Samsung BD-P4600 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-10-2009, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't see a thread yet for this model. If there is a reason, feel free to move or delete this.

So -- having just bought an A850, I'm in the mood to spend more money than necessary. This gizmo looks gorgeous.

. Any actual reviews on it from users? Is there a risk that the technology is too new, and I should wait for mfr tweaks and updates? Is it just a bloody waste of money?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2009, 10:38 AM

Honestly, if it's anything like the 2500/2550 then it will be a great addition to your 850.

It is really sleek looking, decodes all HR audio and I believe it comes ready to go with a wirless dongle. The price is a bit high, but is pretty much right on par for a new design/model/look.

The technology is not that new, it may use the same tech. as the 1600 and 3600.

- Barry
Old 04-10-2009, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfocussvt View Post

Honestly, if it's anything like the 2500/2550 then it will be a great addition to your 850.

That's the rub: it's NOT like the 2500/2550 (no HQV chip). It's based on the same chipsets as the 3600, but who wants a player with no front panel buttons (or front panel for that matter)? And no multi-channel analog outs for more $$! I think this is one of those instances where they prioritized form over function.

Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps and Mills resistors (R/L F/R)
(2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (dual centers)
B&O TX2 Turntable
Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray/DVD
Princeton AF3.0HD Monitor
Optoma HD65 Projector
Old 04-10-2009, 02:23 PM

well, it is a bit of the form over function on this one. basically the same specs as the 3600 with a few things missing. this one is primarily made for design purposes. you won't find any front-mount buttons because it is designed to be on the top of an entertainment stand or on a wall. yes, on a wall. so like its HTIB cousin, it will have a visual display through the smoke glass on the top...yes, the very top. really more for the clean-lined apt family than the audiophile/HT junkie.

3600 would serve many better. yes, yes, i know, we all hate the gloss trapezoid. blah blah.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

I took a gander at this at the Local Best Buy. It's very light -- probably for wall mounting -- and it feels a little cheap. But then, none of the Blu-Ray players feel particularly sturdy. As for the lack of 7.1 audio out, the sales guy said most receivers will have an HDMI pass-through, so the video will go from the player to the receiver and then to the tv.

Here's an interesting review. I'm amazed at how easily these reviewers shrug-aside a "not great" picture on a $500 player. All that other crap (Netflix, Pandora, etc.) is crap if the picture isn't great. I just don't understand kids these days.

Unfortnately, it doesn't come with the wifi-Dongle. And I could't get the Best Buy guys to hook it up to a tv for viewing.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstone001 View Post

Unfortnately, it doesn't come with the wifi-Dongle. And I could't get the Best Buy guys to hook it up to a tv for viewing.

really? i'm pretty sure it was...website says so, too

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/d...d=BD-P4600/XAA

as far as BB, i'm wondering if it's a store setup policy...local one here doesn't have it set up either, only the 3600/1600. 4600 was just on display.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting. I didn't see it listed on the box. I called Samsung about this, and the woman who answered probably wouldn't have known what a Blu-Ray player was if she couldn't pull it up on her screen.

Anyone know if this is Mac-compatible? Should I be able to communicate with the BD-4600 wirelessly (or even hard-wired) through my Mac laptop?
Old 04-18-2009, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

I bought on yesterday and hooked it up to my A850. The picture is amazing. I watched a BD of Amadeus. The colors are spectacular. I put in a DVD of the Criterion Collection's "Ran," and while the colors aren't as good as the BD (panorama shots of green hills are pretty muted), the picture is much better than my old DVD player). Right now, I'm using the speakers in my tv, and eventually I'll get a new receiver with an HDMI pass-through, so the lack of a component-out isn't an issue for me. The Pandora setup was easy. I don't have a Netflix account, because I have a Blockbuster a block from my apartment and their switch-out policy is incredibly convenient. I didn't use the stand and just laid it down in front of my tv -- the remote still works fine (the sensor is on the top of the unit, so there isn't a direct line of sight). The only problem so far is that I haven't found a code to control it from my cable remote.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

Just picked it up one of those player a couple of days ago, but everytime a start the player i comes the Netflix/pendora logos. is the anyway to get ready of this logos?

thanks
Old 05-31-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeli662 View Post

Just picked it up one of those player a couple of days ago, but everytime a start the player i comes the Netflix/pendora logos. is the anyway to get ready of this logos?

