post #6061 of 6393 Old 04-24-2012, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

I clean every rental, whether it looks like it needs it or not, with some lense cleaner and a microfiber cloth (this was recommended on page 1, post #7 of the 51/05 thread).

I usually clean discs with lense cleaner and wipe it gently with a dry soft tissue or toilet paper... is that ok?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6062 of 6393 Old 04-24-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by oppopioneer View Post

I usually clean discs with lense cleaner and wipe it gently with a dry soft tissue or toilet paper... is that ok?

Wood based products (paper, tissue, etc) can scratch, but I would think this would be less of an issue for BDs with their hardcoat. DVDs, however, are a softer material.

Microfibre won't scratch either BDs or DVDs so I feel more comfortable using it.

post #6063 of 6393 Old 04-25-2012, 12:23 PM

I just burned a DVD-R from my computer and it will not play in the BDP-320. It will play in my computer. I get message "DVD-R cannot play disc". Anyone know why? I tried to burn a DVD+R and got the same results. It will not play on the BDP-320. By the way the new update 3.73 was just put up on the website today.
post #6064 of 6393 Old 04-25-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Some brands of DVD-R will not work in certain players. I think it's kind of hit or miss. U don't know why this is.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #6065 of 6393 Old 04-25-2012, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks the the US site has v3.73 available now.

I downloaded it to my computer, but at this point I usually don't update the player unless I'm have a problem or I read some feedback on the stability of the latest update (don't want any new bugs that I think are worse than the old ones).

post #6066 of 6393 Old 04-25-2012, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I downloaded it, but at this point I usually don't update the player unless I'm have a problem or I read some feedback on the stability of the latest update (don't want any new bugs that I think are worse than the old ones).

I downloaded it from the European website and installed it. My 320 runs without any noticeable difference.

post #6067 of 6393 Old 04-26-2012, 04:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Before anyone asks, I compared the files (BDP30A_V373.ZIP) from European and US sites, and they are bit for bit identical, as usual.

Dan.
post #6068 of 6393 Old 04-27-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

Some brands of DVD-R will not work in certain players. I think it's kind of hit or miss. U don't know why this is.

I tried -R and +R and neither would play burning with the Roxio VHS to DVD 3 Plus. I then burned the DVD from the computer and it worked using the Windows DVD Maker. So it looks like the Roxio was only durning a data DVD and not a DVD-Video DVD.
post #6069 of 6393 Old 04-27-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:

Thanks for letting us know. I downloaded this update, burned it to disc as per instructions, and installed it on my US-spec 320. Installation went fine, player works fine. What specific discs it was aimed at, I don't know, of course...

I watched Mission Impossible:Ghost Protocol (BR rented from Red Box) fine last night on my 23FD (FW 3.71). Today I rented Darkest Hour (BR from the same Red Box) and the menu was black, previews played fine. I updated to 3.73 and the issue is fixed

So add Darkest Hour to the list of discs it corrected... not sure why MI:GP didn't have the same issue.

Very happy with this player and with FW updates!
post #6070 of 6393 Old 05-02-2012, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by info_dan View Post

Looks like Pioneer is proving you wrong... A 3.73 firmware was made available this week on the European site (http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/support/so...X52/index.html). It will probably take a little while before it's on the U.S. site, as usual, but it should get there. I haven't checked if it's available for download through the player. Change history only says the usual, "Enhances stability of BD-ROM/DVD-Video playback".

Dan.

I will order the disc, thanks. I'm happy to be proven wrong many times over if it means Pioneer truly does deliver on "Enhances stability of BD-ROM/DVD-Video playback". Hell I know people that have low dollar Sammys, LGs and Magnavox kits more stable than the 23FD. And the time-span between this and the last release was significantly long, so let's hope they applied some serious brain jelly to actually improving stability this go around.. More of the same just won't do...
post #6071 of 6393 Old 05-03-2012, 03:40 AM
Advanced Member

The 3.73 update is also now available for download by the player through the internet, so if you can connect it, you can download it directly, no need to order a disc.

I would not get my hopes up too much, though, this update is probably just a minor tweak for some specific titles. I don't expect it to radically change your experience with rented discs.

I never had a major issue with my 23FD, but on the other hand, I don't rent.

Dan.
post #6072 of 6393 Old 05-04-2012, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Netflix copy of Contagion, which looked clean and unscratched, got stuck at "Loading..."

