Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #3061 of 6391 Old 03-06-2010, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Some people have been critical of the 320 for being fussy about the quality of BDs, especially from Netflix. I just want to provide an anecdote. I tried to play "There Will Be Blood" on BD from Netflix in my 320. It had trouble loading but seemed to load maybe two out of 3 time but always froze at the same frame mid-movie. This was the second Netflix Blu-Ray in a two weeks that would not play on the 320. I had gone months without a hick up on the Panny BD35 I had been using, so I was grumbling pretty hard under my breath about the 320. I downloaded the 3.54 Firmware ISO and updated, did not make any difference.

I really wanted to watch the rest of this film so I pulled the Panny BD35 player of the shelf and plugged it in. The Panny even had a harder time loading the disc. It would only get to the main menu maybe 1 out 5 or 6 attempts. When it failed loading it said copyright violation. When it would load it played a short ways past the frame that would hang the 320, but a few frames later the picture would start breaking up and within a minute or so it would be locked up hard as well. So then I took the disc to PC with an LG BD multi drive. The PC refused to even acknowledge a disc was in the drive. I cleaned and examined the BD disc thouroughly. It looked perfect. It just wasn't any good. I wonder how often these things just get recirculated frustrating on user after another.

So the moral is before you start blaming the 320 for not reading marginal discs from Netflix . You might want to find out just how bad that BD media giving you trouble really is. I will say I think the 320 is prone to misbehaving if it gets even a little too warm. But I think a lot of the disc reading criticism is probably misplaced. I have a DVDO Edge sitting on top of my 320 now and I will make other arrangements in my rack.

Just another blank signature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 6391 Old 03-06-2010, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Let me give my opinion on the BDP 320 which I bought in December. I signed up with Netflix the same month receiving 5 movies.

I would guess so far I've watched atleast 60 movies(40%dvd 60 bd) since then.

100% record so far playing old and latest movies. I haven't had one dvd or bluray movie freeze. In fact, some of the dvds that had visible scratches played without freezing. I haven't had a movie even freeze on me yet.

I don't know if I'm lucky or what but I watch movies on my 500M without issues.

again 100% record for me so far.
post #3063 of 6391 Old 03-06-2010, 11:39 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklion View Post

Silly question here - does any one know why the European models of the 320 and 23 do not have the 7:1 outs? Thanks!

It's not a silly question and good catch btw. Wonder if there are firmware differences between US and Euro models?
post #3064 of 6391 Old 03-07-2010, 12:42 AM

Liked: 10
Warning !! Warning!! Avoid v3.54

I updated my BDP-320 to firmware v3.54 yesterday - and I can no longer access the BD-Live content on my "Public Enemies" (Universal Pictures, Johnny Depp) Blu-ray disc!!
This is the only disc I have with access to BD-live content so I don't know how wide-spread the problem is.

I have run the network connection test - all OK, and before the 'main feature' the disc downloads and plays new trailers via BD-live, but when I chose the BD-live "What's New" option from the disc's main menu, the player just hangs, displaying "67 PLAY".

I have successfully accessed the BD-live content from my PS3, so it is not a problem with the Universal web site - its a problem with the BDP-320.
The irony is that according to the Pioneer change log for this update, it "Enhances stability of BD-LIVE functions" !!

Note : I am in the UK - and hence downloaded the UK/EU firmware.
post #3065 of 6391 Old 03-07-2010, 03:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 360
try resetting the player. (see 1st page on how to do so) and see whether the problem persists.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #3066 of 6391 Old 03-07-2010, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
anyone looking for a new 23fd should jump to vanns.com.......

oops my bad..it's already posted..sorry
post #3067 of 6391 Old 03-07-2010, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post

anyone looking for a new 23fd should jump to vanns.com.......

oops my bad..it's already posted..sorry

gene9p,

No problem!! I'm in the process of rolling over my two BDP-51FDs to two BDP320s. As far as that Vanns.com thing goes I picked up one of those babies also.

Respectfully,
Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #3068 of 6391 Old 03-07-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

try resetting the player. (see 1st page on how to do so) and see whether the problem persists.

David - thanks for the suggestion. I tried it but it sadly it made no difference.

