1Likes

post #6361 of 6390 Old 09-22-2013, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 89
^^
Never any problem with my 320. It's in a box waiting for me to sell it (got an Oppo), but it works as well as it did new.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6362 of 6390 Old 09-23-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I decided to switch to one of my handheld Blu-ray players with the MediaTek CPU because of the Pioneer BDP-23FD's frustrating delay when resuming normal playback after fast-forwarding or rewinding. I still love everything else about the player, but sometimes, that just annoys the hell out of me!
post #6363 of 6390 Old 09-23-2013, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony9 View Post

Hello once again ........ its been yrs (?) since I've had to search AVS for any help-info.

My BDP-320 player ........ I've not used this machine in 2-3 months. Last night I attempted to play a Blu Ray disc, but my Pio receiver wasn't detecting the HDMI signal from the player. I tried going directly to my KRP monitor - no luck with the HDMI signal directly from the player TO the monitor. YES I tried a different HDMI cable as well. I took the player upstairs (easier access) and connected the BDP-320 to my 5020 flat panel with both an HDMI and a standard RCA video cable. The side HDMI (input 7) did NOT detect a signal, the VIDEO 3 input did produce the picture of the disc playing (Band of Brothers).

I've had no problems w this player. I did noticed the firmware currently on the machine is 3.65.

Obviously the newest update is 3.73

I'll call Pio CS on Monday and order a disc w the update. I do not have a disc reader/burner on my Mac Mini. I'll continue to search online for any info concerning HDMI issues, I'll also inquire w Pioneer on Monday.

Has anyone had any issues with the HDMI output on their BDP-320 machine ???? Any feedback is appreciated, thanks once again to the forum members for all of your help in years past.

ps ....... STLL enjoying my KRP 500 & 5020 flat panels ....... gorgeous PQ !!

Firmware update: If you can connect the player to the internet, you could update that way.

HDMI output: If you have output on RCA but not on HDMI you might have simply hit the "Video Select" button on your remote by accident. This button switches the video output signal between HDMI and analog output (Component or video terminals).

In the BDP-23FD manual, this is described on page 22, "Switching the video output terminal to be viewed".

Hope this helps!

Dan
post #6364 of 6390 Old 09-23-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
.. good-day Big C,

great to see your a/r the Forum : )

you had assisted me in past on a FW update queston regarding a (older) standard Pioneer
player to allow Region 2 play.

does the 23FD allow Region 2 play (or) is there a FW hack that would open R2 play ??

Thanx much for any help.
post #6365 of 6390 Old 09-23-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by info_dan View Post

Firmware update: If you can connect the player to the internet, you could update that way.

HDMI output: If you have output on RCA but not on HDMI you might have simply hit the "Video Select" button on your remote by accident. This button switches the video output signal between HDMI and analog output (Component or video terminals).

In the BDP-23FD manual, this is described on page 22, "Switching the video output terminal to be viewed".

Hope this helps!

Dan

Thanks Dan for reply.... I called Pioneer in CA. I was told my update disc will be here within 7 days. I don't have a laptop, just my Mac Mini. I do not connect my AV system to the internet. I have my HDMI settings on AUTO.

Page 46 of the manual has info to reset the machine to FACTORY SETTINGS, hold down the stop button then compress the on/off button simultaneously.

And I did...... the 320 was running to my 5020 via RCA video cable and thru input 7 on the side (HDMI). Both inputs produced a picture !!! I have my HDMI signal output once again (easy).

Thanks again, feel free to clarify or offer any remarks.
post #6366 of 6390 Old 09-24-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel'son View Post

.. good-day Big C,

great to see your a/r the Forum : )

you had assisted me in past on a FW update queston regarding a (older) standard Pioneer
player to allow Region 2 play.

does the 23FD allow Region 2 play (or) is there a FW hack that would open R2 play ??

Thanx much for any help.
You need the template for Pioneer service remote GGF1381. Using the service remote, change the model number to a European model. Then, send that famous IR signal for the Pioneer DVD region-free IR hack. Finally, use the service remote to change back to the US model. For better details, se the details on how to make the BDP-51FD multi-region on http://www.pioneerfaq.info . This will only make the DVD section multi-region, not the Blu-ray section. However, most Blu-ray players don't even have a hack for the DVD section! Pioneer and Philips are the only Blu-ray players I'm aware of whose US models' DVD sections can be made multi-region via IR. The Philips and Pioneer Blu-ray players don't convert Pal to NTSC. However, every LCD HDTV I've used accepts and displays native 576i at 50Hz (Pal video) without any issues. It's as though you're living in Europe watching TV there.
post #6367 of 6390 Old 09-24-2013, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Much thanks Big C,

I'll look into that process .. would like to have multi-region on 23FD, but have other player you helped-on as option.

