Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 720 Old 09-24-2009, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceFed_B16A View Post

This just happened to me about two hours ago. I finished watching Weeds season three, so I set the disk back into its case, snapped it shut, and proceeded to fit it back into my small but growing Blu-Ray collection. Seeing I still had time to continue watching, I shuffled season three back in, next to Weeds season two, while I anxiously clasped season four's case. With a grin on my face, I walked down the hall towards my basic, yet modern amateur home theater, and completed all the steps needed to best replicate the relationship I shared with the first three seasons of Shotime's Weeds. Soon after the the first two steps were history, I closed the disk tray and naturally, as we all do, I awaited for the fourth. This is where chicoasher, other Weeds fans, and I came to feel cheated, although nobody came; the fun ends before the finish; we're blue-balled...

I have the most recent BD-P1590 firmware update installed and the ethernet cable is always attached, providing the world to the fingertips of my Samsung Blu-Ray player so that it may obtain whatever it shall need. However, after inserting disk one (and disk two), I'm left there sitting with remote in hand, button mashing repeatedly out of confusion, and staring at a looping background of a menu which presents to its viewers no options, other than to choosing between feeling cornered by a rupturing atmosphere of discontentment, or to simply skip that stage, and just jump right into an emotional world of rage. Assuredly, any one of us who unfortunately finds incompatibility, while in search of a cinematic treasure, ultimately becomes a victim of the Samsung BD-P1590, and when given only these two horrid options, we will inevitably enter the world of rage at some point.

It's a fact, once the black, long and thick, hard and pulsating, and vein-wrapped member of the Samsung Blu-Ray god enters your place of comfort, bringing gifts and promises of satisfaction. Binarically injecting its helpless prey with its so-called "Firmware Updates." After the Blu-Ray player power-cycles and enough time is given for the recently conceived update to travel through the electronic tubes from deep within the belly of the beast, and conclude its installation by clinging to fleshy wall deep within, where both Samsung customer and technical support teams secretly place their bets, each all-in, and all of us with our fingers crossed.

Hopefully Samsung will knock up a healthy update, for once since the product's launch, that will succeed, and Weeds season four, as well as others, will play on our screens in perfect form. In reviewing my levels of costumer satisfaction thus far, specifically concerning my experiences with the resulting deformities found in previous failware updates, I appreciate Samsung Blu-Ray god and his ethical opinions, which favor the Pro-Choice movement, and I also find comfort in knowing I have the choice to abort any new digital-fetus that comes my way, or at least hold off on its installation until people more brave than I install it and confirm that it's an improvement or not.

I feel cheap and used...

This may be the most brilliant post I have ever read.
Well done.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 720 Old 09-24-2009, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The issues I have with the Samsung haven't appeared on my PS3 or Sony BDP-S360 as of yet.
post #273 of 720 Old 09-26-2009, 05:54 PM

Anyone know how to program the remote for a Vizio TV? The BD-P1590 manual doesn't include any codes for Vizio. The code for LG 19 works everything (vol, mute, channel) except for TV input.
post #274 of 720 Old 09-26-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_TV View Post

Anyone know how to program the remote for a Vizio TV? The BD-P1590 manual doesn't include any codes for Vizio. The code for LG 19 works everything (vol, mute, channel) except for TV input.

I have the same problem. My Onkyo receiver has no codes for Visio.
post #275 of 720 Old 09-29-2009, 04:07 AM

So I tested the BD-P1590 for a couple of weeks. I compared it to my PS3 and, in my eyes, actually think the SS came out favorably (esp in upscaling DVDs). I must have played about 10-12 BluRay discs without any hiccups. I love the Netflix interface (much better than the one on my Tivo S3), and Pandora is fantastic.

Having said all this, I still am going to return the unit. But.... how the heck to I remove my Pandora account info?? Firmware upgrades don't remove the info, resetting the unit to factory settings (by holding the front panel's FF key > 5 sec) doesn't do it either...

