post #721 of 6391 Old 06-05-2009, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post

It plays horribly, menus are beyond sluggish. Can't get PiP to work.

one would think the studios would recognize that over-engineering their discs only results in a public that is timid to buy their elaborate java encoded movie. As it has been said before, if the industry had half a brain in getting BD to succeed, they would offer a menu at loading that says "just move" or "fancy features" and let the consumer choose. I have heard some rental discs are now skipping previews and what not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 6391 Old 06-05-2009, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just wanted to make sure this is normal: my 320's drive is silent when the movie is playing. When starting the player or pressing play from a movie menu and some other periods during the loading of the movie, the drive makes a seek noise that I would characterize as a bit louder than I was expecting, not overly loud, but definitely quite audible from 10 feet away. When the movie is playing, the drive is silent (even if I turn down my receiver's volume).
post #723 of 6391 Old 06-05-2009, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecw73 View Post

Just wanted to make sure this is normal: my 320's drive is silent when the movie is playing. When starting the player or pressing play from a movie menu and some other periods during the loading of the movie, the drive makes a seek noise that I would characterize as a bit louder than I was expecting, not overly loud, but definitely quite audible from 10 feet away. When the movie is playing, the drive is silent (even if I turn down my receiver's volume).

My 320s are pretty quiet. There might be a booting type noise when it is loading, but other than that, it should be pretty quiet. Some 51 owners reported noise from slightly warped discs.
post #724 of 6391 Old 06-05-2009, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

if you're wondering how the new jvc player compares, i just posted preliminary results of testing: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...136139&page=42
post #725 of 6391 Old 06-05-2009, 01:58 PM

Did someone find workaround T2 Skynet edition yet . Just got it today and it's a no go on 320 with firmware updated to 3.13, internet connected or not. It takes forever to load (more than 10 minutes for sure, maybe even more) and then when i select version i want, i can hear sound, but no picture. Tried it 5-6 times and gave up.
post #726 of 6391 Old 06-06-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

My 320s are pretty quiet. There might be a booting type noise when it is loading, but other than that, it should be pretty quiet. Some 51 owners reported noise from slightly warped discs.

Can anyone else comment? I guess I can go check out a floor model at BB to see if what I've got is normal; want to see so I know whether it should be returned to BB for another one before my 30 days are up. Thx.
post #727 of 6391 Old 06-06-2009, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 174
Quote:

A whirling noise is perfectly normal. Sounding like a spinning "vibration" until it catches up to where it wants to be.
post #728 of 6391 Old 06-06-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:

Just wanted to make sure this is normal: my 320's drive is silent when the movie is playing. When starting the player or pressing play from a movie menu and some other periods during the loading of the movie, the drive makes a seek noise that I would characterize as a bit louder than I was expecting, not overly loud, but definitely quite audible from 10 feet away. When the movie is playing, the drive is silent (even if I turn down my receiver's volume).[IMG]http://***************/9/F/i.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://***************/9/P/i.jpg[/IMG]

Same thing happens with me..i don't see it as a problem though
post #729 of 6391 Old 06-06-2009, 04:43 PM

Hey guys,

I think i have narrowed my search down and want to hear from you guys which one would be best for my current setup. I am looking at the following blu-ray units:

*Pioneer Elite BDP-23
*Pioneer 320 (without Elite branding) Don't if it is worth paying extra for the elite if both of these have the same guts. Running HDMI so won't take advantage of the DAC's
*Panny BD60.

Not too concerned with BD-live and updating via internet. My main concern is what will give me the best PQ/AQ in the $300-$400 range.

Here is my cuurent set-up:

Pioneer Elite 111FD
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Panasonic BD-30

Any advice would be appreciated.

DJ
post #730 of 6391 Old 06-06-2009, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIA_SMALZ_11 View Post

Hey guys,

I think i have narrowed my search down and want to hear from you guys which one would be best for my current setup. I am looking at the following blu-ray units:

*Pioneer Elite BDP-23
*Pioneer 320 (without Elite branding) Don't if it is worth paying extra for the elite if both of these have the same guts. Running HDMI so won't take advantage of the DAC's
*Panny BD60.

Not too concerned with BD-live and updating via internet. My main concern is what will give me the best PQ/AQ in the $300-$400 range.

Here is my cuurent set-up:

Pioneer Elite 111FD
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Panasonic BD-30

Any advice would be appreciated.

DJ

Add the JVC player to your list of consideration. I have been nothing but impressed with it. It does not have analogues, but that is not required for you.

