samsung BD-P1590 - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 720 Old 11-15-2009, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can a USB key drive connected to this player be formatted in NTFS? Or does it need FAT32?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 720 Old 11-15-2009, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there. I have the 1590 and have had no real problems. However, recently, on just two movies (not BluRay), everything will be in 16:9 aspect, but when the movie starts, it is 4:3. When I select "Disc Menu" or "Title Menu", it goes back to 16:9...but then again when I press Play, the display goes to 4:3.

This is only happening on two dvds. Can anyone tell me what's going on and how to fix? Sorry if this has been asked and answered but I haven't been able to find the solution.

Thanks, Dan
post #363 of 720 Old 11-16-2009, 07:47 AM

Could you post what the two dvds are? That might help.
post #364 of 720 Old 11-16-2009, 08:22 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmoon View Post

I'm seeing that it can also do "PC Streaming"

The 1590? Where did you see that?
post #365 of 720 Old 11-16-2009, 03:53 PM

The 2 dvd's on which this is occurring is "Over The Hedge" and "Horton Hears a Who".
post #366 of 720 Old 11-17-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike777 View Post

Can a USB key drive connected to this player be formatted in NTFS? Or does it need FAT32?

I'm wondering the same thing, as I just got a 16 gig flash. Also, unless I'm doing something wrong I'm guessing the player can't decode MKV files? I don't seem to be having any luck.
post #367 of 720 Old 11-17-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmooga View Post

The 2 dvd's on which this is occurring is "Over The Hedge" and "Horton Hears a Who".

I know over the hege hasnt come out on blu ray yet so make sure that the dvd you have isnt the full screen version if it is then it is displaying correctly, same thing for horton hears a who if its the dvd and not the bluray
post #368 of 720 Old 11-17-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp34gsh View Post

I know over the hege hasnt come out on blu ray yet so make sure that the dvd you have isnt the full screen version if it is then it is displaying correctly, same thing for horton hears a who if its the dvd and not the bluray

I'm not sure why anyone would want to pay the extra cost for an animated movie on Blu-Ray - you can't tell the difference with any modern standard definition DVD, unless we're talking some 40's Disney movie that hasn't been remastered. Maybe the audio is better on BR, but the average target audience of such films will hardly appreciate the difference.
post #369 of 720 Old 11-17-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lousygolfer View Post

I'm not sure why anyone would want to pay the extra cost for an animated movie on Blu-Ray - you can't tell the difference with any modern standard definition DVD, unless we're talking some 40's Disney movie that hasn't been remastered. Maybe the audio is better on BR, but the average target audience of such films will hardly appreciate the difference.

i'll agree to disagree with you on that one.
post #370 of 720 Old 11-17-2009, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush1816 View Post

I am on the latest Firmware (2.05) on my 1590 and tried to play Duplicity from NF the other night. No dice. It would load the initial studio splash screen, but it would then freeze at the beginning of the first preview. I tried to skip past it to the title menu with no luck. I have to force a shutdown to regain control of the unit.

I played Duplicity from Netflix on my 1590 with no problems.
post #371 of 720 Old 11-17-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp34gsh View Post

This is what is sounds like to me. You have a 4:3 disc. The menu is 16:9, but the movie is different. Also, this is probably obvious, but make sure your player is set up for the correct aspect of your tv.
post #372 of 720 Old 11-17-2009, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Simpson View Post

This is what is sounds like to me. You have a 4:3 disc. The menu is 16:9, but the movie is different. Also, this is probably obvious, but make sure your player is set up for the correct aspect of your tv.

Good point. Some DVD's, especially earlier DVD's had 4:3 versions and 16:9 versions on separate disc releases along with different aspect ratios between the movie and menus (I've seen it both ways on different discs but mainly 16:9 menus with a full screen 4:3 feature). Also, there are some 4:3 full screen title versions that actually show the correct aspect ratio during the open credits and switch to full screen for the remainder of the movie.
post #373 of 720 Old 11-17-2009, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsevinsk View Post

The 1590? Where did you see that?

http://www.samsung.com/in/consumer/t...ype=prd_detail

YouTube support seems cude, only supporting the low-def flash. I tested with one that I *know* is HQ/HD and it looked like crap. I don't know which Firmware is on the device right now, I was going to flash via USB later.