The disc played without incident on my Samsung player. Anybody else have this happen?

post #6073 of 6393 Old 05-04-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

^^
PS I have the 3.73 update installed.

post #6074 of 6393 Old 05-05-2012, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Just picked up a used BDP-23FD and am curious to see its PQ. It certainly is a nice looking unit. This will go in my main room with a Panasonic 320 which has a the streaming features and 3D. It actually has a very good picture but wanted something better built and will use the Pioneer as my main unit. Just can't get my head around these new tiny players, they look like toys.

I hope this is not one of those models made by Sharp? Is this unit made by Pioneer?
post #6075 of 6393 Old 05-05-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

Just picked up a used BDP-23FD and am curious to see its PQ. It certainly is a nice looking unit. This will go in my main room with a Panasonic 320 which has a the streaming features and 3D. It actually has a very good picture but wanted something better built and will use the Pioneer as my main unit. Just can't get my head around these new tiny players, they look like toys.

I hope this is not one of those models made by Sharp? Is this unit made by Pioneer?

As I understand it the 320 and 23 were the last manufactured by Pioneer.

post #6076 of 6393 Old 05-05-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As I understand it the 320 and 23 were the last manufactured by Pioneer.

Thats good to know, I was hoping that was the case. Have they now gone back to building their own units?
post #6077 of 6393 Old 05-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I have a 320 and it is an excellent player, however, the load time is going to seem like an eternity compared to your Panasonic, patience my friend.

post #6078 of 6393 Old 05-07-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

..... Have they now gone back to building their own units?

My understanding is they have not returned to building their own units; they contract manufacturing out to another company (in China I believe, don't remember the name).

post #6079 of 6393 Old 05-07-2012, 07:36 AM

Hey Guys,

I justt picked up a BDP-23FD used to pair with my VXS-23TXH receiver and am running into a couple of issues.

I am not really a audio/setup expert but wanted to see if anyone might have some ideas.

First off the audio is displaying as PCM as opposed DD True HD or DTS-HD on the receiver. Can this player not bistream the audio jsut like the fat PS3 which I bought this to replace?

Also it seems that with this player my subs do not kick on when movies start. They are set to auto and with the PS3 they would always switch on when movies started.

Any ideas would be helpful

Thanks,
Justin
post #6080 of 6393 Old 05-07-2012, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

There is no difference you can hear between bit streaming and sending PCM. In either case your AVR's DAC is at work. The signal that gets decoded to analog is the same either way.

Concerning your subs, if you are connecting the player to your AVR via HDMI, the player is doing nothing to the volume levels of your audio. The solution to this problem lies in your AVR or sub's settings.

post #6081 of 6393 Old 05-07-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:

There is no difference you can hear between bit streaming and sending PCM. In either case your AVR's DAC is at work. The signal that gets decoded to analog is the same either way.

Concerning your subs, if you are connecting the player to your AVR via HDMI, the player is doing nothing to the volume levels of your audio. The solution to this problem lies in your AVR or sub's settings.

Thanks, I understood there isn't a diffrence sound wise when it displays PCM just curious why it didn't show at TRUE HD.

I am connecting via HDMI, all I did was swap out the players and now the subs won't come on. On another forum a user said switching to bit-stream would solve the problem?
post #6082 of 6393 Old 05-07-2012, 01:07 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I downloaded it to my computer, but at this point I usually don't update the player unless I'm have a problem or I read some feedback on the stability of the latest update (don't want any new bugs that I think are worse than the old ones).

I hear you. But there's usually some new patch or fix on every update that may or may not apply to you.

A friend owns the 23FD, which he recently purchased on eBay. As I am a former Pioneer Elite AVR and BD owner, he called and asked if I knew why the player wouldn't recognize the blu ray disc for the movie, Drive. After running through the basics with no success, I told him to check the Pioneer website for a firmware update. Sure enough, one was just released during the last week of April. After downloading and running the update disc, the movie worked just fine.
post #6083 of 6393 Old 05-07-2012, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTang05 View Post

Thanks, I understood there isn't a diffrence sound wise when it displays PCM just curious why it didn't show at TRUE HD.

Check the player's internal audio settings. If menu sounds and "secondary audio" are enabled, then the player has to decode the HD audio internally to PCM in order to mix them in. If you want the player to bitstream, so the AVR's HD lights to come on, you'll have to disable that mixing. (Sorry, I can't get my browser to download the manual from Pioneer, so I don't know the actual menu item.)

Quote:

I am connecting via HDMI, all I did was swap out the players and now the subs won't come on. On another forum a user said switching to bit-stream would solve the problem?

I would not expect PCM vs HD audio to make any difference in whether a subwoofer is active. (It doesn't with any of the BD players that I have, although I don't have this particular model.) I'd double check the AVR settings and output cables. Maybe you bumped the sub connections while exchanging HDMI cables. If you have normal crossover settings, the subs should at least be getting low frequencies that have been redirected from the surround channels.