Thanks again .. take care. : )
post #6368 of 6390 Old 09-25-2013, 06:32 AM

Liked: 36
Thanks! for sharing all.
post #6369 of 6390 Old 10-08-2013, 07:43 PM

Firmware update 3.74 is now on the Pioneer USA website.
post #6370 of 6390 Old 10-09-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

^^ ... fwiw Change History:

Ver 3.74
- Enhances playback compatibility with certain BD-ROM discs

BDP30A_V374 (97.8 Mb)
post #6371 of 6390 Old 10-09-2013, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Ross View Post

Firmware update 3.74 is now on the Pioneer USA website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel'son View Post

^^ ... fwiw Change History:

Ver 3.74
- Enhances playback compatibility with certain BD-ROM discs

BDP30A_V374 (97.8 Mb)

Thanks for the info. smile.gif

It's been so long since the 3.74 was released on the EU site I was beginning to wonder if we would see it on the US site.

post #6372 of 6390 Old 11-01-2013, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Have any of you downloaded the 3.74 firmware update and noticed any differences in performance? What's it suppose to do?
post #6373 of 6390 Old 11-02-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by oppopioneer View Post

Have any of you downloaded the 3.74 firmware update and noticed any differences in performance? What's it suppose to do?

I don't notice any performance differences. I believe 3.74 was just for compatibilty with some new releases ( just my guess). I doubt we'll see any performance enhancements given the payers age.

post #6374 of 6390 Old 11-10-2013, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I just got the Sony release of Total Recall and it played in the 320 with out any audio drop outs. I got some occasional drop outs using my OPPO BDP 83 and a severe amount of drop outs using my LG BH 200. Has anybody tried this movie in the 320 before the current update? I am wondering if one of the fixes was for this issue as the audio drop outs are happening with certain Disney titles also.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #6375 of 6390 Old 11-13-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

I don't notice any performance differences. I believe 3.74 was just for compatibilty with some new releases ( just my guess). I doubt we'll see any performance enhancements given the payers age.

I updated my bdp 320 to 3.74 and I was able to play the Fox film French Kiss for the first time. It seems my problems always center around Fox films but Pioneer 'eventually' provides us with a firmware update. Performance seems the same-meaning it's good.
post #6376 of 6390 Old 11-15-2013, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post

I just got the Sony release of Total Recall and it played in the 320 with out any audio drop outs. I got some occasional drop outs using my OPPO BDP 83 and a severe amount of drop outs using my LG BH 200. Has anybody tried this movie in the 320 before the current update? I am wondering if one of the fixes was for this issue as the audio drop outs are happening with certain Disney titles also.

I brought home my trusty 320 that I use for two channel at work. It has v3.73 so I figured I could test it bitsreaming Total Recall and Monsters University. Played a good portion of each with absolutely no dropouts. Same with my BDP-62 with the CFW. My Oppo BDP-83 had a dropout with in about ten minutes. I don't think the new update did anything for the dropouts since both movies played perfect. Even so I updated the 320 to 3.74 because I like to keep my players up to date and I have not heard any of the bad news that came along with the 2.12 firmware for my BDP-62. OK now I'm just going to say it. After watching these movies back to back on the three players I can say that there is just something a little extra on the screen with the Oppo that isn't there on the other two. Maybe it is all in my head but that's all that matters to me in my HT. tongue.gif

post #6377 of 6390 Old 11-16-2013, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bguzman View Post

I brought home my trusty 320 that I use for two channel at work. It has v3.73 so I figured I could test it bitsreaming Total Recall and Monsters University. Played a good portion of each with absolutely no dropouts. Same with my BDP-62 with the CFW. My Oppo BDP-83 had a dropout with in about ten minutes. I don't think the new update did anything for the dropouts since both movies played perfect. Even so I updated the 320 to 3.74 because I like to keep my players up to date and I have not heard any of the bad news that came along with the 2.12 firmware for my BDP-62. OK now I'm just going to say it. After watching these movies back to back on the three players I can say that there is just something a little extra on the screen with the Oppo that isn't there on the other two. Maybe it is all in my head but that's all that matters to me in my HT. tongue.gif

Thanks for the report. I applied the update before I tried Total Recall so I had no way of knowing if the update was to fix this issue. This tells me that it may have something to do with what chip set is used in the players. The LG and OPPO have special up conversion chips and the Pioneer does not.

