post #6391 of 6405 Old 08-01-2014, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilbisonte View Post
Thanks for the reply. I'd rather not go through returning and rebuying it since I got a good deal- can I fix it easily / cheaply?
I'm a cheap bastard. Instead of fixing the dead LED, I cut off the leg of the other blue LED, so now I only have the white LED light up

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6392 of 6405 Old 08-27-2014, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help! BDP-23FD Control Startup?

Hi I have a 111FD, SC-77 and BDP-23FD

How is everyone's BDP-23FD function with Kuro Link or SR? Mine seems unable to turn on without pressing the front panel's power button or BD Player's remote power button.

-the Kuro's HDMI Control Setting Power On Test works for the 23FD and receiver
-all control via hdmi controls work when it is on
-power down from my tv to receiver to my bdp23fd works

But the 23 just won't turn on when I power up the tv. Pioneer support confirmed the problem on their end. Then techs sent out a bulletin saying that if "hold sound status is off" then it will power on. That didn't work for me and actually makes it so the receiver doesn't power on automatically either because the sound status of the TV is by default on the TV speakers.

I connected a 3.5mm mono plug to the SR Control out on the Kuro to the 23FD and that didn't do anything.

I connected the cable then from the BD player to the IR out on the SC-77. The receiver has an SR logo on the front face but no SR out / in on the back, so I figure this is the port. No change.

There is no way both the HDMI startup and the SR startup are bad. What am I missing here? What is everyone else's experience like?
post #6393 of 6405 Old 08-27-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Personally I found it a bit flaky with my 320/Kuro 151 combo, so I have it turned off. It's no big deal for me to power on the 320 and 151 separately.
post #6394 of 6405 Old 11-09-2014, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

My 320 seems to be becoming less reliable with less than perfect rental BDs (stutters or outright freezes and becomes unresponsive). I thought about trying to clean the laser (I've never done so since buying it about 4-5 years ago) to see if that helps. What's the best way to do so? Cleaning disc? Open up the drive and manually clean the laser head?

Maybe I can use this as an excuse to replace it with an Oppo, though the thought of dropping $500 (or more if I go region free) has me real hesitant.
post #6395 of 6405 Old 11-09-2014, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post
My 320 seems to be becoming less reliable with less than perfect rental BDs (stutters or outright freezes and becomes unresponsive). I thought about trying to clean the laser (I've never done so since buying it about 4-5 years ago) to see if that helps. What's the best way to do so? Cleaning disc? Open up the drive and manually clean the laser head?

Maybe I can use this as an excuse to replace it with an Oppo, though the thought of dropping $500 (or more if I go region free) has me real hesitant.
Always better to manually clean if you are able.

post #6396 of 6405 Old 11-10-2014, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguzman View Post
Always better to manually clean if you are able.
Do you know where I can find directions on how to open it up to clean it?
post #6397 of 6405 Old 11-10-2014, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Do you know where I can find directions on how to open it up to clean it?
I lookwd around the web but could not find anything. I haven't taken my 320 apart but I have taken other players apart for various reasons and generally it is pretty straight forward once the cover is off. There are just a few screws that attach the cover. Once you get that far if you have a problem snap a picture and someone here should be able to guide you further.

post #6398 of 6405 Old 11-10-2014, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

This is the current topic of conversation in the OPPO BDP 83 thread. The general consensus is to manually clean the lens with a Q Tip and alcohol.
Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only]

My 320 is still going and is getting some extra use lately as there is newer discs that will not play in the OPPO but play in the 320.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #6399 of 6405 Old 11-10-2014, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguzman View Post
I lookwd around the web but could not find anything. I haven't taken my 320 apart but I have taken other players apart for various reasons and generally it is pretty straight forward once the cover is off. There are just a few screws that attach the cover. Once you get that far if you have a problem snap a picture and someone here should be able to guide you further.
Yeah, I didn't find anything either. I guess I'll just dig in and see what I find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post
This is the current topic of conversation in the OPPO BDP 83 thread. The general consensus is to manually clean the lens with a Q Tip and alcohol.
Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only]

My 320 is still going and is getting some extra use lately as there is newer discs that will not play in the OPPO but play in the 320.
You have discs that won't play in the Oppo but will in the 320? That's not very encouraging. I'd rather not have to have 2 BD players in the rack if at all possible.

I'm curious, which titles gave the Oppo trouble?
post #6400 of 6405 Old 11-11-2014, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yeah, I didn't find anything either. I guess I'll just dig in and see what I find.

You have discs that won't play in the Oppo but will in the 320? That's not very encouraging. I'd rather not have to have 2 BD players in the rack if at all possible.

I'm curious, which titles gave the Oppo trouble?