thanks

Think the logos are a feature and you wont be able to remove them. Just got the 4600 paired with a Samsung LN52A650. Wireless connection. Pandora works perfectly but sometimes the 4600 will not connect to Netflix and the only way to fix it is to power it off for 30 secs. This is also an issue reported on the 3600 board so hope they come out with a firmware fix. Other than that the PQ is amazing. Has anyone else had a problem connecting to Netflix?
Old 06-21-2009, 04:05 PM
Nuz

I got this player last week along with the Samsung 7100 series LED TV. BB gave us the 4600 for the price of the 3600 for the TV purchase. Picture is amazing paired with the display playing Blu-ray and DVD's. Streaming Netflix and Pandora is also and awesome feature with the supplied WiFi USB!

Buttons light up on the top and touch and disc load on the side. Can be laid flat, tilted or wal mounted.

Mike
Old 06-22-2009, 02:50 PM

This is a very nice player. PQ is excellent. The best I've seen yet. The Netflix thing isn't working for me though. Is anybody else having this problem?
Old 06-22-2009, 09:47 PM
Nuz

I haven't tried Netflix yet. Pandora works for me.

Some things I discovered with my Denon 4308ci and the Blu-ray player audio settings using HDMI.

If you set audio from setup/audio/digital output/
-PCM - Player audio displays Dolby TrueHD Multi CH - Receiver displays Multi CH In
-Bitstream(Re-encode) - Player audio displays Dolby TrueHD Multi CH - Receiver displays DTS Surround
-Bitstream(Audiophile) - Player audio displays Dolby TrueHD Multi CH - Receiver displays Dolby HD

Mike
Old 06-25-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindros88 View Post

This is a very nice player. PQ is excellent. The best I've seen yet. The Netflix thing isn't working for me though. Is anybody else having this problem?

What's the problem. Does the screen turn red at it searches for the connection to the internet and then show an error. Does it go away when you reboot the player but then come back. If yes then you have to re-initialize. instructions in the manual or online. that shoudl fix it permanently. works a treat. once they get more selection its goodbye blockbuster, HBO, and all the other movie channels.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:54 AM

I own this player and was, at first, flummoxed by the seeming inability for the device to work with Netflix on a consistent basis. I resolved it once and for all by insuring the following was set on the Samsung:

1. Date/Time set correctly.
2. NTP Server set to ON.

Not having the date and time set correctly wreaks havoc with Netflix streaming. After the above, all has been flawless.

Nice long discussion about this issue here, where I also posted my experience:

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-13973_10...rum-w;forums06
Old 07-05-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeli662 View Post

thanks

Not unless there's a disc already in the device. For me, I love how it comes up with that first - that's what I'm using the BD-P4600 for most anyway.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:30 PM
Nuz

I was prompted for a software update today.

S/W: BEv1.14_090528A_XAA
Loader: LDv1.09_09306
Region: A/1 (BD/DVD)

Mike
Old 07-11-2009, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just hooked up my 4600 to my 40B7000 and everything works perfectly. Netflix, Pandora, all good. However, the screen that shows Netflix and Pandora has several irregular blotchy white areas in the blue portion of the screen. These same areas look fine when anything else is on screen. I put a signal generator on the screen and put up a solid red, blue and green as well as 10% to 100% gray screens and again these same areas look perfect. I just have a hard time believing that Samsung would use a background that ugly. Please advise.

Mike
Old 07-11-2009, 05:39 PM

Does anyone think this can be mounted on the wall behind a rather large plasma...say a 65" Panasonic? I figure it doesn't necessarily need to find a stud since it's so light right? Seems like there would be enough physical space back there (depending on your mount of course), but I guess maybe heat could be an issue? I'd like to have a super clean look without any wires anywhere showing if possible. The rest of my equipment is in the closet and this would solve my BD player issues. Any thoughts?
Old 07-12-2009, 11:15 AM

I like the design of the player, and for playing Blue Ray disks, it seems to work fine. Several of DVDs will not play in this unit. It claims the "Disk is unreadable" and ejects it. Even though the disk plays fine in other players. So beware if you have a large DVD collection.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:39 PM

My player firmware updated last week to 1.14. Then the message came that an update was available again. Now the player won't boot or recognize the Wifi USB that has been working for a month.

