Samsung BD-P4600 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 110 Old 09-19-2009, 01:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Samsung released update 2.03. I tried network update and firmware would download (really slow) and then went to updating and stayed there "forever" ( i waited 30-40 minutes). I disconnected power, then connected it back. Box loaded fine showing old version. Then i used USB stick for update and it worked fine.

Guide for update tells to do the update procedure twice if performed first time. Does anyone know why? Does BD-P4600 has two bios chips or something like that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 110 Old 09-23-2009, 11:21 PM

Just purchased the Samsung BD-4600. I had no problems setting it up. I rented Fast and Furious to check it out. It played great, loaded fast with a great picture. I then tried a regular DVD and it wouldn't play. I tried another regular DVD and had no problems.

Then I hooked up the plugged in the WiFi dongle that came with it and had no problems hooking up. It then said there was a firmware update. So I updated the player. No problem. Then I went out and rented "Transporter3". It played the previews wonderfully. But once it got to the movie no matter what I'd do it would just stay in the movie loop. There was no selection menu for "play" shown. But I tried all the buttons on the player and with the remote to no avail. The only thing that would happen is the player would start playing the previews over again. I tried another Blu-ray and same thing.
So either the firmware update was total bogus or the player is defective.

If it wasn't for this I'd recommend it but now I have to give this player a total zero.....My rating 0000000. Unless someone tells me that it's me and I just don't know how to use it, this baby is going back to the store for a refund.
post #33 of 110 Old 09-23-2009, 11:35 PM

Just bought the BD-4600 at Best Buy for $350. Nice and compact, very stylish. Just placed it horizontally with a to lift it a bit. Rushed out and rented a "Fast and Furious" played easily, loaded fast and had great picture. Then I installe the WiFi dongle and linked it to my router. It immediately recommended a firmware update. I installed the firmware update no problem. But then I went out and rented another a Blu-ray "Transporter3" disk. It played all the previews and then went into the loop before the movie. But there was absolutely no way to start the actual movie. The remote or player buttons did nothing. There was also no "play" button displayed on the TV. Then video just went into an endless loop. I rented another Blu-ray "Bankok Dangerous" and it did the same thing. Unfortunately it was also a Lionsgate disk so don't know if that's it.

I also tried playing a regular DVD and it wouldn't play but it did play another one with no problem.

So is it a bug in the firmware? or is it me?
post #34 of 110 Old 09-24-2009, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossss- View Post

Just bought the BD-4600 at Best Buy for $350. Nice and compact, very stylish. Just placed it horizontally with a to lift it a bit. Rushed out and rented a "Fast and Furious" played easily, loaded fast and had great picture. Then I installe the WiFi dongle and linked it to my router. It immediately recommended a firmware update. I installed the firmware update no problem. But then I went out and rented another a Blu-ray "Transporter3" disk. It played all the previews and then went into the loop before the movie. But there was absolutely no way to start the actual movie. The remote or player buttons did nothing. There was also no "play" button displayed on the TV. Then video just went into an endless loop. I rented another Blu-ray "Bankok Dangerous" and it did the same thing. Unfortunately it was also a Lionsgate disk so don't know if that's it.

I also tried playing a regular DVD and it wouldn't play but it did play another one with no problem.

So is it a bug in the firmware? or is it me?

I donthave the 4600, but i do have a samsung 1600, and a 1500. on my 1600 i had the exact same problem with transporter 3, it loaded fine went through the previews and then just looped on the main menu, no options to start the movie.

interestingly enuogh i put transporter 3 in my 1500 and it played like a champ, so its not a disc issue, it must be firmware. hope this helps
post #35 of 110 Old 09-25-2009, 12:49 AM

I rented the blu-ray disk Wolverine and had no problem after the previews, it had a menu which if you pressed play the movie started and played with no problems. The Lionsgate disks did not have that menu. I also saw a blurb that Lionsgate is recalling some disks that some players will not play....
post #36 of 110 Old 09-27-2009, 03:40 PM

Ossss-,

I updated the firmware earlier this week via the wireless network without any problems. I have since watched three Blu rays and two Netflix streamed movies without issue. I just put in a DVD and it played without any problems.

I think you have a bad player so take it back!