Any one?
post #276 of 720 Old 09-29-2009, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanjumper View Post

...how the heck to I remove my Pandora account info??

Any one?

Unlike Netflix where you can see your devices on your account page, I haven't found a place on Pandora.com where you can do the same. I believe you have to email Pandora support and have them remove the device from your Pandora account.
post #277 of 720 Old 09-29-2009, 03:00 PM

Found out the official answer on if the Samsung remote control can be programmed for a Vizio TV. Thought I would post it here to share…

Official response from Samsung Support:

The Samsung's Universal Remote control can work only with the Brands of TVs that are listed in the page 20 of the user manual. Unfortunately, the remote control does not work with the brand other than those listed under this table.

However, you may try setting the code 19 in the remote control to use your Vizio HDTV. I cannot assure you that this code would work.
post #278 of 720 Old 09-29-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:

I believe you have to email Pandora support and have them remove the device from your Pandora account.

Indeed. I emailed pandora-support@pandora.com and they fixed it within 12 hours. Excellent response & support
post #279 of 720 Old 09-30-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:

The Samsung's Universal Remote control can work only with the Brands of TVs that are listed in the page 20 of the user manual.

Well I have a new Panasonic, which is listed with several codes on page 20. None of them work. So even that system has it's limitations.
post #280 of 720 Old 10-01-2009, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokk View Post

Well I have a new Panasonic, which is listed with several codes on page 20. None of them work. So even that system has it's limitations.

I have had no luck with my Panny either. You'd think that was a well established enough brand...
post #281 of 720 Old 10-02-2009, 11:47 AM

I just downloaded 2.04 today with loader 1.06. So far Pandora works fine. Haven't gotten the chance to try anything else.
post #282 of 720 Old 10-02-2009, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

The update has something to do with the Blockbuster software for sure. Not sure what else.

Activation still unavailable but maybe the service is closer to getting ready.
post #283 of 720 Old 10-03-2009, 08:11 PM

Can anyone tell me if the latest firmware upates has any problems with audio delay with NetFlix streaming? I would use this unit primarily for NetFlix instant play movies, and DVD upconverting. How does the NetFlix streaming video quality look on a 1080p TV (using wired ethernet on cable modem ~5 Mbps download)?
post #284 of 720 Old 10-04-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrExx View Post

Can anyone tell me if the latest firmware upates has any problems with audio delay with NetFlix streaming? I would use this unit primarily for NetFlix instant play movies, and DVD upconverting. How does the NetFlix streaming video quality look on a 1080p TV (using wired ethernet on cable modem ~5 Mbps download)?

Netflix streaming looks pretty good at the "HD" setting. I have ~6-7MB down and get the "HD" stream consistently with movies and TVs that have HD (not all Netflix streaming titles are in HD).
post #285 of 720 Old 10-05-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:

I have the same setup - through an HDMI receiver to my 56" Samsung 1080p DLP. HD Netflix, although limited in titles, looks awesome! I am greatly enjoying Star Trek Season 1 Remaster in HD right now. The non-HD stuff is hit or miss, some movies are unwatchable, while other shows (Tudors S1) are much more detailed.

I haven't noticed any audio issues yet, but I haven't had the player that long either. Although the Netflix interface on the Xbox 360 is much superior, the Samsung unit is way quieter and has pandora streaming to boot!
post #286 of 720 Old 10-05-2009, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

The Blockbuster 'button' should now take you to an announcement screen stating the following on the player:

"Soon you'll be able to enjoy renting movies from BLOCKBUSTER right on your Samsung Blu-ray player. Please check back regularly for updates." and then there's an Exit button.

