Advertisement

post #452 of 720 Old 12-28-2009, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiGiTY View Post

The problem now is Netflix randomly freezes during streaming (HD, Lost, Season 2). One time it froze after watching 5 episodes, another time it froze after watching 1 episode and it'll continue to freeze after a minute or two of playback after stopping & replaying or powering off/on & replaying.

Is this common with this model, is anyone else having this issue? I found the 1600 for cheaper and thinking of replacing this 1590 with that. Is it any better?

I got the 1590 last night. BD playback worked fine on the one disk I tried. I don't anticipate any problems with that. But when I tried a Netflix movie (HD version of Pan's Labyrinth), I had the same issue a few here have mentioned: the movie locks up every 2-3 minutes. It played for about 45 minutes just fine, then I had to pause it for about 15 minutes to get the kids' bath started. When I started the movie again it would play for about 2 minutes and then freeze. I had to stop/play again, or rewind/play and then it would work for another 2 minutes. It was very consistently freezing in 2-3 minutes. Very frustrating.
I have an XBox 360 that we've used for Netflix for months and it doesn't have this same problem so I'm suspecting it's something related to the 1590 (the XBox works fine using the same wired network, and the same Netflix account).
I haven't checked the firmware version, is 2.05 still the latest?
post #453 of 720 Old 12-28-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingFan View Post

I got the 1590 last night. BD playback worked fine on the one disk I tried. I don't anticipate any problems with that. But when I tried a Netflix movie (HD version of Pan's Labyrinth), I had the same issue a few here have mentioned: the movie locks up every 2-3 minutes. It played for about 45 minutes just fine, then I had to pause it for about 15 minutes to get the kids' bath started. When I started the movie again it would play for about 2 minutes and then freeze. I had to stop/play again, or rewind/play and then it would work for another 2 minutes. It was very consistently freezing in 2-3 minutes. Very frustrating.
I have an XBox 360 that we've used for Netflix for months and it doesn't have this same problem so I'm suspecting it's something related to the 1590 (the XBox works fine using the same wired network, and the same Netflix account).
I haven't checked the firmware version, is 2.05 still the latest?

I am having the same problems as other regarding the freezing issues with the Samsung BD-P1590 and the streaming of Netflix movie/shows. I have the latest firmware version of 2.05. This is not a bandwidth issue, as I am now using my Roku player and the movies are playing fine on Netflix with no freezing issues. This is only happening on the Samsung player.
post #454 of 720 Old 12-28-2009, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

i got my 1590 on black friday and i didnt have one bit of problems with it before christmas. After christmas i got some lockups here and there streaming netflix. Today i had it lock up a few times during "The last american hero" after i restarted the thing about 5 times i decided to try and pull the plug and restart it. Its been working smooth ever since.

A buddy of mine has one and he wonders about the memory. How much emory do these have? if you have say 30 movies in your que list woud this affect its playback? I think its just saving the icons in your que list right? He got an 8gig memory stick on black friday and he thought maybe that would help but when he removed it he said its been running better.

Fr those who think the lock ups are heat related what do you think is overheating? The video? the network part or what?

I would think playing dvds would cause more heat then streaming video but im just guessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsantos
How can you tell a point is a reflection point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcooper
sit in normal spot
have friend slide mirror on wall
see speaker? bingo!-Max
post #455 of 720 Old 12-29-2009, 10:06 PM

I got a BD-P1590 for Christmas and have a question about using the optical audio out.

The BD-P150 is paired up with an (admittedly way outdated) Philips FR968 audio receiver. I'm using optical audio to connect it since the receiver is pre-HDMI. I am having trouble getting 5.1 channel audio to come across. The receiver is reporting PCM (tested with the BD for "Up"), while the receiver would report AC-3/2.1 with my old DVD player. It seems to me like it may be an issue with DTS. The receiver can't handle DTS but can handle DD5.1. Is there any way to force the BD-P1590 to always send DD5.1 over the optical audio port or is there any other solution to the problem?
post #456 of 720 Old 12-30-2009, 12:47 AM

I began as simple as replacing small chunks at the top and then it evolved into a trial and error session with my samsung blu ray BD-p1590 with USB ports. I wanted to use that so bad I was getting annoyed knowing that as simple as updating the firmware with brazil's firmware I could use DivX on CD and USB..