BTW, when you get a working player I think you will find this to be an awesome player.
post #37 of 110 Old 10-02-2009, 08:03 AM

We put this one in the nursery. We like it since it doesn't have a box look. It is out in the open on the dresser. When people visit they have no idea it is a Bluray. They just assume it is some type of baby wipe container. We mostly stream Pandora for light music during feeding or trying to take a nap. Actually I don't think we have ever watched a movie in there or ever need to.

Anyway....has anyone seen or heard of maybe a possible change or another brand making a cosmetic footprint?...without the box look??
post #38 of 110 Old 10-03-2009, 12:14 PM

I've looked at several websites that list specifications on BD4600.

Some say the BD4600 does have coax digital audio output. Some say there is no coax digital audio output on unit.

This is the first time in my life that I have posted to any forum so I hope I followed the proper procedure.
post #39 of 110 Old 10-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Nuz

Just checked and I don't see a coax output.

Just got an update notification earlier today so I ran it. Now when I come back to the player I only see the backround and no options for Blockbuster, Netflix, YouTube or Pandora. Loading a disk does nothing. Did the update just kill my player?

Mike
post #40 of 110 Old 10-09-2009, 09:04 PM

Has anyone else tried updating to v2.04? I searched and can not find out what exacaly does v2.04 fix.
post #41 of 110 Old 10-09-2009, 10:51 PM
Nuz

Got on the phone with Samsung for my dead unit. Although unit is warrantied for 12 months labor is only 3. So they are sending me a shipping label to repair but will charge labor per Samsung person on the phone. WTH!

Mike
post #42 of 110 Old 10-10-2009, 01:13 PM

I just used my wireless connection to installed v2.04 firmware. I don't see any difference from version .03. I check everything but Block Buster.
post #43 of 110 Old 10-11-2009, 11:00 PM
DTI

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by limdoug View Post

Does anyone think this can be mounted on the wall behind a rather large plasma...say a 65" Panasonic? I figure it doesn't necessarily need to find a stud since it's so light right? Seems like there would be enough physical space back there (depending on your mount of course), but I guess maybe heat could be an issue? I'd like to have a super clean look without any wires anywhere showing if possible. The rest of my equipment is in the closet and this would solve my BD player issues. Any thoughts?

Mounted our's a month ago .6" center above a 58B650 looks good and the best part is the kids cant reach it
post #44 of 110 Old 10-12-2009, 08:24 AM

Does anyone know how this unit does as far as PQ is concern vs. PS3? It's a really nice player but there's so much bad review about it.
post #45 of 110 Old 10-21-2009, 12:45 PM

I have 2 BD-P4600 units, the original style and the newer sleak style. I have updated the firmware on BOTH to the latest as of 10-21-2009 (horribly long process). I am still unable to connect to my wireless network. I do have a DSL modem 2-wire provided by AT&T, is this a possibility that the 1.5mb/s speed is just inadequate? I can understand for streaming it may be slow and choppy, but not even being able to connect to a wide open network? That doesn't make sense to me. I have about 11 other devices connected, from game consoles, iphones, MAC, windows laptops???? Nothing has any issue connecting, even when the WEP security is enabled. Please help me understand why a $350 Bluray player cannot connect. Any help is greatly appreciated.
post #46 of 110 Old 10-22-2009, 11:06 AM

Liked: 11
wow.. surprised to see so many people having issues with their BD-P4600.. No problems here whatsoever and so far I'm loving this player.. PQ is fantastic and the extra features are really nice to have.. I use netflix and pandora all of the time, youtube occasionally, and blockbuster is still a rip off (even though I am a total access member I refuse to rent a digital download for $3.99 or purchase it for $20... ridiculous...)

Anyways, 2.04 made some changes for Blockbuster to work, so unless you use that, you won't see any difference.. And I doubt many people will use it since it's just plain stupid due to pricing.. I'd love for them to replace it with Hulu.. Hulu on these machines would be the absolute best thing out there... That is all I need to be set.. Heck, even replace youtube with it for all I care.

On a better note, I've had great success with both audio/video/picture files from a USB stick as well as across a shared network folder. I do have some minor complaints about it, but nothing huge.. For instance, I wish I could keep playing an mp3 file or playlist in the background while browsing other music to play. I also wish it would remember the position of a paused video file so that when it goes back out to the menu on standby, I can easily return to where I last stopped it. Pictures with slideshows and music is great.

