Old 05-14-2009, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post

I might order the Pioneer BDP-320 either tonight or tomorrow that is if I don't like the my Oppo BDP-83(arriving today) or that I feel that it is not worth the extra money over the 320. I just want a blu-ray player with excellent 2 channel analog sound for cd playback, excellent video performance for blu-ray and dvd, and better build quality than my BD60 which I'm selling on ebay.

Kage, I think you will find both the 320 and oppo fit the bill. As for cd playback over two channel analogues, i think i might give the nod to the pioneer. For all other features, the opposite is true. Audio quality is very subjective in my opinion, so i think auditioning both in your listening environment is the smartest way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2009, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does Pioneer still require using the LFE output instead of letting you choose no sub as other manufacturers do? I want to buy a Pioneer 320, but I want to use the crossover in my subwoofer to distribute the signal.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlittrell View Post

Does Pioneer still require using the LFE output instead of letting you choose no sub as other manufacturers do? I want to buy a Pioneer 320, but I want to use the crossover in my subwoofer to distribute the signal.

Theres an option to bypass the crossover all together in the speaker setup.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm not sure I understand the point of doing the multi-channel jitter reduction on the BDP-23FD.

For 2-channel (CD's) I understand, since CD's do not have coded packets, you have to send over raw PCM - and this PQLS jitter reduction should make a difference.

But for multi-channel, woudn't you set your BDP-23 to send over the coded packets, and let the Pioneer receiver do the decoding?
In this case, there is another jitter reduction system on the SC-07 and SC-09receivers (8-channel Sampling Rate Converter) that regenerates the clock internally to the receiver after decoding to PCM. Will work with any Blu-ray player also.

Now I suppose you could set the BDP-23 to do the decoding, send raw multi-channel PCM over, and then take advantage of the PQLS jitter reduction, but whats the point? Why not just a cheaper player, and use the Sampling Rate Converter to do the jitter removal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckZ View Post

Okay, guys, I have a few questions and they have nothing to do with the Oppo BDP-83.

1) How much hardware do the Pioneer BDP-51/05FD and BDP-23FD share?

2) Both the BDP-51FD and BDP-05FD feature the jitter-less 2 channel CD audio transport. Pioneer touts that one of the features of the BDP-23FD is jitter-less transport of all (2 channel and multi-channel) PCM audio. Does this include high resolution audio such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio that has been decoded in the player? And, if the two players share similar hardware, is it reasonable to believe that all three could support jitter-less audio for multiple channels (decoded or otherwise), not simply 2 channel CD audio?

3) Assuming the above is true, who would find it appeasing if Pioneer would add such a feature to the BDP-51/05FD models via a firmware upgrade as a big "thank you" to those who stuck it out owning these Blu-ray players given the circumstances of the firmware development timetable? In my opinion, it would totally mitigate the slower loading times of these players and I'd consider buying one even after I've said some harsh words about these products.

4) Currently, Pioneer's Elite receiver line only supports the PQLS jitter-less playback feature with 2 channel CD audio. Given that the BDP-23FD supports the PQLS feature for multi-channel audio (as stated above), what receiver would make use of this? Does Pioneer intend to release a new line of Elite receivers with this feature? Couldn't the current crop (SC-05/07) support something like this with a firmware upgrade as well? Denon plans to issue a free firmware upgrade (Denon Link 4th) to those receivers in its product lineup that support Denon Link 3rd as a showing of goodwill to those who owned the latest and greatest at the time of their purchase but are being left behind from features such as the new Audyssey DSX. Denon Link is all about jitter-less audio playback over an ethernet cable between CD/DVD player and the receiver. Pioneer seems to have figured out how to do jitter-less audio playback via optical and HDMI (check out Hi-Fi News magazine's write-up and measurements--they're very impressive numbers and reflect an edge in Pioneer's engineering) so I would hope that adding more channels would be trivial.

I wouldn't mind seeing the firmware upgrade for the receivers and Blu-ray players (assuming if any of this is possible in the first place) even if I had to pay a nominal fee (Denon added the Audyssey technologies to their AVR-3808CI and AVR-4308CI products for $100 firmware upgrade if you bought it before a certain period and made it free to new owners sometime thereafter).

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

The reason I ask this is because if you bitstream audio codecs, then you lose secondary audio.

Also, the feature would be useful for Blu-rays as many concert discs use 24-bit/96 kHz surround sound. If it's limited to 44.1 kHz sampling, then it's not as useful.