Go with the 320 over the 23fd - no need to pay for the elite badge with hdmi only.
post #731 of 6391 Old 06-07-2009, 01:44 AM
AVS Special Member

did you buy it from one the chains (e.g., bestbuy)? around here (morris, nj) the usual chains have not gotten any yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post

Got my 23Fd today.

Some quick observations.

BD picture quality is outstanding.

DVD quality is very good but the Oppo is better. I compared the Tom Petty
"Running Down a Dream" concert video and "Elizabeth". The Pioneer produced
more ringing on titles and had a "softer" image. The Oppo was sharper, clearer. IMO.

Load times on "Hellboy 2" BD from tray close to menu.

Pioneer 23FD 2:18
Oppo BDP-83 1:07

For a Pioneer Elite player I was surprised on how light it was. I would not characterize the build quality as any different from the 320 which was a big disappointment. I prefer Oppo's build quality. It just feels more solid.

CD

post #732 of 6391 Old 06-07-2009, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgkja View Post

did you buy it from one the chains (e.g., bestbuy)? around here (morris, nj) the usual chains have not gotten any yet.

No, bought from independent dealer over the phone. PM me for info on the dealer. (Who by the way I would NOT recommend.)

CD

Reality Based.
post #733 of 6391 Old 06-07-2009, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

just did

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post

No, bought from independent dealer over the phone. PM me for info on the dealer. (Who by the way I would NOT recommend.)

CD

post #734 of 6391 Old 06-07-2009, 08:00 AM

Some help needed from someone using the analog outs of the BDP-320.

I'm getting audio coming from only my two fronts, and no dialogue being played back at all. I'm a bit of a noob at this, so any help troubleshooting this would be greatly appreciated.

My situation:

I've got a Panasonic SAXR55S receiver with a standard 5.1 speaker configuration. I have the 320's analog outs connected to the receiver's 5.1 analog ins.

In the initial setup wizard I selected analog audio output.

In the Audio Out settings I have DTS Downmix selected, along with Lt/Rt. I've tried Stereo as well.

In the Speakers/Audio Output Mode setting I have Multi-channel selected.

Those, I think, are all the relevant settings. If someone would like to help but need more information, just ask and I'll be happy to provide any info I can.

Also, if this is the wrong place for this kind of post, I apologize. It seemed the best fit, but maybe there's a better thread/forum?

Thanks a bunch in advance.

KM
post #735 of 6391 Old 06-07-2009, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrakan View Post

I'm getting audio coming from only my two fronts, and no dialogue being played back at all. I'm a bit of a noob at this, so any help troubleshooting this would be greatly appreciated.

My situation:

I've got a Panasonic SAXR55S receiver with a standard 5.1 speaker configuration. I have the 320's analog outs connected to the receiver's 5.1 analog ins.

In the Audio Out settings I have DTS Downmix selected, along with Lt/Rt. I've tried Stereo as well.

Those, I think, are all the relevant settings. If someone would like to help but need more information, just ask and I'll be happy to provide any info I can.

Also, if this is the wrong place for this kind of post, I apologize. It seemed the best fit, but maybe there's a better thread/forum?

KM

KM,

You've inadvertantly told the 320 to downmix 5.1 tracks to stereo. Turn off DTS Downmix. Re-run the initial setup menu and ensure you're getting sound through all 6 speakers (there's a test tone displayed towards the end).
post #736 of 6391 Old 06-07-2009, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My situation:

KM

and make sure the audio track you're listening to is not stereo...this could be causing the issue too. the audio button on the remote will allow you to toggle through the selection. most dvds have a stereo track that it might default to
post #737 of 6391 Old 06-07-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:

You've inadvertantly told the 320 to downmix 5.1 tracks to stereo. Turn off DTS Downmix.

The reason I did that was because the manual says the other options are only for when you're using Digital Out (p. 38) and because I selected Analog in the beginning, they are now greyed out for me.

The manual also says that when you select the DTS Downmix/Lt Rt combination the audio signals are "converted into 2-channel signals compatible with Dolby Surround... the AV receiver or amplifier outputs the linear PCM audio signals as surround audio signals." (also p. 38)

That said, I'll go and try your suggestion right now.

Thanks.

KM
post #738 of 6391 Old 06-07-2009, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The reason I did that was because the manual says the other options are only for when you're using Digital Out (p. 38) and because I selected Analog in the beginning, they are now greyed out for me.

