samsung BD-P1590 - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 720 Old 03-13-2010, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd like to know your experience using this unit to watch netflix streamed movies. What internet service are you using, what are the bandwidth requirements for good quality playback. I'm currently using the lower performance level of "clear" for an internet provider. Will this work together? am I going to see good performance with the slower download speeds or am I going to have to move to comcast to get good streaming performance. I've not signed up for netflix and have not purchased the unit yet but with the deals available I'm thinking I should get one. Please tell me your results.

Technoholic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 720 Old 03-16-2010, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I purchased this player from Costco for $169.99 back in Sept '09. It gave me problems initially with Netflix locking up (with the stuck timer on the front panel display), and Blurays not playing smoothly, but after the initial firmware update, things got better. The player updated a couple of times more and each time the player locked up less. But last Friday, the player died. While watching a Bluray movie (Boogie Nights), the movie stopped and what looked the background for the initial splash screen displayed but with multi-color artifacts scattered all over the screen. I power cycled the player, left it unplugged for long periods of time, tried to reset the player back to factory defaults (by holding the >>| button), but nothing fixed it. Every time the player is turned on, it displays the same splash background with multi-color artifacts.

I called Samsung because the player is still in warranty (Parts only) and they informed me it would cost a flat $80 for labor (plus the cost of shipping to Samsung). I feel this is too much to fix a player that never really worked right. So I will be buying something else, but not a Samsung player.
post #543 of 720 Old 03-16-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinmoorenet View Post

I purchased this player from Costco for $169.99 back in Sept '09. It gave me problems initially with Netflix locking up (with the stuck timer on the front panel display), and Blurays not playing smoothly, but after the initial firmware update, things got better. The player updated a couple of times more and each time the player locked up less. But last Friday, the player died. While watching a Bluray movie (Boogie Nights), the movie stopped and what looked the background for the initial splash screen displayed but with multi-color artifacts scattered all over the screen. I power cycled the player, left it unplugged for long periods of time, tried to reset the player back to factory defaults (by holding the >>| button), but nothing fixed it. Every time the player is turned on, it displays the same splash background with multi-color artifacts.

I called Samsung because the player is still in warranty (Parts only) and they informed me it would cost a flat $80 for labor (plus the cost of shipping to Samsung). I feel this is too much to fix a player that never really worked right. So I will be buying something else, but not a Samsung player.

Take it back to Costco. Their warranty policies are exceptional and they also automatically extend manufacturer warranties by a year. At the very least talk to their Concierge service.
post #544 of 720 Old 03-17-2010, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Two different copies of "The Girlfriend Experience" wouldn't play on my buddy's 1590. Is it firmware update time again? This movie has been out for more than six months.
post #545 of 720 Old 03-17-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowman View Post

Does the 1590 play these files? Was over at a friends and was surprised when the player wouldn't play an .avi file.

I've seen references that it does as well as .mkv files if you put it on a dvd (which I tried and still didn't work for both .avi and .mkv).

Is this region specific? Is the USA version blocked from playing .avi and .mkv files?

Update: Answering my own question.

From the US manual is states that it cannot play avi or mov files from disk or usb flash drive.

So any posts here claiming otherwise must be either wrong or from a unit for another country.
post #546 of 720 Old 03-18-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Rain View Post

I'd like to know your experience using this unit to watch netflix streamed movies. What internet service are you using, what are the bandwidth requirements for good quality playback. I'm currently using the lower performance level of "clear" for an internet provider. Will this work together? am I going to see good performance with the slower download speeds or am I going to have to move to comcast to get good streaming performance. I've not signed up for netflix and have not purchased the unit yet but with the deals available I'm thinking I should get one. Please tell me your results.

We have had two of 1590s for approximately six months. We use them mostly for Netflix streaming. We have Earthlink through a Comcast Cable Modem. We are very happy with both units but we generally power the units off and on before starting a Netflix streaming movie. Sometimes you can watch several without the buffer corruption problem starting up, but it only takes a few seconds to avoid possible frustration.