Jurassic Park, Total Recall, Monster University have audio issues. You have to switch the OPPO to output LPCM. My LG BH200 has the same issue. The 320 has no issues at all with these titles.
There is complaints that Transformers 4 and other new titles that do not play at all on the OPPO BDP83. OPPO is claiming that the studios are not adhering to the Blu ray specs and the MediaTek chip in the OPPO is to strict with the standard. As far as I know OPPO and MediaTek are looking into this.

I am finding that the 320 was one of the best Blu ray players I have bought so far. This includes HD DVD also. I did have issues with some Fox titles a few years ago but Pioneer fixed that with a firmware update. My OPPO had the same problems but they were much slower with a firmware update.

post #6401 of 6405 Old 11-11-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Jurassic Park, Total Recall, Monster University have audio issues. You have to switch the OPPO to output LPCM. My LG BH200 has the same issue. The 320 has no issues at all with these titles.
There is complaints that Transformers 4 and other new titles that do not play at all on the OPPO BDP83. OPPO is claiming that the studios are not adhering to the Blu ray specs and the MediaTek chip in the OPPO is to strict with the standard. As far as I know OPPO and MediaTek are looking into this.

I am finding that the 320 was one of the best Blu ray players I have bought so far. This includes HD DVD also. I did have issues with some Fox titles a few years ago but Pioneer fixed that with a firmware update. My OPPO had the same problems but they were much slower with a firmware update.
Wow, I guess I expected Oppo to be more reliable than the 320. Your experience seems to indicate otherwise.

I've never run into audio issues with my 320, but that may be because I'm using the optical output (yes, I know it's lossy) to my older/non-HDMI Anthem AVM20 pre pro. If I buy the Oppo 103 (it would replace both the 320 and my Oppo 980h players) I would use it's multichannel analog outputs to connect to the pre pro. I guess in this case I still wouldn't have the audio problems you mentioned? I'm thinking if a fix hasn't come yet, it's not coming since Jurassic Park has been out for quite some time.

I'm gonna try cleaning my 320 today and see if the Netflix disc I currently have still freezes up.
post #6402 of 6405 Old 11-11-2014, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Wow, I guess I expected Oppo to be more reliable than the 320. Your experience seems to indicate otherwise.

I've never run into audio issues with my 320, but that may be because I'm using the optical output (yes, I know it's lossy) to my older/non-HDMI Anthem AVM20 pre pro. If I buy the Oppo 103 (it would replace both the 320 and my Oppo 980h players) I would use it's multichannel analog outputs to connect to the pre pro. I guess in this case I still wouldn't have the audio problems you mentioned? I'm thinking if a fix hasn't come yet, it's not coming since Jurassic Park has been out for quite some time.

I'm gonna try cleaning my 320 today and see if the Netflix disc I currently have still freezes up.

I think the 103/103D/105/105D are OK as OPPO is using a newer MediaTeK chip. I have the first OPPO Blu ray player which is the 83 series. The only problem going forward is, will these same issues pop up when OPPO releases a newer player.

I am bit streaming with all my players. I do know that those using the analog audio outs do not have the issue with the audio drop outs. Right now the Pioneer is my go to player with problem titles.

The 103/105 use the Marvell QDEO chip and the 103D/105D use Anchor Bay VRS and Darbee. Darbee can be turned off if you do not want to use it.

post #6403 of 6405 Old 11-11-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think the 103/103D/105/105D are OK as OPPO is using a newer MediaTeK chip. I have the first OPPO Blu ray player which is the 83 series. The only problem going forward is, will these same issues pop up when OPPO releases a newer player.

I am bit streaming with all my players. I do know that those using the analog audio outs do not have the issue with the audio drop outs. Right now the Pioneer is my go to player with problem titles.

The 103/105 use the Marvell QDEO chip and the 103D/105D use Anchor Bay VRS and Darbee. Darbee can be turned off if you do not want to use it.
Ah, thanks for the clarification. Looks like if I get the 103 I should keep the 320 as a backup (providing I don't break it trying to clean the lens ).

Btw, other than having trouble lately with less than perfect rental BDs, my 320 has been very reliable and a great performer.
post #6404 of 6405 Old 11-11-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I opened up the 320 and was able to figure out how to get to the lens without too much trouble. It looked pristine in there, even with a magnifying glass. I went ahead and cleaned the lenses with alcohol as suggested.

I tried the problematic Netflix BD again. This time it played through where it froze before, but froze where it played through before. So I'm not sure cleaning had any effect whatsoever......sigh.
post #6405 of 6405 Old 11-11-2014, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ah, thanks for the clarification. Looks like if I get the 103 I should keep the 320 as a backup (providing I don't break it trying to clean the lens ).

Btw, other than having trouble lately with less than perfect rental BDs, my 320 has been very reliable and a great performer.

Definitely hang on to it as long as it works as I find the 320 very reliable. You will like the OPPO as it is a very versatile player. It works good as a media streamer. Check out the 103D as you may like some of the extra features before you spring for the 103.

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page