterlacing and scaling provide stunning DVD playback (I'd choose it over the Realta based Denon 3930CI). Couple that with great ergonomics, fast operation (once promised by Pioneer for the player you covet but not yet delivered) and superior customer support make this choice easy.

Geof
post #202 of 3869 Old 04-12-2009, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Quote:

There are no players being released this year that support the upcoming 2010 3-D Blu-ray standard. That is why I'm stating if you need a player (i.e. dont have one) a $250 investment this year is much smarter than a $500 one. If you do have a remotely decent player (i.e. Pioneer 51FD, Panasonic BD35, Denon 3800, etc), I would advise not to buy any player this year and wait until the Blu-ray spec has finished evolving w/ the upcoming 3-D spec.

That's like advising not to buy a computer until the next wiz bang innovation comes along. These products will continue to evolve and there will always be the next best thing right around the corner. That's how CE companies keep selling gear.

Geof
post #203 of 3869 Old 04-12-2009, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
^^ and talk about niche. Knowing what we do now, I cannot see how that 3D spec is going to be anything but niche if even that.
post #204 of 3869 Old 04-12-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

LOL. I guess you didn't look at that document very carefully. It showed DVD-A sales going up at a pretty good rate in the last year reported. Also the RIAA reports only on pure SACD disks, not hybrids which have pretty much replaced pure SACDs.

Not to mention most of the people publishing SACDs are smaller specialty outfits who don't belong to the RIAA, say like Chesky.

Kinda shoots a big fat hole in your argument.

Thanks for playing.

I did look at it closely. My comment regarding market share was very specific to SACDs (like the post I was responding to). While there are many who have argued that SACD will survive for the time being as a niche format (probably correctly), I haven't seen any recent comments that have argued convincingly that DVD-A will ever become the preferred high definition audio format (and many comments, even from DVD-A supporters, reluctantly acknowledge the viability problems this format faces). When you're dealing with numbers as small as the number of DVD-A units sold (which were less than 1/2 of SACD sales in 2005 and continue to be substantially less than SACD), even a small increase in the absolute number of units will result in an appreciable percentage increase (but still count for next to nothing in the overall sales of music).

While RIAA stats aren't perfect, they can provide some insight into the industry. Perhaps the reason most of the companies publishing SACDs now are smaller specialty outfits is because the larger studios have, to a great extent, dropped out of a shrinking market (if they ever participated in the first place).

My point being the same: these are very small markets that are stagnant at best and shrinking rapidly at worst (with the resulting consequences for those vendor that rely greatly on these markets for product development perspective). Fortunately, the Oppo player has a lot more going for it than SACD/DVD-A support.
post #205 of 3869 Old 04-12-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDouglas View Post

I was considering getting the 51FD too. I went with the BDP-83 because I knew the
OPPO would receive constant firmware updates due to the way they are handling its
rollout and because I was given the opportunity through the EAP. I also wanted the
good DVD upscaling that the BDP083 has. But the 51FD sounds like a great
price/performance combination if you are willing to accept the delays or uncertainty
of future firmware delivery.

SCD

Pioneer's firmware issue is a critical one. A few months back I took my $1000 Pioneer 95 BD player and trashed it. Why? Well, yet another new BD release that the Pioneer couldn't handle without a firmware upgrade. Face it. Pioneer's firmware is extremely fragile and no where near as robust as it should be. To require so many firmware updates to play new BD releases is simply shameful. Add the incredibly long load times and my Pioneer 95 was just too painful to use. I still remember the day I just lost it with this player and ran out to get another player. Based upon all the posts of frustration by current Pioneer owners trying to get new firmware, it's clear that Pioneer has not changed it's firmware ways. I feel the pain of the current Pioneer owners, but you guys really should have considered a different player.

So I went with the Panasonic 35 until the Oppo 83 came out, which I've now had for a few weeks. The Oppo is excellent in every way. The Panasonic 35 is no slouch, but it's not the Oppo and I'll store it as a backup player.
post #206 of 3869 Old 04-12-2009, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

Who knows if this will even get off the ground and its only a proposed Blu-ray standard.

"But not only Panasonic's 3D FHD BD technology require the company's large plasma HDTV with extreme refresh rate, the technology needs actual creators of movies to record content in accordance with certain principles (two left- and right-sided 1080p images should be recorded per every frame), which may result in emergence of separate 3D FHD Blu-ray discs incompatible with existing players and HDTVs on the software level due to the fact that they will carry stereoscopic three-dimensional content that requires high refresh rates, active shutter glasses and support from the player.?"

There was Texas Instruments showing off 3D using DLP last year that really hasn't appeared except in demo's, so every time I hear 3D market buzz my thoughts immediately relate to the old I will believe it when I see it saying.

Actually SMPTE is now working on the standard, not just Panasonic & TI.

post #207 of 3869 Old 04-12-2009, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by queequeg99 View Post

I've owned an Oppo 980H for a couple of years now and while I was initially tempted to get into either DVD-A or SACD, I've never bought a disc. The selection is poor (and I actually like a lot of classical music) and the prices are high. More importantly, I highly value the ability to maintain all of my music on a central media server (I have about 5,000 CDs ripped to flac files).

There are more titles available in SACD than a person could listen to in a lifetime.

It's so puzzling to hear people say they never got into SACD. Have they actually *heard* it? Every single person who has heard SACD at our house has stood there mesmerized. We've had people say they had no idea music could sound like that, that the sound is "holographic", that "it seems like she [the singer] is standing right there", etc.

But hey, don't take my word for it. What do I know? After all, I actually *own* an SACD player, unlike the many posters who don't and who see no need for one and often haven't even heard one. They're the experts, not me.
post #208 of 3869 Old 04-12-2009, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Can you answer this question (btw i own the 51 too)

If you didnt have a bd player and you were given the oppo and the 51 for free but had to give back one, which one would you pass on?

If it was me, (Seeing the pq and sq are almost identical), id keep the oppo for two reasons the speed and knowing a firmware update would be days or weeks away, not 6-12 months away
post #209 of 3869 Old 04-12-2009, 07:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:

In all seriousness, given your signature ("Pioneer elitist bastard") I'm not sure how one could expect an objective review from you.

post #210 of 3869 Old 04-12-2009, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post

being a self confessed "Pioneer elitist bastard"

this is a great thread..............
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List