The manual also says that when you select the DTS Downmix/Lt Rt combination the audio signals are "converted into 2-channel signals compatible with Dolby Surround... the AV receiver or amplifier outputs the linear PCM audio signals as surround audio signals." (also p. 38)

That said, I'll go and try your suggestion right now.

Thanks.

KM

pioneer manuals tend to have cryptic yoda-like nature to them. one of two things are happening - either your source material (dvd) has only a two channel track or your 320 is downconverting a 5.1 track to 2.0.
post #739 of 6391 Old 06-07-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:

either your source material (dvd) has only a two channel track or your 320 is downconverting a 5.1 track to 2.0.

That doesn't explain why there's no dialogue though... I've tried a handful of Blu-rays and get the same result.

After I re-ran the initial setup I got audio in only two speakers at the end. And because I choose Analog during the initial setup I have no other options but to use DTS Downmix.

If I select Digital during the initial setup the other audio setting options do open up for me, but even then I only get audio from the two speakers and no dialogue.

Playing DVDs from my DVD player still works, so the receiver is still working properly... I'm wondering if I've got a faulty 320...

Off to troubleshoot some more. Maybe there's some settings on my receiver that's missing...

KM
post #740 of 6391 Old 06-07-2009, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That doesn't explain why there's no dialogue though... I've tried a handful of Blu-rays and get the same result.

After I re-ran the initial setup I got audio in only two speakers at the end. And because I choose Analog during the initial setup I have no other options but to use DTS Downmix.

If I select Digital during the initial setup the other audio setting options do open up for me, but even then I only get audio from the two speakers and no dialogue.

Playing DVDs from my DVD player still works, so the receiver is still working properly... I'm wondering if I've got a faulty 320...

Off to troubleshoot some more. Maybe there's some settings on my receiver that's missing...

KM

km,

totally missed the bit that you were not getting any dialogue - that is very strange. i wonder if you do have a faulty 320. i would call pioneer in the morning or take it back if you got it from a B&M store. should not be that hard to get working!
post #741 of 6391 Old 06-07-2009, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

KM

can you get surround (DD, DTS) over optical?
post #742 of 6391 Old 06-07-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:

KM

So when you say that playing DVDs still works properly, is the DVD player connected to the 5.1 multi channel inputs on your receiver? If so, it's probably an issue with the 320.

Else I would check to make sure your receiver is set to multi-channel input and re-check, though obvious, all 3 pairs of RCA cables (6 cables) are connected correctly. Good luck.
post #743 of 6391 Old 06-07-2009, 07:16 PM

Hi Everyone,
I just picked up the 320 at a local BB, my set up is via the HDMI/DVI cable to a 60" RPTV, and just analog outputs to the TV. I have two questions/concerns that I would like to get your input on:
1. My audio sounds very low, and I have to keep the volume on the TV very high to hear well.
2. Do I need to do anything different with the DVI/HDMI connection? such as the RGB settings?

sincerely,
Eric
post #744 of 6391 Old 06-07-2009, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by emont View Post

Hi Everyone,
I just picked up the 320 at a local BB, my set up is via the HDMI/DVI cable to a 60" RPTV, and just analog outputs to the TV. I have two questions/concerns that I would like to get your input on:
1. My audio sounds very low, and I have to keep the volume on the TV very high to hear well.
2. Do I need to do anything different with the DVI/HDMI connection? such as the RGB settings?

sincerely,
Eric

I'm not sure if this would help you.
1. In the HDMI setting screen set the HDMI audio to off. In the options setting screen, set the output terminal to analog audio. In the speaker setup screen make your adjustments.
2. For the HDMI/DVI color space leave it at auto.
post #745 of 6391 Old 06-07-2009, 09:34 PM

Thank you for the suggestions, I hope that will help with my sound level. On the speaker set up, I can't seem to be able to make any adjustments unless I change it from 2 channel audio to multi channel. Is that right?

Thanks for your help,
post #746 of 6391 Old 06-08-2009, 04:39 AM

Ok, I figured it out. Kinda. Figured it out in a way that doesn't make sense, but at least I'm getting audio.

There's a Dolby Pro Logic II mode on my receiver, which when used does play back the audio across all five speakers. This jives what the 320 manual says on p32 about Pro Logic receivers outputting "the linear PCM audio signals as surround audio signals".

But, and here's the part that doesn't seem to make sense, if I keep the initial setup at analog, I still get no dialogue. If I change that to digital, but keep everything else the same, I do get the dialogue. Despite not being hooked up via digital at all.

Anyway, thanks for the help. I very much appreciate it. Thought I'd post my results here in case anyone else runs into trouble with my combination of player and receiver.

