blu-ray player supports USB AVCHD? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 40 Old 04-08-2009, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Besides PS3, is there any blu-ray player which support AVCHD playback through USB connection from a harddrive or memory card?

I know many players support AVCHD playback on a real (BD or DVD) disc, but I want playback on a USB harddrive which is much cheaper, faster, easier to create content, and I can put tons of content on a big harddrive. And I want AVCHD playback in REAL disc mode with full support of menu, chapter, soundtrack/subtitle etc.

PS3 does it all, but the drawbacks are a very power hungry player (>200W), more fan noise, no bitstream HD audio, supports only FAT32. If there is other player supports USB AVCHD without some or all these limitations, it'd be perfect!

regards,

Li On
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 04-08-2009, 08:17 AM

I'm almost certain the Oppo BDP-83 supports it. As it has a USB port and does support high resolution h.264 files.
post #3 of 40 Old 04-08-2009, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Lots of blu-ray players support video file playback on USB storage. But that is not what I wanted. I want full and real AVCHD playback as if playback from a real disc, with full support of menu, chapter, soundtrack/subtitle etc. PS3 does it, any others? Looks like I'm retyping my original post!

regards,

Li On
post #4 of 40 Old 04-08-2009, 02:40 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Li On View Post

Lots of blu-ray players support video file playback on USB storage. But that is not what I wanted. I want full and real AVCHD playback as if playback from a real disc, with full support of menu, chapter, soundtrack/subtitle etc. PS3 does it, any others? Looks like I'm retyping my original post!

regards,

Li On

The OPPO BDP-83 does, although the only thing I have tested is the AVS HD 709 calibration disc. It has menus and chapters, no subtitles.

-Bill
post #5 of 40 Old 04-08-2009, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Besides PS3, is there any blu-ray player which support AVCHD playback through USB connection from a harddrive or memory card?

I know many players support AVCHD playback on a real (BD or DVD) disc, but I want playback on a USB harddrive which is much cheaper, faster, easier to create content, and I can put tons of content on a big harddrive. And I want AVCHD playback in REAL disc mode with full support of menu, chapter, soundtrack/subtitle etc.

PS3 does it all, but the drawbacks are a very power hungry player (>200W), more fan noise, no bitstream HD audio, supports only FAT32. If there is other player supports USB AVCHD without some or all these limitations, it'd be perfect!

regards,

Li On

I've been asking myself the same thing! I've skimmed/searched the 300+ pages up to now about the Oppo BDP-83 but I can't seem to find where anyone has actually connected a big fat 1TB (FAT32 formatted) HDD to the USB port and played an AVCHD (where are all the HTPCers). The Oppo BDP-83 does sound like an awesome player though and I'm waiting for the public sale...

jidelite
post #6 of 40 Old 04-08-2009, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
AFAIK all BD players with USB only support FAT32,most have a limit on the partition size also.You might want to take a look at the Western Digital Media Player,it supports NTFS and 1TB drives.
post #7 of 40 Old 04-08-2009, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

The OPPO BDP-83 does, although the only thing I have tested is the AVS HD 709 calibration disc. It has menus and chapters, no subtitles.

-Bill

From a USB storage, correct? If you have the player to test, I can make a small sample, with menu, chapter, subtitle, TrueHD/DTS-MA audio, etc. Up the sample somewhere for you to download and test.

If the Oppo can really do it, video in 24p, bitstream TrueHD/DTS-MA, from USB AVCHD playback, then I will get 1 in a heart beat!

regards,

Li On
post #8 of 40 Old 04-09-2009, 04:20 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

From a USB storage, correct?

Right. I've only tested a thumb drive and my mp3 player, but others are using hard drives. There should be no difference.

You might check the FAQ in my sig below to see if there are restrictions important to you.

AVCHD is still not described in the online manual so I don't know if all the features are finalized yet.

Quote:

If you have the player to test, I can make a small sample, with menu, chapter, subtitle, TrueHD/DTS-MA audio, etc. Up the sample somewhere for you to download

I'd love to see it! PM me with a link.

-Bill
post #9 of 40 Old 04-15-2009, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Just checking - has this (the Oppo BDP-83 w/AVCHD on HDD) been tested yet?

Thanks,
jidelite
post #10 of 40 Old 04-16-2009, 06:43 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jidelite View Post

Just checking - has this (the Oppo BDP-83 w/AVCHD on HDD) been tested yet?

I've tested it on a thumb drive. HDD should be identical, but I haven't done it myself.

-Bill
post #11 of 40 Old 04-16-2009, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I will attempt to test my Samsung BD-P3600 this evening.

