Pioneer BDP-320/BDP-23FD Owner's Thread - Page 215 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #6421 of 6441 Old 04-22-2015, 04:28 PM
GPM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
??? Replace with what? These players haven't been available for years now.

GM

Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6422 of 6441 Old 04-23-2015, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1307 Post(s)
Liked: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPM View Post

GM
In that case, you probably should consider getting a current model. Sony, Panasonic and Oppo are the brands favored here on AVS. Pioneer and Sharp tend to have relatively limited functionality in comparison.

Selden

Marantz SR7009+MM9000/Atmos 7.1.4 (FH+TM:DefTech PM1000)/LCR+TM amped
post #6423 of 6441 Old 04-23-2015, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 235
If I remember correctly, the newer Pioneers BD players are actually manufactured by Sharp.

ISF Calibrator
Samsung PN64F8500
Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320
Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #6424 of 6441 Old 04-23-2015, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1307 Post(s)
Liked: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid View Post
If I remember correctly, the newer Pioneers BD players are actually manufactured by Sharp.
My Pioneer 120 certainly was. The only difference is the manufacturer's logo. However, my understanding is that the very latest generation of Pioneer's players were back to being their own. I dunno what'll happen with their next generation now that Pioneer's entertainment division is owned by Onkyo.

Selden

Marantz SR7009+MM9000/Atmos 7.1.4 (FH+TM:DefTech PM1000)/LCR+TM amped
post #6425 of 6441 Old 04-23-2015, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPM View Post

GM
Exactly. I bought mine in 2009.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
In that case, you probably should consider getting a current model. Sony, Panasonic and Oppo are the brands favored here on AVS. Pioneer and Sharp tend to have relatively limited functionality in comparison.
I did consider that for a second or two, but it just doesn't feel right. The player is nice. It works with all other titles I've got (as far as I know). And I'm almost sure it's not a hardware problem, but a software problem. What I'm considering more seriously is to buy a USB BD recorder, that would serve multiple purposes, including (hopefully) watching this particular title.

For the record, when I said 'lemon', I was referring to the disc, not the player.

Next step, I think, will be to take the player out of the cabinet, remove the cover, and clean it up.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

VMat

Last edited by VMat; 04-24-2015 at 04:44 AM.
post #6426 of 6441 Old 04-26-2015, 09:33 AM

Update... I decided to try other discs (quite boring to wait for each one to load), and after about 20 tries, I found two other ones that won't play (Seven and Natural Born Killers, which I have watched not so long ago, but in 3.73, I believe). Now I do think it's a hardware issue... I'll try to open the unit and clean it up later today, if I have time.

Interesting, though, is that the Labyrinth + Enemy Of The State phenomenon persists. I reproduced it twice.

Anyway, I just posted this to be fair with you guys that told me it looked like a hardware issue.

Thank you all,

VMat
post #6427 of 6441 Old 04-26-2015, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMat View Post
Update... I decided to try other discs (quite boring to wait for each one to load), and after about 20 tries, I found two other ones that won't play (Seven and Natural Born Killers, which I have watched not so long ago, but in 3.73, I believe). Now I do think it's a hardware issue... I'll try to open the unit and clean it up later today, if I have time.

Interesting, though, is that the Labyrinth + Enemy Of The State phenomenon persists. I reproduced it twice.

Anyway, I just posted this to be fair with you guys that told me it looked like a hardware issue.

Thank you all,

I just tried Enemy of the State and Se7en in my 320 and both titles played fine. I am on 3.74 and I erased persistent storage before I tried each movie. I do have BD Live enabled. I do not have Natural Born Killers or Labyrinth.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #6428 of 6441 Old 04-27-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post
I just tried Enemy of the State and Se7en in my 320 and both titles played fine. I am on 3.74 and I erased persistent storage before I tried each movie. I do have BD Live enabled. I do not have Natural Born Killers or Labyrinth.
Thanks!

Yeah, I've read a few posts on another forum about the BDP-51FD showing the same symptoms as my 320, and it seems that either it's a matter of cleaning the lens, or the drive is probably dying. And it gets progressively worse, until it can't read any more discs. Then I'll end up with a gorgeous, very expensive DVD/CD player.

By the way, the cleaning up didn't go very well. I thought I would open the unit and see the pickup lenses, but inside the player there's actually a SATA reader, enclosed in a metal case, like a computer optical drive. And I was too tired to go through the process of opening that one up. Outside the drive, everything was pretty clean, as if it were brand new.

Has anyone tried to connect a computer SATA drive to the player? I'm wondering if I could try to adapt a regular computer drive in there (for the fun of it).

VMat
post #6429 of 6441 Old 04-27-2015, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks!

Yeah, I've read a few posts on another forum about the BDP-51FD showing the same symptoms as my 320, and it seems that either it's a matter of cleaning the lens, or the drive is probably dying. And it gets progressively worse, until it can't read any more discs. Then I'll end up with a gorgeous, very expensive DVD/CD player.