I'm in the process of burning a CD to fix now.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojinbo View Post

My player firmware updated last week to 1.14. Then the message came that an update was available again. Now the player won't boot or recognize the Wifi USB that has been working for a month.

I'm in the process of burning a CD to fix now.

CD burning did not fix. Player will not boot off Disc or firmware. Stays at "LOADING" all the time. Sad, I liked this player.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limdoug View Post

Does anyone think this can be mounted on the wall behind a rather large plasma...say a 65" Panasonic? I figure it doesn't necessarily need to find a stud since it's so light right? Seems like there would be enough physical space back there (depending on your mount of course), but I guess maybe heat could be an issue? I'd like to have a super clean look without any wires anywhere showing if possible. The rest of my equipment is in the closet and this would solve my BD player issues. Any thoughts?

Saw this threat and wanted to post my installation experience. We have a Panasonic 65 in plasma installed on my family room wall and tried the Samsung 4600 under it because it looked great and had ran the connections to the Yamaha receiver from behind the wall.

Wall mounted the player and it started turning on and off without being touch or programmed. Called Samsung they ran a reset procedure with us but the player would not work. Kept turning on and off by itself. We could not figured out the problem so we took it back to the seller and exchanged it.
We got home installed and the same thing happen again and again.

Once we took it off the wall mount the player worked perfectly. Actually amazingly perfect. So we decided to installed on the wall about 4 inches to the right. Guess what? Now the fast forward, stop and back buttons where being toggle on and off by themselves. Again WTF.

So we decided that there was some sort of electromagnetic interference with the illuminated control buttons and wall mounted it vertically on the side of the wall with the wireless connector pointing upwards. It worked!

We are not gamers and needed to upgrade to a Blu-Ray so this made sense for us. It is different and innovative. We did the firmware update, access Pandora and Netflix. You have to register the device with both services on your computer.

Also got the PC Streaming working with file share. It is not difficult as reported by others. You have to sign into your computer by user name and password then on your computer right click on the folder with pictures or video and select sharing. Video has to be in the Divx format to be able to be played.

It seems like we bought a router instead of a Blu-Ray. The picture quality and audio sound are terrific and works beautifully. IMPORTANT to be aware that your home modem (from internet service provider) needs to support at least 1.5Mbps to 3Mbps. If you have a lower data rate, you will find yourself without enough throughput to get the player to work. This is true for any streaming player dough.

Got a great price deal for the player. Under $300. There are electromagnetic issues with the mounting on the wall so as with real estate, location matters. Wonder if the Samsung knows about this yet.

Benefit comment: By having the player mounted on the wall rather than behind with the rest of the equipment allows to use it more

Highly recommend this player if you are not a gamer and are looking for a different type of Blu-Ray. Very sleek design. Awesome picture and sound.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:59 AM

This is partly because the upload and verify process is not completed.
The only thing to do is restart. If using CD, turn off and back on and hit eject to take out CD. Hope this helps.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:28 PM

I just bought this player along with the Samsung 8000 series LED TV.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:30 PM

I just downloaded the latest firmware (v2.02) release. It added a Blockbuster and YouTube option along with the old Netfix and Pandora toggles on the main screen. More to follow...
Old 09-05-2009, 03:03 PM
Nuz

For some reason I get "Unable to receive the URL information for the movie site" from some of my favorites when using my login for youtube. Any ideas?

Mike
Old 09-05-2009, 03:50 PM

Ok, first a little clarification, this is my first blu ray player and I've only had it for two weeks.
I updated my firmware via the wireless connection a couple of days ago and everything appeared to go well.
I played with the player over the past two days and here are my results:
After reviewing some of the posts from the P3600 forum, I decided to test my player and here are my results:
- The blu ray player play blu ray and DVD disks just fine
- My wireless connection still appears solid (30 mins of Pandora)
- I don't have a Blockbuster account but some of the guys on the P3600 state that the server is yet functioning
- I don't have a Netflix account so no review (edit: added a Netflix account and streamed a 1:30 min movie without issue)
- Pandora works (as stated above)
- YouTube works
Overall, no complaints as Samsung added two new features and everything else still works.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuz View Post

For some reason I get "Unable to receive the URL information for the movie site" from some of my favorites when using my login for youtube. Any ideas?

Nuz, check your router settings.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:36 PM

I have had the P4600 for about three weeks and I love this player. I watched 3 blu ray and 4 Netflix streamed movies over the past week without any issues. PQ was fantastic.