I know the SC-07 has excellent jitter measurements, but how does the SC-05 fare? Is the sample rate converter responsible for those figures? Can the SC-05 match up since it lacks one? No one knows or wants to answer from my many posts about that particular subject.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:21 PM

Not sure if people are aware but 23FD's owner's manual is on the pioneer's website now.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ep...ctions0319.pdf
Old 05-15-2009, 04:17 AM

A quote from the oppo bdp-83 review @ enjoythemusic.com
"The most amazing attribute of this unit is its ability to transmit full 24-bit/192kHz7.1 channel bitstreams from both video and audio Blu-ray discs to my Integra pre-pro for decoding. My Samsung player and my home theater computer downsample them to 48 kHz. before transmission, and the difference in audio "you are there" feel is significant. An especially good discs to evaluate this is Trondheim Solisten Divertimenti (reviewed here). The box contains both an SACD and a Blu-ray copy of the music, with the Blu-ray having tracks of 24-bit/192kHz PCM, DTS Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD encoding in both surround and stereo. Using my Samsung BDP-UP5000 to the Integra, the 24-bit/192kHz signals were downsampled to 24-bit/48kHz and I had previously thought that it was the pre-pro that was the problem. Now I know that my pre-pro can receive the full 24-bit/192kHzsurround encoding and decode it, and I find these now so close to the SACD original as to be impossible to differentiate on my system."

My question is can the 320 bitstream full 24-bit/192 kHz 7.1 channel, or does it downsample like the samsung?

Edit: Nevermind, 24 bit/192 kHz is probably only available in SACD, but the 320 can't play that.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheedoe View Post

A quote from the oppo bdp-83 review @ enjoythemusic.com
"The most amazing attribute of this unit is its ability to transmit full 24-bit/192kHz7.1 channel bitstreams from both video and audio Blu-ray discs to my Integra pre-pro for decoding. My Samsung player and my home theater computer downsample them to 48 kHz. before transmission, and the difference in audio "you are there" feel is significant. An especially good discs to evaluate this is Trondheim Solisten Divertimenti (reviewed here). The box contains both an SACD and a Blu-ray copy of the music, with the Blu-ray having tracks of 24-bit/192kHz PCM, DTS Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD encoding in both surround and stereo. Using my Samsung BDP-UP5000 to the Integra, the 24-bit/192kHz signals were downsampled to 24-bit/48kHz and I had previously thought that it was the pre-pro that was the problem. Now I know that my pre-pro can receive the full 24-bit/192kHzsurround encoding and decode it, and I find these now so close to the SACD original as to be impossible to differentiate on my system."

My question is can the 320 bitstream full 24-bit/192 kHz 7.1 channel, or does it downsample like the samsung?

Believe it can, but tell me an audio track that has the 192khz encoding and i will give it a whirl. pretty sure i have a number of players that can do this including the lg bh200 that actually lets you choose what you want to output.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli Tha Don View Post

Theres an option to bypass the crossover all together in the speaker setup.

Thanks for the info. I don't think that was an option on the last generation of players.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:49 AM

Liked: 28
I was EAGERLY awaiting the BDP-320 for my Kuro, but with the DVD layer change fiasco I'm out. It's completely unacceptable to have layer changes that are anything other than transparent these days. I was going to use the 320 in my main system which plays an equal number of DVDs and Blu-rays, though most of the DVDs are kid movies. There's just no way to think that Pioneer will fix this in any future firmware updates as their current support seems lacking, at best. So I'll just pick up a Panasonic BD60 and put my current BD35 in the bedroom.

If any of you have any other suggestions I'd love to hear them, but at this point I don't see any reason to shell out an extra $130 for the 320 vs. the Panny for significantly worse DVD performance and only marginally better Blu-ray peformance. I can't justify the Oppo to myself, which is saying a lot. I'm really good at justifying expensive purchases.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Probably been asked a billion times by now but here goes:

Pioneer BDP-320/BDP-23FD

I'm guessing that this will be exactly like the 51/05 where you have essentially identical units except the Elite will have PQLS, possibly little nicer DACs, longer warranty, and some aesthetic differences. Am I correct on that theory or is there really no way to know this yet?

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentiman View Post

I was EAGERLY awaiting the BDP-320 for my Kuro, but with the DVD layer change fiasco I'm out. It's completely unacceptable to have layer changes that are anything other than transparent these days. I was going to use the 320 in my main system which plays an equal number of DVDs and Blu-rays, though most of the DVDs are kid movies. There's just no way to think that Pioneer will fix this in any future firmware updates as their current support seems lacking, at best. So I'll just pick up a Panasonic BD60 and put my current BD35 in the bedroom.