I used the suggestions at the beginning of this post about the firmware so this is my trials and errors so far.

* TEST - Download Brazil Firmware and apply it to samsung bd-p1590
- Rebooted into new screen with only YouTube, as other posters predicted.
- Access to DivX did work, but no Blockbuster, Netflix, Pandora.

* V000001 - Bottom SAMSUNG Section from XAA to XAX
- Firmware updated successfully. Displayed Blockbuster, Netflix, Pandora, YouTube

* V000002 - Top header replaced
205.V].
with
205.>..
- Began verifying Firmware version and quickly died and turned off, but rebooted fine. I guess its a good thing it checks the code before applying the firmware or I would have been boxing this baby up and taking it back to a undisclosed big box store. Still showed Blockbuster, Netflix, Pandora, YouTube, no DivX. all seem to work just fine..

* V000003 - Changed top Samsung code (header and first set of code)
- On inserting, begins verifying Firmware Version...
- After 5 minutes it is still verifying the code. seems normal so far.
- Jinxed myself i guess, as soon as I wrote the comment above it then failed.
- Rebooted BD player, and same appeared. Blockbuster, Netflix, Pandora, YouTube, No DivX.

* V000004 - Used the bottom section of XAX firmware in hex editor and replaced the bottom RUF section that included a second set of SAMSUNG header like the one at the top of the file.
- On inserting, begins verifying Firmware Version...
- got the next screen that said something like "Firmware Update. Now, Processing.." (within 2 minute that it verified the firmware.
- After 4 minutes it is still updating....
- after 5.5 minutes the blu ray shutdown as it said it would after update.
- Power on. Regular screens except I receive the Youtube only screen. DivX is back...

I guess its pretty clear that we can forget to comb through the top section just yet. the second half has the divx code or flag. I know its a ton. but breaking this up into halfs will make it a bit tougher than top and bottom copying and pasting... Not sure if its time to call it quits. or just have both firmwares handy to update from one to another if needed. after all you can rename the file so it doesnt end in RUF and it will not see it on next insert. So just by renaming the extension one can toggle between the modes. Either way, this is a beginning to something better. It would be awesome if they would just do it for us without having to reverse engineer this crap..
post #457 of 720 Old 12-30-2009, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragon View Post

I got a BD-P1590 for Christmas and have a question about using the optical audio out.

The BD-P150 is paired up with an (admittedly way outdated) Philips FR968 audio receiver. I'm using optical audio to connect it since the receiver is pre-HDMI. I am having trouble getting 5.1 channel audio to come across. The receiver is reporting PCM (tested with the BD for "Up"), while the receiver would report AC-3/2.1 with my old DVD player. It seems to me like it may be an issue with DTS. The receiver can't handle DTS but can handle DD5.1. Is there any way to force the BD-P1590 to always send DD5.1 over the optical audio port or is there any other solution to the problem?

you will not get multi channel audio with it set to PCM
need to use bitstream for digital output for your setup (optical)
mine is set for Bitstream (Audiophile)
post #458 of 720 Old 12-30-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

you will not get multi channel audio with it set to PCM
need to use bitstream for digital output for your setup (optical)
mine is set for Bitstream (Audiophile)

I am aware of that. However, when I set it to Bitstream I got no sound. I believe it is sending DTS (which my receiver can't decode). Is it possible to force it to send DD5.1 in all cases?
post #459 of 720 Old 12-31-2009, 09:50 AM

I received this player (1590) for Christmas. It came with v1.03 firmware. Both Netflix and Pandora worked via a cat5 connection to my Linksys WRT54G router. I wanted Youtube and Blockbuster so after LOTS of reading (here and Cnet) I decided to take a chance and upgrade. I installed v2.04 (heard bad things about 2.05...) and - FAILURE! Netflix and Pandora still worked, but no Youtube or Blockbuster. It kept saying internet failure or something like that. I scratched my head a few days and read some more. I noticed a couple of people that said they weren't having problems also mentioned they were running DDWRT. I had been meaning to change the firmware on my router anyway so..... I installed new the firmware in my router. Go figure, EVERYTHING works! Apparently there was something in the factory Linksys firmware that did not like the Youtube internet connection.
post #460 of 720 Old 12-31-2009, 03:14 PM

