Pioneer BDP-320/BDP-23FD Owner's Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #451 of 6386 Old 05-22-2009, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post

23Fd on its way...never had the 320.

CD

please post load times when you get around to testing it. i will post them in the first post/faq area.
winston9332 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #452 of 6386 Old 05-22-2009, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Any 320 or 23 owners play this disc? It will not play on the 51 or 05 (possibly on any non-2.0 player). If more discs come out that require a profile 2.0 player, this could be a strong case for the 320 over the 51 (or any other profile 1.1 player).
winston9332 is offline  
post #453 of 6386 Old 05-22-2009, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 1,090
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can someone please post internal pictures of the 320?
Kage is offline  
post #454 of 6386 Old 05-22-2009, 10:10 AM
Senior Member
 
svphile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is the 23fd out yet?
svphile is offline  
post #455 of 6386 Old 05-22-2009, 11:34 AM
Member
 
Rino13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by svphile View Post

Is the 23fd out yet?

yes i picked mine up yesterday. I love this player so far.
Rino13 is offline  
post #456 of 6386 Old 05-22-2009, 11:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Q of BanditZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: blurayoasis.com
Posts: 15,242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rino13 View Post

yes i picked mine up yesterday. I love this player so far.

Hopefully you can write back and tell us more about it before long.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
Q of BanditZ is offline  
post #457 of 6386 Old 05-22-2009, 01:08 PM
Senior Member
 
iserum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
BB has 320 on their web site, it is not available at stores yet, i still have two weeks to return my BDP-51FD so far i am happy with it, i really don't need BD live nor i do FW update via ethernet, i always trust disc update.

i am reading both these threads for Pioneer players, my conclusion so far is 320 is not too better than 51FD, so if BD live is not desireable am i correct to stick to BDP-51FD. please correct me if i am wrong, DTS MA is an issue but it guess a FW is coming for 51FD, 320 do it out of the box.
iserum is offline  
post #458 of 6386 Old 05-22-2009, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by iserum View Post

BB has 320 on their web site, it is not available at stores yet, i still have two weeks to return my BDP-51FD so far i am happy with it, i really don't need BD live nor i do FW update via ethernet, i always trust disc update.

i am reading both these threads for Pioneer players, my conclusion so far is 320 is not too better than 51FD, so if BD live is not desireable am i correct to stick to BDP-51FD. please correct me if i am wrong, DTS MA is an issue but it guess a FW is coming for 51FD, 320 do it out of the box.

Keep in mind some discs are only playable on profile 2.0 players (ie terminator skynet) and the 320 will be the current model and might garner more attention for firmware as pioneer tries to sell it as the latest model. in terms of pq, they are identical.
winston9332 is offline  
post #459 of 6386 Old 05-22-2009, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 1,090
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by iserum View Post

BB has 320 on their web site, it is not available at stores yet, i still have two weeks to return my BDP-51FD so far i am happy with it, i really don't need BD live nor i do FW update via ethernet, i always trust disc update.

i am reading both these threads for Pioneer players, my conclusion so far is 320 is not too better than 51FD, so if BD live is not desireable am i correct to stick to BDP-51FD. please correct me if i am wrong, DTS MA is an issue but it guess a FW is coming for 51FD, 320 do it out of the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Keep in mind some discs are only playable on profile 2.0 players (ie terminator skynet) and the 320 will be the current model and might garner more attention for firmware as pioneer tries to sell it as the latest model. in terms of pq, they are identical.

The 320 has more buffer memory than the 51FD that a future firmware update may help to increase its (320) speed in loading times and other basic functions.
Kage is offline  
post #460 of 6386 Old 05-22-2009, 02:08 PM
Member
 
danoeltico's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: RDU NC
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm picking up a 23FD tomorrow from my local HT store to audition over the long weekend. Has anyone messed with the settings of this player yet? I don't have any BDs, so I'm going to rent a few or might pick a few up if it isn't going to be that much more. Any suggestions as to what a good reference disk might be? I plan to really run it through the paces with my favorite CDs and SD DVDs. One of the best players I've seen so for with SD DVD is the Cary Audio DVD-6, which I've auditioned as well, so I want to see how the 23FD does compared to that (from what I can remember) I really wanted to audition the 09FD but it is set up in a dedicated theater room and was told I couldn't borrow it, but another store said that they would have one in, in the up coming weeks.