If any of you have any other suggestions I'd love to hear them, but at this point I don't see any reason to shell out an extra $130 for the 320 vs. the Panny for significantly worse DVD performance and only marginally better Blu-ray peformance. I can't justify the Oppo to myself, which is saying a lot. I'm really good at justifying expensive purchases.

my two cents are get a 51FD. You will still have a long layer change, but the SD DVD performance will crush the Panny 60 and the prices are not far off. I don't know about you, but the quality of sd upscaling far exceeds any layer change pause in importance to me.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ View Post

Probably been asked a billion times by now but here goes:

Pioneer BDP-320/BDP-23FD

I'm guessing that this will be exactly like the 51/05 where you have essentially identical units except the Elite will have PQLS, possibly little nicer DACs, longer warranty, and some aesthetic differences. Am I correct on that theory or is there really no way to know this yet?

Don't think anyone has gotten their hands on the 23FD yet to judge PQ, but in all likelihood the differences will be similar to those of the 51 and the 05. The PQ will be the same over HDMI and AQ will be the same over HDMI as well. PQLS for multichannel is one distinct difference. Unsure if the component video output will be superior as well a la the 05.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:51 AM

Liked: 14
Does anyone know what the exact effect of PQLS is? How much of a jitter are we talking about and how much is it contributing to the total harmonic distortion? I waited for VSX-1019AH and BDP-320 because of that feature (and also to save some space vs. VSX-1018AH and BDP-51FD) and now it's driving me crasy that it requires the KURO link to be on, which causes the 320 to set the receiver to the BD input every 5 seconds and that kicks me out of the receiver menus if I'm tweaking the options at that time. Also, if I switch the receiver to some other input, it goes back to the BD if the 320 is not off. It's maddening...
Old 05-15-2009, 12:24 PM

Is the upscaling better than the Kuro upscaling though? That's what would really make the difference to me. Due to the large chassis size I'd have to use this on my bedroom TV, so a 5010FD. Thoughts?

B

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

my two cents are get a 51FD. You will still have a long layer change, but the SD DVD performance will crush the Panny 60 and the prices are not far off. I don't know about you, but the quality of sd upscaling far exceeds any layer change pause in importance to me.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
"the SD DVD performance will crush the Panny 60"

Please offer some support for the word "crush".......

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
Old 05-15-2009, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

"the SD DVD performance will crush the Panny 60"

Please offer some support for the word "crush".......

crush is a technical term of course! ha!

The panasonic suffers with poor deinterlacing and introduces a great deal of jaggies frequently. This can be seen in test discs and real world material. I have owned the 35 and own a 55 - they both do reasonable jobs, but definitely struggle with jaggies. It's been my impression the oppo's vrs does the best, then it's a close tie between the reon chip and the pioneer SoC chip. The Panasonics and Sonys are then behind them with LG (non Qdeo) bringing up the rear. This is of course my opinion and worth what you paid for it!
Old 05-15-2009, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is the upscaling better than the Kuro upscaling though? That's what would really make the difference to me. Due to the large chassis size I'd have to use this on my bedroom TV, so a 5010FD. Thoughts?

B

I have a 5010 (wish I could say it was just my bedroom tv!) and found I preferred upscaling via the 320 or oppo to letting the kurp do the deinterlacing and upscaling. Ruined states on the 51FD thread that the deinterlacing on the 51/05 is superior to the 5020FD as well. I can neither verify nor deny that.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:57 PM

Okay, well if my local BB will PM Pioneer's own price, then I'll probably pick one up. I don't think that the lack of BD live will be a big deal.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
"The panasonic suffers with poor deinterlacing and introduces a great deal of jaggies frequently."

Would like to see something other than opinion please. Testing demonstrated SD-DVD playback on the 30/50 was average or mediocre. SD-DVD improved a great deal to the 35/55 and even a bit more to the 60/80's.

A term like "crush" isn't even close to being accurate. And yes, it is important as people compare products that we at least attempt to be accurate.

On my 61 inch Samsung RPTV I have no problems with sd-dvd playback and the BD55 and if considering a Pioneer 320 would not be doing so in regards to improved sd-dvd. While I have not done a side by side in my home, from what I can surmise by what I have seen is in doing a blind A to B test, I bet I could not tell the difference between the two players and sd-dvd.