I picked up a BD-P1590 at Wal-Mart last night on a whim and so far it's not exactly bowling me over. I got it hooked up to the internets last night and it happily downloaded firmware 2.0.5. Then, it hung up on the processing part and never finished. I power-cycled it this morning and all was well after that.

My biggest problem right now is with audio. I'm running and optical cable out of the BD into my DD/DTS receiver (Denon AVR-2800) and the audio I'm getting is very very quiet. Normally we view pretty much everything at about -30, but I have to turn it up to -15 or -10 for all of the Blu-Ray titles I have tried so far (The Matrix, Public Enemies, High School Musical 3). Is this normal? The system sounds seem to be at a normal volume, and the youtube videos I tried were normal too (if not a bit too loud).

Oh yeah, settings: digital output "bitstream (audiophile)", PCM downsampling off, dynamic compression off, downmixing mode "surround compatible."
post #461 of 720 Old 01-03-2010, 12:45 PM

Hello,

My BD player seems to be having issues with most all Universal Pictures discs...

Here are the 3 I cannot get to play:
Inglorious Basterds
Public Enemies
Funny People

All 3 play on PS3, but wont play the actual movie or show the menu on my 1590...
The BD loads and plays the opening previews, however the previews fragment and skip.

I think that the unit must be faulty, but I wanted to see if anyone else had issues with these same discs, or was able to play these discs with no problems...

Note, running latest firmware (2.05) and everything else is perfect... Netflix, Pandora, and DVDs all work great, just selected BD's above (so far) have the issues noted.

TIA
AVwannaB
post #462 of 720 Old 01-03-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVwannaB View Post

Hello,

My BD player seems to be having issues with most all Universal Pictures discs...

Here are the 3 I cannot get to play:
Inglorious Basterds
Public Enemies
Funny People

All 3 play on PS3, but wont play the actual movie or show the menu on my 1590...
The BD loads and plays the opening previews, however the previews fragment and skip.

I think that the unit must be faulty, but I wanted to see if anyone else had issues with these same discs, or was able to play these discs with no problems...

TIA
AVwannaB

I just watched Inglourious Basterds on my BD-P1590 today.
post #463 of 720 Old 01-03-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:

I just watched Inglourious Basterds on my BD-P1590 today.

What firm update are you running?
I am just about to backdate mine to 2.04...
post #464 of 720 Old 01-03-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:

What firm update are you running?
I am just about to backdate mine to 2.04...

I don't know. I updated to the latest on Christmas Day.
post #465 of 720 Old 01-03-2010, 02:58 PM

I recently purchased a Samsung bd - p1590 which is connected to a Denon AVR 590 via an HDMI cable. It works fine when the audio is set to the PCM mode but when I change the bd's audio mode to bitstreaming audiophile the volume coming out of my denon is extremely low. I have to crank it up to full power to hear anything and then it's not much. Funny thing, the first time I set the bitstreaming mode it worked fine, fantastic sound. Next day the sound volume was gone - I've tried everything to restore it but without success. The PCM audio mode, however, continues to work fine. Any suggestions?
post #466 of 720 Old 01-04-2010, 08:21 PM

BD-P1590 froze or frozen or freezes or bricks during firmware update....

So I took back my first 1590 and got a new one because over 50% of the blurays I have tried failed to play... I confirmed that others had success with the same discs I didi not.

So exchanged it and got a second.

Tried to update the firmware and it just seems to have stopped at the very last screen. Now 1 hour later it still reads the same message on screen and says "Net Up" on the display...

Dont know what to do now besides take it back and try another or a different brand all together.

Please let me know if you have even encountered a firmware update lock-up like described above...