With Bluray playback I would say the three players I have are relatively the same but when it comes to upconverting SD DVDs the OPPO is the clear winner with the LG BH 200, using QDEO, a close second. What makes the OPPO the best player is I can adjust the settings on the fly. You do not have to stop playback of the movie to enter the OPPOs set up menu.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #6378 of 6390 Old 01-26-2014, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I just put my Pioneer BDP-320 up for sale:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1514300/pioneer-bdp-320-blu-ray-disc-player-excellent-condition/0_50

post #6379 of 6390 Old 02-02-2014, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Bump. This is going on eBay if it doesn't sell today.

post #6380 of 6390 Old 03-13-2014, 07:12 AM

Liked: 19
Has anyone tested the sound differences between the Analog and HDMI out?
post #6381 of 6390 Old 03-13-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidoroboo View Post

Has anyone tested the sound differences between the Analog and HDMI out?

It would depend on what you are testing the analog against (quality of AVR or PrePro). In my various setups over the years my AVR or PrePro has always exceeded the Pioneer. The beauty of the Pioneer is that it supports multi-channel analog if you have an AVR or PrePro that doesn't support high resolution audio over HDMI, but has external inputs for analog.smile.gif

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #6382 of 6390 Old 03-13-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

It would depend on what you are testing the analog against (quality of AVR or PrePro). In my various setups over the years my AVR or PrePro has always exceeded the Pioneer. The beauty of the Pioneer is that it supports multi-channel analog if you have an AVR or PrePro that doesn't support high resolution audio over HDMI, but has external inputs for analog.smile.gif

Yeah, my current AVR doesn't have HDMI so I have been using the 320 for HD audio processing.

I guess my real question is there a sonic difference between my 320 decoding and outputting PCM vs analog.
post #6383 of 6390 Old 03-13-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidoroboo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

Yeah, my current AVR doesn't have HDMI so I have been using the 320 for HD audio processing.

I guess my real question is there a sonic difference between my 320 decoding and outputting PCM vs analog.

Some people claim to be able to hear a difference. Others don't. In principle there are enough differences between the two audio data paths, both in the player and in the receiver, that there could be a difference, but only you can determine if that's actually the case with your system.

The two largest factors in audio quality are your speakers and your room's acoustics. Electronics is a far distant third, although the automated room EQ provided by many modern receivers usually can make up for some of the speaker and room infelicities.

Selden
post #6384 of 6390 Old 03-13-2014, 05:19 PM

That's what I was thinking. Probably with my system there won't be any difference. Thanks.
post #6385 of 6390 Old 05-02-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Hello. Just visiting. I am able to watch movies at my house again. I have my BDP-23FD connected via HDMI to my VSX-32. I even upgraded the audio from 5.1 to 7.1 (actually, 7.0). I notice that my speakers are so good that they don't really need the assistance of the subwoofer. Sometimes, I think the subwoofer messes up directionality. For example, if an LFE track is supposed to enhance a rear speaker, then having the bass frequencies routed to the sub also makes the sound come from wherever you placed you subwoofer. As long as I like the bass that comes from my speakers, I currently have my subwoofer turned off. As far as the 23FD, I really appreciate Source Direct. I prefer to display whatever is on the discs. It helps reduce artifacts and distinguishes my DVDs from my Blu-rays. I do miss SACD, but I'm hoping that America gets one of the 2014 BD players with DSD-to-PCM at 176.4 KHz and PQLS. Then I'll be able to get something with SACD, PQLS, Source Direct, and faster loading speeds!
post #6386 of 6390 Old 07-14-2014, 12:23 PM

I wasn't able to play the Canadian Blue-ray version of "Man In Black 3" (Sony/Columbia), so I just updated my BDP-320 to 3.74 and it plays without issues after the update.
post #6387 of 6390 Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM

Liked: 0
Bluray indicator light?

Hi guys, I'm new to the 23fd- mine seems to show half white half blue light under the tray (white being on the left looking at it). Is that right? The pictures show blue... with maybe white in the middle. Do I have a light out? What could it be? Thanks!
post #6388 of 6390 Old Today, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 331
It should be blue-whie-blue. One of the LED being dead is a very common occurrence with this player.
Ilbisonte likes this.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #6389 of 6390 Old Today, 02:36 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post
It should be blue-whie-blue. One of the LED being dead is a very common occurrence with this player.
Thanks for the reply. I'd rather not go through returning and rebuying it since I got a good deal- can I fix it easily / cheaply?
post #6390 of 6390 Old Today, 03:15 PM

Now I'm curious too.

Can somebody post a picture of their 23FD to see how the bluray indicator lights up?

Thanks

Edmundo
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page