The quality of the movies is very good; much better than Comcast on Demand in standard definition and many movies are equal to Comcast on Demand in HD. We are very happy with both units.
post #547 of 720 Old 03-18-2010, 08:19 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention that we also have memory inserted in the rear USB port. It is too bad the USA players don't play HD MKV or AVI files but with everything that is available on streaming Netflix... it is not an issue for us.
post #548 of 720 Old 03-19-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:

Before upgrading our internet connection we had 1.5 Mbps and watching SD Netflix was ok, but not great. Watching HD was quite a compromise, in that NetFlix would detect the slow speed and zoom the pix a bit and downres to fit in the existing bandwidth. When watching an HD stream, the bandwidth monitor (which shows when you play a movie), the HD emblem at the end of the scale would never light.

After upgrading to 6 Mbps, everything has been quite good. The HD emblem lights every time (if the source stream is HD),and also shows more bars on the throughput graph.

To summarize: at 6 Mbps everything is "normal", both SD and HD. At 1.5 Mbps, it is apparent that quite a few compromises are being applied. I believe that NetFlix recommends at least 3 Mbps for their service.

...hasan, N0AN
post #549 of 720 Old 03-21-2010, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
can I stream video from my w7 pc as well as netflix?

tony4k
post #550 of 720 Old 03-25-2010, 08:58 AM

I don't have my player hooked up to the internet, but Samsung's site says a new firmware update just came out today. Doesn't appear to be anything too big. This Firmware update provides the following benefits:
Ver 2.08 : MAR. 25. 2010
1. Improves a specific BD title''s playback capability.

AVI playback sure would be nice.
post #551 of 720 Old 03-25-2010, 09:22 AM
s44
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbase1 View Post

can I stream video from my w7 pc as well as netflix?

No, you'll want a player that's DLNA certified. Right now these are expensive models (LG BD390, BD570, BD590, Sony PS3), but Sony's S370 is supposed to get it with a firmware update this summer.
post #552 of 720 Old 03-25-2010, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

So far ive noticed the new firmware fixed the pandora lag at the begining of every song. I have not used anything else yet.

I noticed when i would stream more then one movie at a time i would get hangs only when i would remove a movie after i had watched it, then play another one.

If i just waited to delete the movie from my list after i was done watching all i was going to watch i would not have any hang issues. I tried this several times and it did it every time i would delete a title then play another one. Ide have to power off then back on and restart the stream.

That was with the old firmware though, im about to watch a stream now with the new firmware and see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsantos
How can you tell a point is a reflection point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcooper
sit in normal spot
have friend slide mirror on wall
see speaker? bingo!-Max
post #553 of 720 Old 03-25-2010, 08:54 PM

I installed the firmware 2.08 update with a flash card early this morning. Installed in about 7 minutes.

Everything seems to work without issues. Pandora has been playing most of the day, no lag. Streemed 2 netflix movies from list, no problems at all.

Technoholic
post #554 of 720 Old 03-25-2010, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

They fixed alot more then they say they did.

Before the update i had this weird issue i didnt like, if you hit pause or the center button it would have to reload. I thought it seem a little much to have to reload just pausing it, to see the time or see the title you were watching.

Now it just resumes normaly.

We should check some other things that we had problems with to see if maybe they changed those as well.

Quote:
Quote:
sit in normal spot
see speaker? bingo!-Max
post #555 of 720 Old 03-27-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:

I installed the firmware 2.08 update with a flash card early this morning. Installed in about 7 minutes.

I am going through the 2.08 update right now. It's taken over an hour and still not done, sitting about 65%. My internet connection is good, when I do internet speed tests I get an average speed of ~14Mb/s, how fricking big is this update?!
post #556 of 720 Old 03-29-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingFan View Post

I am going through the 2.08 update right now. It's taken over an hour and still not done, sitting about 65%. My internet connection is good, when I do internet speed tests I get an average speed of ~14Mb/s, how fricking big is this update?!