Thanks
post #467 of 720 Old 01-05-2010, 06:58 AM

AVwannaB, you should always upgrade the firmware using a USB flash drive or burn a CD-R of the update. Copy the correct file(s) to the USB drive, power on the player, at the first splash screen showing BlockBuster, YouTube, Pandora Logos, Etc., plug in the USB drive and let it do it's update. You will never brick another player due to an unstable internet connection.
post #468 of 720 Old 01-05-2010, 09:07 AM

I have lurked around this thread for a while and I thought I would chime in. I received the 1590C for my birthday back in August. I have experienced zero problems with this unit. I am currently using the 2.05 firmware. I do not have Netflix, so I can’t speak on that, but I haven’t had any issues with Pandora or You Tube. I have been very happy with this unit.

I have the unit hooked up through the HDMI in on my Samsung HTIB and then out with an HDMI cable to my TV. I have an older Samsung 40" 720p LCD. The only issues I have experienced is with picture quality, but I attribute that to the 720p display. I also have the unit hooked up directly to my Linksys router. Firmware updates have been smooth, but I am going to start using the USB feature.

I know from experience that Samsung products do not play nicely with other manufactures. Are you guys that are having problems with the 1590 not using a Samsung TV? I know it shouldn’t matter, but I do know that my TV didn’t like my sisters Sony Blu-Ray player. I personally think its one of the downfalls of Samsung. I know this post is rambling, but below are the Blu-Rays that I have played without any audio/video issues

The Hangover
Taken
Inglorious Bastards
Heroes’ Season 3
National Lampoons Christmas Vacation
Public Enemies
Body of Lies
We Were Soldiers
Night at the Museum – Battle of the Smithsonian
Terminator Salvation
The Last House on the Left
Zodiac
Michael Clayton
post #469 of 720 Old 01-05-2010, 11:28 AM

JSxtreme,
It plays fine with my Samsung 6187, which is 3 years old. As a matter of fact, it will output a 1080p, 24hz signal, as where my panasonic would only sync up at 1080p, 60hz signal.
Rob
post #470 of 720 Old 01-05-2010, 12:29 PM

In the spirit of the above posts, here are the Blu-rays I have watched since August with no problems:

Flyboys
Christmas Vacation
A Christmas Story
Elf
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Night at the Museum 2
Star Trek
Up
Land of the Lost
To Kill a King
Monsters vs. Aliens
Eragon
The Greatest Game Ever Played
The Pursuit of Happyness
Duplicity
Stranger than Fiction
The Da Vinci Code
Paul Blart: Mall Cop
Coraline

Plus dozens of movies on Netflix and several AVCHD 720p DVD's. I think its a great machine, as long as you get one that works!
post #471 of 720 Old 01-05-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhulett View Post

JSxtreme,
It plays fine with my Samsung 6187, which is 3 years old. As a matter of fact, it will output a 1080p, 24hz signal, as where my panasonic would only sync up at 1080p, 60hz signal.
Rob

Nice. I am hoping to purchase a 52" Samsung 1080p 240hz (LN52B750) in the next couple of weeks. I am really eager to see how the 24fps on the 1590 delivers with the new TV.
post #472 of 720 Old 01-05-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:

BD-P1590 froze or frozen or freezes or bricks during firmware update....

.... Tried to update the firmware and it just seems to have stopped at the very last screen. Now 1 hour later it still reads the same message on screen and says "Net Up" on the display...
Please let me know if you have even encountered a firmware update lock-up like described above...

Thanks

I have mine connected to a D-Link router, and after the first power up (after initial setup) it asked to do the firmware update, I allowed it to do it and had no problem. It took about 10 minutes to complete, restarted itself and everything seems to work fine afterwards. As a matter of fact, I had some Netflix lockup issues prior to the update and it hasn't happened since. Maybe coincidental, hopefully it actually fixed it...
Overall I am very happy with this machine and would get it again.
By the way, I am connected via HDMI through a Yamaha A/V receiver to an LG 1080P TV.
post #473 of 720 Old 01-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmailhot View Post

For those of you looking for a wireless adapter - but are put off by the samsung standard wireless because of price - I have tested the Rosewill RNX-N1MAC and it works fine. This adapter is not expensive.