My system is a Pioneer Pro-1150HD, Vanderseen 2CE, VCC-1, VMS-1, Denon AVR-3805, and my weakness is my source (hence the audition). I'll let everyone know my thoughts for what they are worth after three days of watching and listening as the wife will be gone for most of the weekend.

Love my BDP-09!
danoeltico is offline  
post #461 of 6386 Old 05-22-2009, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Charles R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 9,797
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post

The 320 has more buffer memory than the 51FD that a future firmware update may help to increase its (320) speed in loading times and other basic functions.

I think they will be lucky just to keep up with the latest disc issues regarding firmware updates. So I wouldn't look for much... it hasn't helped the 09FD. Plus being 2.0 just might slow it down over time not speed it up.
Charles R is offline  
post #462 of 6386 Old 05-23-2009, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by danoeltico View Post

I'm picking up a 23FD tomorrow from my local HT store to audition over the long weekend. Has anyone messed with the settings of this player yet? I don't have any BDs, so I'm going to rent a few or might pick a few up if it isn't going to be that much more. Any suggestions as to what a good reference disk might be? I plan to really run it through the paces with my favorite CDs and SD DVDs. One of the best players I've seen so for with SD DVD is the Cary Audio DVD-6, which I've auditioned as well, so I want to see how the 23FD does compared to that (from what I can remember) I really wanted to audition the 09FD but it is set up in a dedicated theater room and was told I couldn't borrow it, but another store said that they would have one in, in the up coming weeks.

My system is a Pioneer Pro-1150HD, Vanderseen 2CE, VCC-1, VMS-1, Denon AVR-3805, and my weakness is my source (hence the audition). I'll let everyone know my thoughts for what they are worth after three days of watching and listening as the wife will be gone for most of the weekend.

If you have a chance, please time normal operations (ie power on, disc load times, hitting eject when cold, etc). Thanks!
winston9332 is offline  
post #463 of 6386 Old 05-23-2009, 07:19 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
joerod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: MIDWEST (just outside Chicago)
Posts: 22,015
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I have both but sadly since my VW200 is in Laredo I can't really do a "serious" review or comparison. I will be playing with it on my new Panny 50" plasma set up but will hold off on any serious comments until late next week.

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
joerod is offline  
post #464 of 6386 Old 05-23-2009, 07:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Q of BanditZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: blurayoasis.com
Posts: 15,242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I have both but sadly since my VW200 is in Laredo I can't really do a "serious" review or comparison. I will be playing with it on my new Panny 50" plasma set up but will hold off on any serious comments until late next week.

Feel free to fire off whatever you want in the mean time, please.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
Q of BanditZ is offline  
post #465 of 6386 Old 05-23-2009, 11:24 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
joerod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: MIDWEST (just outside Chicago)
Posts: 22,015
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ View Post

Feel free to fire off whatever you want in the mean time, please.

Will do.

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
joerod is offline  
post #466 of 6386 Old 05-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Member
 
ciccio250's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Winston for starting up this forum, I just got my first bluray the 320...I went to put in my first bluray cloverfield and it said can not play took disc out cleaned the disc put back in and it worked, was happy about that, do you usaully have to clean them before playing? I was wondering how do you check to see what firmware you have? Well I am sure I will have some question in the future but for now I will try to enjoy my player...by the way the kuro link seems to be working just fine with my kuro 5020. Thanks again Winston for your time and review of this player so far I'm glad I bought it.