However, I've had confirmation from a fellow UK BDP-320 owner that he can still access the "Public Enemies" BD-Live content after upgrading to firmware v3.54.

So the problem is probably related to my player / disc and not v3.54

I don't quite know what to try next - it may be a matter of taking the machine back to the retailer.

Anyway, thanks again for your help.
post #3069 of 6391 Old 03-07-2010, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Last try: try reinstalling the firmware, if the player takes it, it may help solve your problem.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #3070 of 6391 Old 03-07-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwasie View Post

Let me give my opinion on the BDP 320 which I bought in December. I signed up with Netflix the same month receiving 5 movies.

I would guess so far I've watched atleast 60 movies(40%dvd 60 bd) since then.

100% record so far playing old and latest movies. I haven't had one dvd or bluray movie freeze. In fact, some of the dvds that had visible scratches played without freezing. I haven't had a movie even freeze on me yet.

I don't know if I'm lucky or what but I watch movies on my 500M without issues.

again 100% record for me so far.

Of six rentals, all bds, three froze. One was The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, the second was the Planet Earth series which froze on three of the discs. The last disc was one of the Pirates of The Caribbean, sorry I don't remember which one.
post #3071 of 6391 Old 03-07-2010, 12:42 PM

Mine has not frozen once on me either....I do not use net flix though.
post #3072 of 6391 Old 03-07-2010, 03:52 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklion View Post

Silly question here - does any one know why the European models of the 320 and 23 do not have the 7:1 outs? Thanks!

It is probably because European countries are generally more conscious of wastage. I am willing to bet that most 320/23 owners have never used the analog outs yet and likely never will.
post #3073 of 6391 Old 03-07-2010, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Seems odd they would share the same software as there would be no reason for a speaker setup menu without multi analogs.
post #3074 of 6391 Old 03-08-2010, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post

Seems odd they would share the same software as there would be no reason for a speaker setup menu without multi analogs.

TommyV,

I am with you on this one. It does seem odd. It made more since on the previous BDP-51FD and BDP-05FD since those players were identical to their European counterparts.

While some may have downloaded the European software without incident; I can wait for the US version since I'm currently not experiencing any problems.

Respectfully,
Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #3075 of 6391 Old 03-08-2010, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Perhaps the Europeans transitioned faster/smoother from SCART to HDMI and side-stepped the whole MCH analog outs phase?

Perhaps the Europeans did not have as much invested in legacy non-HDMI AVRs as North Americans and so have less need for MCH analog outs on source components?

Perhaps the Japanese CE companies basically shafted the thrifty Europeans with stripped down versions of BD players and shipped the full featured models to more affluent North America where they could charge premium?

Denon X4000: Yamaha AS500;TS500;CDS300: Pioneer BDP62FD;BDP23FD;DV58AV;DV610: Panasonic DMP-BDT500; Sony BDP-S790; Samsung PS60E6500
post #3076 of 6391 Old 03-08-2010, 08:19 AM

Does the BDP-23FD support 720p/24Hz playback?

Thanks
post #3077 of 6391 Old 03-08-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahnesta8 View Post

Of six rentals, all bds, three froze. One was The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, the second was the Planet Earth series which froze on three of the discs. The last disc was one of the Pirates of The Caribbean, sorry I don't remember which one.

I watched the first Pirates of The Caribbean, worked without a problem. unfortunately, I stopped watching it half way out of boredom. Beautiful though watching on my krp-500m.
post #3078 of 6391 Old 03-08-2010, 01:44 PM

Funny you mention Pirates of the Caribbean. I was watching the POC Dead Mans Chest on the USA HD network a couple of nights ago and it looked great. I was curious how the HD broadcast would compare versus the BDP 320. So I popped the DVD into the 320 and did some comparisons. The upscaled DVD was not nearly as good as the HD broadcast.

I know that not many will find that startling. But, I have seen many reviews of the upscaling capabilities of the 320 on DVD's to be close to HD quality. It was not very close on this material. The HD broadcast was much brighter and detailed. It almost looked digital or video like.