KM
post #747 of 6391 Old 06-08-2009, 04:51 AM

For those of you who understand all of the audio options for the BDP-320, I have a question about how to get the best surround for my particular system.

Sadly, I only have a 2.1 system, but the speakers I do have are at least reference quality. So it's a Left Main, Right Main, and SubWoofer. My older receiver does not accept HDMI or digital input and is old enough that it only has Dolby Prologic decoding.

Here are my 2 current audio output options. Which do you think is better in terms of bringing as much of the available audio as possible, and in the highest quality???

(1) HDMI: BDP-320 HDMI to Kuro Display, then Kuro audio out to receiver. With this setting I have the DTS Downmix set to either "Stereo" or "Lt/Rt", probably just Stereo. Receiver will decide what part of signal to send to sub and sub can cutoff the rest.

(2) Analog: BDP-320 Analog outs to receiver's discrete Left, Right, and Sub inputs. With this setting I can go into the BDP-320's speaker settings and inform it that there are no rear, center, or surround speakers present, and also set the cutoff for the sub. (For some reason, I noticed that the DTS Downmix option was still active when multi-channel analog output was enabled, even with all channels enabled, but I'll still leave it on Stereo I suppose.?)

To sum it up, the first case sends a stereo DTS Downmix to the Kuro, which passes it on to my receiver. The second case lets the BDP-320 send discrete left, right, and subwoofer channels direct to the receiver. The real question is what the 320 will do with the missing channels when using the analog outs, or if it's even possible that the same DTS Downmix is simply sent through the analog outs.

Thanks to anyone with advice.
post #748 of 6391 Old 06-08-2009, 05:46 AM

Liked: 12
Greetings everybody,

I have the opportunity to purchase either the 51fd or the 320 at a serious discount. Which player is the best for the $$$? The 320 is about $75 more. Is it worth the extra cash? I am running a Pioneer 5080hd with a Klipsch CS-700 and want to upgrade to Blu-ray. Thanks in advance.

Nick
post #749 of 6391 Old 06-08-2009, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrj69 View Post

Greetings everybody,

I have the opportunity to purchase either the 51fd or the 320 at a serious discount. Which player is the best for the $$$? The 320 is about $75 more. Is it worth the extra cash? I am running a Pioneer 5080hd with a Klipsch CS-700 and want to upgrade to Blu-ray. Thanks in advance.

Nick

a retailer in ny that is running a nameyourprice sale has the two priced only $40 apart and has a price for the 320 pushing 300.

i would get the 320 in my humble opinion
post #750 of 6391 Old 06-08-2009, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyjoey View Post

For those of you who understand all of the audio options for the BDP-320, I have a question about how to get the best surround for my particular system.

Sadly, I only have a 2.1 system, but the speakers I do have are at least reference quality. So it's a Left Main, Right Main, and SubWoofer. My older receiver does not accept HDMI or digital input and is old enough that it only has Dolby Prologic decoding.

Here are my 2 current audio output options. Which do you think is better in terms of bringing as much of the available audio as possible, and in the highest quality???

(1) HDMI: BDP-320 HDMI to Kuro Display, then Kuro audio out to receiver. With this setting I have the DTS Downmix set to either "Stereo" or "Lt/Rt", probably just Stereo. Receiver will decide what part of signal to send to sub and sub can cutoff the rest.

(2) Analog: BDP-320 Analog outs to receiver's discrete Left, Right, and Sub inputs. With this setting I can go into the BDP-320's speaker settings and inform it that there are no rear, center, or surround speakers present, and also set the cutoff for the sub. (For some reason, I noticed that the DTS Downmix option was still active when multi-channel analog output was enabled, even with all channels enabled, but I'll still leave it on Stereo I suppose.?)

To sum it up, the first case sends a stereo DTS Downmix to the Kuro, which passes it on to my receiver. The second case lets the BDP-320 send discrete left, right, and subwoofer channels direct to the receiver. The real question is what the 320 will do with the missing channels when using the analog outs, or if it's even possible that the same DTS Downmix is simply sent through the analog outs.

Thanks to anyone with advice.

I would try both, but would guess option two will sound better. Frankly, i am not even sure the kuro can accept hdmi and output optical. if it can, it is probably only going to be receiving two channel because the hdmi connection detecting the two channel layout of the kuro.

i think you are best running analogues to your receiver and informing the 320 you have a limited setup. it will have to downmix the signals to 2.1. I am unsure what happens to the lossless codecs, but it should be better than recirculating the audio via your kuro.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page