Netflix streaming took less than a minute and works as well as I expected. I wish it had coax rather than optical toslink, but I can work around that. 4:3 DVD's look better than my Oppo DV-981HD, probably because of a stupid flaw in the oppo but I expect 16:9 disks to be approximately the same.

I suppose I should try a BR disk ( once I get one ).

So far I'm impressed, at $100 it's a real bargain.

Eric

"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced" - corollary to Clark's Third Law
post #374 of 720 Old 11-17-2009, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I installed a refurb 1590 tonight. I updated the firmware via the internet and that worked properly. I tried out Netflix and Pandora and that seems to be working properly as well. I am now watching Up on BR and I have noticed how loud the drive and fan are. I can hear the drive in quiet scenes. It has a low pitched whine to it. Even when the disc is paused. It also makes a fairly loud gear type sound at what I believe to be a chapter change.

The fan is also loud. I can't hear it too badly when I am @10' away though.

I am comparing this to a Panny BD-60. The Panny is dead quiet except when the disc first loads. After that I can't hear the drive or the fan.

Another issue is I couldn't find a working code for my Verizon remote to control the 1590. This isn't a deal stopper but for a bedroom setup it would be nice to have one remote for everything. I know I can buy a Harmony but for a simple setup (TV, cable box, and a BR player) I shouldn't have to.

I am going to try it out for a few days but I think the noise is going to bother me too much.

EDIT: The noise is not a chapter change. It just happened twice within 2 minutes. It sounds like the player is having a hard time reading the disc. It makes like a errr ennn type sound. This is while watching Up on BR. Up is brand new. I just opened it tonight.
post #375 of 720 Old 11-18-2009, 05:47 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post

EDIT: The noise is not a chapter change. It just happened twice within 2 minutes. It sounds like the player is having a hard time reading the disc. It makes like a errr ennn type sound. This is while watching Up on BR. Up is brand new. I just opened it tonight.

I've noticed this as well (it also happened on The Watchmen for me I believe), however so far it hasn't had any affect on playback of the movie (it happens every time we watch Up...I haven't kept track to see if it's at the exact same time each time though).

I have not upgraded to fw 2.05 yet (still on 2.04).
post #376 of 720 Old 11-18-2009, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadobox View Post

I've noticed this as well (it also happened on The Watchmen for me I believe), however so far it hasn't had any affect on playback of the movie (it happens every time we watch Up...I haven't kept track to see if it's at the exact same time each time though).

I have not upgraded to fw 2.05 yet (still on 2.04).

Could it be some sort of mulit-branching/special feature that requires buffering of additional content? That might cause the player to seek back and forth between the main movie and the additional content.

Eric

"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced" - corollary to Clark's Third Law
post #377 of 720 Old 11-18-2009, 10:26 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Could it be some sort of mulit-branching/special feature that requires buffering of additional content? That might cause the player to seek back and forth between the main movie and the additional content.

Yeah, that's certainly a reasonable guess. Like I said, it hasn't affected playback at all but it is something I have noticed.
post #378 of 720 Old 11-18-2009, 11:17 AM

I haven't noticed any noises out of my 1590, but I hardly ever play BD content (I primarily got the 1590 for price, upscaling, Netflix, Pandora.....it's a good deal for just those items!).
I am curious about the PC Streaming......I didn't think it had that feature, but the link above to Samsung's website says the 1600 has it (same firmware). I'll have to look around the menus again. Anyone tried this?

Edit: I just looked through my menus again......there isn't an option for PC Streaming. However, looking at Samsung's website, it says "Connect via Wireless LAN" under the PC streaming option. So perhaps you have to own Samsung's wireless dongle for the 1590 to activate the streaming option (I noticed my "Wireless" setting is grayed out, so I can't check what subheadings are under it). If that is indeed the case, what a stupid setup.......you already have a ethernet port!!!!! It shouldn't matter how you stream the content.....wired or wireless! Since other options are already streamed via wired or wireless, PC streaming should be no different.
post #379 of 720 Old 11-18-2009, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I am not too concerned about the drive noise. That can happen from time to time with any drive.