Still loving the 320 though.
post #3079 of 6391 Old 03-08-2010, 02:01 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnold View Post

Funny you mention Pirates of the Caribbean. I was watching the POC Dead Mans Chest on the USA HD network a couple of nights ago and it looked great. I was curious how the HD broadcast would compare versus the BDP 320. So I popped the DVD into the 320 and did some comparisons. The upscaled DVD was not nearly as good as the HD broadcast.

I know that not many will find that startling. But, I have seen many reviews of the upscaling capabilities of the 320 on DVD's to be close to HD quality. It was not very close on this material. The HD broadcast was much brighter and detailed. It almost looked digital or video like.

Still loving the 320 though.

I would expect a HD broadcast would beat out even the best upscaled SD DVD. I caught the Pirates movie on USA the other night and indeed the PQ looked excellent, much better than any video upscaler available.

I'm enjoying my 23fd (just got it this morning) and the SD quality on my 50" is great, but definitely not HD quality.
post #3080 of 6391 Old 03-08-2010, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

There are so many variables in that situation that there is no way you could make such a sweeping generalization like that. Comparing the upscaled DVD in the 320 to another disc player would be much more relevant to this thread.
post #3081 of 6391 Old 03-08-2010, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

TommyV,

I am with you on this one. It does seem odd. It made more since on the previous BDP-51FD and BDP-05FD since those players were identical to their European counterparts.

While some may have downloaded the European software without incident; I can wait for the US version since I'm currently not experiencing any problems.

Respectfully,
Willie

Willie

Yes I had the same reaction (now very weary of loading euro sw onto my player). I know when I first got my 23FD, 3.41 had just come out. The one I loaded was a Japanese software. I just looked and the Japanese 320/23FD models and to my surprise they do not have multi analogs either. My speaker setup works wonderfully and I take advantage on this player's surprisingly exceptional analog audio capability.

At some point, plan to move my 51 into my main setup just as a comparison for the analog audio alone but there are so many other pluses on the side of my 23FD that it is here to stay in top dog status. I currently use the 51 in my analog 2ch bedroom setup with audio equipment that is no slouch hooked to a 50" Panny plasma.

I got a little off track there but my point was surprisingly the foreign software does not effect the multi analog use but like you I am going to wait out for the US site to post up any new software. There is no compelling reason to push me from 3.41 as everything is working superbly in my system as is.
post #3082 of 6391 Old 03-08-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trem0lo View Post

I would expect a HD broadcast would beat out even the best upscaled SD DVD. I caught the Pirates movie on USA the other night and indeed the PQ looked excellent, much better than any video upscaler available.

I'm enjoying my 23fd (just got it this morning) and the SD quality on my 50" is great, but definitely not HD quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post

There are so many variables in that situation that there is no way you could make such a sweeping generalization like that. Comparing the upscaled DVD in the 320 to another disc player would be much more relevant to this thread.

Oh, I don't know. I think as a generalization, one could presume that IF the HD broadcast (as heavy-handed the compression is for current 1080i and 720p network content) were in fact derived from actual HD sources, that if would be better than an SD DVD upscaled to (in particular) a 1080p display.

No matter how good the upscaling (my BDP-23FD does a great job - I am continually amazed at how good SD DVDs like CARS, LOTR and Harry Potter look), DVD-Video at 720x480 (with rectangular, not square pixels), even with a masterful, high bitrate encoding, is an inferior source to display on a HD screen. The upscaling and image processing algorithms may attempt generating detail which isn't there to fill in the additional pixels (a factor of 3x for 720p and 6x for 1080p), but stacked against true HD content even compressed for transport (much more for cable than broadcast), I'll opt for the broadcast version if raw PQ is the measure.

Again, this is only a general, generalization - not a "sweeping" one. Specific content, through what paths and equipment, just 'how much' better is better, extra features and convenience are all considerations.