By the way, the cleaning up didn't go very well. I thought I would open the unit and see the pickup lenses, but inside the player there's actually a SATA reader, enclosed in a metal case, like a computer optical drive. And I was too tired to go through the process of opening that one up. Outside the drive, everything was pretty clean, as if it were brand new.

Has anyone tried to connect a computer SATA drive to the player? I'm wondering if I could try to adapt a regular computer drive in there (for the fun of it).

Your Welcome! I cringe every time I hear some one having issues with these older players. I have the BDP 320, LG BH 200, and the OPPO BDP 83 and all are still working yet. Yes these players are a little slower than newer ones but they do their job. I don't want streaming apps on my players as this prevents the firmware from being rolled back.

I never really given much thought as to what I will buy to replace these units when they fail.

post #6430 of 6441 Old 04-27-2015, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Your Welcome! I cringe every time I hear some one having issues with these older players. I have the BDP 320, LG BH 200, and the OPPO BDP 83 and all are still working yet. Yes these players are a little slower than newer ones but they do their job. I don't want streaming apps on my players as this prevents the firmware from being rolled back.

I never really given much thought as to what I will buy to replace these units when they fail.
I bought a couple of used 320s two years ago which I kept in storage against my 320 in use eventually failing.

Denon X4000: Yamaha AS500;TS500;CDS300: Pioneer BDP62FD;BDP23FD;DV58AV;DV610: Panasonic DMP-BDT500; Sony BDP-S790; Samsung PS60E6500
post #6431 of 6441 Old 04-27-2015, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklion View Post
I bought a couple of used 320s two years ago which I kept in storage against my 320 in use eventually failing.

Smart move. I wish I would have done that as I like the simplicity of these players. Actually these 320 can play the seamless branching titles without audio drop outs that my OPPO BDP 83 can not. I have to use LPCM over HDMI on the OPPO to get stable sound on those titles.

post #6432 of 6441 Old 04-27-2015, 12:03 PM

I'd love to find just one to buy, but here in Brazil, if I could find one, it would probably cost more than a new Samsung or LG, or even a Sony, with 1-year warranty.

I'm not even sure I should try to clean the lens. Maybe it will make things worse than they are now.

VMat
post #6433 of 6441 Old 04-27-2015, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'd love to find just one to buy, but here in Brazil, if I could find one, it would probably cost more than a new Samsung or LG, or even a Sony, with 1-year warranty.

I'm not even sure I should try to clean the lens. Maybe it will make things worse than they are now.

Here is the parts lists for the 320. Unfortunately the part you may need is the drive assembly and it is no longer available. I t wouldn't matter very much if it was available as it is $340.
http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/...delNum=BDP-320
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...layers/BDP-320

post #6434 of 6441 Old 04-27-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Here is the parts lists for the 320. Unfortunately the part you may need is the drive assembly and it is no longer available. I t wouldn't matter very much if it was available as it is $340.
http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/...delNum=BDP-320
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...layers/BDP-320
Right, that's the one.

Right, not worth $340. I'd rather buy a new player.

VMat
post #6435 of 6441 Old 04-27-2015, 03:40 PM

I've just done the thing with Enemy Of The State again. I think I'm gonna tape it next time, because it's almost fun to watch...

VMat
post #6436 of 6441 Old 05-10-2015, 06:10 PM

Hey, I finally mustered up the courage to disassemble the whole thing and clean the lenses with a Lenspen. I also managed to leave two springs behind when putting it back together (and I think I lost one). I hope they are not too important...

Now the player is working again. I re-tested it with some discs that weren't playing before, and I can play them now - even The Wrestler. I hope it stays like that for another 6 years.

Thanks again for all the comments and suggestions!

VMat

Last edited by VMat; 05-10-2015 at 06:57 PM.
post #6437 of 6441 Old 05-10-2015, 06:17 PM
GPM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks for the update! I wonder though if just using an inexpensive BD cleaner system would be sufficient.

GM

Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
post #6438 of 6441 Old 05-11-2015, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 235
The "extra" springs may have been the problem...

ISF Calibrator
Samsung PN64F8500
Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320
Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #6439 of 6441 Old 05-12-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid View Post
The "extra" springs may have been the problem...
Hopefully!

VMat
post #6440 of 6441 Old 06-19-2015, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
BDP-23FD "Unknown Disc"

After loyal years of service, my 23FD has begun to give us problems. I need some help -

First off, is it worth cleaning the laser?
Second - How is the BDP-80? Is it just a Sharp player rebranded, or worth the purchase?
Lastly - is it me, or does the Xbox One sound like crap compared to my BDP-23? We tried watching Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix last night on the XB1 and I had to pump the volume of the receiver up way beyond what we normally do just to hear the thing.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks -
post #6441 of 6441 Old Today, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Pioneer BDP 320

Hello.
I took mine apart to clean the lasers and the two springs just dropped out, which may well explain the noise it was making last time I fired it up.
Can anyone explain exactly where those springs should be fitted.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page