My biggest concern is the fan noise. It is audible from across the room. Don't get me wrong it isn't too loud but I can hear it.
post #380 of 720 Old 11-18-2009, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_tx View Post

I haven't noticed any noises out of my 1590, but I hardly ever play BD content (I primarily got the 1590 for price, upscaling, Netflix, Pandora.....it's a good deal for just those items!).
I am curious about the PC Streaming......I didn't think it had that feature, but the link above to Samsung's website says the 1600 has it (same firmware). I'll have to look around the menus again. Anyone tried this?

Edit: I just looked through my menus again......there isn't an option for PC Streaming. However, looking at Samsung's website, it says "Connect via Wireless LAN" under the PC streaming option. So perhaps you have to own Samsung's wireless dongle for the 1590 to activate the streaming option (I noticed my "Wireless" setting is grayed out, so I can't check what subheadings are under it). If that is indeed the case, what a stupid setup.......you already have a ethernet port!!!!! It shouldn't matter how you stream the content.....wired or wireless! Since other options are already streamed via wired or wireless, PC streaming should be no different.

Looking at the site I think I've figured out the mess. The site is actually Indonesia version of the site and the firmware is a dramatically different size. I think the US version comes with Netflix, BB, Pandora, and YouTube and the Indonesian version comes with PC Streaming.

So the device cleary *supports* PC Streaming, but the US version either does not have the flash or they have chosen to withhold that feature on their value player. If their is a brave soul out there they can try installing the firmware on the above link to see if it works.

Personally I would gladly trade BB for PC Streaming.

Eric

post #381 of 720 Old 11-18-2009, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I got mine yesterday and I didn't hear the fan in the three hours I used the player.

Updated firmware just fine over the internet.

I love the Netflix streaming. Sure it isn't up to DVD quality, but it certainly isn't bad, and the variety of stuff Netflix has is very impressive. I will for sure use this feature. Netflix streaming with this player is better than streaming with my computer. Plus NetFlix has pseudo HD quality when you stream to a blu-ray player like this, which I don't think you can do when streaming to your computer. I like this way better than Comcast On-Demand.

YouTube is also kind of fun to fool around with.

So far, everything I tried with this player worked.

I too wish it had COAX instead of optical. But I do like the fact that it semi-interfaces with my Toshiba HDTV via the HDMI port, which means many of my TV remote functions control the player.

I seriously don't like the Samsung remote. Very unintuitive.

One weird glitch is sometimes when I leave Pandora, which I probably won't use very much anyway, a clicking sound comes over HDMI and through my TV speakers. Switching to another function, or turning on/off the player gets rid of this. Only noticed this in the above scenario.
post #382 of 720 Old 11-19-2009, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Here are my complaints about the 1590. It feels cheap, the buttons on the front are very hard to see in the dark, the remote is horrible, I can't get the 1590 to work with a Verizon Fios remote, the fan is audible from across the room and the drive itself makes noises which are audible during quiet scenes. Keep in perspective that I am using this in a bedroom. If this was in my living room then most of my complaints wouldn't be an issue.

On the positive side it is fairly quick, PQ is good, and streaming works well.

I picked up a LG BD-370 from Bestbuy today to try out. It seems to have much higher quality than the 1590/1600. I plugged it in while at work. It is next to silent. I could barely hear the drive even with my ear right next to it. That may change with a BR disc. All I have at work is a CD and DVD. The unit itself was so silent that I decided to take off the cover to see if there is a fan. There isn't one!

I am looking forward to trying it out tonight. I hope the PQ is good and the streaming works well. If so this may be the player I keep for awhile.

If anyone here is looking for a 1590 send me a PM. I probably will be selling it if I can't return it. I will also be selling my BD-60 if the 370 works out.
post #383 of 720 Old 11-19-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:

Personally I would gladly trade BB for PC Streaming.

Totally agree with you there. PC Streaming is a no-brainer. I'd give up YouTube or BB for it.
post #384 of 720 Old 11-19-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_tx View Post

Totally agree with you there. PC Streaming is a no-brainer. I'd give up YouTube or BB for it.

Geez, if the 1590 had that I might not need my Xbox 360 anymore!