So maybe this month?
post #287 of 720 Old 10-06-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:

I have the same setup. I use Netflix all the time and I'm very pleased with it. No issues with the latest firmware. I haven't tried any BD titles with this firmware yet. (my collection is small) Just Netflix, Pandora and upconversion of a couple DVDs. All seems well.
post #288 of 720 Old 10-08-2009, 07:28 AM

Running 2.03 I couldn't connect to my Netflix cue. I updated to 2.04, but that didn't help. Hoping it was just a Netflix outage. Never had problems before.
post #289 of 720 Old 10-08-2009, 07:31 AM

Just got a 1590C from Cosco. Played about 6 bluerays from Netflix in it and everyone has had an issue at some point in the movie. It will stop for a brief moment and then start again. Or the picture will get grainy/snowy for intervals in the movie and then clear up on and off throughout the movie. I can't tell if it's the disk from Netflix causing these problems or my blueray player. Streaming netflix movies don't do this. Any one else have this problem? Suggestions/thoughts??? Is it the disk or the player??
Thanks.
post #290 of 720 Old 10-08-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkthiess View Post

Running 2.03 I couldn't connect to my Netflix cue. I updated to 2.04, but that didn't help. Hoping it was just a Netflix outage. Never had problems before.

The 1600 forum answered my question. Netflix was out.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...124702&page=44
post #291 of 720 Old 10-08-2009, 07:33 AM

I got mine at Costco and have had no problems with BD playback. I say exchange it.
post #292 of 720 Old 10-08-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekend camper View Post

Just got a 1590C from Cosco. Played about 6 bluerays from Netflix in it and everyone has had an issue at some point in the movie..

What firmware revision are you using? The older ones had more issues.
post #293 of 720 Old 10-08-2009, 08:41 AM

I updated all that came up on the screen when I hooked it up and then I downloaded the one a few days ago I didn't write down the firmware updates its only been two weeksago when I got it at costco
post #294 of 720 Old 10-08-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:

I updated all that came up on the screen when I hooked it up and then I downloaded the one a few days ago I didn't write down the firmware updates its only been two weeksago when I got it at costco

Quick question for Netflix users (I don't use it yet). Would / could network issues with your ISP be causing some of the issues folks are seeing with Netflix and this player? They player seems to be getting some bad wrap and I'm wondering if network traffic is partially to blame?

HD Junkie
post #295 of 720 Old 10-08-2009, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiOS ConVert View Post

Quick question for Netflix users (I don't use it yet). Would / could network issues with your ISP be causing some of the issues folks are seeing with Netflix and this player?

Could be.
post #296 of 720 Old 10-09-2009, 02:11 PM

Upgraded to 2.04 this morning and then watched the Gladiator DVD (not Blu-ray). Noticed two momentary glitches that showed some serious macro-blocking. Each occurrence was like half a second but the movie kept playing and the sound was still in sync. Nothing major but thought I'd mention it.
post #297 of 720 Old 10-10-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:

If you are having issues with the latest firmware (no one else has reported much for problems), then I would exchange it at Costco for another one. They have a great return policy. Might as well make use of it.
post #298 of 720 Old 10-10-2009, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flakbait View Post

Upgraded to 2.04 this morning and then watched the Gladiator DVD (not Blu-ray). Noticed two momentary glitches that showed some serious macro-blocking. Each occurrence was like half a second but the movie kept playing and the sound was still in sync. Nothing major but thought I'd mention it.

If you can get some times, I'll try my disc again. One known issue disc with macro-blocking is Matrix: Revolutions in which it is a manufacturing defect.
post #299 of 720 Old 10-11-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post

If you can get some times, I'll try my disc again. One known issue disc with macro-blocking is Matrix: Revolutions in which it is a manufacturing defect.

I'll try and make note of it soon. If it helps, this was the Gladiator DVD without the DTS sound option. Dolby Digital only available on disc.
post #300 of 720 Old 10-12-2009, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flakbait View Post

I'll try and make note of it soon. If it helps, this was the Gladiator DVD without the DTS sound option. Dolby Digital only available on disc.

Sorry, I have the DTS-ES version 667068-720426.

On another note: Still no Blockbuster.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd P1590 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page