Thanks gmailhot! Finally got back home from vacation and had a chance to connect the Rosewill (<$30). Took seconds to connect, and reliable. Thanks to richardjb for the research!

Reasons why this is one of the best forums.
post #474 of 720 Old 01-05-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:

I am aware of that. However, when I set it to Bitstream I got no sound. I believe it is sending DTS (which my receiver can't decode). Is it possible to force it to send DD5.1 in all cases?

I'm trying to figure out the same thing. Is it possible for the player to convert and push out DD5.1 from a DTS track?

When I have the player set to bitstream and start a movie with a DTS track I get no audio, but if I use the audio button to cycle through available audio tracks to a DD5.1 track (in my test case, another language that was DD5.1 rather than DTS) it works fine.

Anyone have any suggestions other than get a new receiver?
post #475 of 720 Old 01-07-2010, 02:39 PM

I have yet to get Pandora started. When I first hooked the 1590 up with an ethernet cable it immediately updated the firmware. When I clicked Pandora it failed to find an internet connection. The internet connection test passed every part and I can play YouTube videos with no problems. I don't have a Netflix account, but I did click the Blockbuster button and it loaded all the way up.

I have a Linksys wrt54g router with the current firmware. I have rebooted it as well as restarted the 1590 a couple times with no luck. Any advice?

Oh, and blurays play fine, no problems so far.
post #476 of 720 Old 01-07-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikavuka View Post

I recently purchased a Samsung bd - p1590 which is connected to a Denon AVR 590 via an HDMI cable. It works fine when the audio is set to the PCM mode but when I change the bd's audio mode to bitstreaming audiophile the volume coming out of my denon is extremely low. I have to crank it up to full power to hear anything and then it's not much. Funny thing, the first time I set the bitstreaming mode it worked fine, fantastic sound. Next day the sound volume was gone - I've tried everything to restore it but without success. The PCM audio mode, however, continues to work fine. Any suggestions?

I had a similar problem with my Denon 4310 - around mid November, Denon released some new firmware that fixed my issue and a bunch of others who had very similar issues Samsung and LG BD players. Try updating your Denon's firmware and see if that helps.
post #477 of 720 Old 01-08-2010, 10:37 AM

So I've had my 1590 for a few months now. I only have a few small issues now:
1) Netflix: works great most of the time. About once a month I'll watch a movie and it will lockup repeatedly on the movie. Turn the player off/on and start the movie again....everything is fine. Not sure what the issue is, but since a power cycle fixes it, I know it has nothing to do with my network/setup (plus my Xbox360 Netflix never has issues.....ever).

2) Pandora: I love it, but at the beginning of each song, there will be a slight "glitch" (1/4 sec or less). This happens on each new song played. Anyone experience that? Otherwise, i think Pandora is awesome. On Xmas day I created a new station with only the word "Christmas".....it played a great selection of Xmas music all day. Very cool.
post #478 of 720 Old 01-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_tx View Post

2) Pandora: I love it, but at the beginning of each song, there will be a slight "glitch" (1/4 sec or less). This happens on each new song played.

Same issue here, whether connected to Samsung LCD or Onkyo receiver.
post #479 of 720 Old 01-09-2010, 09:51 PM

I got a BD-P-1590 for Christmas & am trying to set it up. I have it connected to the TV (Vizio) with the HDMI cable. When I turn on the player to set up the network, I press Menu & it reads Setup & I press Enter. I should then arrow up/down to get to network, but nothing happens. I have tried everything, I think, and nothing works. Is the player bad?
I also tried to just play a blu-ray disc & that didn't work either. No video, no audio, but the counter on the player was working. What gives? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I am trying to set it up with the wireless LAN adapter back to my Netgear router back in the library.
post #480 of 720 Old 01-10-2010, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_tx
2) Pandora: I love it, but at the beginning of each song, there will be a slight "glitch" (1/4 sec or less). This happens on each new song played.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbryanr View Post

Same issue here, whether connected to Samsung LCD or Onkyo receiver.

me too
optical cable connected to yamaha 5550
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd P1590 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread - P1590 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page