Also, firmware updates allow for mkv files which is fantastic! I do it all the time for trailers off of Apple. Just download an hd trailer (720 runs better than 1080 on this player, especially across the network), simply rename the extension from .mov to .mkv, and this player will pick it up beautifully..

Finally, the samsung forums over on cnet have a tracking of firmware updates and discussion.. You can find them here:

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-13973_10...hreadID=359848

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-13973_10...hreadID=361573

hth,
dave
post #47 of 110 Old 11-01-2009, 06:40 PM

Hey everyone,
I just purchased a Samsung BD-P4600 Blu Ray player, i simply fell in love with how it looked and am planning on wall mounting it in the near future.

Question 1:

I just watched Disney's CARS movie and at approx the 55 minute mark, (or for those of you who have seen it, it's when they go tractor tipping) the screen goes a little weird, almost like it's breaking up and get's sorta pixelated. It's not the whole screen, it's somewhat in the middle left side and another spot and it almost looks like small rectangular bars or blobs. It lasts about 2-3 seconds and almost looks like the movie scrambled a little in those sections of the screen.
I replayed the same scene a few times and it does it every time at the same place. The movie is brand new, no scratches or dirt, from unwrapping it to inside the machine.
From what i understand, Blu Rays are multi level discs...could this be the transition from one layer to another or could it be something else? I watched BBC "Earth" and did not see this happen once. Wondering if there is something wrong with the movie or if it's the machine processing the movie bad. Could there be a pause or break up of the movie if the movie were to switch layers?

Question 2:
I watched the BBC movie Earth which came with my Planet Earth combo pack. I hooked up the 4600 to my Sammy B750 via HDMI. Even though you don't see anyone speaking most of the movie, when the narrator does appear and is speaking, there is a delay in the sound.
You can actually see his lips begin to move, you can actually read his lips then about a 1/2 second later the voice appears on the speakers.

These are the only 2 movies I've watched so far on my 4600 but when i popped in a few other movies just to see if the voice delay happened on the other ones, e.g. Dark Knight, from what i can tell it didn't.
So, if this something in the movie that is not filmed well or is this once again a processing issue with the machine?

Just wondering if i made a good choice in buying the 4600 since these 2 things have happened and they are actually the first 2 movies i've watched on my machine

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me
Tony

Still looking for the perfect TV...
post #48 of 110 Old 11-03-2009, 09:29 AM

Bump for some help please

Still looking for the perfect TV...
post #49 of 110 Old 11-04-2009, 07:50 AM

The 1500 was my first blu-ray and it works fine for blu ray. When I had my 58a650 calibrated (by a guy i found on this site) he had to calibrate it for dvds through my xbox b/c he said samsung is terrible at dvd players (he tried doing it through the 1500 but just couldn't get it set right), and sure enough I can tell a drastic difference when comparing the 1500 w/ the xbox. So for the last year and a half i have been watching all my dvds on the xbox. Now that I am looking at upgrading to a blu ray with more features I am drawn to the 4600 b/c it matches my tv and it has pandora (does any other brands have pandora), but I am reminded by the guy who calibrated my tv that Samsung sucks at dvd players. So my questions are:

- Does the 4600 have an improved dvd player or is it the same that is in the 1500? This would be a deal breaker because I want my new player to be able to play dvds as good as the xbox.

- Is the load time for blu ray improved? While I think the 1500 plays bluray fine it does seem to take a long time to load.

- When people talk about being able to stream videos from their laptop to the tv with this player are you able to play songs from your itunes library?

- Is it compatible with MAC?

Thanks for any guidance yall can give me.
post #50 of 110 Old 11-11-2009, 10:39 PM
Nuz

Update:

After 3 weeks (1 week to ship to NJ, 1 week for repairs & 1 week back to CA) I got my player back. Labor to fix unfixable failed firmware is around $85. Unless you have receipt proving it's within 90 days of purchase. Or else Samsung goes by manufactured date. Luckily I was within the 90 days so they waived the labor fees. I have a bluray player again!

Mike
post #51 of 110 Old 11-18-2009, 04:29 PM
Nuz

Update 2:

So I start playing around with avi, mkv, jpeg and mp3 files. Here are my findings.

-With a 16GB flash drive avi's play fine, but large mkv's (under 16GB) will not copy to the drive saying file is too large. Possibly due to the mkv or FAT32 filesystem. Jpeg and mp3 works.