Layer changes on the BD55 are handled quite quickly as well.

If I had a 110 inch projector system, who knows?

I for one would love to see some blind A to B testing done by some of the folks who want to label one product as "crushing" another. The results just might be surprising.

Edit: For SD-DVD playback I mostly use my Pioneer DV610 anyway. I prefer to keep hours off my blu-ray player.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
Old 05-15-2009, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Okay, well if my local BB will PM Pioneer's own price, then I'll probably pick one up. I don't think that the lack of BD live will be a big deal.

go to yuor postoffice and get the 10% off coupon as well
Old 05-15-2009, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"The panasonic suffers with poor deinterlacing and introduces a great deal of jaggies frequently."

Would like to see something other than opinion please. Testing demonstrated SD-DVD playback on the 30/50 was average or mediocre. SD-DVD improved a great deal to the 35/55 and even a bit more to the 60/80's.

A term like "crush" isn't even close to being accurate. And yes, it is important as people compare products that we at least attempt to be accurate.

On my 61 inch Samsung RPTV I have no problems with sd-dvd playback and the BD55 and if considering a Pioneer 320 would not be doing so in regards to improved sd-dvd. While I have not done a side by side in my home, from what I can surmise by what I have seen is in doing a blind A to B test, I bet I could not tell the difference between the two players and sd-dvd.

I for one would love to see some blind A to B testing done by some of the folks who want to label one product as "crushing" another. The results just might be surprising.

Edit: For SD-DVD playback I mostly use my Pioneer DV610 anyway. I prefer to keep hours off my blu-ray player.

I wll try to take pictures of the jaggies my 55 creates to back up my "opinion."

and yes, that is sarcasm
Old 05-15-2009, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I have a 5010 (wish I could say it was just my bedroom tv!) and found I preferred upscaling via the 320 or oppo to letting the kurp do the deinterlacing and upscaling. Ruined states on the 51FD thread that the deinterlacing on the 51/05 is superior to the 5020FD as well. I can neither verify nor deny that.

i've tried Source Direct and upscaling on my 5010 with my 51FD. Both have their upsides. I feel that the source direct is smoother and more natural. But the Auto mode looks a little sharper.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post

i've tried Source Direct and upscaling on my 5010 with my 51FD. Both have their upsides. I feel that the source direct is smoother and more natural. But the Auto mode looks a little sharper.

Are you using Standard, smooth, or advanced processing in the pro cinema menu of your 5010?
Old 05-15-2009, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Are you using Standard, smooth, or advanced processing in the pro cinema menu of your 5010?

Advanced.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had both BD60 and 51FD and compared them side by side with SD DVD playback. The pioneer was noticably sharper, with less noise while the Panny had slightly, and I mean slightly better motion with the 24fps feature. Pick your poison.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:

I don't know about you, but the quality of sd upscaling far exceeds any layer change pause in importance to me.

exactly how I feel. I've been using my BDP-05FD with a PDP-4280HD Kuro display. I let the BDP-05FD do the up-scaling, performance is exceptioanlly good.

While i've been using D-Nice's settings for my display, I've played around with settings here and there, it can be a little confusing at times whether one parameter change is worse or better? For example changing Pure Cinema- Film Mode form "Standard" to "Smooth"? I don;t notice major change. I have Video Adjust mode (on player) set = "PDP-Pro".
Old 05-15-2009, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

crush is a technical term of course! ha!

The panasonic suffers with poor deinterlacing and introduces a great deal of jaggies frequently. This can be seen in test discs and real world material. I have owned the 35 and own a 55 - they both do reasonable jobs, but definitely struggle with jaggies. It's been my impression the oppo's vrs does the best, then it's a close tie between the reon chip and the pioneer SoC chip. The Panasonics and Sonys are then behind them with LG (non Qdeo) bringing up the rear. This is of course my opinion and worth what you paid for it!

I wouldnt get jsmiddleton started if I were you bro. sd dvd upscaling is somewhat of a touchy subject to him....

at least you didn't say that it can "handily" beat pannys upscaling. Something about that word seems to really hit a nerve
Old 05-15-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli Tha Don View Post

I wouldnt get jsmiddleton started if I were you bro. sd dvd upscaling is somewhat of a touchy subject to him....

at least you didn't say that it can "handily" beat pannys upscaling. Something about that word seems to really hit a nerve

I'm not touching that one again
Old 05-15-2009, 09:45 PM

Anybody seen the 320 at Best Buy yet? I have gift cards burning a hole in my pocket...