What discs have you tried? Don't forget that most multichannel music discs have no LFE track -- they don't include any explosions

Selden
post #6084 of 6393 Old 05-07-2012, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Good to see some activity on this thread again. I just bought the 23FD (used on ebay) and it will be my second Blu-ray player to be used in another room.
My main one is an Oppo 93 and although I like the Oppo I am not in love with it.
If I have any questions I can come to this thread.
I wouldn't be surprised if the 23FD has as good a PQ as my Oppo.
post #6085 of 6393 Old 05-07-2012, 04:39 PM

I was able to get my audio issues straightened out and am now outputting HD audio with it displaying on the receiver, can tell a huge difference.

I'm still having issues with the subs, they are not kicking on during movie playback (sub power is set to auto).

I have the speaker all set to small and the subwoofer set to yes, crossover at 80.

The LFE light flashes on the screen but subs never kick on, seemed to always kick on when I had PS3 as player but now with the pioneer I get nothing.

Any ideas???

Thanks
post #6086 of 6393 Old 05-07-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Check the player's internal audio settings. If menu sounds and "secondary audio" are enabled, then the player has to decode the HD audio internally to PCM in order to mix them in. If you want the player to bitstream, so the AVR's HD lights to come on, you'll have to disable that mixing. (Sorry, I can't get my browser to download the manual from Pioneer, so I don't know the actual menu item.)

I would not expect PCM vs HD audio to make any difference in whether a subwoofer is active. (It doesn't with any of the BD players that I have, although I don't have this particular model.) I'd double check the AVR settings and output cables. Maybe you bumped the sub connections while exchanging HDMI cables. If you have normal crossover settings, the subs should at least be getting low frequencies that have been redirected from the surround channels.

What discs have you tried? Don't forget that most multichannel music discs have no LFE track -- they don't include any explosions

I just played Days of Thunder, still no action from the sub. Would think I would at least get something with this movie during the race scenes?
post #6087 of 6393 Old 05-08-2012, 03:48 AM
Advanced Member

Does the sub come on when playing audio from another source?

When you connected the player, did you disconnect and reconnect other connections? A mistake that is more common than we'd like to admit is to connect the subwoofer to the "multi-ch in" instead of the "PRE OUT". Make sure you double-check that.

Dan.
post #6088 of 6393 Old 05-08-2012, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by info_dan View Post

Does the sub come on when playing audio from another source?

When you connected the player, did you disconnect and reconnect other connections? A mistake that is more common than we'd like to admit is to connect the subwoofer to the "multi-ch in" instead of the "PRE OUT". Make sure you double-check that.

Dan.

Nope, only thing I did was unhook the PS3 and swapped it with the Pioneer, that's why I'm stumped on why the subs use to kick on with the PS3 and now I get nothing with the Pioneer. I watched The Incredible Hulk last night and during whole movie subs never played???
post #6089 of 6393 Old 05-08-2012, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 384
JTang,

Do you have any other devices (analog or digital) connected to the AVR which would exercise the subwoofer output? If you don't have other sources, you might try connecting the player's analog audio outputs to see if they can cause subwoofer activity. If they don't, then the problem is in the receiver.

I also suggest running MCACC and/or the manual speaker setup again, just to make sure that the receiver's sub output is still working with test tones.

Another worry is that HDMI circuitry in general is extremely fragile. Swapping connections while power is still on has been known to damage it, for example, although I'd expect that to affect video, too, not just the low audio frequencies.

Selden
post #6090 of 6393 Old 05-08-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

JTang,

Do you have any other devices (analog or digital) connected to the AVR which would exercise the subwoofer output? If you don't have other sources, you might try connecting the player's analog audio outputs to see if they can cause subwoofer activity. If they don't, then the problem is in the receiver.

I also suggest running MCACC and/or the manual speaker setup again, just to make sure that the receiver's sub output is still working with test tones.

Another worry is that HDMI circuitry in general is extremely fragile. Swapping connections while power is still on has been known to damage it, for example, although I'd expect that to affect video, too, not just the low audio frequencies.

Only other thing would be an hdmi cable going into anotehr input for my cable blox, don't have anything else connected audio wise.

I plan on rerunning MCACC again and see if that will hopefully do the trick.

Ya HDMI inputs seems to be funky at times, but audio/picture works great jsut no signal going to the subs.

I did notice on the back of my sub it has a low pass filter knob, would this need to be set to 80 hz as well?
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page