SpenceJT

www.spenceplace.com

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!"
- Malcolm Reynolds, Capt. "Serenity" -
post #12 of 40 Old 04-16-2009, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

wmcclain,
Cool, thanks for doing it from your thumb drive.

SpenceJT,
If the Samsung BD-P3600 can do it, it goes on my list as well...

jidelite
post #13 of 40 Old 04-17-2009, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I can confirm that AVC HD files will not play off of either a thumb drive, nor do they play via the PC Streaming feature. I may have made a mistake in my haste, but I dumped a raw, unedited AVC HD folder, directly from my camera's memory card to the thumb drive with no playback.

I can try again later with a different file.

SpenceJT

www.spenceplace.com

post #14 of 40 Old 04-17-2009, 07:42 AM

I'm also interested in finding a blu ray player besides the PS3...I am currently using the WD HD media player, works great for $99 but interested in a blu ray player that supports AVCHD...
post #15 of 40 Old 04-19-2009, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

as far as 1080i burned to AVCHD, I am having great luck with my new Samsung BD-P3600. In addition to the AVCHD capability, I have the bonus of streaming content from NetFlix, free audio from Pandora, and even jpeg photos * mp3 audio from PCs on my network (but that part is still buggy). I have yet to stream DIVX from my networked shares, but I have no doubt that it works as well as the jpeg & mp3 playback.

Other players that support AVCHD that should be considered are the Samsung BD-P1600 (which Best Buy has on sale this week), LG's BD370, and their upcoming BD390 (due in early May).

Good luck in your quest!

Spence

SpenceJT

www.spenceplace.com

post #16 of 40 Old 04-20-2009, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi Spence,

So the Samsung BD-P3600 plays burned AVCHD disc, but won't play AVCHD off USB storage, right? Then it goes off my list.

I want a blu-ray player plays AVCHD from USB storage. And not just separately play each video files, I want full menu selection, chapter, audio/subtitle feature, 24p output etc, just like the PS3 does, and more (bitstream HD audio, and maybe NTFS support).

Hi, Bill, sorry for the delay on the test sample. I should get it ready soon...

regards,

Li On
post #17 of 40 Old 04-20-2009, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpenceJT View Post

Other players that support AVCHD that should be considered are the Samsung BD-P1600 (which Best Buy has on sale this week), LG's BD370, and their upcoming BD390 (due in early May).

You can add the Samsung 2500/2550 to that list. I have successfully played an AVCHD DVD (720p, 5.1 DTS).

Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps and Mills resistors (R/L F/R)
(2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (dual centers)
B&O TX2 Turntable
Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray/DVD
Princeton AF3.0HD Monitor
Optoma HD65 Projector
post #18 of 40 Old 05-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Over at the BD370/390 LG Blu-ray player Master/Owners thread, The LG BD390 looks promising for playing AVCHD & MKV from an external HDD attached to the USB port (but I can't seem to get a clear confirmation on AVCHD via USB - just seem like there is not alot of desire to do it). The BD390 even supports a NTFS formatted HDD...

jidelite
post #19 of 40 Old 11-17-2009, 04:56 AM

I'm a Sony fan, bought a Sony TV for the bedroom V5500 and stupidly thought that it could play AVCHD files via its USB port (well, the publicity said it could play back video files, it supports full HD, AVCHD is a Sony format... incidentally the manual is no help at all with formats / video resolution)

So if I record a programme via PlayTV onto PS3, and then copy the recording to the XMB and then copy it to a memory stick and bung it in the back of the telly...

Oh dear, no joy. Thanks Sony.

Does anyone make a (quiet, reliable) BluRay player which plays AVCHD from USB?

Or do I have to buy another PS3 with its very noisy fan.

Or burn the AVCHD file to a DVDR
post #20 of 40 Old 11-17-2009, 05:25 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinneyBeast View Post

Does anyone make a (quiet, reliable) BluRay player which plays AVCHD from USB?

I think some are listed in this thread. The only one I have experience with is the OPPO BDP-83 at $499.