Have a nice weekend!!!!

ciccio
ciccio250 is offline  
post #467 of 6386 Old 05-23-2009, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciccio250 View Post

Thanks Winston for starting up this forum, I just got my first bluray the 320...I went to put in my first bluray cloverfield and it said can not play took disc out cleaned the disc put back in and it worked, was happy about that, do you usaully have to clean them before playing? I was wondering how do you check to see what firmware you have? Well I am sure I will have some question in the future but for now I will try to enjoy my player...by the way the kuro link seems to be working just fine with my kuro 5020. Thanks again Winston for your time and review of this player so far I'm glad I bought it.

Have a nice weekend!!!!

ciccio

Rental discs often have to be cleaned. One of the charming features of blu ray is the lasers tend to be more sensitive to dust. I had a similar thing happen with a netflix rental last night. Look at it as the 21st century version of blowing on the game cartridge of an old nintendo.

Your firmware is within the start up menu when playback is stopped. Go to update information beneath initial setup and it will show the firmware on the bottom. Mine is 3.04 and there have been no updates I am aware of.
winston9332 is offline  
post #468 of 6386 Old 05-23-2009, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 1,090
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Within the past few days of usage, I really like the 320 and I haven't had a single playback problem. I like using the professional picture mode, it makes the picture quality more natural with vibrant color along with deeper blacks. I'd recommend this player over the blu-ray players within the same price range due to its dvd performance, top notch HD pq, excellent analog audio, and excellent build quality in its price range.
Kage is offline  
post #469 of 6386 Old 05-23-2009, 05:05 PM
Newbie
 
tb33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: St. Pete FL
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post

Within the past few days of usage, I really like the 320 and I haven't had a single playback problem. I like using the professional picture mode, it makes the picture quality more natural with vibrant color along with deeper blacks. I'd recommend this player over the blu-ray players within the same price range due to its dvd performance, top notch HD pq, excellent analog audio, and excellent build quality in its price range.

+1 This machine rocks.
tb33 is offline  
post #470 of 6386 Old 05-23-2009, 06:07 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
joerod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: MIDWEST (just outside Chicago)
Posts: 22,015
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb33 View Post

+1 This machine rocks.

I agree.

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
joerod is offline  
post #471 of 6386 Old 05-23-2009, 10:01 PM
Member
 
Rino13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb33 View Post

+1 This machine rocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post

Within the past few days of usage, I really like the 320 and I haven't had a single playback problem. I like using the professional picture mode, it makes the picture quality more natural with vibrant color along with deeper blacks. I'd recommend this player over the blu-ray players within the same price range due to its dvd performance, top notch HD pq, excellent analog audio, and excellent build quality in its price range.

I am really loving my 23fd so far also. PQ to my eyes seems a little better then the 51fd I had.
Rino13 is offline  
post #472 of 6386 Old 05-23-2009, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kemitchell's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rino13 View Post

PQ to my eyes seems a little better then the 51fd I had.

Really? With BD or SD, and what discs have you tried?

~kyle
kemitchell is offline  
post #473 of 6386 Old 05-23-2009, 10:59 PM
cwt
AVS Special Member
 
cwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: nsw australia
Posts: 1,221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I agree.

Just to clarify one thing Joe for those considering the 320 or 51 ; the preliminary manual for the 320 I read lists delays for the multi analog outs bass management ; does it have these ?

The 51 is getting the 50/80hz etc x over settings next firmware but the delays were conspicuosly absent
cwt is offline  
post #474 of 6386 Old 05-24-2009, 01:33 AM
Member
 
danoeltico's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: RDU NC
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

If you have a chance, please time normal operations (ie power on, disc load times, hitting eject when cold, etc). Thanks!

Set up wasn't too bad, but took me a while to get everything dialed in. I've calibrated my speaker output levels previously with a sound meter, so I didn't touch the sound levels really at all, but did take a listen during the initial setup process.

Dark Night BD Load Times:
42 seconds to FBI Warning
55 seconds to WB Intro screen
76 seconds to start of movie

Matrix SD DVD load time:
31 seconds (repeated twice)

CD load time: Buena Vista Social Club 18 seconds

I don't have any cold eject or power on times...I'll get those tomorrow. I've had it one since I got home with it so over 12.5 hours now. The unit isn't even warm to the touch after being on for that long.