How did that turn out? See prior posts in this thread about bricks created from updating through the internet. It is recommended to do it with USB drive. Hope it all worked out ok for you.
post #557 of 720 Old 03-30-2010, 03:10 AM

So far, so good. I've watched BD's, DVD's and did 1 streaming movie. All have worked properly. I am hoping it fixes freezing issues that happened when I would watch multiple streaming movies in a row. It didn't happen all the time, but often enough to be annoying.
post #558 of 720 Old 03-30-2010, 01:34 PM
KLJ

i'm having a strange problem with my 1590, hopefully someone can help. streaming netflix is flawless but whenever i try to use a blu-ray live feature it tells me i am not connected to the interent. now i can't get the latest firmware update. that also tells me i am not connected.

the strange thing is that as i said, netflix works perfectly and when i test the network settings through the menu system, it passes without issue.

any ideas?
post #559 of 720 Old 03-30-2010, 06:15 PM

audio sync issue with 2.08 firmware and new Sherlock Holmes blu-ray. I upgraded my firmware and just started watching the new Sherlock Holmes movie. When it starts a new chapter the movie jumps a little and the audio is out of sync. Anybody having the same issue?
post #560 of 720 Old 03-30-2010, 07:00 PM

Never mind. I ran the firmware update again, this time with a usb stick and the sync issues went away. weird.
post #561 of 720 Old 03-31-2010, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey guys i think i found a few issues that may cause us some future problems. See what you think?

First what caused my problem. I have a theater in my basement im using a 120" screen and a projector. Every now and then i like to lug my bluray down there because this thing looks great on the projector. Well fromm all the plug in and out ive created a problem with the optical connection. I have a few cables i picked up off e-bay that fit kinda tight when pushing them in. THey fit tight then they pop and lock into place.

My optical plug in started to push into the unit where i couldnt get that tight pop fit. Well tonight i decided to tear it open and fix that. While i had it apart i founda few issues we may have problems with later while i had it apart.

First is this a GPU? isnt this kinda like a video card processor for a PC? Looks like 4 memory chips around it. The board even says "MEM1, MEM2, MEM3 and MEM4" ont he chips surrounding it.

After the problems my nephew had with his Xbox i dont think these little rubber heat disipator things are worth using. It just sits against this little pad and makes contact with the bottom of the case.

So if this thing gets so hot they need to put a plate under ot to keep from burning anything touching it? or will this actualy prevent the GPU or what ever chip this is from keeping cool?

What do you think the pourpose is of this plastic plate?

Also while i had it apart i noticed that there are 2 other chips but only one has a cooling pad on it.

What i decided to do with those 2 chips is cut that rubber pad in half then cover both chips. I dont think they get nearly as hot as the GPU looking one. You can see the bottom of the case is actualy perferated to help disipate both chips but they only decided to use one transfer pad for some reason and leave the other uncovered with no cooling.

LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

Quote:
Quote:
sit in normal spot
see speaker? bingo!-Max
post #562 of 720 Old 03-31-2010, 03:14 AM
AVS Special Member

And then my finished optical plug

You can see that they originaly intended the optical plug to have a screw the housing even has the hole but i guess the outside case wasnt drilled or they decided not to put a screw in it to save money?

I drilled mine and put one in it.

penny thickness next to the stock transfer pad stuff that went o the GPU looking chip

I used heatsink compound on the chip i believe is a GPU, then between the 2 pennys and then finaly on the bottom penny so it sits good against the bottom of the case.