-Using a 250GB USB drive (the kind with no power) the drive does not power up when plugged into the 4600. USB on the 4600 not supplying enough power?

-Using a 500GB & 1TB USB drive with extenal power and NTFS file system works! Plays avi, mkv, jpegs & mp3's. Woohoo!

Mike
post #52 of 110 Old 11-18-2009, 04:40 PM
Nuz

I forgot to mention the avi, jpeg and mp3 stream via wireless to my pc fine. Mkv video was choppy possibly due to the 13GB file. But mkv is fine on USB drive. HTH.

Mike
post #53 of 110 Old 11-18-2009, 08:08 PM

Dreams,

I've had my P-4600 player since September and I love it. I'm always watching Blu-rays, streaming Netflix videos, or listening to Pandora.
I recently watched Dark Knight and had no issues. I fact the only problem I have had was a couple of streaming freezes while I finished watching Season 3 of Lost.
post #54 of 110 Old 11-25-2009, 07:37 AM

Hey I thought some of you guys might be able to help me out. I just bought the 4600 and I can't seem to get video on my television when I connect through my onkyo receiver with HDMI. I get audio and not video. However the player works fine when I connect directly with the TV. Everything else works fine through the receiver (Wii, Cable, etc), so I don't think it is a receiver problem or even the 4600 problem, they both work fine independently of each other. I even changed the HDMI cable and still same problem. Do I need to set up the 4600 to get video output through the receiver. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
post #55 of 110 Old 11-25-2009, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpatel22 View Post

Hey I thought some of you guys might be able to help me out. I just bought the 4600 and I can't seem to get video on my television when I connect through my onkyo receiver with HDMI. I get audio and not video. However the player works fine when I connect directly with the TV.

The joys of copy protection. I think you've covered all the bases: sounds like your particular setup just won't work via the receiver. I run my player (2550) direct to the HDTV as well.

Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps and Mills resistors (R/L F/R)
(2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (dual centers)
B&O TX2 Turntable
Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray/DVD
Princeton AF3.0HD Monitor
Optoma HD65 Projector
post #56 of 110 Old 11-28-2009, 10:03 AM

So guys, is this better than the 2500, and like the 3600?
Am deciding between the samsung plasma serie 5 and the sere 6. They say that the 5 has worse video processor, but costs less. If i buy the serie 5, i can spare the money to buy this blu ray. So do you think that this blu ray could implement a very nice video processing?
post #57 of 110 Old 11-28-2009, 09:06 PM

Is this Player the best option for WiFi and Netflix combined?

Anyone know if it plays DivX?
post #58 of 110 Old 11-30-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapdiggs View Post

Is this Player the best option for WiFi and Netflix combined?

Anyone know if it plays DivX?

Yes. When mine was working (before auto firmware update destroyed it) it even played .divx files off of my ReadyNAS over WiFi!

Loved it for the two weeks it was operational.
post #59 of 110 Old 12-07-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuz View Post

Update 2:

So I start playing around with avi, mkv, jpeg and mp3 files. Here are my findings.

-With a 16GB flash drive avi's play fine, but large mkv's (under 16GB) will not copy to the drive saying file is too large. Possibly due to the mkv or FAT32 filesystem. Jpeg and mp3 works.

-Using a 250GB USB drive (the kind with no power) the drive does not power up when plugged into the 4600. USB on the 4600 not supplying enough power?

-Using a 500GB & 1TB USB drive with extenal power and NTFS file system works! Plays avi, mkv, jpegs & mp3's. Woohoo!

I have also never had a problem with this Samsung 4600 device since I purchased. Network setup and PC streaming worked flawlessly the first time with not issues.

I want to know if Fast Forward or Rewind buttons are working while streaming AVI or MKV files. They play fine, all I can do however is Pause or Stop. I cannot control the skip functions. HELP! Latest firmware.

NOTE - totally disappointed that you spend $350 on BD player and all it comes with are composite cables! Not even component! Come on Samsung!
post #60 of 110 Old 12-24-2009, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

I've just started having problems with Netflix on the 4600. I hadn't used mine in a month. I watched a few episodes of a tv show, but when I started watching movies, they would freeze. I called Netflix, which said it's a Samsung problem. Samsung acknowledged the problem and said they're working on a firmware update. Anyone else have this problem?
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page