My PRO-1150HD hasn't been ISF calibrated, but I've taken D-Nice's settings for the TV, and have used the THX calibration setup from Finding Nemo on both units BDP-23FD and my Samsung to make sure they are on the same page.

I've been running my Samsung DVD-HD841 (which is a 5 year old up scaling DVD player) through component (Transparent Reference Video) cables to my Pro-1150HD in native 480i and have been pretty happy with the PQ, but have felt like I could do better with SD DVD and CD playback. My SD DVD thoughts are still up in the air, but after 3 hours of watching only a few chapters from Finding Nemo it is still a toss up as to which is better. My eyes are telling me that there appears to be more detail in the native resolution image from my Samsung then from the Pioneer, while the black levels seem to be much better on the Pioneer (connected directly to the display with Transparent High Performance HDMI cable). I plan on trying to try mess with the settings more on the BDP-23FD to optimize the picture.

I rented a few BD from Blockbuster (300, Dark Knight, Casino Royal) and only really watched through the Dark Knight. I've never owned a BDP so I don't really have the ability to perform any comparison to other players, but the PQ seems pretty good as you would expect.

CD playback so far has been much better then anything I've heard on my Samsung, with pretty good depth and spacing. I plan on doing a lot more listening on Monday, so I'll add some more comments then. I did take some time to listen to parts of Diana Krall's Christmas songs, Winter Wonderland and the bass sounded very clean. Allison Kraus Loneliness Runs Both Ways was very nice with good depth and a broad sound field. And Miles Davis's Kind of Blue reminded me why I purchased me Vandersteen 2CE's in the first place. So far I'm real happy with the CD playback.

Love my BDP-09!
danoeltico is offline  
post #475 of 6386 Old 05-24-2009, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Now we need an AV junkie to compare the 32FD to the oppo and to the 320 itself. After nearly a month with the 320, I have had trouble free operation. It seems Pioneer successfully worked a lot of the bugs out of the 51 in their second generation (in-house) model. With a faster loading firmware update, this player would give a lot of more expensive players a run for their money.
winston9332 is offline  
post #476 of 6386 Old 05-24-2009, 07:16 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
joerod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: MIDWEST (just outside Chicago)
Posts: 22,015
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Now we need an AV junkie to compare the 32FD to the oppo and to the 320 itself. After nearly a month with the 320, I have had trouble free operation. It seems Pioneer successfully worked a lot of the bugs out of the 51 in their second generation (in-house) model. With a faster loading firmware update, this player would give a lot of more expensive players a run for their money.

Already ahead of you.

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
joerod is offline  
post #477 of 6386 Old 05-24-2009, 07:19 AM
Member
 
Rino13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemitchell View Post

Really? With BD or SD, and what discs have you tried?

Have not tried any sd (dont really watch any DVDs anymore) but BDs I tried are Troy, Kindom of Heaven, Underworld, Dark knight
Rino13 is offline  
post #478 of 6386 Old 05-24-2009, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Already ahead of you.

joerod, are you testing the 23FD and the 320? Initial impressions?
winston9332 is offline  
post #479 of 6386 Old 05-24-2009, 07:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Q of BanditZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: blurayoasis.com
Posts: 15,242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb33 View Post

+1 This machine rocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I agree.

Interesting.

Considering the plethora of gear you test and go through Joe...that's some high praise right there.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
Q of BanditZ is offline  
post #480 of 6386 Old 05-24-2009, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
kemitchell's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rino13 View Post

Have not tried any sd (dont really watch any DVDs anymore) but BDs I tried are Troy, Kindom of Heaven, Underworld, Dark knight

Thanks.

I would have assumed that BD playback over HDMI with the same settings would have been identical between the two players. Wonder what the 23 does that's different?

~kyle
kemitchell is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off