But, TommyV, all that said - I do agree this particular 'which looks better' question is one for another thread.
post #3083 of 6391 Old 03-09-2010, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

so as of today..what is the best price going for the23fd..I do not like the idea of having to bundle the player with an hdmi cable raising the price 20 bucks from vann's
post #3084 of 6391 Old 03-09-2010, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post

so as of today..what is the best price going for the23fd..I do not like the idea of having to bundle the player with an hdmi cable raising the price 20 bucks from vann's

gene9p,

I assumed you were pulling the trigger on one back when you posted on the 7th. Also, I see the price is still $249.88, but the link to add it to your shopping cart is gone. Are they requiring you to place the order over the phone and purchase the HDMI cable to get that price? Just two weeks ago you could get the player at that price with the HDMI cable.

Respectfully,
Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #3085 of 6391 Old 03-09-2010, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

gene9p,

I assumed you were pulling the trigger on one back when you posted on the 7th. Also, I see the price is still $249.88, but the link to add it to your shopping cart is gone. Are they requiring you to place the order over the phone and purchase the HDMI cable to get that price? Just two weeks ago you could get the player at that price with the HDMI cable.

Respectfully,
Willie

yes...........
post #3086 of 6391 Old 03-09-2010, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Hey all. I just got done comparing my Pioneer 23FD Blu-ray to the new LG 590 and my LG 390 and thought I would share my results with you. Equipment used was an Onkyo Tx-nr 906 receiver with Umr calibrated audio and a Umr calibrated Pioneer Kuro 151 60" Elite tv. The players were calibrated using the AVSHD disc. I used familiar Blu-ray discs such as the Pirates movies, several Criterrion BD discs for their very film-like presentation,The Illusionist (Gorgeous looking import) Patton, Sand Pebbles, How the West was Won and more. For dvd I just used LOTR. I will keep this short though and get right to the bottom line. The 23fd is still king as far as these eyes can tell. I can see how some might initially think the LG 590 is superior because of the pop it has. Upon further viewing though, this works against it as it hurts movies that are very film-like.The image from the LG590 is what I consider "hot" . Contrasty looking and punchy but not quit as much as Sony BD players that I did not like for the same reasons. What I was most surprised with was that I thought the LG390 looked better (captures the film-ness of certain movies), SD was alot better on the LG390 that the 590 in my opinion. The 590 was noisy in it's presentation on both BD and especially Sd. What made the Pioneer shine was it's ability to capture the best of both players.It fully captures the filmness of certain movies,yet has all the punch necessary for others and it does this with the minimum of noise and artifacts. It's dvd playback is great as is the LG390. I was not impressed at all with the LG 590 dvd playback. Noise and artifacts were obvious. I rank the 23FD as 1st, LG 390 as 2nd and the LG590 as a distant 3rd. Having said that, I love the speed od the LG players and the 590 is loaded to the gills with features. I may keep it for it's harddrive for cd burning and for Vudu movie And there you have it....

If you're talkin, you ain't learnin.
post #3087 of 6391 Old 03-09-2010, 07:24 PM

I've owned the 320 since Oct 09 and only used it for viewing blu-ray and dvds up to now. I have it hooked up to the SC-05 and 6010 Kuro. Today I connected an ethernet cable to an Apple Airport Express. I have an Apple Extreme base unit router hooked to TWC and an old Mac G5. I checked the 320's menu and saw the network connections were recognized. The manual does not provide a clear path to enabling the BD live feature and possibly viewing streaming video from the internet. Can someone help me out? How does this LAN work? How do I view streaming video? Can I watch Netflix online? Thanks, I'm really, really a nooby here.

Whalen
post #3088 of 6391 Old 03-09-2010, 07:33 PM

3.54 firmware working fine on my 320. no issues to report..
best,
chris
post #3089 of 6391 Old 03-10-2010, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi59 View Post

Hey all. I just got done comparing my Pioneer 23FD Blu-ray to the new LG 590 and my LG 390 and thought I would share my results with you. Equipment used was an Onkyo Tx-nr 906 receiver with Umr calibrated audio and a Umr calibrated Pioneer Kuro 151 60" Elite tv.

hifi59,

What is "Umr calibrated audio"?

Respectfully,
Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #3090 of 6391 Old 03-10-2010, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

hifi59,

What is "Umr calibrated audio"?

Respectfully,
Willie

My audio and video were recently calibrated by isf calibrator Jeff Meier (aka Umr.)

If you're talkin, you ain't learnin.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page