Pioneer BDP-320/BDP-23FD Owner's Thread - Page 216 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #6451 of 6452 Old 01-14-2017, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 17
^^ .. oh!! .. we (USAF) were assigned a Sponsor who assisted in our move; also, since on-post (HQ USEUCOM, Patch Brks near Sindelfingen) .. I was not concerned w/ cost of electricity. Probably good advice to go 220v; some equipment purchased thru PX used to be 'dual-voltage' .. unsure if that's the case now. Because of my assignment being different, would suggest you try and contact your command there and maybe someone could you help you out on electricity/equipment/appliances and other particular questions. Those, in the theatre, are the best sources of information from their lessons learned. Good luck .. Take care out there !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6452 of 6452 Old 01-15-2017, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom63376 View Post
Sponsor is the US Army. They said I could buy transformers and adaptor plugs over there at the PX but that I should ditch anything 110v before I go over because Transformers waste a lot of electricity
They do. Especially for a 500W amp or a 1000W toaster. But for a 32W BDP? Not so much.

It also burns some energy when idling. But you can add a switch before the transformer, and turn it on only when you actually use the player.

Quote:
and power is like 3x more in Germany as the US. They also said things wear out quick if you use a 220v-to-110v converter because the cycles are 50hz instead of US 60hz.
Not entirely true... Depends on the type of equipment and the design. I think it's generally true for some types of electric motors, for example. But for the switching PSU in the BDP-320, it shouldn't matter. Besides, as I said, the circuit in this unit is the same for both voltages.

Quote:
If this is correct, I definitely want to be running everything at 220v where possible.
That's the way to go in general. Less headaches. But of course sometimes we can't just ditch all our equipment and start from scratch.

Quote:
Are there printed symbols on things like audio receivers, toasters, vacuum cleaners, etc that would tell me that it also works at 220v? (Like the K symbol means some food item is Kosher)
The nominal voltage should be clearly stated in the back or bottom of the equipment (well, technically it could be in the front as well, but I never saw that...). There are different regulations in different countries, but I think stating the voltage is universal.

Quote:
PS: Since the Army is paying for the move, could someone be so kind as to personal message me a list of things I want to stock up on before I go over? (I was thinking about getting a few extra pair of jeans and a $150 Walmart bike still in the box)

Thanks to all for helping me out !!
I think I would stock up a few amps if I had the money...

After making sure they work on 220V, of course.

Some speakers may be cheaper in Europe, though...

Last edited by VMat; 01-18-2017 at 09:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page