-Bill
post #21 of 40 Old 12-05-2009, 09:16 PM

My BD 390 does not appear to support AVCHD via USB. I own a Canon Vixia HFS10 camcorder which produces .mts file extensions for AVCHD/H.264. The BD390 does not support that file format, so I converted the .mts files to various file extensions (.avi. .mpeg-2, .mp4) which the BD390 does support. But, none of the them playback and the folders read "empty" on the BD390.
If anyone can explain what I might be doing wrong, then please advise. I am talking only about USB/flash drive playback, not DVD disc writing.
Thanks.
post #22 of 40 Old 12-06-2009, 06:07 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeworld View Post

My BD 390 does not appear to support AVCHD via USB. I own a Canon Vixia HFS10 camcorder which produces .mts file extensions for AVCHD/H.264. The BD390 does not support that file format, so I converted the .mts files to various file extensions (.avi. .mpeg-2, .mp4) which the BD390 does support. But, none of the them playback and the folders read "empty" on the BD390.
If anyone can explain what I might be doing wrong, then please advise. I am talking only about USB/flash drive playback, not DVD disc writing.
Thanks.

Note that AVCHD is a specific directory layout and contents, not just individual files. I have not used it, but I have heard that this utility creates compliant AVCHD output: http://multiavchd.deanbg.com/.

I don't know what the 390 supports.

-Bill
post #23 of 40 Old 12-06-2009, 08:32 PM

The Toshiba BD player says in the manual that it does do this via SD card, although I have not tried it
post #24 of 40 Old 12-26-2009, 09:06 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I have a Canon Vixia HF-11 and my Oppo BDP-83 will play the AVCHD .MTS files directly off of the SDHC card (via a USB adapter) when it is plugged into the USB port.

When I select the top-level folder it automatically starts playing, and will play each file seamlessly in succession rather than one at a time (and stopping). It's awesome

I am now trying to copy said folder from the SHDC card to my 32 GB (FAT32-formatted) Flash Voyager USB stick to see if it will do the same thing when using a stick instead of the original SDHC card via adapter. (No reason to suspect it won't; but I'm double-checking anyway.)
post #25 of 40 Old 01-10-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:

Thanks.

The solution is simple - change the *.MTS files extension to either *.TS -or- *.MKV. LG BD390 then plays them smoothly and nicely from a USB drive.

I just did it and enjoyed my first AVCHD home videos in full-HD
Hope it helps to other people out there
post #26 of 40 Old 01-10-2010, 09:34 PM

The Vizio VBR110 Blu-Ray player will play AVCHD off of a thumb drive but there is a 4gig limit because of the fat 32 file system required as seems to be the same with other players. I have broken larger files into smaller sizes and played 720p and 1080p rips.

Now with that said I much prefer my WDTV Live because I do not have a size limit on files.

Such a short time to be there, such a long long time to be gone.
post #27 of 40 Old 01-13-2010, 10:47 AM

How did you get the AVCHD Files to play on the VIZIO VBR110? I have an usb external hard drive which I was able to format in FAT32 without size limitation. I have a couple of HD movies. One in Blu-ray folder structure and on that is .m2ts format. I can play them on my pc but not the Blu-ray player. I also have a couple of music folders and pictures, so I know the player can read the drive. Curious to know what folder structure and format you used.
post #28 of 40 Old 08-20-2010, 11:08 AM

original post
"Besides PS3, is there any blu-ray player which support AVCHD playback through USB connection from a harddrive or memory card? ...
Li On"

Hi !
Few months passed since the original post.
And I would appreciate if anyone could answer very similar question :
Is there any BD player (besides PS3) which can play AVCHD movie from
thumb drive via USB port, and as PS3 could show running date/time stamp
as a subtitle ?
Just for info : if you record AVCHD movie (say, with Sony HDR-SR12) on memory stick,
then copy it to any thumb drive, stick it into PS3 USB port, then besides watching that movie you can switch on/off date/time as a subtitle.
So I would very much like any other BD player to be able to do the same.
Thanks in advance,
bigata61
post #29 of 40 Old 08-21-2010, 05:22 PM

My LG BD390 also play AVCHD files from a USB drive and a 500 GB Western Digital USB external drive. These files are taken directly from my Sanyo camcorder. A word caution.... the warranty on LG products stinks. I had to send my player in for repair, less than a year after i bought it, and got stuck paying for labor.
post #30 of 40 Old 08-22-2010, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjb419 View Post

My LG BD390 also play AVCHD files from a USB drive and a 500 GB Western Digital USB external drive. These files are taken directly from my Sanyo camcorder. A word caution.... the warranty on LG products stinks. I had to send my player in for repair, less than a year after i bought it, and got stuck paying for labor.

OK, understood...
But my main question was: can you switch on date/time with "subtitle"
button ? For family AVCHD movies it is very important to know the date when
the picture was taken. When I use USB drive with PS3 I can switch on the date/time, but would like to know if any other BD player can show date/time for AVCHD footage made with HD camera (say, Sony SR12) ?
Thanks,
bigata61
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page