Samsung please add Hulu to the 1590!
post #385 of 720 Old 11-19-2009, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flakbait View Post

Geez, if the 1590 had that I might not need my Xbox 360 anymore!

Samsung please add Hulu to the 1590!

While streaming is obviously code they have already developed, Hulu is not, and based on Hulu's tendencies I doubt Hulu would allow it. Come on Samsung, give us the option of something that's much more useful than BB or a half baked YouTube support we want PC Streaming.

Some other complaints.

1) The unit has a tendency to go back to the main menu and turn off after a timeout that is not configurable. Sorry, I have kids and it's annoying for it to turn off.

2) Pandora has neither screen savers or visualizers. ( edit, it has a screensaver ). (edit 2: pandora has a stutter at the beginning of each song once. )

3) Before I switched off some feature, turning off my TV turned off the player. Not necessarily what you want when listening to music.

4) Remote/ergonomics suck. Lots of buttons are dead half the time and not the ones you might expect.

Overall I got it for Netflix and for that it's been working great. The PQ on DVD's has been mostly better than expected coming from a DCDi upscaler on my Oppo. Still don't have a BR disk for testing, I'll be stealing a number from my sister-in-law as soon as I see her again to put it through some paces. Pandora has been a nice plus that I don't think I would have used otherwise.

For $100 it's still a bargain.

Eric

post #386 of 720 Old 11-20-2009, 06:15 AM

Quote:

2) Pandora has neither screen savers or visualizers. ( edit, it has a screensaver ). (edit 2: pandora has a stutter at the beginning of each song once. )

3) Before I switched off some feature, turning off my TV turned off the player. Not necessarily what you want when listening to music.

Pandora stutters - check your network. Are you wireless? Mine is hardwired and never stuttered in the ~3 months I've had it.

Turning off the TV turns off the player - mine did this when I was HDMI only. I added an RCA cable to the back of my receiver to another input for audio only when playing Pandora and now I can turn off the TV.

Hope these help. For the price these are great players...

HD Junkie
post #387 of 720 Old 11-20-2009, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiOS ConVert View Post

Pandora stutters - check your network. Are you wireless? Mine is hardwired and never stuttered in the ~3 months I've had it.

Turning off the TV turns off the player - mine did this when I was HDMI only. I added an RCA cable to the back of my receiver to another input for audio only when playing Pandora and now I can turn off the TV.

Hope these help. For the price these are great players...

Hardwired and a good internet connection that we use for VoIP to a third party provider. The blip almost goes unnoticed and is a minor annoyance in the grand scheme of things.

The TV turning off the player can actually be fixed even with HDMI if you change a setting ( I don't remember which one exactly at the moment ).

Eric

post #388 of 720 Old 11-20-2009, 10:37 AM

I got this player the other day and overall I am very satisfied with it so far. I watched 1 blu ray movie without any issue and the picture looked great. I am using the component out to my 1080i TV because I only have 1 DVI port which is being used with my Directv box. Since I don't have 1080p I'm not sure it really matters anyways since component does 1080i. The player ran quiet for me and the Netflix worked great. The picture quality for a few movies I looked at seemed to be very close to DVD quality. Pandora and Youtube also worked ok but I don't expect to get much use out of those. Overall it was a very good $100 investment.

Now the question I have is about BD Live. It recommends at least a 1GB USB stick for it to work. Since I will be buying a new one how much do I really need? I would rather end up with way too much than to be borderline. I was thinking of buying a new 8GB stick for my personal use and then plugging in my old 4GB stick to the Blu Ray player. I assume that should be plenty? Would a 2GB be plenty or would I be better off doing what I am thinking of doing now?
post #389 of 720 Old 11-20-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike777 View Post

I love the Netflix streaming. Sure it isn't up to DVD quality, but it certainly isn't bad, and the variety of stuff Netflix has is very impressive.

Try some of the "HD" stuff like clear and present danger or the office. Not quite blu-ray, but looks really good. Sometimes called DVD+ quality.
post #390 of 720 Old 11-20-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:

The TV turning off the player can actually be fixed even with HDMI if you change a setting ( I don't remember which one exactly at the moment ).

I think it's called "AnyNet" - find that setting and disable it and the TV and player will be separate.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd P1590 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page