Put it all back together and so far watched a movie and now streaming some pandora.

edit: after posting this i decided to go and feel the bottom where that plastic plate is WOW that chip gets HOT! now i know that plate is to prevent burns.
LL
LL
LL

Quote:
Quote:
sit in normal spot
see speaker? bingo!-Max
post #563 of 720 Old 03-31-2010, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Would anyone be able to share acopy of 2.04 firmware ? Just upgraded to 2.08, seeming to have issues with Denon 2310 audio (have to reset both to get audio back). Will bear it for now but would like to know I could go back.
(( I do have MrHT's 1.04 -- thanks !)) -- but would like to get a copy of what I just had. Thanks for all the help & info.
post #564 of 720 Old 03-31-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGNdad View Post

Would anyone be able to share acopy of 2.04 firmware ? Just upgraded to 2.08, seeming to have issues with Denon 2310 audio (have to reset both to get audio back). Will bear it for now but would like to know I could go back.
(( I do have MrHT's 1.04 -- thanks !)) -- but would like to get a copy of what I just had. Thanks for all the help & info.

Here you go (US version 2.04 for 1590 and 1600 -- USB method):
http://www.mediafire.com/?w20mtyzil1c

Richard
post #565 of 720 Old 03-31-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 View Post

I used heatsink compound on the chip i believe is a GPU, then between the 2 pennys and then finaly on the bottom penny so it sits good against the bottom of the case.

Put it all back together and so far watched a movie and now streaming some pandora.

Bower,
What you are doing with your 2-penny heatsink is pretty risky. The reason is that the "GPU" component is a so-called "flip-chip" and has an exposed die. That rectangular shiny piece sitting on top of the substrate is actually the silicon die itself, with no protection. So if you put too much pressure on it (or particularly uneven pressure) as you screw down the circuit board, you could literally crack the die. Your pennies, with their uneven surfaces, are not going to give the best heat transfer anyway (even with the heatsink compound).

I'd be more inclined to trust that the Samsung engineers have done their design job properly, and that they used the soft heat transfer pad to minimize the risk of damaging that exposed die. Yes, the thermal resistance of that pad is probably higher than the best design that that you could conceive of using a flat heatsink and a thin thermal phase-change pad, but they will have done all the thermal testing to be confident that it works well enough to keep the chip within its desgn specs. Many chips of this type are designed to run OK at junction temperatures up to 120 degrees C.

Just my opinion - YMMV.

Richard
post #566 of 720 Old 03-31-2010, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Their design is to keep cost down and make assembly as quick and easy as possible. I didnt screw the board down hard enough to damage anything.

Ive been messing with glass core chips way back when the first flip-chip P3 500 came out they can take alot more then you think.

Heat is another issue and i dont think there is any thermal protection on it.

Ill take the risk because i feel this is a better transfer of heat then that pad.

If it burns up ill come back and post some pics.

Quote:
Quote:
sit in normal spot
see speaker? bingo!-Max
post #567 of 720 Old 04-01-2010, 05:28 AM

I still have issues with the 2.08 firmware. If I play a blu-ray and hit the stop button and then try to play it again. The disc starts from the beginning. If I remember correctly the player wasn't doing that before the update
So I'd like to flash the player with an older firmware.
If I remember correctly the last firmware update before 2.08 was 2.05. Does anybody know where to get it?
Thanks!
Erik
post #568 of 720 Old 04-01-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix234 View Post

I still have issues with the 2.08 firmware. If I play a blu-ray and hit the stop button and then try to play it again. The disc starts from the beginning. If I remember correctly the player wasn't doing that before the update
So I'd like to flash the player with an older firmware.
If I remember correctly the last firmware update before 2.08 was 2.05. Does anybody know where to get it?
Thanks!
Erik

Here's a copy of US 2.05 USB method (for both 1590 and 1600):
http://www.mediafire.com/?ymkztthymnj
post #569 of 720 Old 04-01-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardjb View Post

Here's a copy of US 2.05 USB method (for both 1590 and 1600):
http://www.mediafire.com/?ymkztthymnj

Thanks a million!

Erik
post #570 of 720 Old 04-01-2010, 08:08 AM
s44
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix234 View Post

If I play a blu-ray and hit the stop button and then try to play it again. The disc starts from the beginning. If I remember correctly the player wasn't doing that before the update

No, this depends on the disc. I wouldn't blame it on the firmware.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd P1590 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread - P1590 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page